Author Topic: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Post-Roulette)  (Read 38562 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I don't know enough post-hardcore, so that's why you're getting mediocre prog-metal and post-metal from me.

Be glad I didn't open the sludge / doom barrel :neverusethis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
First Impressions
Round 4 Playlist
Also one song not on spotify

1. There are melodies, sure, but where are the hooks, man?! The general sound of this is cool but I see myself struggling to really remember anything about it.
Elite: The Contortionist - Clairvoyant

2. Oh right THESE guys. I’m sorry but everything about this aesthetic is just… a huge turn-off for me, all of it. I think I turned this album off after the first song when I originally tried listening to it.
Dacul: Future of the Left - Bread, Cheese, Bow and Arrow

3. So the only single thing I could think most of my first listen was “wow, these guys sure do a pretty good Pearl Jam impression!”
Stadler: Psycho Motel - Rain

4. For the most part, I really dig the vocals on this. The music, not as sure about, though it definitely feels less important than the vocals anyways.
ariich: The Plot In You - My Old Ways

5. A classic example of “fun for what it is, but also very generic for what it is”. On first listen I already know what score this is going to get.
Tomislav95: Kalmah - They Will Return

This round sure has some songs in it. I'unno, feels better than the last round overall, I think. But has also probably the worst song of the roulette.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:37:03 AM by Cyril »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Round 4 Impressions)
« Reply #457 on: July 22, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »
Ohgod I probably just sent the one big dud didn't I :lol Is it 2, right?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #458 on: July 22, 2020, 08:36:21 PM »
Well, we'll see

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #459 on: July 23, 2020, 12:51:30 AM »
Is my the first one?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #460 on: July 23, 2020, 01:53:05 AM »
I'd guess at maybe 4 for me, and 3 for The Contortionist, which was perhaps sent by Elite?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #461 on: July 23, 2020, 01:59:35 AM »
you are 4 and Elite sent the contortionist but the other impressions guesses are wrong

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #462 on: July 23, 2020, 02:25:48 AM »
In that case...

Elite/Contortionist is impression 1 (I like that album having not liked any of their previous ones, but it's not exactly hook-laden).
Stadler sent Psycho Motel and is impression 5.
Sacul sent Future of the Left.
Tomi sent Kalmah and is impression 3.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #463 on: July 23, 2020, 02:37:20 AM »
close enough that i'll give it to you

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #464 on: July 23, 2020, 05:21:15 AM »
7/10

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #465 on: July 23, 2020, 05:42:20 AM »
Why would you send Kalmah though?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #466 on: July 23, 2020, 09:28:47 AM »
Why would you send Kalmah though?
Why not?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #467 on: July 23, 2020, 09:57:49 AM »
I would personally not send melodic death metal to Cyril, because I don't think he would like it. And then if I had no other choice, I think there's better melodeath out there than Kalmah.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: July 23, 2020, 09:58:42 AM »
you also sent me that battle of mice song, so  :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #469 on: July 23, 2020, 10:17:58 AM »
That's more post-metal, but yeah. It didn't score that well.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #470 on: July 23, 2020, 10:49:19 AM »
I'm not listening to melodeath that much tbh and also I'm kind of winging it this roulette. I've been lucky so far, yes, but it's more fun when I need to escape more bullets :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: July 23, 2020, 12:11:13 PM »
Well crap :lol is it too late to resend, was about to send something else from that album that was more digestable.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #472 on: July 23, 2020, 11:26:33 PM »
Well crap :lol is it too late to resend, was about to send something else from that album that was more digestable.
i'm genuinely tempted to say yes because i'm gonna be honest this might be the worst song i've ever been sent in a roulette, period. it at least has me questioning if it is.

but that would be bending the rules in a way i don't really want to do. if it helps yes your score is as bad as the previous statement implies sorry lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #473 on: July 23, 2020, 11:30:36 PM »
i'm genuinely tempted to say yes because i'm gonna be honest this might be the worst song i've ever been sent in a roulette, period. it at least has me questioning if it is.
/Absu
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: July 23, 2020, 11:33:44 PM »
absu is god-tier compared to this
that wretched slint song from my first roulette is genuinely the only song i can think of that's as bad as or worse and i do think it -is- worse just for being completely and utterly nothing + going on twice as long as this one but it's like comparing rotten apples to rotten apples

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: July 24, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
Even worse than that St. Vincent album I sent you? :metardica:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #477 on: July 24, 2020, 03:08:19 PM »
The vocals in Sacul's song gave me a good laugh. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #478 on: July 25, 2020, 06:43:19 PM »
I just dropped into this thread and am thrilled to see The Plot In You being sent by someone other than me.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #479 on: July 26, 2020, 04:55:35 AM »
Found this thread through Puppies signature, am now tempted to listen to Sacul's song AND whatever Absu is :metal you're wrong about Slint though :loser:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #480 on: July 26, 2020, 05:55:11 PM »
Round 4 Results
Round 4 Playlist

Elite: The Contortionist – Clairvoyant

First Impressions:
There are melodies, sure, but where are the hooks, man?! The general sound of this is cool but I see myself struggling to really remember anything about it.

Final Thoughts:
On the whole, this doesn’t -feel- like it should be the round winner because in many ways it’s weaker than the three songs below it. I still agree with my first impressions – I don’t find much of this memorable, but…

It’s in a weird way where that makes me just want to listen to this one more? This stands out from the crowd by virtue of being the only song here that feels like it has much depth beneath the surface, any real complexity to it, anything that isn’t just immediately obvious.

And while I don’t find it supremely memorable, I do find it enjoyable? I like the melodies they go for, the riffing is pretty solid, I don’t know what kind of chord the one that goes like BWAANNGG is that a lot of metal bands use lots of but I love that kind of chord. The vocals are pleasant although they’re definitely mixed too low. And the general atmosphere of this is nice too, up to including some synthy ambience at the end that I like.

I do remember checking this album out a few times back in 2017 and not really being too into it or remembering much of it and I can see why that would be the case, and maybe in full album form this won’t work so well for me, but for what I do hear here? Well, it’s not mindblowing, but it’s good for what it is all the same.

Score:

ariich: The Plot In You – My Old Ways

First Impressions:
For the most part, I really dig the vocals on this. The music, not as sure about, though it definitely feels less important than the vocals anyways.

Final Thoughts:
My gut reaction was to go “oh hell yeah more post-hardcore” and like. That’s valid I guess but this is of the “kind of flavorless/generic” variety too, ultimately. Things that stand out negatively: The riffs can get a bit close to djent-y in spots, though the guitar tone isn’t. The lower-pitched -core vocals sound… not good. I’m not so sure about the synths used either.

Everything else… it’s solid! Dude’s a pretty good singer. There’s a generally solid sound to this, the riffs hit hard, I feel A Number of Emotions listening to this (though not especially strong ones), it’s the right length for the style. The lyrics are kind of uninspiring and I was hoping they’d be able to help make this one really click for me but nah I don’t think they’re interesting at all.

It’s overall a pretty solid post-hardcore track. I feel that’s like, the theme of this round. Songs that are really solid examples of their styles but fail to go the extra mile in either execution or intrigue to really stand out. So how I rate them mostly just comes down to how much I like the style, and I like post-hardcore more than grunge and melodic death metal, so… yeah!

Score:

Stadler: Psycho Motel – Rain

First Impressions:
So the only single thing I could think most of my first listen was “wow, these guys sure do a pretty good Pearl Jam impression!”

Final Thoughts:
I say Pearl Jam but it gives me a more generally grungy vibe than anything and Pearl Jam is just the closest comparison I can make, I guess. I am not very knowledgeable in grunge, or grunge-adjacent acts, admittedly. Not a genre I mind either, just one that doesn’t do much for me.

This does have a bit of a hard rock bent to it too but the influence is undeniable, though I don’t think they’re incompatible sounds at all and this overall comes out to being pretty solid and enjoyable. The vocals are solid, the washed-out sound works for the aesthetic they’re going for, that guitar solo is pretty tasty, it doesn’t drag on too long. It all just works.

It’s something I’m going to listen to and go “oh, that right there is -my- song!!” but while it’s on I do like this one more than a decent bit. I really don’t have too much else to add about this one either. Another one where I’m a bit borderline on the score so I’m just gonna be nice again, who cares, it’s fine.

Score:

Tomislav95: Kalmah – They Will Return

First Impressions:
A classic example of “fun for what it is, but also very generic for what it is”. On first listen I already know what score this is going to get.

Final Thoughts:
When I think of melodic death metal usually I just assume “oh, power metal but with growls” and that’s to an extent kind of unfair as there’s plenty of melodeath that goes way heavier than power metal would ever dare.

But this one is definitely, 100% just power metal with growls. It even has the obligatory very specific keyboard patch for the guitar solo that every power metal band seems to use. It’s sort of hard to say much else about it because just by saying that you know what the entire song sounds like.

I will give this credit in that it does have solid riffing and melodic hooks, albeit ones generic enough that despite actually being hooks, I don’t tend to really remember what this song sounds like for very long after it’s over. I hate to overuse “generic” because that often doesn’t feel fair but this really just is… that. Enjoyable to listen to but it’s like the junk food of metal – high energy and very agreeable but mostly empty calories.

Score:

Dacul: Future of the Left – Bread, Cheese, Bow, and Arrow

First Impressions:
Oh right THESE guys. I’m sorry but everything about this aesthetic is just… a huge turn-off for me, all of it. I think I turned this album off after the first song when I originally tried listening to it.

Final Thoughts:
I’m going to be honest. I only listened to this twice. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to suffer through it more than that. I find everything about this insufferable. The vocals, especially, sound like the worst possible version of Mike Patton and it’s obvious the intent is to be annoying in that way. The main riff also sounds like a bad Faith No More riff too though. This is just really, excrutiatingly awful Faith No More, that’s it. The drums are basically non-existent. The lyrics seem really immature. There’s like. An attempt at mediocre-at-best riffing at the end.

I don’t think I’ve heard a song this bad in one of my roulettes since… uhh… oh, oh no, this genuinely may be the worst song I’ve ever had to suffer through in a roulette, I’m not gonna lie. Only that Slint song is comparable, I think, and I’m not going to go relisten to it to find out which one is worse. So yeah uuhh. Good luck with the bullets, I guess?

Score:

Eliminations coming tomorrow! Sleep well, everyone.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Round 4 Results)
« Reply #481 on: July 26, 2020, 06:07:56 PM »
Funny how I end up sending both the best and worst songs on your roulettes :2metal:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: July 26, 2020, 06:10:33 PM »
yeah it's just your thing it seems like
you had the best song in my v1, the worst album in my v4, the worst song in my v5, one of the best songs in my v6, and now both the best and worst (so far) in my v7

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #483 on: July 27, 2020, 12:47:49 AM »
Too bad :/ I hope I escape bullets once more because I got two bands I want to send really bad

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #484 on: July 27, 2020, 09:36:58 AM »
Oh wow, I got 'best' song of the round even :)

:corn
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #485 on: July 27, 2020, 09:38:45 AM »
Put me out of my misery!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #486 on: July 27, 2020, 10:04:03 AM »
Come on down to the murder circus! There's no circus tho

https://youtu.be/PUDFk7d-rzo

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #487 on: July 27, 2020, 10:16:32 AM »
The flashy colours of the spinning wheel, as well as the confetti at the end of each spin kind of gives it a circus vibe though :)
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #488 on: July 27, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »
The flashy colours of the spinning wheel, as well as the confetti at the end of each spin kind of gives it a circus vibe though :)
Plus there's a sound of people cheering/celebrating, even when a bullet is selected. "Hooray, you died!". :lol

Glad there were some deaths this time, and more glad that I wasn't one of them. Bring on the final round!

EDIT: Sent!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: July 27, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »
Hell yeah I'm out from yet another cyril roulette :2metal:

Tbh I was about to send How to Spot a Record Company as it's a lot more straightforward and way less annoying both vocally and musically. Would have likely gotten 2 or 3 bullets tho :lol