Author Topic: You're cancelled!  (Read 15959 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Inglourious Basstard
Re: You're cancelled!
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2020, 03:31:27 PM »
Id be willing to bet that it was torn down by those rioting, not by those trying to make a difference with racism.  But I think you already know that, and posted it just for effect anyway.

Edit: and Chris, Iím not intending this to be a personal attack on you, so my apologies if it seems that way.  But the post feels like a drive-by zinger.

Eric, it was a drive-by post, so I will take the criticism. It was just a point to try and show how insane this has gotten.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2020, 04:14:06 PM »
Not all those are the same, though.

James Woods is a two-time Academy Award nominee that has only a handfull of award nominations in the past 20 years.
The Cathy family was "forced" to choose between their fundamental religious beliefs and their business.
Nugent is Nugent.
The NFL's move was a monkey fucking a, well, football; they didn't make a choice as much as bumble into a quagmire.
Fox is mocked and hated by anyone left of John Kasich; I've been fighting that battle for a while now.

You said it yourself: it's a choice with a consequence.  If you believe, as I do, that as often as not the consequences are way out of whack with the underlying choice, it's not really a choice then.  A "choice" is opting to put up with the blip of bad publicity for reserving $1M for the lawsuit rather than spending $500M to fix the gas tank.  Or unilaterally dedicating some percentage of your factory space to electric cars over gas-powered cars.  Or opting to record that Diane Warren song instead of your bass players song; sacrificing a percentage of your hard core fans for the millions who will buy the single.  Those are choices. 

Your definition of "choice" seems rather arbitrary.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2020, 04:33:42 PM »
Id be willing to bet that it was torn down by those rioting, not by those trying to make a difference with racism.  But I think you already know that, and posted it just for effect anyway.

Edit: and Chris, Iím not intending this to be a personal attack on you, so my apologies if it seems that way.  But the post feels like a drive-by zinger.

Eric, it was a drive-by post, so I will take the criticism. It was just a point to try and show how insane this has gotten.

Your post was a kind of response that only makes things more insane.  And it is good of you to take the criticism.

But I understand your frustration.  Difficult times for sure.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2020, 09:02:32 PM »
Unfortunately Eric we see this from both sides with no real conversation,  hard to swallow, uncomfortable conversation to make relations better.
ďI don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.Ē - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2020, 12:00:10 AM »
I've been an avid fan of TCM for years, they show GWTW twice a year on average and they always have one of the hosts -usually Ben Mankiewicz- explain the cultural settings and such, usually very eloquently. Now I understand GWTW went on HBO MAX as part of their limited TCM collection, so I would have guessed they'd quickly attach one of these intros to the beginning of the movie, swiftly, without the fuss.
Anyone who'd get upset at GWTW is best advice to stay clear of TCM or classic movies anyway, I've seen some stuff from the 20's and 30's that'd make GWTW look tame :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
I still remember when companies used to go on the offensive with stuff like this. I distinctly remember that TCM once showed Birth of a Nation during Black history month and and proceeded it with a documentary interviewing black actors about The racial issues with the film and yet still addressing the cultural importance of keeping the film intact.

Iím only guessing, but Iím thinking that in todayís PR climate, that same move would be viewed as being in bad taste.

I always wondered to myself if Disney might be able to get away with doing something similar with Song of the South. Even though there are issues with the live action sequences portraying an idyllic version of house slavery, the Brer Rabbit stories themselves were written by black slaves. It seems to me that if they released the film during Black history month and interviewed black actors and maybe even made a documentary talking about the history of the Brer Rabbit stories and where they came from. All the while, teaching people that the live action portions of the film were not an accurate portrayal of slavery.

On paper, I feel like it would be a win-win for everybody involved. But then again, I donít really view myself as being in the know. Maybe itís not as good an idea as I envision it to be.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2020, 02:25:32 PM »
I'd say the big difference is that GWTW is generally considered one of the best and more important films in history, while Song of South is not.

Almost every film fan has seen GWTW and it is (or was) very readily available. Song of the South is basically impossible to find and not many people around have seen it. So I doubt it would accomplish much at all.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:37:25 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2020, 02:35:40 PM »
I'd say the big difference is that GTWT is generally considered one of the best and more important films in history, while Song of South is not.

Gone the wind then?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Adami

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2020, 02:37:08 PM »
I'd say the big difference is that GTWT is generally considered one of the best and more important films in history, while Song of South is not.

Gone the wind then?

GOD DAMMIT I HATE YOU!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2020, 02:51:51 PM »
Not too many people these days have seen Birth of a Nation either (I still havenít) but people do sure make a big deal out of that film.

And Iím not really trying to say that the Disney film carries the cultural impact of one of the earliest epic films ever made, but the only reason it doesnít have more cultural impact is because it hasnít been shown in the US in a generation. There are things to be learned from that film and Disney does still make money off the music.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »
Not too many people these days have seen Birth of a Nation either (I still havenít) but people do sure make a big deal out of that film.

And Iím not really trying to say that the Disney film carries the cultural impact of one of the earliest epic films ever made, but the only reason it doesnít have more cultural impact is because it hasnít been shown in the US in a generation. There are things to be learned from that film and Disney does still make money off the music.

I mean, Birth of a Nation is a totally different beast. Not sure it should be included in this same set of criteria.

And I highly doubt the ONLY reason Song of the South isn't as impactful as GWTW is because it's been suppressed for a generation. In the end, it has mythical status because of it's known racist elements, not because it was ever an important or popular film. It's like comparing The Room with Cassablanca.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2020, 04:03:07 PM »
GOD DAMMIT I HATE YOU!

Sorry. #notactuallythatsorry

Offline kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2020, 08:44:42 PM »

Gone the wind then?

:lol

Hey, we all need to laugh these days.
ďI don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.Ē - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Inglourious Basstard
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2020, 08:43:02 PM »
My wife was going through pictures of her class this year and when we got to the Thanksgiving pictures, we mused how many more years that has left.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2020, 06:31:19 AM »
My wife was going through pictures of her class this year and when we got to the Thanksgiving pictures, we mused how many more years that has left.

I haven't thought this one through yet, but it is a good question.  Should we celebrate Thanksgiving (in that way) anymore?  We (my family)  celebrate Thanksgiving day as a generic day of thanks....our celebration has literally nothing to do with the Pilgrims/Indians.  That is a pretty horrible chapter in our country's history (what we did to the Native Americans) 

Should we celebrate that?  I think that if an alien visited us (from an enlightened society), they would likely think it is pretty awful.  I would like to think that if we, as a society, could look at it without all our baggage, emotion, pride, etc. we would think it is pretty awful too.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2020, 06:42:29 AM »
I was unaware that anyone outside of an elementary school classroom celebrates Thanksgiving with any reference at all to pilgrims and indians. I'm pretty sure nearly everyone uses it as a generic day of thanks, if even that. For most it's just a day to eat food, watch football, and plan Christmas shopping.

Offline kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2020, 07:12:15 AM »
I've always looked at it as being with my family.  Life sometimes it's hard to get all together.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2020, 10:08:41 AM »
I donít think I know anyone who references pilgrims and Native Americans for Thanksgiving. Itís a day for eating and family and is just a checkpoint for Christmas in my eyes.

Does anyone think theyíre gonna go after Christmas? There seems to be a lot of anti-capitalism as part of these protests.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2020, 10:21:56 AM »
I donít think I know anyone who references pilgrims and Native Americans for Thanksgiving. Itís a day for eating and family and is just a checkpoint for Christmas in my eyes.

Does anyone think theyíre gonna go after Christmas? There seems to be a lot of anti-capitalism as part of these protests.

I hate that Black Friday now has expanded to Thanksgiving eve.  Because of the demand, Wal Mart had the DC work for the first time as mandatory and as a contracted company I have to work to support our customer, Wal Mart.  I despise it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »
Not all those are the same, though.

James Woods is a two-time Academy Award nominee that has only a handfull of award nominations in the past 20 years.
The Cathy family was "forced" to choose between their fundamental religious beliefs and their business.
Nugent is Nugent.
The NFL's move was a monkey fucking a, well, football; they didn't make a choice as much as bumble into a quagmire.
Fox is mocked and hated by anyone left of John Kasich; I've been fighting that battle for a while now.

You said it yourself: it's a choice with a consequence.  If you believe, as I do, that as often as not the consequences are way out of whack with the underlying choice, it's not really a choice then.  A "choice" is opting to put up with the blip of bad publicity for reserving $1M for the lawsuit rather than spending $500M to fix the gas tank.  Or unilaterally dedicating some percentage of your factory space to electric cars over gas-powered cars.  Or opting to record that Diane Warren song instead of your bass players song; sacrificing a percentage of your hard core fans for the millions who will buy the single.  Those are choices. 

Your definition of "choice" seems rather arbitrary.

How so?   A real choice is one where there is a similar liklihood of selection either way, without it being a social issue, a statement, or enduring undue pain inconsistent with the magnitude of the choice.   

If I go on a date on Monday with Barbara Brunette, attractive, fit, not that bright, and on Tuesday with Rhonda Redhead, not that attractive, but a personality off the charts, not into fitness, but smart as a whip, and on Wednesday I data Becky Blonde, cute not hot, fun, and smart enough to hold a conversation but no Rhodes scholar, and all want a followup date, that's a choice.   Sure there might be consequences to not picking one or the other, but it's manageable and reasonable.  It happens every single day.

Forcing someone to choose their job, their livelihood, in some cases their friends and family, in exchange for their THOUGHTS and IDEAS is not a true choice.  The notion of someone's belief system - someone's SELF, in many ways - ought to be off limits for that kind of leverage, when the consequence is so fundamental as "place in society".  (And I haven't even gotten to the "us versus them" component; talk about "arbitrary".)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 06:53:31 AM by Stadler »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »

I haven't thought this one through yet, but it is a good question.  Should we celebrate Thanksgiving (in that way) anymore?  We (my family)  celebrate Thanksgiving day as a generic day of thanks....our celebration has literally nothing to do with the Pilgrims/Indians.  That is a pretty horrible chapter in our country's history (what we did to the Native Americans) 

Should we celebrate that?  I think that if an alien visited us (from an enlightened society), they would likely think it is pretty awful.  I would like to think that if we, as a society, could look at it without all our baggage, emotion, pride, etc. we would think it is pretty awful too.

I don't know how many of you know this...

The US Constitution is "influenced" by The Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Great Law of Peace. And was only recognized in 1988. Also, they left parts out that are vital to the Law, including women and the 7 generation view of the world.

https://mollylarkin.com/u-s-constitution-great-law-peace/

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »
Like others have told us about other things, the definition of words change over time.  Thanksgiving nowadays is not about celebrating the pilgrims or celebrating the killing of Native Americans; it's a family holiday to get together and relax.  Same with Christmas, but with presents thrown into the mix.  Hell, I know atheists who still celebrate Christmas, and Easter for that matter, so I would hope most people would have the sense to not want to shit all over what are basically family holidays, especially ones where many of us get paid days off from work. :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »

I don't get why people celebrate a day of thanks, only to completely toss it out into the void.

It's become a part of Christmas. Which has become a business festival of greed and giving thanks to the corporations for their bountiful gifts they make us buy. All in the disguise of a Fat Old Man in a red suit that we let our children sit on.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Inglourious Basstard
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2020, 09:03:22 PM »
I donít think I know anyone who references pilgrims and Native Americans for Thanksgiving.

Getting back to my original thought, her students made "Turkey Hats," which, while not referencing pilgrims and Native Americans, is clearly an acknowledgement of the day. Since they cannot acknowledge Halloween or Christmas, I figure recognizing Thanksgiving has one foot in the grave.

We talked more about the social media climate today. She is basically a facebook lurker, and mostly posts pictures of our kids. She has been on more lately because she wanted to follow different discussions to get a better understanding of the various viewpoints out there, but is now recognizing how ugly it really is, as there is no discussion being had. I told her in clear terms to not post anything on facebook about anything other that pictures of our kids. As a public employee, she has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by involving herself in any "discussion."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2020, 12:16:49 AM »
So I wonder if the South park episode "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson" will eve get aired again. I remember it showing up on comedy central regularly up until all this protesting erupted. It was so over the top and I wonder how they got away with it all this time. I will he shocked if that ever sees the light of day again.
South park seems like it's the only show that can get away with anything without backlash..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2020, 05:46:56 AM »
So I wonder if the South park episode "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson" will eve get aired again. I remember it showing up on comedy central regularly up until all this protesting erupted. It was so over the top and I wonder how they got away with it all this time. I will he shocked if that ever sees the light of day again.
South park seems like it's the only show that can get away with anything without backlash..

What season is that from? I stopped watching regularly around season 21 or so, and I'm drawing a blank on that one.

South Park is in a unique position. It's almost fascinating. By tearing apart and making fun of every fascist of human society at one point or another, they've somehow demonstrated that they're not at all ill-willed. I don't think it's just an illusion either. I don't think Matt or Trey have an evil bone in their bodies (You can argue Chef's death was borderline). Do they have the ability to take the mind to dark places, sure, but they're not mean or hateful. They're usually pretty fair when it comes to raking someone over the coals. Their material doesn't seem to come from a place of hatred, but rather a need to bring to light the bullshit in life via comedy.   

Thinking about it, they've actually structured the characters pretty brilliantly to counter or cancel out the stuff that pushes the envelope. Wrongs in the show always seem to get made right. Thinking along the lines of Faith +1 episode where Cartman is racist toward token, plagiarizes all the material, and exploits Christians to take their money. But in the end, he's publicly humiliated, get's the shit kicked out of him, and then is told off by Butters. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2020, 05:51:21 AM »

What season is that from? I stopped watching regularly around season 21 or so, and I'm drawing a blank on that one.

South Park is in a unique position. It's almost fascinating. By tearing apart and making fun of every fascist of human society at one point or another, they've somehow demonstrated that they're not at all ill-willed. I don't think it's just an illusion either. I don't think Matt or Trey have an evil bone in their bodies (You can argue Chef's death was borderline). Do they have the ability to take the mind to dark places, sure, but they're not mean or hateful. They're usually pretty fair when it comes to raking someone over the coals. Their material doesn't seem to come from a place of hatred, but rather a need to bring to light the bullshit in life via comedy.   

Thinking about it, they've actually structured the characters pretty brilliantly to counter or cancel out the stuff that pushes the envelope. Wrongs in the show always seem to get made right. Thinking along the lines of Faith +1 episode where Cartman is racist toward token, plagiarizes all the material, and exploits Christians to take their money. But in the end, he's publicly humiliated, get's the shit kicked out of him, and then is told off by Butters.

With all due respect to their talents and achievement,  I think some of their stories come off as "caring about things is ridiculous" with manbearpig being one of the more egregious in that regard.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2020, 05:56:11 AM »

What season is that from?
I'm pretty sure it's from season 11.  Randy Marsh goes on Wheel of Fortune.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2020, 05:58:02 AM »

What season is that from?
I'm pretty sure it's from season 11.  Randy Marsh goes on Wheel of Fortune.

OH THAT ONE! That's a classic. I remember watching that one as it was airing with my black roommate and like six of his friends. I remember one of them saying "It's alright to laugh Bri"  :lol I think that one will still get airtime.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2020, 06:00:59 AM »

With all due respect to their talents and achievement,  I think some of their stories come off as "caring about things is ridiculous" with manbearpig being one of the more egregious in that regard.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. In regards to Manbearpig (it's been a while since I've seen that one), I don't remember them making fun of climate change or people caring about it in any capacity. That episode was directed at Al Gore as a person, not the cause, wasn't it?

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2020, 06:08:10 AM »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. In regards to Manbearpig (it's been a while since I've seen that one), I don't remember them making fun of climate change or people caring about it in any capacity. That episode was directed at Al Gore as a person, not the cause, wasn't it?

I think in that moment that was a distinction without a difference.  Only my humble opinion of couse, I don't want to harsh anyone's buzz on the show but I know that for me their centrist/libertarian take on certain things was a turn off after a while. So my favorite South Park thing remains the Bigger, Longer, Uncut movie, I think the whoie concept peaked there.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2020, 06:14:30 AM »

I think in that moment that was a distinction without a difference.  Only my humble opinion of couse, I don't want to harsh anyone's buzz on the show but I know that for me their centrist/libertarian take on certain things was a turn off after a while. So my favorite South Park thing remains the Bigger, Longer, Uncut movie, I think the whoie concept peaked there.

I'd agree with this. I watched it on Saturday actually. I noticed it was free on Pluto TV. That movie has all the best elements that make up the genius of South Park in one package. And it wasn't rooted in anything in particular, unlike the episodes today that all seem to have to address something and make it the focal point of the whole 21 minutes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »

I am not a South Park guy, so bear with me, but this is an important point: why does a "position" matter on anything other than an individual level?  For many, left/liberal positions are a "turn off", and for others right/conservative are.   It shouldn't matter, beyond the individual, what that is.  Take it or leave it.   I know for me, the way certain shows (Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist comes to mind immediately) just "assume" that the left/liberal take is the morally, spiritually, and social correct position without debate is exhausting, but it is what it is.  I like Peter Gallagher, so I watch. 

For me, making fun of Al Gore or the cause is an immaterial point. They should be able to do either if they feel they have a point to be made.  I don't know why that distinction is relevant; to me it doesn't even go to the things we're talking about here (intent, for lack of a better word). 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2020, 09:51:10 AM »
edit:  Adami said it without the unneccesary attitude in my original post.  apologies, carry on.

Offline Adami

« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2020, 09:51:46 AM »

I am not a South Park guy, so manbearpig with me, but this is an important point: why does a "position" matter on anything other than an individual level?  For many, left/liberal positions are a "turn off", and for others right/conservative are.   It shouldn't matter, beyond the individual, what that is.  Take it or leave it.   I know for me, the way certain shows (Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist comes to mind immediately) just "assume" that the left/liberal take is the morally, spiritually, and social correct position without debate is exhausting, but it is what it is.  I like Peter Gallagher, so I watch. 

For me, making fun of Al Gore or the cause is an immaterial point. They should be able to do either if they feel they have a point to be made.  I don't know why that distinction is relevant; to me it doesn't even go to the things we're talking about here (intent, for lack of a better word).

Totally. But wasn't Xe just saying what turns him off rather than saying they shouldn't be able to do it? As far as I know, he's just choosing not to watch because it's not his thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com