Author Topic: The state of the forum?  (Read 10258 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The state of the forum?
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2020, 12:04:17 PM »
My new car, bought last year, couldn't have a CD. I got used to the USB port, I can dedicate a pendrive to the car, but I'm annoyed that the car has adopted the "playlist" mentality, and I have to create a playlist each time I add new music.

PLAY - THE - M'FKIN - FOLDER  dammit!!!

I can't believe that for future devices and mp3 players I will have to investigate if there's a "play folder" option.

You could just move from making folders to playlists.  :P

I've spent the last week starting and stopping an organization project that involves divying up my massive 4500-song 'favorites' playlist in Spotify into multiple smaller playlists. Problem is at some point I make soooo many playlists that trying to decide which songs go into which playlist(s) ends up in me panicking and quitting the project after making a couple dozen playlists for different styles/situations/moods. I have a problem :( too many genres/styles/moods to categorize, and some that don't fit anything, and some that are impossible to describe or label via a single genre name.
Owning a large mp3 collection ftw.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »
My new car, bought last year, couldn't have a CD. I got used to the USB port, I can dedicate a pendrive to the car, but I'm annoyed that the car has adopted the "playlist" mentality, and I have to create a playlist each time I add new music.

PLAY - THE - M'FKIN - FOLDER  dammit!!!

I can't believe that for future devices and mp3 players I will have to investigate if there's a "play folder" option.

You could just move from making folders to playlists.  :P

I've spent the last week starting and stopping an organization project that involves divying up my massive 4500-song 'favorites' playlist in Spotify into multiple smaller playlists. Problem is at some point I make soooo many playlists that trying to decide which songs go into which playlist(s) ends up in me panicking and quitting the project after making a couple dozen playlists for different styles/situations/moods. I have a problem :( too many genres/styles/moods to categorize, and some that don't fit anything, and some that are impossible to describe or label via a single genre name.
Owning a large mp3 collection ftw.

See, with my physical collection I have no desire to make playlists because everything is organized and tagged just right and in their proper folders. But with the digital library, at least for Spotify, my only real option for organization is with playlists. I can browse my saved albums or just put every song into one massive master list but that's a hassle. :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2020, 12:07:33 PM »
I think a key is knowing when to stop going overboard on playlists.

I used to have 6 main ones (and a few specific ones that were easy to remake) but then eventually got it down to one major playlist and shuffle. It takes a long time to make it, but once it's done, I save it on my Itunes, so that if I ever get a new Ipod, I can just transfer the playlist over.

If you find yourself needing dozens of specific playlists, then that might be a bit of an issue.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »
I think a key is knowing when to stop going overboard on playlists.

I used to have 6 main ones (and a few specific ones that were easy to remake) but then eventually got it down to one major playlist and shuffle. It takes a long time to make it, but once it's done, I save it on my Itunes, so that if I ever get a new Ipod, I can just transfer the playlist over.

If you find yourself needing dozens of specific playlists, then that might be a bit of an issue.

It's definitely a personal issue. Like, if I make a playlist for one genre, I feel an irrational need to make playlists for every genre I come across, so I can have everything organized by genre, so that when I hit 'shuffle' on my favorites playlist I'm not getting whipash from going from 60s pop to 2017 epic power metal followed by Weird Al and then some melodeath.  :lol

I guess I'll just have to retrain the way I approach playlists and learn to be okay with not putting every single song into its own special playlist.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2020, 12:20:46 PM »
so that when I hit 'shuffle' on my favorites playlist I'm not getting whipash from going from 60s pop to 2017 epic power metal followed by Weird Al and then some melodeath.  :lol

For me, I don't mind this.  When I shuffle my library, for one, I expect everything should be something I could listen to.  So even when I get one genre followed by something totally different, in my mind, that shouldn't and usually doesn't bother me.  I can also push the next button (which I often do while driving because I feel like I only want energetic music during my commute going 80+mph and not Bob Marley).  But I understand the mindset of organization, I just gave up doing that a long time ago as playlists don't seem to last forever as you change devices over time.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »
My general approach is, if I like it enough, I'll own it. If I don't, then I don't need it all in Spotify playlists - I have all my RYM ratings to keep track of what I liked but not enough to own.

Probably helps that I'm very much an album listener.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2020, 01:19:44 PM »
I’m like that too, Rich - album listener. I’ve got about 20-30 themed playlists in ITunes I go to occasionally, but for the most part I’ll just randomly chose some bands or albums, and let em spin.  For Spotify, I just save full albums into various categorized folders. I can’t be stuffed to make themed playlists there x my playlists are albums.  The interface is shit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2020, 01:26:44 PM »
Nothing like hitting shuffle and getting....  that 90 second interlude of ocean sounds, or some shit like that.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2020, 02:08:15 PM »
...or hearing 6 different live versions of Hallowed Be Thy Name in the first 12 shuffles.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2020, 02:09:11 PM »
...or hearing 6 different live versions of Hallowed Be Thy Name in the first 12 shuffles.

That sounds more like a problem with your library's diversity.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2020, 02:15:35 PM »
Or Tim has a 1st edition 2 GB I-Pod. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2020, 02:17:09 PM »
Or Tim has a 1st edition 2 GB I-Pod. :lol

I have a 30G and two 160Gs.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »
2 - 160's?  One a hand me down to your kids?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2020, 02:26:27 PM »
Those 160s probably make awesome paperweights these days!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2020, 02:44:31 PM »
Those 160s probably make awesome paperweights these days!

I'll be honest.  I love them more than my 256GB I-Pod touch.  So many issues with the new one.  It's starting to piss me off.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »
2 - 160's?  One a hand me down to your kids?

I had a 160, and then it was basically full. For our 20th, I had my wife buy me another one. They were already discontinued, so it was pricey, but I used it, so it was worth it.

I did buy a different mp3 player, but it was so complicated and cumbersome to load tracks on it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2020, 03:41:30 PM »
I am generally not a playlist guy either, although I have a few (classic rock, 80's, etc.). I am more of an artist guy, where I will get on a kick for days or even weeks at a time with one. Sometimes that results in full album listens, and sometimes I like bouncing all over their discography.  It varies based on my mood and what sounds really good at any particular moment.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2020, 03:55:12 PM »
I make playlists for mowing the lawn and long trips in the car for the most part. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »
Generally, I'm an album guy.  Simple, play the album, once over find another one to listen to (or if it's a new album I'm enjoying, play it again).  I do the full library shuffle when I can't figure out what I want to listen to.  Maybe I'll create a playlist for certain occassions (people over, doing a road trip, for a flight) but I don't do genre specific lists, just things that I feel I want in that moment usually. 

Even with a large library, it's amazing how many times a song will come on back to back with like different live or an album/live version.  I would wish the shuffle would be smarter to know "hey they are different files, but the song name is the same so skip it!"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »
Apple’s “random” algorithm absolutely blows.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »
Apple’s “random” algorithm absolutely blows.

I think about this a lot.  I use the samsung basic music app, and I sometimes wonder if I don't skip a song on random, it seems like I am more likely to get another song by the same band.  Is that just a mental thing or is that built into the algorithm?  These are the things I think about while driving sometimes.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2020, 06:33:11 PM »
I can't remember the last time I ever used shuffle on purpose. I've mistakenly pressed it on my music app Poweramp a few times. I did use shuffle a lot back in the day when I got my first mp3 player a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2020, 01:43:37 PM »
A buddy of mine used to drive a Datsun B-210 (Google it).  It was bright orange, with - I shit you not - yellow and purple racing stripes down the side, 4 on the floor, and an in-dash 8-track player.

Possibly the greatest vehicle of all time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.