Author Topic: KotowBoy Has A New DrumSet ( kinda ) ...  (Read 4085 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
KotowBoy Has A New DrumSet ( kinda ) ...
« on: June 08, 2020, 05:45:38 PM »

Ok so for some reason I sold my Mapex 6 piece in 2014 ( complete with cymbals - some of which were SABIAN and Zildjian ). I think I thought they were too much hassle or I wanted the money.

Anyway. I really REALLY missed drumming and so - last year I bought an electronic kit. A TourTech TT22M. It was £460 and came with drumstool and sticks and Roland headphones.

Mesh heads. Great feel. Proper Bass drum pad. Really great value for money. Later I added a double kick pedal - a real Tama Metalworks Snare drum ( with mesh head for 80% reduced volume )

and also a Zildjian L80 China cymbal ( drilled with holes also for 80% reduced volume - as I live in a flat with people upstairs... Who say it sounds like someone is playing a few streets away )

Next I want to get a Hi hat stand and 3 more boom stands and finally get Zildjian L80 Low Volume Hi Hats, Two Crashes and a Ride :-)

PLUS

Since it's USB - It means I can use the electronic side of it to 'drive' my ToonTrack EZDrummer and actually 'record' real drums on my own songs.

So much fun !

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: KotowBoy Has A New DrumSet ( kinda ) ...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 05:47:13 PM »
Pics or it didn't...er, just post pics so we can see it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 05:47:25 PM »
Yeah i'm trying :-(

EDIT : Got it ?

https://open.spotify.com/track/0Bh8Ved4iJJueNWSD9BIyW?si=ic3SbZvhT6iyPa__dFLluA

Here is a song that i recorded using the electronic kit - but using EZDrummer as the sounds. :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 05:50:16 PM »
Oh, yeah, there we go!  That china looks interesting.  Nice set.  I sold my kit awhile back as well.  No time for it, and it was just taking up space.  I miss it.  But I missed it while I had it, since I never had time to play.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 05:53:44 PM »
There's so many low volume options these days. That's a full on Steel Tama Snare like Lars Ulrich uses and with the mesh head on it's SO quiet. But still feels like a proper snare - which is the

point. The china *IS* Kinda bright and toppy - you have to hit it quite hard to get all the oomph out of it - which is ok - It's still only 20% the volume of a real china...And I used to have a 20"

Avedis China and it was NOT quiet.  Also I play with headphones on and I generally want the FEEL of real snare and  cymbals without the noise. So it's perfect.

EDIT : Plus you can still have a full on acoustic kit in your house with mesh heads on and it would be as loud as playing a 'regular' kit with rods or something.

EDITT : I remember deciding after I watched a Sweetwater video where they played a kit with normal drum heads and cymbals and it immediately cut to

the very same kit with mesh heads and low volume cymbals. I laughed out loud because it was like i'd accidentally pressed MUTE on the video  ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 06:05:34 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 07:30:44 PM »
Do you play drums on your albums?

Also I second what bosk1 said about the china.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 04:46:32 AM »
I only play drums on the new one since I just got the kit last Christmas.

:tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 11:32:30 PM »
Awesome dude!

I use L80 cymbals for my acoustic kit in my apartment. I love that you can hit ém as usually and get lower volume but still get a cymbal sound, kinda of a weird feeling.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 02:07:03 AM »
Oh hey, welcome back man!  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »
Diolch ! :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 03:01:37 PM »
Awesome dude!

I use L80 cymbals for my acoustic kit in my apartment. I love that you can hit ém as usually and get lower volume but still get a cymbal sound, kinda of a weird feeling.

I basically want the FEEL of cymbals without the volume. Which is why ive also got a mesh head on my Tama Snare. The reduction in volume is insane.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »
... So I was playing today and I realised - since you can assign any of the pads to any sound - and i'm currently using my Tama Snare instead of my Snare pad -

I thought - why not use my 14" pad as a floor tom and it will feel better than using the 8" pad as a 16" floor tom ?

So tomorrow I will do that - and just reassign it as a floor tom instead of a snare and use the floor tom pad as an aux snare or something on my left side.

:laugh:

EDIT : Just did it. I forgot that the jack plugs for each drum assigned what they are - so I din't have to do anything ! Simples !
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 06:53:01 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 11:32:54 AM »
If I had the time and could justify the cost, I would absolutely go for something like that.  But I don't think I would keep the cymbal pads either.  I would likely add a ride and 2 crashes, and just go with drilled ones to reduce sound like you did with your china.  I wonder--do the cymbal pads have decent splash patches?  I could see assigning them as splashes and using them for that.  But I HATE both the feel and lack of true decay of cymbal pads for crashes, and would miss that bounce and ping of a good ride as well (plus all the subtlety you can get from striking a decent ride in different areas, although I do realize that ride pads do try to emulate some of that by giving different sounds for the rim, interior, and bell of the pad).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 01:38:17 PM »
The cymbal edges are the low point. They are the bell instead of the bell of the pad. So Sometimes I go to hit a crash and it plays a bell sound.

If I replace them with Zildjian L80 Crashes and a Ride - I've no need to buy 2x Stands I suppose. But then I'll have to find a use for them later on.

On my kit - the Tourtech TT22M - you can assign the rims of the toms to anything so my first tom is a splash - my 2nd tom is a cymbal bell and my floor tom rim is a ride.

However - i'm using the kit to power ToonTrack EZdrummer and that is all recorded and mixed real drum sounds - which sounds great in headphones.

TourTech are supposed to be releasing a third cymbal and a 4th tom for it at some point and the Module has ports for it already. But now I dunno If I need them....

------

Eventually I do want a 14" Tama Floor Tom with a Mesh Head on like the snare but for some reason my snare was only £110 for a Tama Steel Snare but floor toms are stupid money?!

Ah well. One thing at a time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 04:10:42 PM »
Also - I checked with the company - and yes - I can replace the stock mesh heads with literally any brand mesh head.

So what I might do eventually is replace all the TourTech black mesh heads with really nice REMO ™ Pinstripe mesh Heads - which they actually make now -

- to give the kit a really fancy look !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 03:19:41 PM »
UPDATE !!!

Plus Dad has got me a set of Zildjian L80 Low Volume Hi-Hats for xmas - which will match the ride and china. :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 05:01:15 PM »
That's awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 06:40:47 PM »
I’d hit that!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 10:07:05 PM »

Since it's USB - It means I can use the electronic side of it to 'drive' my ToonTrack EZDrummer and actually 'record' real drums on my own songs.

So much fun !

How does this work? That intrigues me into getting an Electric Drumkit if itcan do this.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 02:05:27 AM »
It's basically just MIDI information.

You send the info to a PC or whatever with a Drum Software installed and when you hit the electronic 'snare' - it records/plays a sample of a studio recorded snare drum

on the software. So in your headphones it sounds like you're playing a real live drumkit in the studio.

I use Toontrack EZDrummer. If I had the money i'd get a a brand new iMac with Superior Drummer 3 as it's obviously way more in depth.

EZDrummer only has the one 5 piece kit and you can't change much. Superior Drummer has 100s of different kits to mix and match.

That's awesome!

Quote from: Adami
I’d hit that!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 02:10:32 AM »
Eventually I'd like a real floor tom - but with a silent mesh head on it.

I actually have a second bass drum pad with a single pedal which doesn't work ( they said I could keep it instead of sending it back )...

So one day I can actually have the acoustic elements and the electronic elements separate.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 07:27:34 AM »
Nice. Ive always toyed with the idea of purchasing a set of vDrums, though I could never rationalize the expense to myself considering the massive acoustic kit I have. I'd even love, in the future, to go the Neil Peart route and integrate some electronic pads into my overall kit. But....that is for another time and future ambitions.

I hope you enjoy the hell out of them.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 08:42:22 AM »
It's basically just MIDI information.

You send the info to a PC or whatever with a Drum Software installed and when you hit the electronic 'snare' - it records/plays a sample of a studio recorded snare drum

on the software. So in your headphones it sounds like you're playing a real live drumkit in the studio.

I use Toontrack EZDrummer. If I had the money i'd get a a brand new iMac with Superior Drummer 3 as it's obviously way more in depth.

EZDrummer only has the one 5 piece kit and you can't change much. Superior Drummer has 100s of different kits to mix and match.

That's awesome!

Quote from: Adami
I’d hit that!

Oh Ok. It's connected with A USB. Same way my Keyboard connects to my Laptop.

That's awesome.

I also do have EZ Drummer and know that 5 piece kit. But I need more...😁
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 09:27:47 AM »
Nice. Ive always toyed with the idea of purchasing a set of vDrums, though I could never rationalize the expense to myself considering the massive acoustic kit I have. I'd even love, in the future, to go the Neil Peart route and integrate some electronic pads into my overall kit. But....that is for another time and future ambitions.

I hope you enjoy the hell out of them.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2020, 09:12:12 AM »

UPDATE !!! Couple more Low Volume cymbals. But the splash and 16" Crash are by WHD. Really cheap but actually not that bad. A little on the bright side but feel like

real cymbals and don't murder my ears. :tup

I asked Dad for some 14" Low Volume Zildjian Hats for Xmas - so i'm excited about getting those this Friday. Hope i've got them !

I think it'll make playing the kit easier with proper hi hat cymbals on a real hi hat stand. The e-hats are really good actually and you can get quite a few sounds out of them.

But holding down the pedal all the time for a closed hat sound is a bit tiring and sometimes you trigger an open hi hat sound anyway.

Once I get the Z hats on a stand - i'll move the e-hats in between the toms like Danny Carey as aux hats. :-)

Next year I also eventually want to get Zildjian 16" and 18" L80 cymbals. They're much warmer than the silver ones.

LONG TERM I also want a real rack and floor tom - but with mesh heads on for real tom feel but 80% volume.

:)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
Do you use the drum pad to the left as a piccolo snare, auxiliary percussion like a cowbell, or something else entirely?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 02:57:38 AM »
Side snare, yep !  :laugh:

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 11:19:33 AM »
Side snare, yep !  :laugh:

Nice! My acoustic set at work has two snares, and it’s so much fun coming up with parts that have them play off of each other.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
Therapy? have a drummer which use piccolo snares constantly.

https://open.spotify.com/track/19l8EVT6yOalWKqRL3h5jP?si=COKND22dT2yIx9koPQmFCA

This is a good example of his style.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2020, 03:49:36 PM »
I was really sad earlier cause presents were all done and I didn't get the cymbals I asked for 🙁

As Dad was driving me home - he goes " oh wait I forgot to give you the cymbals 😄 "

And we drove back to dads to get them 🙂. I just assumed I wasn't getting them...

They are the Zildjian 14" L80 Hi Hats...

IMGUR is not working as I type this so a pic will have to wait... But look at the last pic and I now have 14" L80 hi hats...

The rubber hi hat pad is between the toms Danny Carey style and the 10" splash is now upside down on the 16" silver crash as i'm out of stands now

and I don't want it upside down on the ride as I still want to use the ride bell.

:) :)

EDIT :

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 03:18:10 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 11:43:47 AM »
As an experiment when I have some £ - I want to buy a Remo Pinstripe Clear 8" Skin to put on the rack "tom" pad to see how it feels / reacts with the trigger compared to

a mesh head. I know some electric drums are literally plastic or rubber so in theory it should still react the same - but if it "feels" more like a tom with a

clear REMO skin on - then cool !

If not - what I may do is replace all the factory mesh heads with WHITE REMO Mesh Heads - I think that would look classy :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 04:19:12 PM »
UPDATE !!

I sold 5 of my albums on BandCamp so did indeed buy a new Practice Pad, Some Sticks and an 8" Coated REMO Pinstripe skin to see how it reacts on the 8" rack tom pad.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2021, 10:32:09 AM »

Does the picture show ?

Anyway - here's an update from today. I asked Dad for the Zildjian Low Volume 16" and 18" Crashes for Christmas and he says he will get them for me

as I paid him back for my new Bike Engine and Exhaust and all the money he helped me out with last year.

Can't wait.

This is my new project. But next thing I want to do is buy a stand alone floor and rack tom - and put REMO mesh heads on both so *EVENTUALLY*

I will have an electric kit AND an all - low volume acoustic kit. :)

Since half my kit is electric - currently the trick is getting the song you're listening to and the drum sounds to be a good volume so that the acoustic and electric elements all mix

nicely. I usually have one earphone slightly off which helps. :p

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2021, 10:38:51 AM »
I never knew of low volume cymbals!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2021, 02:11:33 PM »
They are awesome ! The hi hats are SO quiet. They are called L80s because they are 80% quieter than regular cymbals.

Same with the REMO Silent Stroke Drumheads. The noise reduction is insane but you still feel like you're playing all regular drums / cymbals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlDX6buKfu0&list=WL&index=2

Watch this for a comparison. It's CRAZY :lol