Author Topic: Supreme Court rules east half of Oklahoma is Native American Reservation  (Read 538 times)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
I was shocked at this news, but I also don't really know what it means.

What will happen to the State?  Will this just be criminal law?  What about the people who live there?  What about local governments?

I thought this would be interesting to discuss.  Here is a link to an article on it:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/politics/tribal-territory-supreme-court-ruling/index.html
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
I heard about this too, very intriguing, but will follow to hear what the smarter legal type people have to say.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
It means, any major crimes is turned over to federal instead of State, as Native Nations are Sovereign. We only follow Federal laws.

Navajo Nation spans 4 States, and the Tohono O'Odham is within 2 countries, it lies on the border in Southern Arizona.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
It means, any major crimes is turned over to federal instead of State, as Native Nations are Sovereign. We only follow Federal laws.

Navajo Nation spans 4 States, and the Tohono O'Odham is within 2 countries, it lies on the border in Southern Arizona.

Are you Native American Ben?

I wonder how this will affect the surrounding states?  I also wonder if cities and counties within the boundaries will need to be dissolved?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

I wonder how this will affect the surrounding states?  I also wonder if cities and counties within the boundaries will need to be dissolved?

Yes, I am.

What happened here, is the State of Oklahoma neglected and ignored the Tribes Sovereign Nation Land guaranteed to them by the Treaty. So, all that is created within That Tribes boundaries by the State, should be subject to that Tribes Laws and Federal Laws only.

Here in New Mexico, Tribes have Tribal Police. We don't go through city or county or state. They work alongside the county and state. Because if you commit a crime on Tribal Land, you go through that Tribes Court and not all Tribes courts are the same.

It's interesting here because we have many Nations of Tribes, 19 Pueblo, Navajo, and Apache. All with our own laws, specific to each Tribe.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:30:37 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty

Yes, I am.

What happened here, is the State of Oklahoma neglected and ignored the Tribes Sovereign Nation Land guaranteed to them by the Treaty. So, all that is created within That Tribes boundaries by the State, should be subject to that Tribes Laws and Federal Laws only.

Here in New Mexico, Tribes have Tribal Police. We don't go through city or county or state. They work alongside the county and state. Because if you commit a crime on Tribal Land, you go through that Tribes Court and not all Tribes courts are the same.

It's interesting here because we have many Nations of Tribes, 19 Pueblo, Navajo, and Apache. All with our own laws, specific to each Tribe.

That helps a ton Ben, thanks!