Author Topic: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Post-Roulette)  (Read 40616 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Post-Roulette)
« on: June 17, 2020, 01:42:55 AM »
Cyril’s Lead-Filled Roulette

The Walrus has refused to accept any lead in his ongoing roulette, so we’ve got a surplus here in Cyril Industries. What better way to make use of it than with a friendly game of Russian Roulette?

It’s a metal-only roulette with a really bad game concept applied on top of it! Not for the faint of heart, or anyone taking things too seriously.

"Alive"
1. Elite

Dead.
4. Puppies_On_Acid (Round 1)
9. Indiscipline (Round 2)
8. Nekov (Round 2)
6. Mr. Crabs (Round 2)
7. Tomislav95 (Round 4)
3. Dacul (Round 4)
2. ariich (Round 5)
5. Stadler (Final Round)

Useful links:
Rules and Round Structure
Banned List
Artists Banned During the Roulette
Tastes
Roulette Grading Scale
My RateYourMusic Page

Past roulettes:
Roulette v1
Roulette v1.5
Roulette v2.5
Roulette v3
Roulette v4
Roulette v6

Round Results
Round 1: Impressions - Results
Round 2: Impressions - Results
Round 3: Impressions - Results
Round 4: Impressions - Results
Round 5: Impressions - Results
Final Round: Results
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:34:33 PM by Cyril »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (give me a bit to set up)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 01:43:15 AM »
Roulette Structure:
No player limit. There will be at most 5 rounds, followed by a sudden death round if necessary. Eliminations will happen regularly and hopefully often enough to ensure sudden death does not occur.

One song per round, no strict length limit but please be reasonable. Generally the best-scoring songs sit in the 7 to 10 minute range for me, 15+ minute epics don’t tend to sit as well with me anyways.

Rules:
1. Send songs via PM. Highest preference is Spotify if available, then direct MP3 links, followed by YouTube or any other sharing site as a last resort
2. There is no limitation on how many people are allowed to send the same song or artist in a round.  If the same song is sent by multiple people, that’s fine. You’ll all get the same score.
3. I reserve the right to reject any song or artist not on the banlist, most likely because I either know the specific song or the band probably should be on my banlist (which I will update if so).
4. Submissions are due within 48 hours after the last round’s results have been posted, barring any special exceptions for vacations. If you don’t send within 48 hours, well, again, we here at Cyril Industries have plenty of lead to spare for you. Every additional 24 hours delay will net you one penalty bullet per day. If you haven’t sent by the time results are ready, it’s instant elimination.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 01:43:47 AM »
Tastes:
I feel at this point this section is a little redundant, but I’ll keep it brief:

1.   I like music that emotes. More specifically, music that stirs up intense emotions. Could be just really beautiful tunes, or something intense and powerful. But sounding sterile and lifeless and lacking in emotion is the quickest way to bore me.
2.   I don’t like stuff that sounds “generic”. The definition of this probably varies, but unless you’re doing a well-established sound especially well, it’s highly likely you won’t catch my interest without some element that makes your music stand out. Generic prog metal, generic black metal, literally anything neo-prog, post-rock, post-metal, or especially power metal tends to bore me as there are so many bands in these genres just recycling other bands’ sounds with absolutely no new twist.
3.   Technicality is important but I also don’t like mindless wankery. Animals As Leaders blows. Music that exists to show off blows. Long strings of solos are less interesting than instrumental passages of instruments playing off each other in cool ways.
4.   Most importantly, I need some melody. Be it a catchy chorus, a sticky guitar hook, some really groovy basslines, whatever, but I don’t want shrill electronic noises or tuneless death/black/sludge metal songs that are either nonstop dissonant noodling or boring sludgy chugging. These elements both have their places as contrast to melodic moments, but they should rarely if ever be the main feature of a song.

I like metal the most, clearly. Pretty much open to most genres of metal, but I don’t really like sludge metal, thrash metal, deathcore, or djent, aside from the kind of stuff I already mentioned above. Black metal has been a favorite in recent years as has the more melodic side of technical death metal. I’ve also been on a post-hardcore kick for about a year and a half. And as ever bands with progressive tendencies tend to be my favorite as they more often than not require a lot of the above mentioned elements to be present. You’re free to challenge my tastes if you want but I’ve had plenty of years and plenty of roulettes to really hone in on the kind of stuff I like and at this point any risk you take is your own liability.

To be more specific, as this roulette is metal-only, here are my preferences for what I’d ideally prefer to be sent:
•   Most looking for: GOOD prog metal (no djent)
•   Other good choices: atmospheric black metal, post-hardcore
•   It depends: death metal, other black metal, post-metal
•   Probably not: power metal, folk metal, metalcore & other -core genres, djent, "classic" heavy metal
•   Very not: thrash metal, doom metal, sludge metal, nu-metal, industrial metal
•   If it's not listed here it's safe to assume it's under "probably not" unless I missed something really obvious

Since I understand submission choices may be limited, if it rocks hard enough that it could be considered metal by a reasonable stretch, I’ll allow it, but know that you would be sending something outside the scope of what I’m looking for here.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 01:44:50 AM »
Roulette Grading Scale:

Each song will be scored out of 5 bullets, with more bullets being worse. Any artist that receives 1 or 0 bullets will be banned. I’ve also listed roughly what each # of bullets would map to on a 0 to 10 scale, just for reference. You can’t get more than 5 bullets, unless you fail to send on time.

: Does nothing for me. Completely average or worse. (0 to 5)
: It’s okay but I can’t imagine myself revisiting it. (5 to 6)
: Decent but doesn’t really excite me. (6 to 7)
: Pretty good, might check out this album, might not. (7 to 8)
: Quite good, I’ll probably pick up this album. (8 to 9)
: I love this, please send more like it. (9 to 10)

After each round, I will spin a wheel to simulate a 6-barrelled game of Russian Roulette, and the # of bullets given per round will be loaded into the chambers. Whatever result the wheel lands on is final and immediate. There is no cumulative scoring between rounds.

If 5 rounds pass and there is still more than one player left alive, the roulette will go to sudden death, where every remaining player submits a song and the best song wins the whole thing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 01:45:06 AM »
Banned List:
Because my standard ban list is, frankly, absurd, and since this roulette is already limiting the submission pool by its theming, I’ve decided to instead formulate a new ban list strategy.

1. Any album I have rated on RateYourMusic is banned. Any artist I have rated 4 stars or higher on RYM is banned. My RYM page is here and you can search from there.
2. Any album I own that is not rated is also banned. See my collection lists, and on the off chance that I have missed rating something older than that in my collection, I will update my RYM page appropriately.
3. Any song or album that was sent in a previous roulette is banned. I have compiled a spreadsheet of every song and album I have been sent in a roulette here.
4. Any artist I have been sent 3 or more times in a roulette is also banned. If they’ve been sent three times and I still haven’t gotten into them, it’s probably a sign they’re just not for me. We’ll call this the Katatonia rule.
5. I reserve the right to ban anything not covered by the above lists if I’m familiar enough with it to the point where sending it to me feels redundant, I will let you know.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 01:45:15 AM »
Artists Banned During the Roulette:

Round 1:
Gospel
Steve Vai
The Arusha Accord

Round 2:
Mutoid Man
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 06:23:29 PM by Cyril »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 01:45:42 AM »
Three huge posts within one minute. If that doesn't scream 'preparation' I don't know what does. I'm here completely unprepared with almost nothing to send, but let's do it anyway. If anything, I might discover some fun stuff myself as well!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 01:46:56 AM »
Okay now I am set up.

Signups will go until the end of Sunday PST (June 21st, 2020). Submit whenever you're ready I guess  :metal

I wanna keep this one fast-paced and ideally shoot for it to be done in under a month. I'm probably not going to give as many listens or write as in-depth writeups as usual, either. Because I don't feel like it. This is a kind of silly roulette concept anyways but I want to do something fun & hopefully get some good metal out of it too  :corn

Three huge posts within one minute. If that doesn't scream 'preparation' I don't know what does. I'm here completely unprepared with almost nothing to send, but let's do it anyway. If anything, I might discover some fun stuff myself as well!

I spent a huge chunk of my evening prepping the banlist and putting together the introductory posts, I was 0% prepared when I woke up this morning tbh  :lol

Though some of this is just straight copy-pasted from previous roulettes.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 01:47:09 AM »
Crap, I ruined it already, didn't I? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 01:48:23 AM »
Crap, I ruined it already, didn't I? :lol

nah you're good I'm done with opening posts

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 01:48:59 AM »
But at the time I was posting the first one there were only three posts and now there are 5 of them :lol
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 01:50:18 AM »
So let's get this straight. No matter how well my song scores (unless I get 0 bullets) I can still get eliminated by the russian roulette thing after each round?
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 01:52:28 AM »
So let's get this straight. No matter how well my song scores (unless I get 0 bullets) I can still get eliminated by the russian roulette thing after each round?
Yep! Sending a better song just increases your chances of survival!
I'm considering retooling the sudden death round to be some kind of western shootout type thing similar to Indi's Royal Rumble but that also has the potential for it to last more than one round, which I don't want  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 01:53:20 AM »
Time to put my life on the line! :metal

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Signups open! Enter at your own risk!)
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 01:54:39 AM »
ariich, can you help me enforce that whoever gets killed in my roulette gets banned from DTF for real? :neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 02:04:10 AM »
I hope you'll make videos of the russian roulette thing. Ooh the excitement.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 02:20:23 AM »
Oh yeah absolutely, that was the plan. Even found a wheel site that lets me upload images  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 07:10:43 AM »
The Walrus is here to embarrass itself
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 07:29:48 AM »
Wait, does everyone get their own individual russian roulettes? Or does scoring better increase everyone's chance of survival?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 07:34:56 AM »
Right, now that I've signed up, I need to figure out what metal I actually have to send you. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 07:37:41 AM »
I'd love to obnoxiously join this, but I'm pretty short on metal produced in the internet age  :-\

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 08:39:05 AM »
I'm in just for the shear ridiculousness of the roulette structure!

I mean a roulette that is an actual roulette? How absurd!  :lol

By the way you are banned from my Black Metal Album of the Week thread until this roulette is over, or until I get killed. Whichever happens first.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 09:23:57 AM »
am in just to be the first to get the bullet :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 09:40:36 AM »
Wait, does everyone get their own individual russian roulettes? Or does scoring better increase everyone's chance of survival?
why would everyone get the same russian roulette  :lol

By the way you are banned from my Black Metal Album of the Week thread until this roulette is over, or until I get killed. Whichever happens first.
good most of those frickin' suck anyways :neverusethis:

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »
Basically everything I could send you here falls squarely into the "very not" category so I'll be skipping this one :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 09:46:16 AM »
Sent some crap
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »
Yeah, I'll skip, good luck to those who are playing. I'll probably roll a d6 for each participant after the results are posted to see if they would've survived in the alternate universe though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »
Basically everything I could send you here falls squarely into the "very not" category so I'll be skipping this one :P

:lol Yeah pretty much this. I think Cyril and I are musical opposites anyway. If we ever collide we'll both be annihilated.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 10:05:05 AM »
y'all are cowards i say  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »
I'm playing and ya'll are dropping out. Best timeline

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2020, 10:39:28 AM »
I'll give it a go, because, sure why not.  But I don't think I'm going to find it easy to send stuff.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »

That’s redundant.

Sent some crap

So is that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2020, 10:43:43 AM »
In!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »

That’s redundant.

Sent some crap

So is that.

Wow, the shade! Can't wait for you to eat these words and embarrass yourself, Crankshaft  :biggrin: :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »
I'll give it a go, because, sure why not.  But I don't think I'm going to find it easy to send stuff.
just a reminder to everyone that you need to find, at absolute most, 6 songs, and odds are you won't even need that many, so... if the question is finding stuff to send it can't be -that- hard, right? i've even relaxed my banlist quite a bit :P