Author Topic: Fish v. Weltschmerz on September 25th, apparently?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Fish v. Weltschmerz on September 25th, apparently?
« on: July 12, 2020, 11:56:54 AM »
Weltschmerz was supposed to be released on July 10th. I've seen no reviews for it, and no updates on his website re. any delays. Anyone know what's up?

June and July were supposed to be the best months ever for prog, but they've turned out utter balls!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:09:51 AM by RoeDent »

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fish v. Where on earth is Weltschmerz?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »
Weltschmerz was supposed to be released on July 10th. I've seen no reviews for it, and no updates on his website re. any delays. Anyone know what's up?

June and July were supposed to be the best months ever for prog, but they've turned out utter balls!

It's to be released in September

He posted about the Delux CD version yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/54830663586/posts/10157395393938587/

Copying the text here for anyone without FB

Here's the dummy of the deluxe version of the 'Weltschmerz' album that I've just been sent by Mark Wilkinson.

We decided to go out with something very special on my final album and came up with this idea that definitely fits the bill!

Its a hardback book in a slipcase similar to the 'Feast of Consequences' deluxe version but the content I consider quite spectacular.

The hardback book has 100 pages of new original Mark Wilkinson artwork, photos, and illustrations with contributions by his wife Julie and others including Keith Mc Intyre ('The Guddler').

Together with the lyrics I've also written 8000 words of sleevenotes about the history of the creation of 'Weltschmerz' detailing the journey with all it's twists and curves.

As well as the double album across 2 cd's this is the first time I've gone for a Blu Ray as the content is immense.

The track listing for the albums are-

CD1 -42 mins
1) Grace of God (Dick/Boult/Vantsis)
2) Man with a Stick (Dick/ Vantsis/Boult)
3) Walking on Eggshells (Dick/Vantsis)
4) This Party’s Over (Dick/Boult/Vantsis)
5) Rose of Damascus (Dick/Vantsis/Boult)

CD2 -42 mins
6) Garden of Remembrance (Dick/JC Mitchell)
7) C Song (The Trondheim Waltz) (Dick/Paterson/Boult)
8) Little Man What Now? (Dick/Vantsis/Boult)
9) Waverley Steps (End of The Line) (Dick/Vantsis/Boult)
10) Weltschmerz (Dick/Vantsis)

produced by Calum Malcolm and Steve Vantsis

The Blu Ray
Video – ‘The Tale of Weltschmerz’ – Fish in conversation with Will Smith        (1hr20m)
Directed by David Barras and Scott Mackay

Video – ‘Behind the Masque’ – an interview with Mark & Julie Wilkinson    (25 mins)
Directed by David Lam and Hannah Thompson

‘Weltschmerz’ Full Album DTS Master Audio HD 5.1 – 48k 24 bit

and

the full Album Linear PCM Wav – 48k 24 bit

‘Weltschmerz’ Live Audio Tracks from UK tour 2018
Recorded live in Norwich, UEA December 4th

1) Man with a Stick (Dick , Vantsis, Boult)
2) Little Man What Now? (Dick, Vantsis, Boult)
3) C Song (The Trondheim Waltz) (Dick, Paterson, Boult)
4) Waverley Steps (End of the Line) (Dick, Vantsis, Boult)

Promo videos-

‘Man with a Stick’ and ‘making of’
Directed by Miles Skarin

‘Weltschmerz’ and ‘making of’
Directed by David Barras and Scott Mackay

‘Garden of Remembrance’ and ‘making of’
Directed by David Lam and Hannah Thompson

‘This Party’s Over’ and ‘making of’
Directed by Miles Skarin

I think you'll agree it's a wealth of material and the first time I have ever gone for a 5-1 mix which has been brilliantly put together by Avril Mackintosh and Andy Bradfield ( 'Script' , 'Clutching' remasters)

The 'Weltschmerz' deluxe version is £49.99 including VAT and will only be available through https://fishmusic.scot/

Preorder starts on the 24th July and the album is released on the 25th September.

I'll get details on the double vinyl version and the standard double digipak version in the next week and there will be a pre order page on the https://fishmusic.scot/ website set up for the launch on 24th July.

It's all getting very real now
and very exciting :-)

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Fish v. Weltschmerz on September 25th, apparently?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:38:21 AM »
Preorder is finally open. Just locked in my deluxe edition.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online HOF

Online HOF

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 03:14:00 PM »
Listened to it now. It’s a nice song and the video has some great visuals. I prefer this kind of stuff from Fish at this point.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 04:03:26 PM »
Will not listen to any singles for this..   the EP, Parlay With Angels has already made me hear enough of the album

Preordered the delux edition

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 06:30:00 PM »
I'll be preordering the deluxe soon.  The Parlay With Angels EP is mixed differently.

I've been watching Fish On Friday since May and he's been previewing part of the album. Other than that I've not heard anything new either.

Still have to watch today's episode which I'm sure will be another good one.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 04:54:14 AM »
Struggling to find any posts about this album here. Am I missing something?

Anyway, my fandom of Marillion only ever extended to the first four albums but I never really followed Fish after that.

I saw a reference to Weltschmerz a couple of days ago and thought I'd give it a listen. It's genuinely surprised me. So relaxing.

Anyone else listening to it?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 05:11:03 AM »
Still waiting for my deluxe edition

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 07:13:47 AM »
I can't really decide on this.  I will get it at some point, but it's pretty steep for anything beyond the standard release (and that's not cheap either).  If my math is right, it's $25 for the standard, and $65 for that plus the album in 5.1, a handful of live tracks, a handful of videos and some documentaries.    FOR ME, while I usually watch the docs, that's $40 for a 5.1 mix and some live tracks.   Having a hard time justifying that.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 07:23:49 AM »

Same. As the physical is only offered by Fish from his own store, my guess is I won't get it for a couple of weeks what with the ridiculous shipping times lately.

EDIT: And I just got my shipping notice from his webstore. I don't expect to see this for at least 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:17:44 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »

Same. As the physical is only offered by Fish from his own store, my guess is I won't get it for a couple of weeks what with the ridiculous shipping times lately.

EDIT: And I just got my shipping notice from his webstore. I don't expect to see this for at least 3 weeks.

We did too. There is plenty of other music to listen to at the moment. I'm still backlogged by what is already here.

It's pretty amazing what he his able to do with such a small overhead.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 06:48:06 PM »

We did too. There is plenty of other music to listen to at the moment. I'm still backlogged by what is already here.

It's pretty amazing what he his able to do with such a small overhead.

Absolutely! I'm sure you got the same email from him that I did. 10,000 orders for this record and they did not expect that at all. I'm glad for him and for this kind of demand for his final record. I'll get it when I get it. Last I checked, my package was on a plane to the US. Oh, it landed in NY just over an hour ago. USPS says 10/8 for delivery. I'll believe it when I see it.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »
Definitely not getting my copy tomorrow. USPS dropped the ball again. Took 3 days to get from the UK to NYC. Then it sat for 4 days before moving all the way to Queens.  >:(

It claims to have departed from Queens today, but in no way will I get it tomorrow. If it hits Chicago first, it will sit there for at least 4-5 days, guaranteed, as that has been the m.o. for a while now.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 03:31:35 AM »
Got my copy yesterday..... yey!!!!

Such a  beautiful edition. Love these types of books... and filled with wonderful images penned by Mark and Julie Wilkinson it looks soo great.

Love the music too.... of course, I was already familiar with 3 of the 10 tracks as they were on the Parlay with Angels EP.

Saw the interview last night and found an interresting coincidence. A few weeks ago I was in for an MRI scan. Just checking that there were no aneurisms present, which there were not.
While in there in the white tube there is a lot of sound. How it sounds changes and for a while there was this cool rythm and I thought.... hmm some guitars here and we could get a cool song.
Fish had the same thought when he did an MRI and he used that sound in Grace of God.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 09:38:54 AM »
Mine just showed up as well. This is another gorgeous deluxe set from Fish. The quality with which he made these last 2 deluxe books is just excellent. Well worth the money. Still need to listen to it, but I am very pleased with this.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »
Mine just showed up as well. This is another gorgeous deluxe set from Fish. The quality with which he made these last 2 deluxe books is just excellent. Well worth the money. Still need to listen to it, but I am very pleased with this.

Got mine yesterday. Looks great. Unfortunately,  don't think I'll have the chance to give this the proper listen it deserves until later in the week. Still hooked on Flying Colors - Live in London. It's going to be great.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 06:11:35 PM »
Have only listened to the CD and it's really good. Not sure if it's better than Feast of Consequences but it's definitely up there. Haven't gotten to the DVD yet.

Fish on Friday was great again too. For anyone interested, he goes over some of his reasoning behind the business decisions he made in the '90s. Not all of it new, but he adds some of the details.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2021, 09:21:24 AM »
I finally have the 2 LP version of Weltschmerz in my collection. Fish apparently printed a second batch of LPs and it can be bought for the regular price instead of the insane prices on Discogs: https://fishmusic.scot/store/albums/weltschmerz/product/weltschmerz-vinyl/159

I'm not at all a Fish fan (don't know much of his music), but Weltschmerz sounded so interesting in the reviews that I had to get it. I have listened to the album once and wow, it's a pretty heavy chunk of music to digest. There's a LOT of vocals and lyrics and I feel like Fish has a lot of thoughts on his mind, so this might be one of these albums where you HAVE to read the lyrics. Everything is reflective and often melancholic, nostalgic, somber. Weltschmerz is a German term, with Welt meaning world and Schmerz meaning pain, and the music reflects this. Not an easy album.
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2021, 10:15:49 AM »
I finally have the 2 LP version of Weltschmerz in my collection. Fish apparently printed a second batch of LPs and it can be bought for the regular price instead of the insane prices on Discogs: https://fishmusic.scot/store/albums/weltschmerz/product/weltschmerz-vinyl/159

I'm not at all a Fish fan (don't know much of his music), but Weltschmerz sounded so interesting in the reviews that I had to get it. I have listened to the album once and wow, it's a pretty heavy chunk of music to digest. There's a LOT of vocals and lyrics and I feel like Fish has a lot of thoughts on his mind, so this might be one of these albums where you HAVE to read the lyrics. Everything is reflective and often melancholic, nostalgic, somber. Weltschmerz is a German term, with Welt meaning world and Schmerz meaning pain, and the music reflects this. Not an easy album.

I tend to have a hard time with Fish’s solo albums though there is always some good stuff on each release. I was meaning to check this one out based on the early tracks that were released, but hadn’t gotten around to it. Maybe today is the day!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »
Is it me, or is there almost no buzz about this?  Is it any good?  I didn't get it, because the versions were so disparate (base version, not cheap, and the super insane deluxe, with a lot of stuff I want but a lot of stuff I don't, really not cheap).   Someday I will - I have everything else by him - but he's no longer one of my must-buy, go-to's musically.

Online HOF

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »
Is it me, or is there almost no buzz about this?  Is it any good?  I didn't get it, because the versions were so disparate (base version, not cheap, and the super insane deluxe, with a lot of stuff I want but a lot of stuff I don't, really not cheap).   Someday I will - I have everything else by him - but he's no longer one of my must-buy, go-to's musically.

I saw it get some high rankings on end of year lists in some places. It seems like it was kind of talked about for a long time leading up to the release and then the discussion died down right afterward.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 07:55:09 PM »

I love it. Think it's great. May not be quite as good as Feast Of Consequences but it's almost there.  It's a very diverse album with a lot of different textures and sounds. Lyrics are top notch as well, but I don't know if any of that will mean anything to you. It's his last studio album ever (Although he's not through releasing deluxe editions) He's about to sign off on Vigil and 13th Star is expected to be next one after that which leaves Internal Exile as the final Deluxe. There may be some live material after that but other than that it's music career over.

Next phase is author/screenwriter (which interests me a a lot. Your mileage may vary.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 08:00:59 PM »

I saw it get some high rankings on end of year lists in some places. It seems like it was kind of talked about for a long time leading up to the release and then the discussion died down right afterward.

Didn't see the point of discussion here when there wasn't a lot of interest.  Been watching Fish of Friday (not live) every week for almost a year now so I've been getting my fix hearing him talk every week. There are very few people that I would devote this much attention on a regular basis, but Fish is one.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 11:31:36 PM »
Album of the year 2020 for me. But then I am a big fan of Fish.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 07:35:48 AM »

I love it. Think it's great. May not be quite as good as Feast Of Consequences but it's almost there.  It's a very diverse album with a lot of different textures and sounds. Lyrics are top notch as well, but I don't know if any of that will mean anything to you. It's his last studio album ever (Although he's not through releasing deluxe editions) He's about to sign off on Vigil and 13th Star is expected to be next one after that which leaves Internal Exile as the final Deluxe. There may be some live material after that but other than that it's music career over.

Next phase is author/screenwriter (which interests me a a lot. Your mileage may vary.)

I mean this in a far more positive and supportive way than it's going to sound, but.... what are the odds of that sticking?  I love a lot of what he's done, I make sure to see him on every one of his not very frequent tours of the States, but let's be honest: he's had more "cunning plans" than Kiss has compilations, or Portnoy has bands. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2021, 01:24:51 AM »
I wonder how much of the lack of buzz is partly due to the fact that Fish decided to do all the distribution of the album himself. I don't think it's available in record stores. Idk about Amazon either. It is on Spotify however so that should have created some buzz, but clearly not.

I listened to one of the longer tracks on Spotify and found it a bit boring, tbh.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2021, 11:28:18 AM »
I liked the record on release but didn't feel the need to return to it. Walking on Eggshells was good. A couple of other songs were good.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2021, 07:35:55 PM »

I mean this in a far more positive and supportive way than it's going to sound, but.... what are the odds of that sticking?  I love a lot of what he's done, I make sure to see him on every one of his not very frequent tours of the States, but let's be honest: he's had more "cunning plans" than Kiss has compilations, or Portnoy has bands.

The author/screenwriting thing has kind of been happening in the background for years but it will just become a primary focus after retirement from music. Most of those "cunning plans" were derived from the pair of lawsuits he was involved with EMI and Marillion 30 years ago.. He's in a more sustainable place now.  It's not like he just decided "Oh I'll become an author now and write screenplays." 

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2021, 03:20:25 PM »
So did anyone else not know that "Mission Statement" was co-written by Rick Astley? I just found that out today.

Online HOF

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2021, 03:49:26 PM »
So did anyone else not know that "Mission Statement" was co-written by Rick Astley? I just found that out today.

I’ve never heard the song, but I did know he wrote a song with Fish.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2021, 07:52:33 AM »

Did they write it together, or did Fish have to credit him because something was close to a song that Astley did?  I don't care, and I'm not implying that Fish couldn't or shouldn't write with him or anybody.  I'm just interested in the dynamic.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2021, 08:21:52 AM »
The thing I read on Wikipedia, (so it must be true), says they wrote it together.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 01:02:25 PM »

Might be worth trying to ask him during Fish on Friday.

Online HOF

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2021, 07:42:51 PM »

Might be worth trying to ask him during Fish on Friday.

He talks about it in this interview:

https://myglobalmind.com/2014/09/12/interview-fish-vocals-fish-former-marillion/

MGM : Was that the one where Rick Astley was there as well?

Fish : Yeah, that’s right.  Mission Statement I wrote with Rick Astley.  It was interesting.  It was quite bizarre, you know, it was an interesting experiment.  It was a bit of a wake-up because I’d never been in that situation before where somebody said to me, “Okay, meet so and so, and so and so.  You’ve gotta write a song in a day.”  And we were down there for one week and we had to basically write…[coughs]…bloody builders dust!  So you’re basically put in a situation with complete strangers and you’re sitting there writing and it was a completely different discipline and it was quite exciting and since then I’ve approached songwriting in a slightly different way.  I’m not as intimidated by it as I used to be.