Author Topic: Your single favorite 'hard rock' album?  (Read 4367 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Your single favorite 'hard rock' album?
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »
I love Phls voice and hisi ability to tell his life story and story tell in their sings and they helped create they metal sound along with Judas back then
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
Cheap Trick Heaven Tonight
Van Halen II
Led Zep II
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
Aerosmith Rocks
Ozzy Diary of a Madman

Other than Jailbreak, that's a phenomenal list.   I like the Cheap Trick nod; they STILL don't get enough love if you ask me.

What's wrong with Jailbreak?

I have a hard time getting past Phil Lynott's voice, and I'm still very confused as to where the jailbreak actually is going to take place.  That bothers me, because I want to be there when it happens.

I know music is subjective but wow, there are people that don’t like Phil Lynott’s voice?  I didn’t think that was possible.

I’m kind of a pick and mix Thin Lizzy fan. The Jailbreak album for example has 4 songs I love (Jailbreak, TBABIT, Cowboy Song and Emerald) but would never listen to anything else off that record.  That pattern goes across most of their albums for me.  Super influential band though with two of hard rocks biggest ever bands (Bon Jovi and Def Leppard) both citing them as a major influence especially Leppard with the twin guitar stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
Bon Jovi actually did a really good cover of The Boys Are Back In Town.

My favorite Thin Lizzy album is Renegade, but if I'm picking from the classic Robertson Era, I go Bad Reputation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2020, 05:42:50 PM »
Bon Jovi actually did a really good cover of The Boys Are Back In Town.

My favorite Thin Lizzy album is Renegade, but if I'm picking from the classic Robertson Era, I go Bad Reputation.

You’re right, I forgot about that. Jon Bon Jovi has said many times though that people don’t realise how much he stole from Thin Lizzy.  When Bon Jovi used to be good of course.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2020, 05:50:34 PM »
And indeed, Bon Jovi used to be good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2020, 08:10:27 AM »
Cheap Trick Heaven Tonight
Van Halen II
Led Zep II
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
Aerosmith Rocks
Ozzy Diary of a Madman

Other than Jailbreak, that's a phenomenal list.   I like the Cheap Trick nod; they STILL don't get enough love if you ask me.

What's wrong with Jailbreak?

I have a hard time getting past Phil Lynott's voice, and I'm still very confused as to where the jailbreak actually is going to take place.  That bothers me, because I want to be there when it happens.

I know music is subjective but wow, there are people that don’t like Phil Lynott’s voice?  I didn’t think that was possible.

I’m kind of a pick and mix Thin Lizzy fan. The Jailbreak album for example has 4 songs I love (Jailbreak, TBABIT, Cowboy Song and Emerald) but would never listen to anything else off that record.  That pattern goes across most of their albums for me.  Super influential band though with two of hard rocks biggest ever bands (Bon Jovi and Def Leppard) both citing them as a major influence especially Leppard with the twin guitar stuff.

F-ing Maiden.  They're unabashedly grateful to Thin Lizzy for the twin-guitar attack (them and Wishbone Ash). 

And yeah; Lynott's voice is the single greatest hurdle for me.  And no, it doesn't necessarily make sense, because Brian Robertson's one album with Motorhead - Another Perfect Day - is BY FAR my favorite Motorhead album. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2020, 01:24:48 PM »
Oh, yeah Brian Robertson was an awesome guitar player, him and Lynott are the two things that I love about the band.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2020, 03:14:59 PM »
Houses of the Holy - Zeppelin

I know the idea is to pick 'one' album, but I'm going to add these to my original pick anyway:

Fireball - Deep Purple
Paranoid - Sabbath
Aqualung - Tull
Animals - Floyd
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2020, 03:21:06 PM »
I learned today that after Mark II and before Mark III, Blackmore mooted an idea of him, Lynott and Ian Paice in a trio doing a more Hendrix-blues-psychedelia trio thing. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2020, 04:40:35 PM »
I learned today that after Mark II and before Mark III, Blackmore mooted an idea of him, Lynott and Ian Paice in a trio doing a more Hendrix-blues-psychedelia trio thing.

Wow, where'd you hear that? That's juicy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2020, 09:21:08 AM »

Wow, where'd you hear that? That's juicy.

https://youtu.be/oU87aAW_j_A

I'm guessing about 45 minutes in, plus/minus.