Author Topic: About the Lifting Shadows book...  (Read 2118 times)

Offline nikatapi

About the Lifting Shadows book...
« on: June 29, 2020, 02:27:08 AM »
So i just finished reading the first edition of the book, which covered the period until BC&SL, and what a nice read.
I actually completed the entire book in pretty much a day.

Kind of ironic that the book was closing on a very optimistic ending, given the success of this period and leaving DT being at a commercial peak, while mentioning the improbability that the lineup would change from this point on. Little did Rich know about MP deciding to leave the band.

But i was wondering, has anyone read the newest edition, which also covers the transition to Mike Mangini and (if i'm not mistaken) the ADTOE period as well? Is it actually something that can provide some more info apart from what's already known already?

Offline DTA

Re: About the Lifting Shadows book...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 06:26:20 AM »
I can't imagine there's any new or revealing info that hasn't been made available online

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
I have the most current edition (the one that Nik is referring to it seems) and I can tell you it's a great read. (as exciting as their music, seriously) Now for your question: Yes, some of what has been added has been available online (and I'm sure it still is mostly), but the level of detail is quite a bit greater (meaning the inner workings of MP's departure and how the band was in some kind of turmoil and how they handled it and all that). Of course, the two chapters that cover the beginning of the MM era are considerably shorter than the others, but even these are a bit more detailed than what some people might expect.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:03:47 AM »
I've got all versions and I don't feel that the latest has that much more detail but then again, I was reading just about everything when all that went down. 10 years after the fact, it may prove to be more insightful than it was at the time. Either way it is a great, more compact (physically) read compared to the first edition.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 03:26:38 PM »
Wish it was released in Kindle format. I have all of the editions as well but they are in storage. It would be nice to re-read it again.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 12:49:47 AM »
Wish it was released in Kindle format. I have all of the editions as well but they are in storage. It would be nice to re-read it again.

That's a great point.
I'd love to have an ebook version as well.
Thank you everyone for your answers, i guess it doesn't really make sense to get the updated version as it seems.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 08:42:54 AM »
I didn't know the second edition covered some of the MM era, awesome! I guess it's time for me to get it, i've always been interested in this.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »
Each version of the book offers something different. The original version has the photo book and CD of rarities. The second edition (also hard cover) has a chapter focusing on the various side projects that different band members were involved in, as well as updates from the first edition. And the latest edition (soft cover) has more updates from the second edition...and a really cool cover.   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 12:35:32 PM »
Each version of the book offers something different. The original version has the photo book and CD of rarities. The second edition (also hard cover) has a chapter focusing on the various side projects that different band members were involved in, as well as updates from the first edition. And the latest edition (soft cover) has more updates from the second edition...and a really cool cover.   :biggrin:
Scotty The Great has spoken. I rest my case.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 03:29:36 PM »
Still need to pick up the soft cover I suppose. Have the other two.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 07:49:28 AM »
I have the original edition. Gonna wait for the Portnoy reunion to have a comprehensive look back at the Mangini years (not in the first edition at all) before I buy another one.  :lol
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »
I have the original edition. Gonna wait for the Portnoy reunion to have a comprehensive look back at the Mangini years (not in the first edition at all) before I buy another one.  :lol

:lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 02:53:02 PM »
It's interesting. I bought the first edition with the CD. It led to my discovery of Don't Look Past Me, an instant favorite. You could imagine how surprised and excited I got when they busted it out for the I&W&B tour.

If I didn't get the first edition. I would never have discovered Don't Look Past Me, and wouldn't have enjoyed the rare treat as much as I did at the show. Because I love the music and the lyrics, JLB not doing the highs didn't bother me at all, because I was so into just getting to see a song I like, that I never thought in my life I'd see live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Skeever

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 09:30:53 AM »
I've got all versions and I don't feel that the latest has that much more detail but then again, I was reading just about everything when all that went down. 10 years after the fact, it may prove to be more insightful than it was at the time. Either way it is a great, more compact (physically) read compared to the first edition.

Yes, if you lived through it, you probably don't need to read the book (unless you want to remember it for some reason).
I was so obsessed with DT around when MP left that there was not going to be one detail I would have missed from any interview or public statement that could have made it into the book.