Author Topic: Your single favorite 'hard rock' album?  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Your single favorite 'hard rock' album?
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2020, 07:32:55 AM »
I'm very sceptical of anything thats labelled "classic" or "must see/hear" as most of the time it falls way short of expectation.

I remember critics saying Y Tu Mama Tambien was a must-see film.

I watched it and thought it was complete cack.

I didn't see "Y Tu Mama Tambien", but the only part I would argue with is that there are certain albums/artists I think you have to hear to get the bigger picture.  It's not about "liking them" per se, but just knowing they exist, and where they "come from".  Hendrix is in there.  The Beatles from Revolver through Sgt. Pepper.   Tommy.   It's important because it informs a lot (all?) of what comes after.   I never got into Hendrix much because I thought the radio hits sucked and the guy can't sing worth his balls.  I did like Little Wing though.  Then I got gifted his first three albums (Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland) and it unlocked so much.   I either understood, or understood better, players from Blackmore to Roth to Vai, to even a lot of grunge, and it made a lot of the music of the last 40 years make a lot more sense.   

You can basically play a drinking game off those first three records:  "oh, that's Uli Roth on <this song>; oh, that Steve Vai on <that song>; oh, Blackmore quoted that on <the other song>".  I think that information is, or can be, important. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2020, 08:10:56 AM »
okay, but if you're going to go down that way, you'll need to know where Hendrix got his information and musical upbringing (probably rock and roll and blues), and then go down the drain of the artists those RnR/Blues/RnB/whatever artists were inspired by. Where do we stop factoring in what came before and simply enjoy it for what it is? Why is Hendrix (in your example) the cut-off point and not Robert Johnson? Or any other artist?

If you consider all music to be an art form and art is not static and does not exist in a vacuum, that means all music conceived has drawn inspiration from some music somebody else created first. Some people (let's call them the canon) have had more influence than others (Hendrix, The Beatles, but also Bach, Beethoven, Brahms etc.), but does influencing somebody else make you good per se? I absolutely agree that in order to properly understand stuff, you need to know what it comes from, but also what it is, does, or tries to do. That said, from an artistic standpoint, I think it's very silly to say stuff like 'guitarists in the 70s were the best ever' or 'the best pop songs were made by the Beatles' or 'Jimi Hendrix was the best guitarist ever to grace the earth', so in that respect I also agree with a lot of what Kotowboy suggests.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2020, 08:12:20 AM »
Tommy sucks.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2020, 08:14:55 AM »
Tommy sucks.

This made me laugh :lol

Not because I agree or disagree (I don't think I've ever heard Tommy in full), but because it's so random.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2020, 08:16:00 AM »
It's a blatant request to have the username changed into Cousin Kevin  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2020, 08:20:36 AM »
Don't any of you bastards dare touch The Walrus's name :getoffmylawn:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »
okay, but if you're going to go down that way, you'll need to know where Hendrix got his information and musical upbringing (probably rock and roll and blues), and then go down the drain of the artists those RnR/Blues/RnB/whatever artists were inspired by. Where do we stop factoring in what came before and simply enjoy it for what it is? Why is Hendrix (in your example) the cut-off point and not Robert Johnson? Or any other artist?

If you consider all music to be an art form and art is not static and does not exist in a vacuum, that means all music conceived has drawn inspiration from some music somebody else created first. Some people (let's call them the canon) have had more influence than others (Hendrix, The Beatles, but also Bach, Beethoven, Brahms etc.), but does influencing somebody else make you good per se? I absolutely agree that in order to properly understand stuff, you need to know what it comes from, but also what it is, does, or tries to do. That said, from an artistic standpoint, I think it's very silly to say stuff like 'guitarists in the 70s were the best ever' or 'the best pop songs were made by the Beatles' or 'Jimi Hendrix was the best guitarist ever to grace the earth', so in that respect I also agree with a lot of what Kotowboy suggests.

There are no absolutes here, it's just information, and people can make of it what they want.  I do both, for example.  I will sometimes put on Harry Styles "Watermelon Sugar" on repeat, because the melody is just so damn catchy.  All I was saying is, it can be interesting.

One can go down the rabbit hole, but I think there are plateaus and jumps.  I think that while it's important to know that Johnson came before Hendrix and Zeppelin and Free, it's fun to watch how those three artists took the same raw materials and took it to another level, and some a different level.  I think it's fascinating to hear how Eddie Van Halen is heavily influenced by Eric Clapton; I can't find even a NOTE of Clapton in his playing.   It's like cooking; I think it's interesting to know what ingredients are being used, but Alex Guarnaschelli isn't a worse cook because she uses the same tomatoes, salt and pepper that I do. 

If one isn't interested in that history, that's fine.  No harm no foul.  The ONLY time it comes into play is when a current generation lauds someone for being "one of a kind" and they're not.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2020, 09:01:24 AM »
Isn't hard rock the most popular or most successful form of rock music?

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2020, 09:04:03 AM »
Tommy sucks.

Nope. Along with Who's Next and Quad it's a classic by The Who.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2020, 09:18:03 AM »
Isn't hard rock the most popular or most successful form of rock music?

This is even more hilarious than the 'Tommy sucks.' post above.
Squ

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »
I am definitely on the "historical context" camp, I really can't help it. Leaving alone the obvious matter of influences, I'd point out that before it became possible to sample/model/reamp everything with a fingertip, rock music was (also) a progression of technological inventions/lucky accidents/experiments left to future musicians to play with and expand on. Plus, new sounds informed and inform new ears in an endless cycle (until we stop looking for new sounds, that is).

I find the idea of pitting musicians of different eras against each other in imaginary contests utterly pointless. As an analogy, Hamilton's pole positions, Senna's godlike driving in the rain at Donnington, Villeneuve and Arnoux trading paint for a whole lap: they're all part of the same chain of technology and proficiency tradition, yet uncomparable on absolute terms.

Furthermore, when comparing musicians, too often only mere execution is under the scope; too bad a musician is such mainly because she/he's writing music.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:53:16 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
Tommy sucks.

Nope. Along with Who's Next and Quad it's a classic by The Who.

Yes, it is a classic. I still think it sucks, WildTroll. But does it objectively suck?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
Furthermore, when comparing musicians, too often only mere execution is under the scope; too bad a musician is such mainly because she/he's writing music.

And then not even 'execution', but just what was put to tape and released. This is getting into a meta-discussion swiftly, but are we really hearing 'music' when we listen to recordings? Oftentimes the thing you hear - exactly as you hear it - has never been played that way. What is the music then? Is it what you hear, is it what the musicians perform when you hear them play it live, is it merely an idea in the composer's mind or is it something else entirely? 'Music' is ephemeral and only there at the exact moment it's played or heard. Yet what you hear on recordings has never really been played..

:corn
Squ

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2020, 10:07:43 AM »
Oh, what a wonderful face to face alcohol-fueled evening conversation this would be!

Anyway, I believe what you hear is always music, whether it comes from a recording, a live instrument, or inside your head.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »
Oh, what a wonderful face to face alcohol-fueled evening conversation this would be!

I’d love to
Squ

Offline pg1067

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
Is good metal objectively Led Zeppelin?

Is Led Zeppelin objectively good metal?

Objectively, metal makes good zeppelins.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2020, 11:35:41 AM »

And then not even 'execution', but just what was put to tape and released. This is getting into a meta-discussion swiftly, but are we really hearing 'music' when we listen to recordings? Oftentimes the thing you hear - exactly as you hear it - has never been played that way. What is the music then? Is it what you hear, is it what the musicians perform when you hear them play it live, is it merely an idea in the composer's mind or is it something else entirely? 'Music' is ephemeral and only there at the exact moment it's played or heard. Yet what you hear on recordings has never really been played..

DUDE!   That idea is right up my alley.  That's a fascinating idea. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2020, 11:32:12 PM »
Just jumping in here to comment on Tommy. When I was in my 'classic rock is the only thing I listen to' phase, I listened to The Who as much as any group, and Tommy all the time. In my current 'I listen to classic rock occasionally' phase, I still listen to The Who as much as any band in any genre, yet never listen to Tommy. Disregarding its standing in history for a moment, it pales in comparison next to Pete's two landmark masterpieces, Who's Next and Quadrophenia.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2020, 02:25:59 AM »

You’re invited to Indi’s and mine musical / philosophical wine (or whatever you prefer) evening :)
Squ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2020, 07:34:57 AM »

You’re invited to Indi’s and mine musical / philosophical wine (or whatever you prefer) evening :)

Wine is fine!  I'll bring a couple reds!

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2020, 08:15:27 AM »
"A couple reds, a couple whites, it all depends upon your appetites"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2020, 08:30:26 AM »
"Appetites... for destruction."

*Big Ass Monster Truck crashes through banquet hall wall*

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2020, 09:57:36 AM »
Tommy sucks.
:angry:

Didn't read whole thread but what really qualifies as hard rock? Is Quadrophenia hard rock? Or Sad Wings of Destiny?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »
 BOSTON
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2020, 07:25:08 PM »
Cheap Trick Heaven Tonight
Van Halen II
Led Zep II
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
Aerosmith Rocks
Ozzy Diary of a Madman

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2020, 08:38:18 AM »
Van Halen II
Led Zep II
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
Aerosmith Rocks
Ozzy Diary of a Madman

Other than Jailbreak, that's a phenomenal list.   I like the Cheap Trick nod; they STILL don't get enough love if you ask me. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2020, 10:20:04 AM »
Van Halen II
Led Zep II
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
Aerosmith Rocks
Ozzy Diary of a Madman

Other than Jailbreak, that's a phenomenal list.   I like the Cheap Trick nod; they STILL don't get enough love if you ask me.

Thank You  But Jailbreak could be the greatest CD made  : )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »
I agree that Jailbreak’s a fun album :)
Squ

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2020, 01:47:15 AM »
Van Halen II
Led Zep II
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
Aerosmith Rocks
Ozzy Diary of a Madman

What's wrong with Jailbreak?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2020, 07:11:10 AM »
Thin Lizzy kicks ass

Offline pg1067

« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2020, 10:19:14 AM »
Van Halen II
Led Zep II
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
Aerosmith Rocks
Ozzy Diary of a Madman

It was recorded by Thin Lizzy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2020, 11:04:23 AM »
Van Halen II
Led Zep II
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
Aerosmith Rocks
Ozzy Diary of a Madman

I have a hard time getting past Phil Lynott's voice, and I'm still very confused as to where the jailbreak actually is going to take place.  That bothers me, because I want to be there when it happens. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
Van Halen II
Led Zep II
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
Aerosmith Rocks
Ozzy Diary of a Madman

I have a hard time getting past Phil Lynott's voice, and I'm still very confused as to where the jailbreak actually is going to take place.  That bothers me, because I want to be there when it happens.

Hey now...that's my bugaboo!  "Somewhere in this town"?!  Why so vague, Phil?  Why would a jailbreak take place anywhere other than at the friggin' jail?!  How am I supposed to not "be around" if I don't have the specifics about the location?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2020, 01:20:35 PM »
HAHAHAHA, and I'm pretty sure that I DID actually steal that from you, so credit where credit is due!   :) :) :)

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2020, 02:06:39 PM »
Thin Lizzy kicks ass

I agree. They are a hard rock band that deserves wide appreciation.
I love their unique and distinctive style and vibe.