General > General Music Archives

Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Post-Roulette)

(1/115) > >>

Crow:
Cyril’s Lead-Filled Roulette

The Walrus has refused to accept any lead in his ongoing roulette, so we’ve got a surplus here in Cyril Industries. What better way to make use of it than with a friendly game of Russian Roulette?

It’s a metal-only roulette with a really bad game concept applied on top of it! Not for the faint of heart, or anyone taking things too seriously.

"Alive"
1. Elite

Dead.
4. Puppies_On_Acid (Round 1)
9. Indiscipline (Round 2)
8. Nekov (Round 2)
6. Mr. Crabs (Round 2)
7. Tomislav95 (Round 4)
3. Dacul (Round 4)
2. ariich (Round 5)
5. Stadler (Final Round)

Useful links:
Rules and Round Structure
Banned List
Artists Banned During the Roulette
Tastes
Roulette Grading Scale
My RateYourMusic Page

Past roulettes:
Roulette v1
Roulette v1.5
Roulette v2.5
Roulette v3
Roulette v4
Roulette v6

Round Results
Round 1: Impressions - Results
Round 2: Impressions - Results
Round 3: Impressions - Results
Round 4: Impressions - Results
Round 5: Impressions - Results
Final Round: Results

Crow:
Roulette Structure:
No player limit. There will be at most 5 rounds, followed by a sudden death round if necessary. Eliminations will happen regularly and hopefully often enough to ensure sudden death does not occur.

One song per round, no strict length limit but please be reasonable. Generally the best-scoring songs sit in the 7 to 10 minute range for me, 15+ minute epics don’t tend to sit as well with me anyways.

Rules:
1. Send songs via PM. Highest preference is Spotify if available, then direct MP3 links, followed by YouTube or any other sharing site as a last resort
2. There is no limitation on how many people are allowed to send the same song or artist in a round.  If the same song is sent by multiple people, that’s fine. You’ll all get the same score.
3. I reserve the right to reject any song or artist not on the banlist, most likely because I either know the specific song or the band probably should be on my banlist (which I will update if so).
4. Submissions are due within 48 hours after the last round’s results have been posted, barring any special exceptions for vacations. If you don’t send within 48 hours, well, again, we here at Cyril Industries have plenty of lead to spare for you. Every additional 24 hours delay will net you one penalty bullet per day. If you haven’t sent by the time results are ready, it’s instant elimination.

Crow:
Tastes:
I feel at this point this section is a little redundant, but I’ll keep it brief:

1.   I like music that emotes. More specifically, music that stirs up intense emotions. Could be just really beautiful tunes, or something intense and powerful. But sounding sterile and lifeless and lacking in emotion is the quickest way to bore me.
2.   I don’t like stuff that sounds “generic”. The definition of this probably varies, but unless you’re doing a well-established sound especially well, it’s highly likely you won’t catch my interest without some element that makes your music stand out. Generic prog metal, generic black metal, literally anything neo-prog, post-rock, post-metal, or especially power metal tends to bore me as there are so many bands in these genres just recycling other bands’ sounds with absolutely no new twist.
3.   Technicality is important but I also don’t like mindless wankery. Animals As Leaders blows. Music that exists to show off blows. Long strings of solos are less interesting than instrumental passages of instruments playing off each other in cool ways.
4.   Most importantly, I need some melody. Be it a catchy chorus, a sticky guitar hook, some really groovy basslines, whatever, but I don’t want shrill electronic noises or tuneless death/black/sludge metal songs that are either nonstop dissonant noodling or boring sludgy chugging. These elements both have their places as contrast to melodic moments, but they should rarely if ever be the main feature of a song.

I like metal the most, clearly. Pretty much open to most genres of metal, but I don’t really like sludge metal, thrash metal, deathcore, or djent, aside from the kind of stuff I already mentioned above. Black metal has been a favorite in recent years as has the more melodic side of technical death metal. I’ve also been on a post-hardcore kick for about a year and a half. And as ever bands with progressive tendencies tend to be my favorite as they more often than not require a lot of the above mentioned elements to be present. You’re free to challenge my tastes if you want but I’ve had plenty of years and plenty of roulettes to really hone in on the kind of stuff I like and at this point any risk you take is your own liability.

To be more specific, as this roulette is metal-only, here are my preferences for what I’d ideally prefer to be sent:
•   Most looking for: GOOD prog metal (no djent)
•   Other good choices: atmospheric black metal, post-hardcore
•   It depends: death metal, other black metal, post-metal
•   Probably not: power metal, folk metal, metalcore & other -core genres, djent, "classic" heavy metal
•   Very not: thrash metal, doom metal, sludge metal, nu-metal, industrial metal
•   If it's not listed here it's safe to assume it's under "probably not" unless I missed something really obvious

Since I understand submission choices may be limited, if it rocks hard enough that it could be considered metal by a reasonable stretch, I’ll allow it, but know that you would be sending something outside the scope of what I’m looking for here.

Crow:
Roulette Grading Scale:

Each song will be scored out of 5 bullets, with more bullets being worse. Any artist that receives 1 or 0 bullets will be banned. I’ve also listed roughly what each # of bullets would map to on a 0 to 10 scale, just for reference. You can’t get more than 5 bullets, unless you fail to send on time.

: Does nothing for me. Completely average or worse. (0 to 5)
: It’s okay but I can’t imagine myself revisiting it. (5 to 6)
: Decent but doesn’t really excite me. (6 to 7)
: Pretty good, might check out this album, might not. (7 to 8)
: Quite good, I’ll probably pick up this album. (8 to 9)
: I love this, please send more like it. (9 to 10)

After each round, I will spin a wheel to simulate a 6-barrelled game of Russian Roulette, and the # of bullets given per round will be loaded into the chambers. Whatever result the wheel lands on is final and immediate. There is no cumulative scoring between rounds.

If 5 rounds pass and there is still more than one player left alive, the roulette will go to sudden death, where every remaining player submits a song and the best song wins the whole thing.

Crow:
Banned List:
Because my standard ban list is, frankly, absurd, and since this roulette is already limiting the submission pool by its theming, I’ve decided to instead formulate a new ban list strategy.

1. Any album I have rated on RateYourMusic is banned. Any artist I have rated 4 stars or higher on RYM is banned. My RYM page is here and you can search from there.
2. Any album I own that is not rated is also banned. See my collection lists, and on the off chance that I have missed rating something older than that in my collection, I will update my RYM page appropriately.
3. Any song or album that was sent in a previous roulette is banned. I have compiled a spreadsheet of every song and album I have been sent in a roulette here.
4. Any artist I have been sent 3 or more times in a roulette is also banned. If they’ve been sent three times and I still haven’t gotten into them, it’s probably a sign they’re just not for me. We’ll call this the Katatonia rule.
5. I reserve the right to ban anything not covered by the above lists if I’m familiar enough with it to the point where sending it to me feels redundant, I will let you know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version