Author Topic: SN's Homestuck roulette: jpeg hero (final results)  (Read 56919 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
:corn                               :corn
:corn                               :corn
:corn                               :corn              :corn

:corn             :corn           :corn
 :corn             :corn           :corn      :corn :corn :corn :corn
:corn                                :corn                                   :corn
 :corn :corn                        :corn                          :corn        :corn
 :corn     :corn                    :corn                    :corn                    :corn
 :corn         :corn                :corn                 :corn                          :corn
 :corn             :corn            :corn                :corn                            :corn
 :corn                 :corn        :corn                  :corn                        :corn
 :corn                    :corn     :corn                    :corn                   :corn
 :corn                        :corn :corn                         :corn         :corn
 :corn                                :corn                                  :corn
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:10:41 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: SN's Homestuck roulette: jpeg hero (final results) (nice)
« Reply #1261 on: October 03, 2020, 10:24:18 PM »
FINAL RESULTS

TAC
Alizarin
Elegy Simulacra
A Wreath of Temperance
4 points

This is some fairly competent prog metal. Musically they lean away from being particularly technical, but they don’t seem to replace it with many interesting ideas or catchy sections, and they fall into the trap a lot of modern prog metal bands do of writing fairly flat vocal lines. The vocalist is… fine, but not really memorable in any way. It’s not bad overall, but it doesn’t seem to offer anything that other bands in genre aren’t already doing better.

The Walrus
Cellador
Leaving All Behind
Never Again
Honor Forth
Good Enough
This Means War
4 points

I’m just really not feeling this at all. First off, I assume the first two songs are from a debut album, because the production on those is complete dogshit. Everything kind of mushes together. The production on the other songs is much better, but the songs themselves still feel a bit uninspired. There’s some typical power metal guitar and drum work, but the vocals are pretty thin most of the time, and none of the chorus melodies really work that well which is generally the lynchpin for this kind of music.

Puppies_On_Acid
Ulcerate
Withered and Obsolete
Cold Becoming
There Is No Horizon
4 points

I’ll be honest, I don’t really get this at all. It’s not bad and I don’t mind listening to it, but I can’t manage to get anything out of it either. The songs feel kind of directionless for the most part; there’s just bludgeoning drums and guitars and guttural vocals for a while and then the song ends. I do think the build up at the beginning of There is No Horizon is pretty cool, though.

wolfking
Crypt Sermon
Christ is Dead
Snake Handler
4 points

I’m not super into thrash metal in general, but I enjoy some here and there. Musically this is all right when they’re riffing or soloing, but much of the time seems to be spent on these sort of plodding sections, where the vocals are front and center, and unfortunately I think the vocals are just really poor overall; the singer’s voice isn’t very strong and there doesn’t seem to be much of a melodic sense to the lines. There is some nice guitar work in the solo sections that I enjoy, but as a whole the songs don’t do much for me.

Cyril
The Hirsch Effekt
Agitation
Cotard
5 points

I think I listened to one of these guys’ albums back when we were doing the album of the week thread, and my impression was more or less that it was fairly good prog metal. That’s pretty much the same way I’m feeling about these songs here; fairly good, but nothing exceptional. It’s the problem I have with most prog metal these days, although having the vocals in German is pretty neat. And there are definitely some really nice moments here and there, but as full songs they’re not really moving me.

Buddyhunter1
Poppy
I Disagree
BLOODMONEY
Anything Like Me
Fill the Crown
Don’t Go Outside
6 points

Offhand, I think you’ve probably sent me the weirdest submissions in this roulette, and you seem to be continuing the trend here. The sound is a mix of heavy guitars and industrial sounds with vocals that mainly alternate between light and melodic and a sort of rhythmic yelling, although there are some other styles in here as well. There’s a lot that’s interesting here, and a lot to like, but there’s also a fair bit that doesn’t really work for me at all, which results in a sort of middling score.

Tomislav95
The Pineapple Thief
In Exile
The Final Thing on My Mind
Bond
6 points

I’ve heard of this band here and there, mainly because they are (or were, I guess) on the same label as Porcupine Tree. I can see the stylistic similarities, probably derived from the common ancestor of Pink Floyd? They create a great atmosphere and sonically it’s really good, although I don’t think the songs themselves stand out much beyond being fairly good. The best part here is the finale of The Final Thing on My Mind, but it feels like they take way too long to get there.

Stadler
Night Ranger
Interstate Love Affair
Walk in the Future
When You Close Your Eyes
Penny
Sing Me Away
6 points

This is pretty fun, ballad-y rock music. It’s very smooth, both in terms of the music and the vocals, although this kind of work both for it and against it, as I think a bit more of an edge would be beneficial at points. Penny actually does, and as a result it ends up being my favorite song of the bunch. None of the others are bad, but I think most of them tend to get a bit repetitive near the second half which pulls the score down some.

romdrums
Peter Gabriel
Red Rain
Intruder
I Have the Touch
Kiss That Frog
7 points

This is a (mostly) nice set of songs. Red Rain and I Have the Touch have a 80s sort of pop/rock sound to them, and Kiss That Frog goes for more a funky feel which is a lot of fun. Intruder is the most ‘out there’ and experimental, and while I appreciate the effort, in this case the song just doesn’t really do much for me. On the other songs, though, Gabriel’s vocals are consistently excellent and the instrumentation is very nicely varied and unconventional.

Luoto
Dvne
Thirst
Scion
7 points

I’m pretty into the harsh vocals here, although I think they could have used a bit more variation. He uses the same guttural roar most of the time, but it works well, and I think the rest of the music stays fluid enough to counterbalance any sense of monotony. The slower, chiming-guitar sections are really nice, but even when the songs are staying heavy, the riffs evolve and change enough to stay engaging. I do think the clean vocals on Scion are a bit of miss though; they don’t seem very strong and I don’t know that the song would lose anything if they weren’t there.

Sacul
Glen Hansard
Bird of Sorrow
Philander
Don’t Settle
I’ll Be You, Be Me
7 points

I’ve seen this guy get sent in a lot of roulettes over the years, but I don’t think I’ve ever listened to any of his stuff. It’s an indie sound with a bit of a folk/singer/songwriter feel to it, where the main emphasis is on the vocalist. He’s got a nice, distinctive voice that goes from the low, half-spoken parts to the belting sections really well, and I think the two songs that make the most use of that contrast (Bird of Sorrow and Don’t Settle) are the best ones here. The other two are nice, but don’t really have enough variation to stay engaging.

ariich
Bear Ghost
Sickness for Nothing
She-Wrecks
Paradise
Funkle Phil
Prelude
8 points

This is a really creative sound, both in terms of music and vocals. They’ve got electronic bits, heavy bits, funky bits, and a really great, versatile vocal performance. I’ve always been a fan of that vaudevillian, Dear Hunter-esque dramatic vocal style, and this guy does it really well on these songs, as well as mixing in other styles like on Funkle Phil and Sickness for Nothing. Not everything they try works for me, but a lot of it does, and the more I’ve listened to these songs the more they’ve grown on me.

Elite
Talking Heads
Slippery People
Swamp
Once in a Lifetime
Crosseyed and Painless
8 points

OK, I guess I’ve actually heard the chorus of Once in a Lifetime before, but I didn’t remember until I heard it, so I figure it’s fine. Anyway, this is really cool, funky stuff. The vocal approach is pretty atypical and I could see it being a detriment, but I’m pretty into it for the most part, and they balance the partially-spoken parts with more melodic sections. The bass is a real standout here as well that always keeps the songs moving.

HOF
Prefab Sprout
Goodbye Lucille #2
Appetite
When Love Breaks Down
Bonny
Ineffable
8 points

These guys have a really interesting sound. There’s a very 80s-pop feeling to the instruments and production on Lucille and Appetite, but the song construction and vocal style feels new wave-y to me. The two acoustic songs are naturally a bit more stripped back but still feel pretty unconventional in the way the instruments interact, and the singer’s style is pretty different but still works quite well.  and then Ineffable is a totally different, orchestral kind of piece. I’m not totally sure how well it works with the other songs, but on its own it’s a nice bit of music.

Evermind
Mark Knopfler
Redbud Tree
The Scaffolder’s Wife
Dream of the Drowned Submariner
Wherever I Go
9 points

I’m vaguely familiar with Knopfler via Dire Straits, and have always really enjoyed his guitar work, and unsurprisingly it’s excellent here as well. He’s got a very distinct style that’s really expressive and avoids being showy at all. That said, the songs here are mainly focused around the vocals, and while I’ve just been lukewarm on that aspect of Dire Straits, his voice here has a great full sound to it that suits the songs really well. I’m not sure if he was the singer in Dire Straits, but if so, I definitely prefer him here. The second vocalist on the last song is great as well, and her voice and his complement each other quite well.

FINAL STANDINGS

ariich   69
Tomislav95   65
Luoto   64
romdrums   64
Evermind   62
Buddyhunter1   61
Sacul   60
The Walrus   59
Elite   55
HOF   55
Stadler   53
TAC   50
wolfking   50
Cyril   50
Puppies_On_Acid   49

Congratulations Rich!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

And thank you to everyone for participating! I have greatly enjoyed having each of you in my roulette, and you've given me a lot of music to ponder for the next few years until I do another one of these.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: SN's Homestuck roulette: jpeg hero (final results)
« Reply #1262 on: October 03, 2020, 10:27:33 PM »
@ ariich's score: nice
also heck yeah not last place :metardica:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1263 on: October 03, 2020, 10:55:58 PM »
I kind of get your take on Ulcerate, I'm actually fine with that. I don't necessarily agree, but it's fine. However, I think The Hirsch Effekt got short changed big time. :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1264 on: October 03, 2020, 11:02:03 PM »
i'm pretty much numb to shadow meh'ing my submissions by this point so  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1265 on: October 03, 2020, 11:04:55 PM »
I think I said before that we're pretty much musical opposites. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1266 on: October 03, 2020, 11:06:38 PM »
Which would make us  basically musical opposites as well. And judging by my score, that's most likely true.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1267 on: October 03, 2020, 11:09:45 PM »
go listen to the new svalbard album and get back to me

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: October 04, 2020, 12:40:56 AM »
 :lol Crypt Sermon are thrash metal?!?!  Haha thanks for having me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1269 on: October 04, 2020, 02:56:56 AM »
Whoooo I even moved up on the scoreboard!

Thanks for running this!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1270 on: October 04, 2020, 05:55:08 AM »
Wow those chorus melodies are actually really strong with very powerful cadences. And thin vocals? I don't get that at all, but ight
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1271 on: October 04, 2020, 06:09:13 AM »
And thin vocals? I don't get that at all, but ight

Yeah, crap on the production all you want but those vocals aren't thin.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online HOF

Re: SN's Homestuck roulette: jpeg hero (final results) (nice)
« Reply #1272 on: October 04, 2020, 08:04:55 AM »

HOF
Prefab Sprout
Goodbye Lucille #2
Appetite
When Love Breaks Down
Bonny
Ineffable
8 points

These guys have a really interesting sound. There’s a very 80s-pop feeling to the instruments and production on Lucille and Appetite, but the song construction and vocal style feels new wave-y to me. The two acoustic songs are naturally a bit more stripped back but still feel pretty unconventional in the way the instruments interact, and the singer’s style is pretty different but still works quite well.  and then Ineffable is a totally different, orchestral kind of piece. I’m not totally sure how well it works with the other songs, but on its own it’s a nice bit of music.

FINAL STANDINGS

ariich   69
Tomislav95   65
Luoto   64
romdrums   64
Evermind   62
Buddyhunter1   61
Sacul   60
The Walrus   59
Elite   55
HOF   55
Stadler   53
TAC   50
wolfking   50
Cyril   50
Puppies_On_Acid   49

Congratulations Rich!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

And thank you to everyone for participating! I have greatly enjoyed having each of you in my roulette, and you've given me a lot of music to ponder for the next few years until I do another one of these.

Hey, I’m glad you liked this! Prefab Sprout are another band that Steve Hogarth has touted in the past as an influence. Particularly the album Steve McQueen, which is what all of these are taken from (except the last instrumental track). I’ve been aware of them for years but only really checked them out this past year. They are pretty much in that same vein of 80s new wave/power pop as XTC and Tears for Fears but with a fairly unique twist.

Truthfully Steve McQueen (it was released under the name Two Wheels Good in the US due to legal reasons) is the one album of theirs that has really grabbed me, but it is phenomenal. The two acoustic tracks are from an all acoustic version of the album that was released in 2007 I think. Definitely worth checking out both the original Steve McQueen album from the 80s and the acoustic version if you can find it.

In the end, I probably shouldn’t have sent some of the stuff I had a feeling you might not like in favor of more 80s pop/new wave stuff! But thanks for hosting this and having me!

Also, congratulations Rich!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1273 on: October 04, 2020, 08:29:11 AM »
:lol Crypt Sermon are thrash metal?!?!  Haha thanks for having me.

I don't know, they sounded sort of thrashy to me.

Whoooo I even moved up on the scoreboard!

Thanks for running this!

No problem, thanks for playing!

And thin vocals? I don't get that at all, but ight

Yeah, crap on the production all you want but those vocals aren't thin.

nope i'm right

Hey, I’m glad you liked this! Prefab Sprout are another band that Steve Hogarth has touted in the past as an influence. Particularly the album Steve McQueen, which is what all of these are taken from (except the last instrumental track). I’ve been aware of them for years but only really checked them out this past year. They are pretty much in that same vein of 80s new wave/power pop as XTC and Tears for Fears but with a fairly unique twist.

Truthfully Steve McQueen (it was released under the name Two Wheels Good in the US due to legal reasons) is the one album of theirs that has really grabbed me, but it is phenomenal. The two acoustic tracks are from an all acoustic version of the album that was released in 2007 I think. Definitely worth checking out both the original Steve McQueen album from the 80s and the acoustic version if you can find it.

In the end, I probably shouldn’t have sent some of the stuff I had a feeling you might not like in favor of more 80s pop/new wave stuff! But thanks for hosting this and having me!

Also, congratulations Rich!

Thanks for playing!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1274 on: October 04, 2020, 09:53:02 AM »
Damn, just barely missed out on the top 5 :-\ I'll gladly accept the superlative for weirdest submissions though! :metal

This was a fun roulette - hope I sent some stuff you go on to explore further!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1275 on: October 04, 2020, 01:10:00 PM »
Yay! :D

Glad I stuck with the non-heavy stuff, we seem to have quite a lot of well-aligned tastes there and less for so heavy music, or perhaps to some extent it's that a lot of the heavy stuff we'll both like we both know already. Either way, I'm glad the path I took paid out, and really happy that you liked every non-heavy submission of mine so much! Every round I only sent songs from a single album so hopefully a decent number of those albums will be up your alley.

Thanks again for having me, it was a blast!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: October 05, 2020, 03:06:06 AM »
Finished strong! Cracked the top 5 even, wow.

Thanks for running this SN!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1277 on: October 05, 2020, 08:55:11 AM »
I'm not last!

Shadow, thanks for running this; you did a great job!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1278 on: October 05, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »
Cool, kinda expected a bit more but I'll take it :P

Thanks for having me! Was pretty cool to try different things and see what stuck and what not.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1279 on: October 06, 2020, 10:01:26 AM »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1280 on: October 07, 2020, 02:53:18 AM »
GG all. Wasn't this close to win since forever :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...