Author Topic: Dire Straits  (Read 9799 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dire Straits
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2017, 03:31:19 AM »
I've only ever heard him say never say never...but they do special one offs for friends weddings etc...But that was a few years ago now.

The others are touring as "The Straits". Dunno how you could do that without Mark on vocals and guitar. He has THAT voice and THAT guitar style.

You can't just get anyone in.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »
I don't think it'll ever happen. From interviews I've seen Mark loves what he is doing now, playing smaller shows with his solo stuff and DS stuff mixed in.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2017, 07:01:01 AM »
I don't think it'll ever happen. From interviews I've seen Mark loves what he is doing now, playing smaller shows with his solo stuff and DS stuff mixed in.

That's a shame really, I quite like his solo stuff as well but sometimes it's just too relaxed for me. And even if Dire Straits were almost his solo act as well, it was on a whole other level.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2017, 07:22:54 AM »
Dire Straits was Mark Knopfler and John Illsley ... oh and Alan Clark I guess..

The rest of them were whoever was in the band at the time.

- - - - - -

What do you think of 4 of them touring as The Straits and playing DS songs ?

They won't get much money for it ( shhh )...As Mark would get most from royalties I expect. . .

Continuing to have fun playing the music you loved OR sad attempt to stay popular ?

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2017, 08:56:20 AM »
... and Guy Fletcher. At least Fletcher is still in Mark's band. But it really was all about Mark Knopfler. Nobody listened to Dire Straits because of the drummer or keyboarder or bassist. It was the songs (solely written by Mark) and the guitar that made them famous.

The only thing I know about "The Straits" is that they played a one off show at a charity event.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2020, 05:55:01 AM »
Not really my cup of tea, but somebody posted Calling Elvis in the MM thread as an example of great drum dynamics. Just dropping in to agree.

That was me :hat
Yea Jeff did a great job building the song up and the drum sound is so good. I love when he introduces the toms.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2020, 09:55:31 AM »
I have no idea why this thread got resurrected... but I'd like to chime in: On Every Street is a VERY underrated album. I think, there are fantastic songs on there, Calling Elvis being one of them. The title track is just utterly beautiful, with its endless buildup (Mark is just a master in building up songs, see Hill Farmers Blues... but what am I saying, Mark Knopfler is just a master in general). Fade To Black, You And Your Friend - do I have to say anything? Amazing songs. Friggin Planet Of New Orleans??? I don't understand why this album is not ranked among Dire Straits' best efforts.

And yeah the sound is so 90s, I love that slim, yet somehow modern (at least more modern than 80s albums) sound. Drums sound mighty. I have been listening to this album since I was 4 and somehow I never knew that Jeff Porcaro (and Manu Katche!) were the one who played those great drum tracks. I should have known  :biggrin:

Thanks for making me think about this album again! I'll spin it tonight  :)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »
I don't know what the fans in general think about On Every Street, I quite like that record, although I could do without Ticket To Heaven. I saw them on the tour for that record for the first, and sadly, last time, and most of the songs were even better live.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2020, 01:52:09 PM »
I personally love On Every Street. I think I listen to it more than Brothers In Arms.