Is fear of snakes natural?

Yes
5 (45.5%)
No
6 (54.5%)
Unsure
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Do people have a NATURAL fear of snakes?  (Read 857 times)

Offline WildRanger

Do people have a NATURAL fear of snakes?
« on: June 21, 2020, 02:53:36 AM »
Most people are afraid of snakes. Is that fear natural? Are you personally afraid of snakes?
What would you say? Discuss.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Do people have a NATURAL fear of snakes?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 02:57:03 AM »
I googled 'is fear of snakes natural'. This is the first hit: https://www.livescience.com/2348-fear-snakes.html
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 04:07:36 AM »
On top of the points presented in that article, I think it's perfectly natural to be afraid of something that you know has the ability to poison you in one bite, since it's basically impossible to get poison treated without medical help. On the other hand, if a bear or a lion attacks you, you aren't immediately fucked after a first attack (even without medical help, unless it gives you a massive open wound or something) if you can get away soon after.

I also think bears & lions have a lot more in common with humans than snakes do, so maybe part of the fear of snakes & spiders is that they're more foreign compared to other potential predators (in terms of physical traits, that is).

That said, I live in Australia, so maybe that influences my understanding of the fear of snakes. I don't know. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 04:26:40 AM »
I'm not scared of snakes ? But yeah we should avoid any animal that has venom. I've been stung by BAD jellyfish - and i've no desire to repeat that.

If I go swimming now I am constantly on the look out - as my favourite beach usually has loads of them. Now I just wait til a couple of hours after high tide when they've all gone out to sea.

I've held a corn snake in my hands and I enjoyed that. :)

The texture of its skin didn't feel at all like I expected. It was really smooth.

But yeah - i'm more worried about insects - since not only do some of them give you a nasty sting or bite - I find them so disgusting to look at.

Especially those beetle things whose entire back opens up to let their wings out. So gross.

But I still don't kill them. About the only thing I have no problem murdering is fleas as they're literally just a complete nuisance and flea bites can take a couple of days to stop itching.  :angry:

- I also don't hate spiders. :dunno:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 05:08:17 AM »
I've come in contact with a couple of snakes in my times.  Red Belly and Brown, two of the deadliest.  They were gentle creatures that were more afraid of me then them.  They were looking to get away from me and I didn't feel threatened at all.  People that get bitten half the time provoke them instead of just leaving them be.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 05:58:25 AM »
In college I remember coming across something about this in one of my lab courses. There was an experiment (I'm trying to find it and coming up empty), done with both children and adults, where the subjects would be rapidly shown dozens of card with random images on them. All the images had to do with nature and animal life. Their brains were monitored for certain fear signals, and without fail in both groups, their brains spiked whenever an image of a spider, snake, or a similarly shaped object appeared.

One could argue that an adult may have conditioned themselves to be afraid of snakes and the like, but the fact that children under the age of 5 were showing identical brain activity would suggest and an instinctual underlying rather than a learned behavior. That's not to say every person will fear the animals the same or can't overcome their fear of them. People in India overcome thing by conditioning their children early on to play with and not fear snakes. They sew the mouth of something like a cobra shut and then throw it in with the kid.

Edit: Just opened the link Elite posted, and I'm pretty sure I'm talking about the same thing.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 11:12:17 AM »
I have a beautiful California Kingsnake as a pet so that would be a no from me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 11:24:13 AM »
How do you define natural?

And how would one measure that?

Does it mean with no reinforcement whatsoever? Cause I dunno. We're all reinforced pretty heavily from childhood to fear certain things, even though it's usually unintentional.

Or do you mean there is a evolutionary aspect to it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 12:28:58 PM »

Yep. I’ve had just about every type of indigenous or ‘marketed’ snake out there as a pet at one time or another. I was always drawn to them and was catching and handling them at a young age. Any reptile or amphibian for that matter.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 12:14:12 AM »

Yep. I’ve had just about every type of indigenous or ‘marketed’ snake out there as a pet at one time or another. I was always drawn to them and was catching and handling them at a young age. Any reptile or amphibian for that matter.

I also have two tarantulas and love heights, yet I'm terrified of cicadas and needles in addition to being claustrophobic, so the real answer to this thread is that phobias are weird and unpredictable.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:54:41 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 06:26:20 AM »
Love snks. My brother and I had a few as pets when we were kids. Also my 5th grade teacher has some in the classroom including a 15ft reticulated python named Hercules.