Author Topic: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Post-Roulette)  (Read 41251 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Round 1 Impressions)
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2020, 08:30:53 PM »
CYRIL IS ALLOWED TO KILL PEOPLE
:lol  :hat

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2020, 09:47:53 PM »
just an update; results should be tomorrow

current breakdown:
1 song that's the obvious round highlight 1 bullet
1 song that i also liked on first listen and have continued to enjoy a lot 1 bullets
1 song that surprisingly grew on me 2 bullets
4 songs that sit in this amorphous blob of "yeah this is pretty cool but never fully comes together" 2 bullets
3 songs where i'm like "well this is fine but doesn't really stand out much to me" 3 bullets
closer to this more likely though this isn't final of course
So basically everyone could potentially get eliminated in the first round......this is the most metal roulette ever!  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2020, 10:56:21 PM »
Round 1 Results
Round 1 Playlist

Dacul: Gospel – As Far As You Can Throw Me

First Impression:
Of all the songs in this round this is probably the most exciting sounding one to me. Reminds me a lot of a band I’ve been really into recently.

Final Thoughts:
So like, Joliette were definitely big fans of these guys, right? Apparently a 2000’s post-hardcore band that put out exactly one album ever then vanished off the face of the earth and I’m upset because this is? So good? I was worried that maybe it wouldn’t work for me as much on relistens but if anything the gap between it and the next best song is even wider than at the start of the round now.

Like, this is aggressive, manic, jagged, dissonant, but also tempered enough with melodic hooks, a dynamic ebb and flow, some raw technical riffing and lead work, it’s just relaly varied for a sub-6 minute track and like, every single moment just… works? It has just enough of a melodic edge to be fairly accessible but there’s so many layers underneath that and so much to unpack that I definitely haven’t had the time to do so in just a few days of listening.

God, I really want to save the best scores for like, the absolute cream of the crop and I’m really borderline on whether or not this should go there because it is, if nothing else, lacking a bit of an emotional core to it (as do Joliette, so they’re also similar in that regard) that keeps it from really hitting home for me. Eeehh. But it also feels wrong to put this in the same tier as other songs in this round, so.

In the spirit of the roulette I left it to chance.

Score:
Click above to find out!

Stadler: Steve Vai – Down Deep Into The Pain

First Impression:
This is at least some degree of cheating, right? I found this pretty enjoyable and more diverse than expected, though I don’t know if it’ll be a favorite either.

Final Thoughts:
So yeah if you don’t already know this song and album features a young, pre-SYL, pre-solo career Devin Townsend and he’s. Well, basically the star of the show here, showing off his flexibility with both some really powerful belting as well as harsher vocals that slot in surprisingly well with the hard rock feel of this track.

The hard rock feel I kind of expected and y’know, in small doses like this it’s a sound I can appreciate. I expected less the really heavy and dissonant riff that shows up in the prechorus (that Devin of course plays off of well) or the twinkly synths, or especially the long breakdown that makes up the last few minutes of the song. It goes in some weird directions, man.

Vai’s lead work is also good of course, that solo is kind of wank, sure, but the way it flows into that heavy riff and back into the last chorus is excellent. This is one of those cases where I kind of doubt I’d actually be too into a full album of this, but like… this one song is really cool and really surprised me, it’s probably the best thing you’ve ever sent me in a roulette if I’m being honest?

Score:

Puppies_On_Acid: The Arusha Accord – The Dark Pane Pt. 2

First Impression:
One of the better core sounds of the round, but like… structurally it’s an absolute mess, it feels like two or three different songs with zero transition between them.

Final Thoughts:
Like, regardless of what you think, this song is pretty objectively a sequence of kind of unrelated segments loosely stitched together, there’s almost no denying that. The first half feels like one song, then there’s just this slow bit in the middle, before the track picks up a bit more tempo, has a bit of a pause, then most of the rest is a big anthemic finale. It is still very disjointed to my ears.

What rescues this song is that it’s one of the songs here that’s both very consistent and very diverse, and I guess its structural issues help contribute to the latter, sure, but like. There could easily be a version of this song that fixes the flow issues and still has all the cool riffs, leads, general instrumental synergy, and big climactic moments.

But no, yeah, I definitely would pick this one as my favorite out of the set of songs this round that were 7-8 minute prog metal tunes, probably just on style and general sound alone – there’s very much a lot to like here and I definitely want to check out these guys further just on the basis of this song – but god they need a songwriter to step in and fix some of the obvious issues here, regardless.

Score:

Tomislav95: Disillusion – A Day by the Lake

First Impression:
I knew to expect the production issues on this one so I’m not surprised by them, but they do hurt what would otherwise be a pretty enjoyable sound.

Final Thoughts:
The single-note lead thing they do for a large part of this song, I can’t help but wonder if that inspired Mithras to some extent, with the first track of On Strange Loops. This is probably the first song so far (from the bottom up) that I can point to a riff in a song and go “oh hell yeah, that’s a sweet riff”. The main riff here, specifically. The bass also plays the same riff during the verses which translates to a pretty cool groove.

The vocals here too, I don’t remember being particularly impressed by the vocals when I checked out these guys before (or on their most recent album either) but on this one they’re pretty convincing. A lot more dynamic and alive than your standard prog or melodeath vocalist tends to be, I feel like.

Overall I think this one is good, I enjoy it a lot. I don’t know if it’s perfect, of course – the production is a bit muddy during the louder moments, the ending feels reeeeally abrupt, like the song is missing its last leg, it’s a bit simple overall (basically grounded on two alternating musical ideas) but it’s still a good, fun metal tune all the same.

Score:

ariich: Sikth – Golden Cufflinks

First Impression:
Some really awful vocals on this one, but other than that it’s… solid? Surprisingly plain, more than anything.

Final Thoughts:
For the record, the Sikth song I was sent in the past was the cover of Tupelo, which I actually liked a lot. It’s hard to compare it to this one though. Revisiting it now I do think the worst vocals on that one are worse than the worst on this, but. It has its moments

And I mean I still think this one is pretty good. I think it takes its time to get there – the front half is mostly establishing the main motifs of the song, with the aforementioned awful vocals (that subsequently take a backseat in the latter half) and like, the main riffs are good and the hook is good.

And then the bridge and everything after is way better. There’s a nice build to the final chorus driven by some strong percussion and a more atmospheric vibe overall, and the last chorus does capitalize on that build well too. Again I don’t know if it’s anything… spectacular, but it does all come together well.

I dunno, I expected this to be one of the lower placements on first listen but it did grow on me a decent bit. Not enough to be one of my favorites this round, but enough so that I feel comfortable rating it higher than I originally expected to.

Score:

Nekov: Jakub Zyteky – Satya's Diary

First Impression:
My initial reaction was to go “I said no djent” but this actually has a good heavy tone and is very tasteful and balanced. I’d struggle to say it flows well or has strong melodic hooks though.

Final Thoughts:
Also yes I’m aware this is the guitarist of DisperE, which is why I was expecting djent, and thus got djent. And the DispersE album I have is… alright! Not super memorable! His guitar leads all have a bit of a standard “djazz” vibe to them that sounds pleasant but never really stands out to me, and that’s kind of the case here too? The heavy riffing I like more than I’d expect because that guitar tone is actually really good, though.

I do feel like this falls into the same trap as VOLA (and a lot of djent, really) in that there’s parts of this where it’s just riffing without any real groove to it – technical, to be sure, but you still need to be able to, y’know, write a song! I don’t find any of it unpleasant but it does kind of just meander on for a while.

I think what pushes this up a few spots though is the last few minutes, where the song just shifts gears to an atmospheric interlude followed by a really anthemic outro that’s actually pretty cool, as standard and kind of Townsend-y as it is. It’s not a song that overall really wows me or makes me want to check out this artist further but it has its moments and is still at least enjoyable front-to-back.

Score:

Mr Crabs: Darkaeon – Ark Of The Universe Pt. 1

First Impression:
This one’s all over the place. Strong instrumental chops, “interesting” production, okay songwriting, and some truly wretched vocals.

Final Thoughts:
The vocals I’m referring to are the harsh vocals, for the record, which genuinely are terrible. They should just. Not use them. The cleans are ehh. A bit generic. Low-range power metal-y kind of. Like 75% of this is instrumental anyways so who really cares. The instruments, then. Well the guitar and bass tone aren’t great, they sound really rough and really thin respectively, but there at least isn’t any clash between the sounds of the instruments here.

All of that really doesn’t matter because I think a lot of the lead guitar work here is pretty strong – a balance of hook-laden leads, some wank/shred that doesn’t ever feel too indulgent, and a more soulful solo in the middle. The riffing? Ehh. It’s fine. Hurt by the production. The songwriting? It’s another one bookended by straightforward riffy stuff with the proggier bits all in the middle. Doesn’t necessarily flow great but it doesn’t feel completely haphazard either.

I certainly think there’s a lot more to this one than the songs below it and I’m at least curious if nothing else but I also don’t feel like this is an especially strong example of prog metal either, just a solid one that could use some polish.

Score:

Elite: VOLA – Stray the Skies

First Impression:
This was the submission I was closest to banning and I don’t think anything about this song is going to change my mind about the artist in question.

Final Thoughts:
When I complain about modern prog metal & djent this band is one of the first bands I think of, really. I’ve tried listening to this album several times and I’ve never actually made it to the end – their second album I thought was a lot better, although in part because it was less metal.

As for this song itself… it’s fine. The verses are pretty much a waste of time, they’re djent riffing with zero groove and vocals you can hardly hear, but the chorus is pretty strong - good vocal hook, the synths add a nice melodic contrast to the roaring guitars, it all fits together well even if it’s basically just an alt-metal chorus. The bridge is okay too I guess.

I dunno, I don’t really dislike this in any way but there’s not much about it that’s actively appealing about it besides the chorus, which is the one thing that keeps it rated above the song below it, but thaaaat’s about it.

Score:

Indiscipline: Faith No More – Woodpeckers from Mars

First Impression:
Completely different from what I was expecting, but what I was expecting was way worse than what I got, so I’m not complaining.

Final Thoughts:
To be clear; I think if this had been a vocal track it probably would have scored lower, since I just flat do not like Mike Patton’s voice. He can occasionally twist it into something listenable but it’s a rare miracle when he does.

As far as this song goes it’s… well, it’s not bad, but the most I can really say about it is that it’s just kind of “generic”. There’s something like two riffs in the entire song – the fast one at the start and end, and the slow one in the middle. And there’s a violin in there that feels a bit out of focus/feels like it should be given more room in the mix, that provides basically the only element of melody in this.

I don’t find it unpleasant to listen to – maybe a bit boring, I guess – but I don’t find anything about it very memorable, either. It’s the weakest of the round not for really doing anything wrong but more for just not having anything notable about it either.

Score:

Eliminations coming tomorrow! Sleep well, everyone.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 02:29:04 PM by Cyril »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Round 1 Results!)
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2020, 11:26:34 PM »
I have now performed eliminations, working on editing the video.

The outcomes are... interesting, we'll say  :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2020, 11:46:12 PM »
I have now performed eliminations, working on editing the video.

The outcomes are... interesting, we'll say  :corn
Dacul wins!
Congrats (D)Sacul!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2020, 01:28:24 AM »
VOLA
-> no groove. what?

Maybe I should have gone with a different song, but maybe this band just isn't for you. I think there's far worse prog metal out there (and I actually really like VOLA, so that's why I sent them). I hope the 50% chance to stay alive works in my favour so I can send you more shit you'll dislike :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2020, 01:29:20 AM »
I mean what I said.
I feel like djent bands automatically assume that playing low-note chugs in some rhythmic pattern implies it will automatically have groove and with that song at least it definitely was not the case.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2020, 01:32:00 AM »
I don't really think that simply because they play low note grooves they're automatically 'djent', because that term is more of a way to describe the guitar tone, which VOLA doesn't have (compare it to Periphery or Meshuggah for example). As far as groove goes, in my view VOLA have way more than your average death or black metal band, which doesn't groove at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2020, 01:40:05 AM »
...VOLA are definitely djent but alright  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2020, 08:32:11 AM »
Ok, good score. I'll take that. I'll be sending shortly.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2020, 08:49:12 AM »
Not if you're eliminated
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2020, 09:10:33 AM »
:(

I hope I eat a bullet 'cause if that got 3 Bullet Bills I can almost guarantee anything else I send is gonna get 4-5
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2020, 10:09:33 AM »
Alright, the moment of truth:

https://youtu.be/5cTNNydg_ZU

:corn

Anyone who survived has 48 hours from now to send for round 2!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 02:57:58 PM by Cyril »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Round 1 Eliminations!)
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »
You sound exactly how you sound in my head.

EDIT: THE WALRUS LIVES

EDIT 2: omg  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2020, 10:14:22 AM »
a friend once told me i have a red panda's voice

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2020, 10:15:21 AM »
Your voice must be like, two octaves above mine.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »
First Absu and now this!?!?  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
Wow Puppies, should have sent better music :neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2020, 10:17:23 AM »
Wow Puppies, should have sent better music :neverusethis:
:marriageanalogy:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2020, 10:35:56 AM »
First Absu and now this!?!?  :lol

:rollin

Here's what I rolled on a d6 btw (low numbers are bullets, high numbers are blanks)

Sacul: didn't roll as it's 0 apparently
Stads: 4 (survived)
Puppies: 6 (survived)
Tomi: 3 (survived)
Rich: 4 (survived)
Nekov: 5 (survived)
Tim: 6 (survived)
Katt: 3 (died)
Rich v2: 5 (survived)
Alex: 1 (died)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2020, 10:36:15 AM »
That was surprisingly fun to watch :lol
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2020, 10:42:42 AM »
I already sent for round 2, so consider me back from the dead! Or maybe I am undead now... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2020, 11:02:29 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2020, 12:03:09 PM »
Oh wow, so there's a lot of luck involved in this one as well?  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
Damn didn't expect to score so high and get saved from the bullets :lol

Yeah that whole album is pretty varied, some tracks a bit chaotic, others are almost post-rock, it's pretty cool :metal . I'm just surprised I hadn't already sent you that in a previous roulette, I've known that record for ages.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »
Oh wow, so there's a lot of luck involved in this one as well?  :lol

Someone didn't read the op!
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2020, 01:20:22 PM »
Damn Pup, that's unlucky.

Damn Stadler, that's lucky.

EDIT: Oh and yeah one of the Sikth vocalists has a really unique and weird style of singing, which is off-putting for a lot of people and was the case for me for quite a while. I've come to quite like the dark weirdness of it though, and since they got back together with a new second vocalist who is much stronger than the old guy, the melodic side is so much better these days and make the overall sound something I really enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:26:06 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2020, 02:12:14 PM »
and since they got back together with a new second vocalist who is much stronger than the old guy

I honestly can't tell who's who, both with the new vocalist and with the old one. Probably because they all put on so many voices.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2020, 02:18:58 PM »
and since they got back together with a new second vocalist who is much stronger than the old guy

I honestly can't tell who's who, both with the new vocalist and with the old one. Probably because they all put on so many voices.
The guy who has been in the band all along is the one with the really weird, "dark theatrical" style who goes really high and low and does all sorts of crazy voices. He's the one who does that "When Will the Forest Speak?" spoken word track on The Trees are Dead... He did when it when I saw them live (and wasn't even really a fan then) and it was ridiculously impressive.

The other vocalist tends to do the more melodic stuff. The old guy didn't have a good singing voice, or have much character in either his clean or harsh vocals, so I know what you mean about not even knowing who was who. But the new guy is the one who can actually sing the clean sections properly. :lol

Aaaaaaaanyway, sent for round 2.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2020, 02:34:38 PM »
The other vocalist tends to do the more melodic stuff. The old guy didn't have a good singing voice, or have much character in either his clean or harsh vocals

Did he do the entirety of Peep Show? The vocals there are great.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2020, 02:56:04 PM »
Ah I forgot all about that song, yeah that was him and he had some great moments on it. Just listening again and it's good, although he does also have his nasally stuff there as well. :lol But yeah I was probably being unfair in my recollection.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
Alright, the moment of truth:

https://youtu.be/dg1kYBJNMn8

:corn

Anyone who survived has 48 hours from now to send for round 2!

:lol :lol

Awesome. Pretty sure Puppies is the first person ever killed by a beach ball.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »
Sent a full magazine of bullets.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2020, 01:30:42 AM »
just an update; i'm still waiting on stadler and dacul. i'll give 'em until after work tomorrow or something like that

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #209 on: June 29, 2020, 01:39:21 AM »
I mean, you said in the first few posts what the rules were going to be; send in time or get dropped :corn
Squ