Author Topic: What are your favourite acoustic albums/performances by rock/metal bands?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think this thread has been done before, or at least I don't remember it, advanced search yielded nothing.

Last week I was listening to A Sort of Homecoming by Anathema, Sanctitude by Katatonia and A Night Under the Dam by Green Carnation a lot, and I realized I really like when rock and metal bands go acoustic, either in the studio environment or live.

What are your favourite acoustic performances by rock or metal bands? Could be songs, albums, studio, live, anything.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Gosh, I have so many. I'll come back with all of my examples, but this is so worth the watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYYkf6jlUt4

DT play The Silent Man in Rio, JLB says that "it faaawking sucks" they don't get to see the city, JP plays Sometimes When We Touch, MM drops in to sing a few lines of it, everyone laughing and having a good time. It's wonderful.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lowdz

Tesla’s Five Man Acoustical Jam that started it all.

Offline DTA

MTV Unplugged by Kiss is awesome.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
MTV Unplugged Alice in chains

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Dream Theater - Cover My Eyes (the live acoustic version on the 5 Years in a Livetime DVD is a 100 times better than the electric demo version from the FII sessions)

Offline DTA

Dream Theater - Cover My Eyes (the live acoustic version on the 5 Years in a Livetime DVD is a 100 times better than the electric demo version from the FII sessions)

Same with Speak To Me

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Same with Speak To Me

True, but that's not an acoustic performance, which is why I didn't mention it. ;)

Offline DTA

Same with Speak To Me

True, but that's not an acoustic performance, which is why I didn't mention it. ;)

Well, the drums are acoustic I guess... ;D

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Stevie Ray Vaughan, MTV Unplugged 1990.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Unplugged ... and Seated.  I never cared much for Rod Stewart until hearing / seeing that.

Also, UnLedded.  Naturally I have to mention that one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Tesla - Five Man Acoustical Jam

Alice In Chains - MTV Unplugged

Page/Plant - Unledded, although it isn't completey acoustic
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Great White - Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

The Cult - Edie (acoustic)

MTV Unplugged Alice in chains

I am not a big Alice guy, but that is a great performance. I always regretted Don't Follow [an all-time top 5 song of mine] wasn't part of the set.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Opeth - Damnation is their best by far

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Pain of Salvation - 12:5

Also that live Metallica show I think last year that was all acoustic. Sally awesome. Minus Hardwired
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

The only thing that really comes to mind with this is Queensryche on MTV Unplugged.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Not many come to mind.  As above :  Tesla ,  KISS (surprisingly good) and One Live Night by Dokken was also a pleasant surprise.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The KISS one is excellent, mostly due to the interesting setlist.

And I'm just gonna say it. I freaking love this album...

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
The one that came to mind immediately is

Lindsey Buckingham - Go Insane, from The Dance.

Fleetwood Mac - Big Love
Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle
The Arkitecht - Acoustic Session (forgot what it's called, it's on their Bandcamp)
Nick Drake - Day Is Done
Anneke Van Giersbergen - Like A Stone (at ProgPower XIX) This was amazing, Cram and others can vouch for that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Peter Mc

Bon Jovi used to be great at this. Just Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora on their own with acoustic guitars and singing together. It was magic how their voices harmonised back in the day.  Lots of stuff on their Access All Areas VHS of the New Jersey tour.  I think they did a short acoustic set at the MTV awards in the 80’s as well where they did acoustic versions of Wanted Dead Or Alive and Livin On A Prayer which was great and was rumoured to have given MTV the idea for the whole Unplugged series.

Offline Lethean

Live album/DVD - Katatonia - Sanctitude; I also really like the other two you mentioned (Green Carnation and Anathema)

Studio: Threshold - Wireless; they also have some great acoustic versions as bonus tracks

Live in person performance: Vanden Plas at ProgPower with Wolverine a close second.  Evergrey and Labyrinth also had great sets.  For some reason the Anathema one wasn't quite as good as the others or their dvd, but I still enjoyed it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bon Jovi used to be great at this. Just Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora on their own with acoustic guitars and singing together. It was magic how their voices harmonised back in the day.  Lots of stuff on their Access All Areas VHS of the New Jersey tour.  I think they did a short acoustic set at the MTV awards in the 80’s as well where they did acoustic versions of Wanted Dead Or Alive and Livin On A Prayer which was great and was rumoured to have given MTV the idea for the whole Unplugged series.

Saw the New Jersey tour a couple of times. Fantastic show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I find it interesting how often this is referred to as an acoustic album when it isn't at all.  It's a mellow album, which was certainly different for them at the time, and I am a big fan.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Live in person performance: Vanden Plas at ProgPower with Wolverine a close second.

Both acoustic sets? Damn, I wish I was there.

Anneke Van Giersbergen - Like A Stone (at ProgPower XIX) This was amazing, Cram and others can vouch for that.

I wish I could've seen some of The Gentle Storm shows where Anneke performed with Arjen Lucassen in acoustic setting.

https://youtu.be/VbwCrB0CtJA

I mean there's an electric guitar :lol

I find it interesting how often this is referred to as an acoustic album when it isn't at all.  It's a mellow album, which was certainly different for them at the time, and I am a big fan.

Yeah, definitely not acoustic.

I'll be revisiting this one today, totally forgot it existed for some reason.

Everyone else: I'm listening to your picks, so if you include links in your posts it's even more helpful, but even if not, I intend to check out every single thing posted in this thread.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged

While not on the same level I think Porcupine Tree - We Lost the Skyline is a pretty fun performance (only 30 mins or so) it has some electric guitar but its only SW and John Wesley joining in for a few tracks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Ha!  I picked the wrong Queensryche video. Lol. I meant to post the unplugged version.  My bad!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Does it have to be a metal or rock band? I find that most of those bands think they can simply play sort-of the same things they would do on an electric guitar and that it then somehow works (it often doesn't).

No idea whether this is going to count or not, but here you go. Surely someone will approve:

Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin & Paco de Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco (1981)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Actually it doesn't, if you've got your favourite acoustic performance from other genres, go with it!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, look above then :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, look above then :lol

I'm listening right now!

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Does it have to be a metal or rock band? I find that most of those bands think they can simply play sort-of the same things they would do on an electric guitar and that it then somehow works (it often doesn't).

No idea whether this is going to count or not, but here you go. Surely someone will approve:

Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin & Paco de Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco (1981)

That's my all time favourite live album  :tup

I think I have even every audience's "wooh" memorised

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I was actually thinking of you in particular when I wrote 'Surely someone will approve' :)
Squ

Offline Lethean

Live in person performance: Vanden Plas at ProgPower with Wolverine a close second.

Both acoustic sets? Damn, I wish I was there.

Yeah, both bands did a regular electric set and an acoustic one.  The acoustic shows were really small and intimate.  The Vanden Plas set was really energetic and varied; they did half originals and half covers and it was amazing.  The Gethsemane cover was unbelievable.  I don't think there's video of this set which is a shame.  Wolverine's was all originals and he gave some background for the songs and lyrics.  Here's a video from that one: https://youtu.be/1UVRm0KdnYQ

Offline HOF

Probably the Counting Crows Live Across a Wire (first disc) or Marillion Live at Cadogan Hall.