Author Topic: Violent Green's son.  (Read 10557 times)

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Re: Violent Green's son.
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2020, 06:52:15 AM »
Thanks I made space on this one. Not sure if I know my cds login anymore but will check when I’m on my laptop later!
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2020, 07:09:12 AM »
This was a time way before my existence on the forum but this was very moving to read. He seemed like a great guy and I hope you find what you're looking for.  :)

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2020, 12:35:50 PM »
Jen, I say this with the utmost respect. It is crazy the stuff you saved.

My wife and I butt heads all the time. I have little attachment to the past and am a bit of a minimalist as I'd rather have space than stuff, so I am always wanting to ditch stuff. She is more sentimental and always thinks we will either find a sue for something or a place we can store it. If I haven't talked to someone in over a year, chances are they aren't in my contacts any longer. Emails where the conversation has run its course.... deleted. She has an email from June 2016 from someone looking for a recommendation for childcare for their newborn (though that isn't saved intentionally, that is just email box mismanagement and neglect). I save and catalog all our pictures, but that's just because we want them of our kids growing up. I do not need any pictures of myself, or anyone other than my wife (and I don't know how many of those I need either  :D)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »

My wife and I butt heads all the time. I have little attachment to the past and am a bit of a minimalist as I'd rather have space than stuff, so I am always wanting to ditch stuff. She is more sentimental and always thinks we will either find a sue for something or a place we can store it. If I haven't talked to someone in over a year, chances are they aren't in my contacts any longer. Emails where the conversation has run its course.... deleted. She has an email from June 2016 from someone looking for a recommendation for childcare for their newborn (though that isn't saved intentionally, that is just email box mismanagement and neglect). I save and catalog all our pictures, but that's just because we want them of our kids growing up. I do not need any pictures of myself, or anyone other than my wife (and I don't know how many of those I need either  :D)
my external hard drive is like 8 inches by 3 inches by 6 inches. It doesn’t take up much space at all but it holds terabytes of memories. Once mark died I knew I was the sole keeper of many things for his son.

It’s crazy the things people DON’T cherish and save.

When I did my genealogy I was blessed there were photos aNd letters. What will your descendants have?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:23:37 PM by JustJen »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »

my external hard drive is like 8 inches by 3 inches by 6 inches. It doesn’t take up much space at all but it holds terabytes of memories. Once mark died I knew I was the sole keeper of many things for his son.

It’s crazy the things people DON’T cherish and save.

When I did my genealogy I was blessed there were photos aNd letters. What will your descendants have?

I have saved every single picture we have taken since our first kid was born (and backed up on two separate flash drives). I am saving a bunch of their school work, artwork, and such as well. It's the things like the 8th pink baby blanket that we never actually used that I want to get rid of. I don't care if my aunt's step-sister's niece that we've never met bought it for us.

Some things I don't need or want to keep memories of. tl;dr but a while back I decided it was best to close the door on my high school life, so I tossed the yearbooks, pictures, and anything else from that time in my life. The memories are still locked away in my brain should I want to access them. But I don't need any of the tangible items for any reason.

I realize I am talking about my memories, versus someone else's, as you handled for ViolentGreen and thus ViolentPink (an admirable and honorable task), so I will try not to deviate any longer.

There was a thread a while back about the "filming of our lives" that was an interesting discussion that touches on this topic. It got a little political at times, but a still a good and possibly relevant discussion.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=51955.msg2408003#msg2408003
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2020, 01:22:38 PM »
someone should get hefdaddy over here.
I am here.

ViolentPink, I knew your father, as well I could know anyone online-only at that time.  In many ways, I found him to be a kindred spirit.  We both looked at religion in ways that would be considered unorthodox in mainstream society.  I was staggered, at times, by his intellect, but also by how approachable he was.

We discussed matters of the greatest spiritual and philosophical rigor, but also matters of the greatest whimsy.  Both were equally important to him, and both remain important to me.

He was a great influence on me in multiple ways, not the least of which was music.  He introduced me to whole new musical styles (as did other people here at DTF).  He helped me to expand my mind, in so many ways.

I miss Mark very much, and have thought of him often over the years.  I would give almost anything for his fate to thave been different.  I know that you probably don't have a lot of memories of him, but believe me when I tell you that you have much of which to be proud.

Love cannot bear, indeed.

Godspeed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2020, 03:04:00 PM »

Dude, no making me cry while I'm at the pool.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2020, 03:41:56 PM »

Or while I’m waiting for my Chinese food.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2020, 07:56:20 PM »

Or while I’m waiting for my Chinese food.
:hat
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2020, 05:27:31 AM »
This whole thread is amazing.

@VioletPink

I've been around since 2004, but I was pretty young then. In my 16 years with this bunch, I've never read anything negative about the man.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2020, 07:48:47 AM »
What a hell of a thread for me to come back to.

He was probably the person I respected and looked up to the most. They way he defended his arguments, his eloquence, articulation and such were always top-notch.

But more than that, he taught me a lot. He even influenced the way I typed. Before him, I didn't care about proper punctuation and grammar. I talked in 'aimspeak.' (lazy shorthand often seen in AOL Instant Messenger). I looked up to him so much that I emulated him, because his articulation commanded so much respect.

More importantly, he taught me to let go of my preconceptions and to be more accepting of others, despite how different they might be. He taught me to be a lot more kind and open-minded. Granted, these are lessons my mom would try to instill in me, but, at the time, I was going through a phase where I refused to hear her wisdom. Like a lot of teens, I looked outside the home for influence, and that influence happened to be your dad.

The world needs more people like him. Carry on his legacy.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »
What a hell of a thread for me to come back to.

Like a lot of teens, I looked outside the home for influence, and that influence happened to be your dad.

The world needs more people like him.

glad to see you stopped back. have thought of you several times over all the years that have somehow gone by. hope everything's been good. :)

That quote above really sums a lot up for me too, even though I was older. I really thought he was going to live his entire life being exactly THAT to everyone he met.

Though,  you know what -- I guess he DID.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2020, 10:44:23 PM »
this topic is kind of surreal.

I mostly post in the Music Forum, so I never saw this topic, but noticed JustJen post, just seeing her name feels like a total blast from the past.

As far as Violent Green, I knew him on dt.net, here, 5/8, and rateyourmusic. I didn't know him as well as others, but did well enough to always respect his opinions and taste. I guess I always thought of him like myself and Jen as Marillion fanatics, especially in the early days. I know he later got incredibly passionate about a lot of other music (as many of us), 1 band being King Crimson. I recall his guide to their discography on rateyourmusic was on the Front Page, maybe more than once.

I must admit though, when I'm on rateyourmusic now, I look at certain album ratings from friends, and whenever I see his name pop up it stands out. I kind of feel if he even rated it (whether high or low), it had me curious to check out (for music I had not).

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2020, 05:09:39 AM »
Just gonna bump this for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. I know he'll be back to check out any and all new messages.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2020, 02:26:30 PM »
May also want to check out fiveeightforums.com (long story, the other forum that sprung from the one that VG used to post at).

I think registration is closed to new members there, but there are many people who remember him there, and I'm sure someone here who still posts at both forums could help you connect.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2021, 05:44:37 PM »
Well. I cannot believe how the world works. I had told @ViolentPink that I had sent his dad ViolentGreen a CD that I had Steve Hogarth sign for him in 2004 when I saw my first concert after a decade of being a stay at home mom and not seeing any live shows. Mark was instrumental in helping shape my music taste, and encouraged me to go to the show even though it was 4 hours away, and when I was there I bought him the Marbles two CD set and had it signed for him. I took this first pic in 2004. And a couple of weeks ago ViolentPink sent me the second pic. He found it in his dad's stuff.

Truly amazing stuff. This community is so incredible, and has such a rich history. I'm so glad to have been a part of it for so long, even when largely absent the past many years.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2021, 05:29:54 AM »
Jen... the world works in mysterious ways.  Yesterday, in another thread discussing lyrics, I ended up going back to the thread about the Top-5 albums that influenced your life.  Well, in that thread, you'd posted that Marbles was your #3, and had referenced the story about you/Mark.  As I was scrolling through that thread, I have no idea how I stumbled on to this link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqFT-_xj3Cw

I tried to text it to Violent Pink, (since he had given me his # when I connected you/him), but I'm not sure if he would've thought it was random spam (even though I opened with "this is jingle.boy from DTF").  It's good to hear you're still in contact, maybe you want to share this with him to ensure he did in fact see/watch it.

Or maybe he'd already seen it.

Anyway ... as I said, the world works in mysterious ways for you to post here like that, the day after I was scrolling through that thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2021, 06:36:43 AM »
I remember your dad very well; I was extremely active here back then and he was always an articulate, thoughtful member of the board and a welcome participant in any conversation. I'm glad you found your way here, and I hope finding some of his old friends and acquaintances brings you into some closer contact with who he was.

Mark was a good dude, and I find the cyclical nature of things in this world fascinating. You showing up here, and this community still existing, brings a little more permanence to what can often seem like a transient aspect of our lives. I've spent more than two decades as a member of this community, and sometimes reminders like this are needed to show us the true importance of these connections we make.

Welcome.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2021, 07:45:00 AM »
Unfortunately, VP hasn't logged in in almost a year.  Not a DT fan I guess.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2021, 08:32:46 AM »
Unfortunately, VP hasn't logged in in almost a year.  Not a DT fan I guess.   :lol

Maybe he'll log on to say how much better the new album would've been with Portnoy.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2021, 09:41:35 AM »
Shows how inactive I've been in recent years, as I didn't even look at or notice the OP date and thought this was new, not realizing I completely bonered the whole thing. *sigh*
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2021, 01:41:53 PM »
Shit, got me crying again.

I miss you, Mark.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2021, 11:38:47 AM »
Shows how inactive I've been in recent years, as I didn't even look at or notice the OP date and thought this was new, not realizing I completely bonered the whole thing. *sigh*

You and me both. It's very exciting, but I was more excited when I thought it was happening in real time, not a year ago.   :lol

Either way, +1, would read again. This was amazing. Sometimes, it feels like everything is going all to hell, so it's nice to see that something so genuinely positive and wonderful *IS* possible.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2021, 10:49:30 PM »
I had some really deep conversations with him when I was in some of my more influential years. I was not much older than you, and his intelligence and philosophical insights blew me away.

i remember i used to type like this lol and then for sum reason i copied him. He was a huge influence and the reason I began to use proper punctuation and grammar.

I want to say it was in a a DTF IRC chat room that I first talked to him.

Edit: Way for me to pay attention to the thread date and its necro-ness.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Rick

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2022, 02:28:10 PM »
May also want to check out fiveeightforums.com (long story, the other forum that sprung from the one that VG used to post at).

I think registration is closed to new members there, but there are many people who remember him there, and I'm sure someone here who still posts at both forums could help you connect.

Sorry for bumping this, all, but just saw it.

VP - if you look back here again, basically there's a boring history about this forum and it moving places and splitting into 2 (with some membership crossover); but the other forum that pre-dates this one still exists (there was another DT forum before that, from the early 2000s, but that's long-deleted). It's got your dad's posts on there. I don't particularly use this or that place often any more, aside from occasional drop-ins to read threads, so I'm not sure what the deal is for new members signing up, but if you can, the thread where his then-girlfriend told us the news is here - https://www.fiveeightforums.com/threads/violent-green-mark-adams.44162/ - she posted using his account, and you'll be able to see his posts if you click onto his profile ( https://www.fiveeightforums.com/members/violentgreen.121/ ). I don't know how much is suitable for a child to read about their father, but, there it is, and you can access it if you choose to. There's a lot of posts. If you have trouble getting in, please, message me and I'll get the staff there to sort it.

I wasn't close with your dad. He was a bit older (by about 3 years) and more mature than me at the time we posted on the forums together, so we didn't really interact beyond jokey comments in threads, and chatting about music we both enjoyed. I had a lot of respect for him though - as others have said - he was a very intelligent, passionate, and thoughtful guy. He was also sharp and funny. He put a lot of effort into teaching others (not in a mansplainy way) and engaging in in-depth discussion and giving up his time and energies, and I'd read his posts in awe (many years later, I'd mature and my knowledge and ability to debate and discuss hopefully comes closer to his). He was a good guy. Even those who held totally different views to him would have respect for him. He inspired and made an impact on a lot of people. I still remember the day I found out he died and the absolute shock I felt - it shook me up and always will. The news of his death quite literally sent shockwaves round the world, as everyone who knew him online was devastated.

:heart   :hat
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 10:42:07 AM by Rick »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2022, 12:21:50 PM »
Nice bump.
I also would never have seen this.
Some tears just at how it all came together with information being saved for the kid.

Some...Obiwan Kenobi action in here...."now that's a name I haven't heard in a long long time".....

Rumbo and Hyper summed at your dad and my interactions with him.
Good dude.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.