Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52371 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #455 on: June 10, 2021, 12:01:59 PM »
From JP's Facebook:
"JPGU 3.0 is ON! It's at the Anaheim Marriott from July 27 - 31 and we have an incredible lineup of guest instructors. I'm pleased to announce that Dave LaRue and Mike Mangini will be joining me to play some songs from my new solo album Terminal Velocity - it's going to be a blast, if you have not signed up yet, don't miss your chance! johnpetruccisguitaruniverse.com #JPGU"
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #456 on: June 10, 2021, 12:48:10 PM »
Interesting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #457 on: June 10, 2021, 02:05:49 PM »
From JP's Facebook:
"JPGU 3.0 is ON! It's at the Anaheim Marriott from July 27 - 31 and we have an incredible lineup of guest instructors. I'm pleased to announce that Dave LaRue and Mike Mangini will be joining me to play some songs from my new solo album Terminal Velocity - it's going to be a blast, if you have not signed up yet, don't miss your chance! johnpetruccisguitaruniverse.com #JPGU"

MM should've done the record imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #458 on: June 10, 2021, 02:18:27 PM »
From JP's Facebook:

absolutely.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TM172003

« Reply #459 on: June 10, 2021, 02:34:24 PM »
Why?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #460 on: June 10, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
From JP's Facebook:

No.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #461 on: June 10, 2021, 05:31:43 PM »
Why?

Why not? MM had already been JP's solo drummer for a while and also played a couple of those tracks live with him and Dave.

I also prefer MM to MP, both in playing and personality, so there's that too :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #462 on: June 10, 2021, 06:21:46 PM »
In fact, I think that MP should do this show, since now he seems to be the drummer on JP solo albums from now on. Just my speculation, since MP isn`t in DT anymore. I think this would be a cool excuse for them to work together.
Or maybe MM is already the drummer for the entire JPGU 3.0 event and it will make more sense because of the logistics.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #463 on: June 11, 2021, 04:38:21 PM »
Could be MP is too busy with his own projects with Neal Morse and others.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #464 on: June 11, 2021, 10:48:45 PM »
Is Mike Mangini replacing Mike Portnoy who replaced Mike Mangini who replaced Mike Portnoy who replaced Dave DiCenso?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline devieira73

« Reply #465 on: June 12, 2021, 07:39:00 AM »
You are almost right! But it's more like:
Is Mike Mangini replacing Mike Portnoy who replaced Mike Mangini who replaced Mike Portnoy who replaced Dave DiCenso who replaced Mike Portnoy  ;D, because I believe that JP toured with MP before recording the first album.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #466 on: June 12, 2021, 10:50:55 AM »
You are almost right! But it's more like:
Is Mike Mangini replacing Mike Portnoy who replaced Mike Mangini who replaced Mike Portnoy who replaced Dave DiCenso who replaced Mike Portnoy  ;D, because I believe that JP toured with MP before recording the first album.

The drama goes even deeper than I knew!!!
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #467 on: June 12, 2021, 01:07:24 PM »
Could be MP is too busy with his own projects with Neal Morse and others.

Well, I am sure if Portnoy was offered the spot first, he will tell the world, since he won't pass up an opportunity to stick a thumb in Mangini's eye ("JP wanted me first! Na na!!"). :P :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #468 on: June 12, 2021, 01:27:18 PM »
I think this is much ado about nothing.  Mangine is/was a teacher for many years.  This is in his wheelhouse.  I don't get the sense that Portnoy has that urge in him.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #469 on: June 12, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »
Interesting that now some fans will be able to complain about Mangini also OUTSIDE DT. Always good to expand horizons.  :lol :lol

Good luck Mike.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #470 on: June 12, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »
Interesting that now some fans will be able to complain about Mangini also OUTSIDE DT. Always good to expand horizons.  :lol :lol

Good luck Mike.

More fodder for the dumbest part of Youtube
Over and over again

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #471 on: June 23, 2021, 02:47:02 AM »
I listened to TV today in full (it has been a while since my last listen).
OMG what an album!
Five stars * * * * *

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #472 on: June 23, 2021, 07:52:13 AM »
ToC came up on my random play. That song is absolutely awesome and I am excited to think that DT15 may have something like it!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #473 on: June 27, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »
Snake in My Boot still feels like the major sleeper from this.  I think it's a top 3 tune from the record, and I love the homage to EVH in his playing in the first part.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #474 on: July 03, 2021, 02:19:31 PM »
When (and if) an official tour supporting this solo album happens, I will lobby for JP to bring on a rhythm guitarist.  The more I listen to Terminal Velocity, the more I think that a live performance would benefit from a second guitar recreating the orchestrated backdrop.

To this end, I nominate DT89 as the perfect candidate for the job.  After all, he has the chops and already knows the songs! 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #475 on: July 03, 2021, 03:35:45 PM »
When (and if) an official tour supporting this solo album happens, I will lobby for JP to bring on a rhythm guitarist.  The more I listen to Terminal Velocity, the more I think that a live performance would benefit from a second guitar recreating the orchestrated backdrop.

To this end, I nominate DT89 as the perfect candidate for the job.  After all, he has the chops and already knows the songs!

Although I'd rather have Stream of Consciousness. They could also throw in more instrumentals in the set to give JLB breaks so the shows and songs won't be too much of a strain on his vocals. And they could throw in a Terminal Velocity song, and have JR add some embellishments of his own. 

Mangini is playing drums with him live, and Myung has learned and arranged Tony Levin's Chapman Stick parts of LTE songs for the bass. A Terminal Velocity song wouldn't be hard at all. It would be interesting to hear JRs involvement if they were to cover a song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #476 on: July 31, 2021, 07:50:25 PM »
Album is fantastic! Play it at least 3 times a week. The magic of JP w MP is undeniable imo. :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #477 on: August 04, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »
For those interested, this guy has uploaded videos of JP's band performing 5 different tracks live at JPGU last week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZUUoXu_tM9rDOIQeUu_NJg/videos

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #478 on: August 04, 2021, 02:22:59 PM »
For those interested, this guy has uploaded videos of JP's band performing 5 different tracks live at JPGU last week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZUUoXu_tM9rDOIQeUu_NJg/videos
This is great!  I like it even more for the fact that JP is human and makes mistakes live. You can tell all three of the band members were a bit nervous especially during Terminal Velocity.  You know what, that is totally ok and I can relate.  I've made tons of clumsy mistakes live due to nerves.
It also comes down to the setting you are playing. That particular setting where they are playing looks a bit out of their element making them feel vulnerable.  I love it!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #479 on: August 04, 2021, 03:22:57 PM »
This is great!  I like it even more for the fact that JP is human and makes mistakes live. You can tell all three of the band members were a bit nervous especially during Terminal Velocity.  You know what, that is totally ok and I can relate.  I've made tons of clumsy mistakes live due to nerves.
It also comes down to the setting you are playing. That particular setting where they are playing looks a bit out of their element making them feel vulnerable.  I love it!   :metal

That could also be due to the audience they're performing for. They're all guitarists/musicians whom will be watching their every finger playing that note, and will be analyzing the playing as it's happening.

That's a lot of nerves to have when playing 😂
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #480 on: August 04, 2021, 03:38:40 PM »

That could also be due to the audience they're performing for. They're all guitarists/musicians whom will be watching their every finger playing that note, and will be analyzing the playing as it's happening.

O gosh yeah!  I remember playing a outdoor gig at a very nice local amphitheater.  I was playing good and smooth for the first hour or so. Then a local guitar player showed up who has better skills than me btw, stood in front of me and watched closely.  He got into my psyche and I started screwing up left and right turning the rest of the evening into a disaster.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #481 on: August 04, 2021, 03:49:11 PM »

O gosh yeah!  I remember playing a outdoor gig at a very nice local amphitheater.  I was playing good and smooth for the first hour or so. Then a local guitar player showed up who has better skills than me btw, stood in front of me and watched closely.  He got into my psyche and I started screwing up left and right turning the rest of the evening into a disaster.  :lol

That's the "how many guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb" joke.   Answer:  Five; one to screw it in and four to stand there with their arms crossed saying "I can do that."

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #482 on: August 04, 2021, 03:54:10 PM »

Could also be a case of not having/spending enough time to prepare/re-learn these songs. Especially for JP, as arranging such a conference takes a significant amount of time and energy. I do not think these mistakes will affect him though - JP will be dialed in when the touring starts as always.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #483 on: August 04, 2021, 03:59:17 PM »
They haven't played live in a while either, it's a completely different experience than just jamming along the tracks at home. Hopefully they're more warmed up for the upcoming DT tour.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #484 on: August 04, 2021, 09:55:07 PM »

Could also be a case of not having/spending enough time to prepare/re-learn these songs. Especially for JP, as arranging such a conference takes a significant amount of time and energy. I do not think these mistakes will affect him though - JP will be dialed in when the touring starts as always.

Oh yeah. It could totally be that. They didn't have much time to rehearse the songs together.

Happy Song is awesome though to get to hear live.