Author Topic: Wedding gift question  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Wedding gift question
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 01:12:57 PM »
Good to see I didn't miss anything. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 01:49:59 PM »
Good to see I didn't miss anything. :)

And like I said, so over the top and so much money but that doesn't make the wedding IMO.  Hell, their live band was AWESOME and no one was dancing.  I've never even seen that before when people don't go wild for a live wedding band.  Which leads me to think, for myself if I ever get married, the ONLY thing I really would potentially spend a lot of money on is a live band, and an open bar.  :yarr

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2020, 03:53:29 PM »
Yeah, I've been to a couple of 50K+ weddings

My wife and I were talking this morning.....reflecting on our life/marriage as we are celebrating 15 years married today......and she asked if I'd change anything at all over the 15 years. I said 'no' because I love where we're at in life right now.....but I did add a small tidbit and said I wish we wouldn't have spent so much on the wedding.

Her Dad had $35k set aside for her wedding when the time came. He told us both at the time we could spend it all or spend some and keep the difference. We got carried away with it I think and spent the whole amount. But honestly, he was just as in to spending it all as we were.....it was like a badge of honor or something for him. I just stepped back and pretty much let her detail her big day and agreed a lot. But in retrospect....we both think we should have spent like $10k maybe and pocketed the rest.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2020, 03:56:49 PM »
I got married the first time at a hotel in New Orleans, with close family and friends.   I got married the second time in a gazebo in Florida with our parents, siblings and kids present.   I wouldn't change a thing (other than the wives).   

EDIT:  I kid, I kid.  I wouldn't change a thing.  Seriously.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 04:08:36 PM by Stadler »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2020, 03:59:14 PM »
My college roommate's wifes parents spent about $60k on their wedding and he hated the idea of that so much.  He wish he had an option to just get some of that money instead.  He said it made him sick in stomach all the way up and through the actual wedding.  Like he felt pressure and all that, plus knowing the money would be much more useful, but it's his wife's parents, what can he really do other than go along with it?

Also, congrats on the anniversary Gary  :yarr

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »
but it's his wife's parents, what can he really do other than go along with it?

This is kind of how I felt. Her dad told me early on my job was to support her in the choices she was making and make sure that the wedding was memorable for her. Then, once we started planning it he was just as giddy as she was. A prime example was the place we had the reception, the Sheridan in downtown St. Louis. Very beautiful....very nice......when we walked in my wife was floored by it and LOVED the venue. But, we soon found out how much it was and it was like "well, never mind". But then...her dad saw how much she loved it and pretty much made it a point that don't worry about the $$$....if that was her favorite spot out of them all then she was getting it.

Like I said, I think that paying for and providing an expensive wedding for his daughter(s) was some sort of 'notch' in his belt or bragging right to his business partners?? It seemed like he encouraged us to spend his $$$

Also, congrats on the anniversary Gary 

Thanks  :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2020, 06:52:53 AM »
We spent about $15k on our wedding (though not much out of our own pockets). It was nothing too I fancy, but I often look back and think it was way over the top. It was a great day, but I would have had a better time if we had chosen the 50 most important people to us and just done it outside somewhere low key.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2020, 04:10:36 PM »
When I got married the first time, I had a full blown wedding. I didn't really pay any attention to the details.

When I married The Lovely Mrs TAC, we went to Bermuda and got married on a cliff with just the official, and the photographer who sign as the witness.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2020, 04:56:58 PM »
You didn't need two witnesses?

To this day I am happy that our wedding came in under budget, and that other than the DJ (who was a bit of a douchebag) me at my wife and I would not have changed a thing. I had the advantage of having worked in the industry for years, so I had advanced knowledge of how to plan the budget, maximize our expenditures, and understand what was, and more importantly, what wasn't important for our special day.

Thinking back on it now, it is an interesting snapshot of our social circles and friendships at the time. I bet 75% of the friends we invited I have not talked to in over 5 years, and are no longer part of our friendship sphere.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »
You didn't need two witnesses?

Yes, actually it was the photog and his wife. They actually ran the business that coordinated the whole thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol