Poll

Which version of JP's BAI solo do you prefer?

Live at Luna Park
BTFW - Live from The Boston Opera House
Other

Author Topic: Poll: Breaking All Illusions – JP solo v. LALP or BTFW?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Poll: Breaking All Illusions – JP solo v. LALP or BTFW?
« on: June 23, 2020, 04:01:20 PM »
So…I usually don’t start many threads but once in a great while the urge hits me when I notice something that maybe others didn’t notice or didn’t feel the need to start a thread.  Whatever the case may be, this might require a little homework on your part before casting your vote.  If you don’t own the live recordings, they can easily be found on YouTube.

Both band performances of BAI, Live at Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall Live from The Boston Opera House are fantastic as well as JP’s solo.  I noticed in BTFW that he stays almost 100% true to the studio version.  However, in LALP he throws a few tasty curves in there while still maintaining the integrity of the studio version.

I love em both, but those little renditions he does in the LALP version are absolutely stellar!  That one gets my vote.

Which version do you prefer?  Or, maybe you prefer neither and there's another version you've seen that is better.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

Re: Poll: Breaking All Illusions – JP solo v. LALP or BTFW?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
There's also the Budokan 2017 version to check out, but how to check it is a bit more complicated ::)

It's funny that you posted this, as I'm currently building a DT live catalog playlist. My idea is to have the best live version released of each song on the playlist, following the studio albums tracklists, but choosing my favorite version for each one. I needed to check these two versions anyway, so now I'll compare them and vote later :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 02:18:42 PM »
Isn’t there a bit of a duff note in one of those solos. Can’t remember which one without going back to watch them. I just remember slightly cringing at one moment.

Offline PMA

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 03:53:45 PM »
Isn’t there a bit of a duff note in one of those solos. Can’t remember which one without going back to watch them. I just remember slightly cringing at one moment.

You may be thinking of one note that JP seemed to just miss in the Breaking The Fourth Wall solo.  When I first heard it, I actually was shocked that he'd missed this but on recurring listens, it doesn't sound that bad.  He's human (I think!).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 04:36:11 PM »
Yeah, I think I know what part that is and he does hit the wrong note but it actually seems to work in some strange way.  I wasn't put off too much by it.

There's also the Budokan 2017 version to check out, but how to check it is a bit more complicated ::)

It's funny that you posted this, as I'm currently building a DT live catalog playlist. My idea is to have the best live version released of each song on the playlist, following the studio albums tracklists, but choosing my favorite version for each one. I needed to check these two versions anyway, so now I'll compare them and vote later :tup

Great idea!  Yeah, I've seen Budokan 17' and few other versions that were posted on YouTube by members of the audience.  Some of those recordings weren't too bad considering they were done with cell phones, but the live releases are obviously so much better sound quality.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online geeeemo

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »
I like the solo from LaLP better..seems free-er.   But I like the overall  performance and their look better on BtFW.  They are slimmer and have great hair here!. (  I always wonder if JP used a flat-iron on his hair...) ;D  Also can see MM better.  The LaLP has some great camera shots though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »
I'm the one other vote.

It was amazing seeing this solo first row, about a good 10 feet away from JP. He sat down on his Stage Stands, where he usually rests his foot by his mic, and played the slow section. It was neat being pretty much in front of him. Sadly, I had to leave right after the solo, so didn't get to experience the amazing ending. But, I will always remember that moment. Although, I did get to finish the rest of the show in Dallas, which was an amazing show in it's own right, being the last show of the entire tour, and getting to hear Hourglass.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »
Luna Park, the first minute wider dynamics being the deal breaker for me.

I value those way more than BtFW's "cleaner" runs later in the solo.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 08:08:29 PM »

You may be thinking of one note that JP seemed to just miss in the Breaking The Fourth Wall solo.  When I first heard it, I actually was shocked that he'd missed this but on recurring listens, it doesn't sound that bad.  He's human (I think!).

It’s cool that they left it in I suppose and didn’t fix it. It still works in that, if I’d never heard the solo before, I wouldn’t necessarily have known it was a mistake. As it’s a solo I listened to over and over though, it does sound quite jarring when I hear it sometimes. Other times it’s not a big deal.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 12:58:42 PM »
Live at Luna is better as far as "nailing" the solo.

There are actually a 2-3 unintentional goofs in BTFW...still sounds good though.

Also his tone during the Along for the Ride Tour is one of the worst he ever had. Super muddy live, and it shows in BtFW. I believe he was using the Triaxis during that tour before switching to the JP-2C during the Astonishing Tour which was a MAJOR improvement on his tone. He's been solid since.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 02:59:55 PM »
Live at Luna is better as far as "nailing" the solo.

There are actually a 2-3 unintentional goofs in BTFW...still sounds good though.

Also his tone during the Along for the Ride Tour is one of the worst he ever had. Super muddy live, and it shows in BtFW. I believe he was using the Triaxis during that tour before switching to the JP-2C during the Astonishing Tour which was a MAJOR improvement on his tone. He's been solid since.

His tone was excellent during The Astonishing, especially considering his tone is one of many reasons I enjoyed that album, and tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD