Author Topic: Violent Green's son.  (Read 10611 times)

Offline violent pink

Violent Green's son.
« on: July 02, 2020, 05:24:26 PM »
Hi all.
I just got accepted to this website after I did a lot of digging. I am Violent Green (some may know him as his real name, Mark)'s son. Recently it was his 12 year anniversary of death, so I took it upon myself to do some research. Mom always talked about how he went by Violent Green on music forums so I decided to do some googling, which brought me to a RateYourMusic thread full of peaceful wishes to RIP. I saw a post saying that he was most on this website, so I decided to request to be on it, because I have a question.

Did anyone reading this interact with dad while he was on this website? What was he like?

I was four when he died. I'm 16 now. I'd love to hear your stories.

Feel free to also ask me anything, I'd be happy to answer your questions :)
:hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Violent Green's son.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »
I remember your father most from his posts in the political/religious subforum.  What I appreciated most about him was the fact that, although he and I typically were at polar opposite ends of the spectrum regarding our opinions, his posts were always respectful and thought-provoking.  He was someone I could disagree with and still hold in the highest respect.  I think that is one of the reasons he got along so well here.  He was a deep thinker, and knew how to battle for his opinions without making things personal, and he could acknowledge well thought out opinions that disagreed with his own.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:43:21 PM »
Like Bosk, I recall him being a deep thinker and wrote in a very coherent and relatable way even when the topics were quite heavy. I always respected his opinion and he had an influence on my views about politics and religion at the time.

It's really cool that you tracked this place down! I was very sad to hear about your dad's passing at the time and have actually thought of him from time to time over the years.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »
Wow!

I do remember him. He and I often disagreed, and sadly at the time I wasn’t as thoughtful or mature as he was. I also remember, as everyone else will say, he was extremely well respected here. I regret not being better when he was here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 05:48:43 PM »
Violent Pink, welcome to DTF. I hope things are going well for you.

Bosk, are Violent Green's posts still available? His profile is still up, but his posts are not. Can you retrieve them somehow?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline violent pink

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 06:40:46 PM »
I remember your father most from his posts in the political/religious subforum.  What I appreciated most about him was the fact that, although he and I typically were at polar opposite ends of the spectrum regarding our opinions, his posts were always respectful and thought-provoking.  He was someone I could disagree with and still hold in the highest respect.  I think that is one of the reasons he got along so well here.  He was a deep thinker, and knew how to battle for his opinions without making things personal, and he could acknowledge well thought out opinions that disagreed with his own.

my mother held the same opinion of him actually. she said that though she disagreed with a lot of his points she could always respect how he argued them.

Offline violent pink

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 06:42:36 PM »
Like Bosk, I recall him being a deep thinker and wrote in a very coherent and relatable way even when the topics were quite heavy. I always respected his opinion and he had an influence on my views about politics and religion at the time.

It's really cool that you tracked this place down! I was very sad to hear about your dad's passing at the time and have actually thought of him from time to time over the years.

im glad to hear that he may have opened your mind on some topics

thank you for the congratulations! im glad to have found it :)

Offline violent pink

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 06:45:26 PM »
Wow!

I do remember him. He and I often disagreed, and sadly at the time I wasn’t as thoughtful or mature as he was. I also remember, as everyone else will say, he was extremely well respected here. I regret not being better when he was here.

im sure he appreciates you saying this, wherever he is now :) it shows maturity on your part to express your shortcomings!

Offline violent pink

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 06:45:58 PM »

Bosk, are Violent Green's posts still available? His profile is still up, but his posts are not. Can you retrieve them somehow?

my god, id love to read some of his posts. and thank you for the hope!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »
I came aboard pretty soon after he left, and that was well before the forum crash, so I wouldn't expect any of his posts to be available here. It's all a damn shame, as I gather he was my kind of guy. There have been several remembrance threads in his honor over the years, though. Search his name in quotes and you'll see plenty of people expressing their thoughts of him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline violent pink

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 07:15:45 PM »
I came aboard pretty soon after he left, and that was well before the forum crash, so I wouldn't expect any of his posts to be available here. It's all a damn shame, as I gather he was my kind of guy. There have been several remembrance threads in his honor over the years, though. Search his name in quotes and you'll see plenty of people expressing their thoughts of him.

thank you! ive read some already but i will do some more looking :)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 07:26:34 PM »
I also remember he was a fan of Neil Gaiman. He had the Morpheus character from The Sandman comic books as his avatar.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »
I joined a few years after, but am going to follow this thread closely, it's very moving that you tracked us down. I hope you find some of what you're looking for here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 07:55:02 PM »
I joined a few years after, but am going to follow this thread closely, it's very moving that you tracked us down. I hope you find some of what you're looking for here.

Same and completely agree. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 07:56:04 PM »
it's very moving that you tracked us down.

It really is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 08:00:26 PM »
I joined around 2006. I do not readily recall him as a poster but do remember that people would speak fondly of him in this remembrance threads EB spoke of.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline violent pink

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »
I also remember he was a fan of Neil Gaiman. He had the Morpheus character from The Sandman comic books as his avatar.

the sandman comics are a personal favourites of mine as well! never knew he liked them tho. biology i guess lmao

Offline violent pink

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 08:54:54 PM »

thank you <3 im loving the responses so far, this is definitely what i was hoping for :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 11:58:02 PM »
Mark and I didn't always agree on things, and we had our fair share of disagreements, but his thoughts were always well-articulated, and he was always friendly and never held a disagreement against ya.  His passing at such a young age was truly a tragedy.

Very sorry for your loss. Don't know what else to say in that regard.

Feel free to become an active member of the forum here!  We are a mostly-friendly bunch.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2020, 04:17:14 AM »

thank you <3 im loving the responses so far, this is definitely what i was hoping for :)

I'm glad that you're loving this!

I was nowhere near this forum in those years, so I can't personally help you, but this topic surprised me, in a positive sense of course. I didn't even realize that living in the digital and social age means that there's a lot of information out there available for relatives of people that passed away.

It's nice for you to be able to track down your father's activities, and I hope that the experience will bring you solace, enjoyment and curiosity, and that you will get to know your father a bit better through people that interacted with him  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 05:10:02 AM »
I wish I had known your father. Sounds like a great guy.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2020, 07:16:23 AM »
Good morning Violent Pink. I recall interacting with Mark in the early days of being here, and on the previous incarnation of the DTF message board. He was immensely respected here for sure. Sadly, I don’t have any specific memories of my interactions with him that I could share, but there are some other threads in here that you might find helpful, as EB stated.  Hopefully you found this in the Archive sub forum.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=348.0

As for his posts, like EB indicated, I suspect many of them were lost in the ‘09 forum crash. However, JustJen/VFS did have a backup of the database that she used to host, but her site is no longer online. Perhaps she has a local copy still?  I know she was very fond of your dad as well (I’ll PM you as to how you might reach her). I hope you’ve tried to check with the 5/8 forum community too - I recall he was very active there. I can’t seem to get into the site. Not even sure if it/they is/are still active. Maybe on reddit?  Any former 5/8 regulars here know what happened of that community?

It really is.

^ this so much.

P.S. I’m a fellow Canadian. Not that this really matters much.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 07:40:58 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »

Sadly, no.  All that data was lost.  Like Chad pointed out, the best bet might have been Jen's archive, if it were still up.  I haven't been in contact with her in awhile, but for anyone that has, there is a chance she might have all that privately archived and just not viewable to the public.  Another option would be to use Wayback Machine.  I did a bit of poking, and there are several versions of the forum that predate the 2009 crash.  Here's one for late 2008:  https://web.archive.org/web/20081228042631/http://dreamtheaterforums.org/forum/index.php  The only issue is, searching is a bit painstaking, because you just have to go page by page, and a lot of pages are dead (and the search function is not active).  But I bet if you poked around long enough in different iterations of the forum, you would find some stuff.  And yet another option is to Wayback Machine dreamtheaterforums.com.  I just did that, and on this page, which is the view of the political/religious forum, you can see that he has some threads there:  http://www.dreamtheaterforums.com/index.php?board=5.0.  There is one started by him titled "Plato's Phaedo."  Unfortunately, I tried clicking into the thread itself, and it is dead and not viewable.  But, again, enough poking around, and you might be able to find something.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 08:56:56 AM »
Glad you found this nick of the net and can get some feedback on your dad.
So sorry about his passing. From what I hear here it seems like he was a great person.
Unfortunately I joined too late to have talked to him.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 09:05:29 AM »
Glad you found this nick of the net and can get some feedback on your dad.

Yeah, that.  And...I haven't shared this on the forums yet, but it is fortunate that you found us, because there has been some serious consideration behind the scenes about whether to close the forums.  Those engaged in the discussions were fairly unanimous that it should continue, so thankfully, we are here to discuss.  I plan on posting more about that later...  But I'm glad we are here to have had you join up and post.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
I have been a member of this board, and its prior forms, as far back as 2001 I think.  I followed several threads that your father posted in, and even had some direct interactions with him....several on opposite sides of the topic.  I can say this with 100% truthfulness....he was EXTREMELY respected here for his intellect, knowledge, and amazingly eloquent and articulate posting style.  His interest, and knowledge of, philosophy was unmatched on this board.   I think it is amazing that you have been able to find people here that have been able help you color in your picture of your father.  Good luck in life Violent Pink.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 02:34:19 PM »
Hi all.
I just got accepted to this website after I did a lot of digging. I am Violent Green (some may know him as his real name, Mark)'s son. Recently it was his 12 year anniversary of death, so I took it upon myself to do some research. Mom always talked about how he went by Violent Green on music forums so I decided to do some googling, which brought me to a RateYourMusic thread full of peaceful wishes to RIP. I saw a post saying that he was most on this website, so I decided to request to be on it, because I have a question.

Did anyone reading this interact with dad while he was on this website? What was he like?

I was four when he died. I'm 16 now. I'd love to hear your stories.

Feel free to also ask me anything, I'd be happy to answer your questions :)

Mark was my best friend for a couple/few years, starting in 2004 until maybe a year/8 months before his death. We had a falling out, but reconnected maybe three weeks before he died. I have a daughter who is maybe a few months older than you, which was something we discussed a lot - I talked about her, he talked about you. He and I were inseparable from the day he got back to school after leaving Digby, where he stayed with his parents, your grandparents, while he recovered from mono.

He would text me good morning, good night, that he was going to work, had arrived at work, was going home, had arrived at home. We would simul-listen albums. He taught me almost everything about the music that has been my entire life the past 15 years. I went back to college and got a second AAS degree because of him - Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Philosophy of Religion. My daughter has known about your existence, E., for probably a decade. Her name also begins with E. I'm respecting your privacy here, but your middle name gives me joy and has since the day your father told me your full name. He was what I considered the love of my life up until the time he died, and I was absolutely devastated by that. It was a big part of my drifting away from these forums, despite also being a long-time contributer to the back-end workings here and at others with my other name, VFS.

I have an external hard drive with photos and screenshots, and maybe some other things saved. And you may somewhere have his Marbles CD by Marillion which I had signed for him by Steve Hogarth ("H") at the concert in 2004 that your dad convinced me to go to despite the fact I was in a bad marriage and was risking hell at home for me going away out of town alone to see a band that my husband despised...

I have so many memories and yet had pushed all of them back because it was just too painful to think about Mark all these years.

I have long thought this day might come, but somehow wasn't prepared for it. When I heard yesterday that you had appeared and posted, I made a drink. I don't drink these days aside from occasional weekends with loved ones, but I needed it to calm the freaking out I was doing inside over the fact I never really processed his death. We were going to finally meet in person after years of AOL messaging and webcam chats. It was to be at a King Crimson show in Philly, but he died before that day came. Knowing he wasn't going ot be there, I didn't go either. I couldn't be there. I couldn't be anywhere. I shut down completely for a long time.

I dont know what to say or to share just now. But I wanted to at least reach out and say yes, I have memories and stories and pictures. And so much love. Of your dad, for your dad, about your dad.

Oh how he loved you and fretted about decisions and events, and one of the most important conversations of my life was when he asked me for help because he wanted to get to spend time with you but knew that your mother loved you so deeply that she was unsure of whether that was a good plan. I suggested he go to the Red Cross and take an infant CPR course and anything else that a babysitter might take, and the idea of an academic solution brought him to actual tears. He called me a genius that day. He took that course, and soon he was having his visits with you. He took wecam photos of you two together and sent them to me. I have one still on my external hard drive. You both had the most pure joy on your faces, E.

https://i.imgur.com/NruKhnL.jpg

I will get you everything I can, but please understand this is revisiting a part of my life that is so hard for me. And also know, I understand. My father died when I was four, too.

Best wishes, friend. Feel free to private message me, or to respond here. I never come here anymore, but I wasn't going to miss you for anything. But it's gonna take some time to process.

<3
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 05:28:37 PM by JustJen »
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 02:40:08 PM »

I may still have a very very very old database from dtf from 2008ish on my external hard drive, but may not. I so hope that I do. I will look, but I now work 9 hours a day 6 days a week and today is the 4th of july so I do have the day off, but don't ahve another until friday the 10th. I will do what I can but it could be quite a process, and I don't even know whether I can work with something like that anymore all these years later if I do have it. But I will try.

Edit - to clarify, I only ever had a couple of threads up on my server, but I may have a database on my hard drive somewhere anyway from backing up the site when doing some kind of changes way back when. I'll check more after work tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:28:27 PM by JustJen »

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2020, 02:42:06 PM »
Good morning Violent Pink. I recall interacting with Mark in the early days of being here, and on the previous incarnation of the DTF message board. He was immensely respected here for sure. Sadly, I don’t have any specific memories of my interactions with him that I could share, but there are some other threads in here that you might find helpful, as EB stated.  Hopefully you found this in the Archive sub forum.

As for his posts, like EB indicated, I suspect many of them were lost in the ‘09 forum crash. However, JustJen/VFS did have a backup of the database that she used to host, but her site is no longer online. Perhaps she has a local copy still?  I know she was very fond of your dad as well (I’ll PM you as to how you might reach her). I hope you’ve tried to check with the 5/8 forum community too - I recall he was very active there. I can’t seem to get into the site. Not even sure if it/they is/are still active. Maybe on reddit?  Any former 5/8 regulars here know what happened of that community?

It really is.

^ this so much.

thank you so much for remembering me. i'll do my best. it would be my honor and privilege to do anything for VioletPink that I possibly can.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2020, 02:44:13 PM »

Sadly, no.  All that data was lost.  Like Chad pointed out, the best bet might have been Jen's archive, if it were still up.  I haven't been in contact with her in awhile, but for anyone that has, there is a chance she might have all that privately archived and just not viewable to the public.

I've left facebook and took my website down/no longer have paid hosting, but my external hard drive has everything, i think. if i were provided with server space somewhere i would gladly put up anything of interest. but no matter what, i will find a way to get whatever i can to VioletPink.

do you just have a corrupted old database somewhere, or what's the status there? is it something i can try to fix/extract data from?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »
Social media, technology, and the internet can be so negative.  Beautiful and amazing stuff like this is what balances that out.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2020, 02:54:41 PM »
Seriously man  :heart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2020, 02:58:26 PM »

It really is.

^ this so much.

thank you so much for remembering me. i'll do my best. it would be my honor and privilege to do anything for VioletPink that I possibly can.

You're kinda unforgettable, fangirl  ;)  I was getting automated birthday wishes from your website for a few years too :lol.  Hope you don't mind, but I PM'd Violent Pink with your FB contact details in case he wanted to reach out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2020, 03:02:59 PM »
I'm going through my hard drive now. why wait?

For you, ViolentPink, and for everyone who loved him.

https://imgur.com/a/c3NZWoc

I will keep adding images that I find that are suitable for this album but these in particular I saved in a folder named "Mark" in a folder called "Received files 04 to 07" in a backup called "My old laptop backup - 2008". (For my own reference, because there's going to be SO much that I will wade through during this labor of love I'm setting out on.)

jingle.boy - I'm glad you did, and sorry I don't use it anymore. It's still there, but dormant or deactivated for the forseeable future. But my photobucket... now that's still there. I'm going to get some stuff out of that tonight as well to share.

Edit - photobucket is doing a LOT of gatekeeping of my pics because of silly limits they've set, and they want me to pay them money to access my own stuff easily. I'm going to see how long I can fight through the ads and popups and dead pages before giving in though. Not sure what all I have on there anyway.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:25:17 PM by JustJen »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2020, 03:05:05 PM »
Social media, technology, and the internet can be so negative.  Beautiful and amazing stuff like this is what balances that out.

No kidding. I don't recall ViolentGreen at all, barely know JustJen by screen name, and my eyes are getting misty just reading this thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'