Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52347 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #420 on: December 29, 2020, 03:59:25 PM »
Anyone know if there will be (or have an update on) the Terminal Velocity Guitar Tab Book?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: January 13, 2021, 10:41:28 AM »
James Labrie talks about JP working with Mike again

“When some of us do our solo records, it's a separate matter from the band. Whoever John Petrucci wants to work with is up to him, just as whoever I work with on my solo album is up to me. John knows the kind of relationship that Mike and I have, he's aware of it, but at the same time it's up to him to choose who he wants to play with on his album. Everything is fine. Life is too short to anchor anything that can be considered negative "

“Let's put it this way: John and I talk, and I think it's great, that as long as he's happy with the result of his album and that it has met his expectations, that's all that matters. John Petrucci and I have been bandmates for thirty years, so we talk about who we are and we respect each other. At the end of the day, he knows he has my respect and I know I have his. I have to be very open about what he wants to do and decide what is best for him.

That was translated from here https://nacionprogresiva.wordpress.com/2021/01/13/james-labrie-john-sabe-el-tipo-de-relacion-que-tenemos-mike-y-yo-es-consciente-de-ello/

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #422 on: January 13, 2021, 11:13:38 AM »

“When some of us do our solo records, it's a separate matter from the band. Whoever John Petrucci wants to work with is up to him, just as whoever I work with on my solo album is up to me. John knows the kind of relationship that Mike and I have, he's aware of it, but at the same time it's up to him to choose who he wants to play with on his album. Everything is fine. Life is too short to anchor anything that can be considered negative "

“Let's put it this way: John and I talk, and I think it's great, that as long as he's happy with the result of his album and that it has met his expectations, that's all that matters. John Petrucci and I have been bandmates for thirty years, so we talk about who we are and we respect each other. At the end of the day, he knows he has my respect and I know I have his. I have to be very open about what he wants to do and decide what is best for him.

That was translated from here https://nacionprogresiva.wordpress.com/2021/01/13/james-labrie-john-sabe-el-tipo-de-relacion-que-tenemos-mike-y-yo-es-consciente-de-ello/

Where's the rest.... :lol

But why ask a question about MP, on JP's solo album, to JLB whom had nothing to do with JP's solo album.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #423 on: January 13, 2021, 11:53:11 AM »
Anyone know if there will be (or have an update on) the Terminal Velocity Guitar Tab Book?
Now that would be a challenge transcribing the tab for that, yet alone trying to get it accurate. If you have the skills to play at that level,  why not make a solo album of your own?  That's what I'm doing, but I am nowhere near the skill level of JP.   He just inspired me to do my own project and it's a lot of fun!   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #424 on: January 13, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »

That's kind of a fucked up answer though.   It seems very carefully worded, rather than organic.  Never once does he say that he and John are "friends", only that they are "bandmates", they "talk" and have each others "respect".  Not that they have to be close, but that's not a ringing bell of deep love and affection, if you're asking me.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #425 on: January 13, 2021, 12:31:13 PM »
Now that would be a challenge transcribing the tab for that, yet alone trying to get it accurate. If you have the skills to play at that level,  why not make a solo album of your own?  That's what I'm doing, but I am nowhere near the skill level of JP.   He just inspired me to do my own project and it's a lot of fun!   :coolio

A lot of people have the ability to play, but can't write even if their life depended on it. Others can write, but have such high standards that most things are not "good enough". Writing is a skill of its own. In terms of the Tab Book, I honestly doubt we will see an "official tab book", but DT89 tabbed out the album.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55053.msg2696384#msg2696384
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #426 on: January 13, 2021, 12:42:36 PM »

That's kind of a fucked up answer though.   It seems very carefully worded, rather than organic.  Never once does he say that he and John are "friends", only that they are "bandmates", they "talk" and have each others "respect".  Not that they have to be close, but that's not a ringing bell of deep love and affection, if you're asking me.

Yeah, I totally agree.  That almost comes across as a statement written by lawyers  :lol  - and the "bandmates" thing, it's like he intentionally avoided using the word "friend" in there.  Of course I'm probably reading more into it than is really there, but perhaps it's the translation that makes it come across like this?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: January 13, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »

I found that very odd too not calling each other friends.  Very guarded and strange answer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #428 on: January 13, 2021, 12:52:05 PM »

Damned if you do and damned if you don't, right.

All he is saying, is they talk about things. Things that they do not agree with at all, and things that they do agree with 100%. People change, and after being in a band for 30 years, its good they are still bandmates. There are not many bandmates whom can say that. He is open to what JP wants to do, and should let him do what JP wants to do, the same as JP lets JLB do what he wants to do, especially on ones own solo album.

JP likely let JLB know he was working with MP again, because as sad as it is, to let JLB be prepared for the fan reactions and all the MP is returning speculation bullshit that goes on, and I am sure the band is tired of hearing this shit. I mean, no offence to the interviewers, but why would you even ask a question like that, and by JLB's response it seems it irked him a bit.

Also, a reason why that was all that was given to us about the Magazine Interview. I would like to see the rest, but there is only that one snippet I can find.

If an interviewer were to ask about his and JP's friendships, or how his relationship is to the other band-members, are they best of friends that skip along a field of flowers holding hands, or are they just acquaintances whom are there to make the songs, record, and just tolerate enough of each other to make the album.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline PetFish

« Reply #429 on: January 13, 2021, 10:31:49 PM »
I'm really crushing on The Way Things Fall.

I also love Terminal Velocity and The Happy Song.

I think I much prefer any major-key stuff JP/DT do over the sad minor-key stuff.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2021, 05:44:04 AM »
James has always been classy and diplomatic with his answers to questions like this, though. Very rarely he gets emotional or way too personal.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: January 14, 2021, 06:29:04 AM »
James has always been classy and diplomatic with his answers to questions like this, though. Very rarely he gets emotional or way too personal.

Not to mention this was translated from English back into English.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #432 on: January 14, 2021, 06:58:45 AM »
"John knows the kind of relationship that Mike and I have, he's aware of it, but at the same time it's up to him to choose who he wants to play with on his album. Everything is fine. Life is too short to anchor anything that can be considered negative "

This is the quote that I zeroed in on. It seems to me pretty clear that JLB and MP have no relationship.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: January 14, 2021, 07:36:41 AM »
Also I realised that with LTE 3 coming out next year along with a new DT that'll be 4 albums in 3 years for Petrucci.

1. Distance Over Time (2019)
2. Terminal Velocity (2020)
3. LTE 3 (2021)
4. DT15 (2021)

I know LTE is largely jammed and improvised and he's probably been keeping songs for T.V. back for years... But I wonder when he writes a riff - how does he decide which project to

keep it for ?  :D I expect it's whatever project is being worked on at the time.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #434 on: January 14, 2021, 07:51:34 AM »
I vaguely remember him mentioning in an interview how he wrote down a riff years ago, and decided to use it when he was working on Terminal Velocity. He said that only after he had written more material using that riff did he realized he was recreating a DT song  :lol I don't think he revealed which riff/song that was but I thought that was funny.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #435 on: January 14, 2021, 08:31:18 AM »

And I think it's the best approach. He basically said he's cool with it, but also indirectly confirmed what we all knew, that he and MP aren't in good terms at all.

Also I realised that with LTE 3 coming out next year along with a new DT that'll be 4 albums in 3 years for Petrucci.

3. LTE 3 (2021)
4. DT15 (2021)

I know LTE is largely jammed and improvised and he's probably been keeping songs for T.V. back for years... But I wonder when he writes a riff - how does he decide which project to

keep it for ?  :D I expect it's whatever project is being worked on at the time.

I love that we're getting a ton of JP releases lately, it's definitely the most prolific he's been in a long time :metal

The only thing I'd love for him to do, but he doesn't seem interested at all, is form another band/side project/supergroup with a completely different bunch of people (no MP, JR, DLR, etc) and release albums every once in a while.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #436 on: January 14, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »
"John knows the kind of relationship that Mike and I have, he's aware of it, but at the same time it's up to him to choose who he wants to play with on his album. Everything is fine. Life is too short to anchor anything that can be considered negative "

This is the quote that I zeroed in on. It seems to me pretty clear that JLB and MP have no relationship.

Of course they don't. MP was very hard on JLB, especially during SC and BC&SL. So I don't blame JLB for not having a close relationship with Portnoy.

You don't say "I would've picked a different singer if I had to make that choice now"...While you're current singer isnt suitable for what You what to create now.  That would make me upset and feel like you don't appreciate my contributions anymore, and want me to change my style to suit your ways. JLB did it because MP is the producer and he signed a contract, so is obligated to do it.

You can tell easily how much freer JLB is with his vocals, a reason why JP just let him record his vocals at home, or wherever he is most comfortable recording his vocals.

I vaguely remember him mentioning in an interview how he wrote down a riff years ago, and decided to use it when he was working on Terminal Velocity. He said that only after he had written more material using that riff did he realized he was recreating a DT song  :lol I don't think he revealed which riff/song that was but I thought that was funny.

I forgot the song name but it sounds like Bridges In The Sky to me..

I think it was Glassy Eyed Zombies.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #437 on: January 14, 2021, 09:00:24 AM »

Not to mention this was translated from English back into English.

That was my first thought.  Many of these statements may seem odd because of the dual translation (probably by different translators).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: January 14, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »

3. LTE 3 (2021)
4. DT15 (2021)

Next year??? How so?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: January 14, 2021, 10:24:11 AM »
Next year what ?

I find it highly unlikely that DT15 will not be out until 2022... Given that they're working on it right now and have been for a while...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: January 14, 2021, 11:05:25 AM »

We don't need to pull bandaids, or rip scabs, but suffice that not everyone agrees 100% with that opinion.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: January 14, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »

Of course they don't. MP was very hard on JLB, especially during SC and BC&SL. So I don't blame JLB for not having a close relationship with Portnoy.

You don't say "I would've picked a different singer if I had to make that choice now"...While you're current singer isnt suitable for what You what to create now.  That would make me upset and feel like you don't appreciate my contributions anymore, and want me to change my style to suit your ways. JLB did it because MP is the producer and he signed a contract, so is obligated to do it.

You can tell easily how much freer JLB is with his vocals, a reason why JP just let him record his vocals at home, or wherever he is most comfortable recording his vocals.

Eh, I don't think it's that simple.  That was a potentially harsh statement, no doubt, but very much worse has been said about lesser people over the years and it's not festered like this.   Keith Richards wrote in his autobiography that Mick had a small weiner and was a control freak, and somehow they are now on good terms.  I don't care what you think of my singing (or, since it's my profession, my lawyering) but if you go around slandering my Jimmy, them's fighting words.  I think it's less what was said as much as how it was dealt with.  We weren't there and so have no idea how it was handled at the time, nor what pressures were put on each of them to come to understanding, nor how it was handled in years subsequent.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #442 on: January 14, 2021, 01:02:26 PM »

Eh, I don't think it's that simple.  That was a potentially harsh statement, no doubt, but very much worse has been said about lesser people over the years and it's not festered like this.   Keith Richards wrote in his autobiography that Mick had a small weiner and was a control freak, and somehow they are now on good terms.  I don't care what you think of my singing (or, since it's my profession, my lawyering) but if you go around slandering my Jimmy, them's fighting words.  I think it's less what was said as much as how it was dealt with.  We weren't there and so have no idea how it was handled at the time, nor what pressures were put on each of them to come to understanding, nor how it was handled in years subsequent.

Of course it's not as simple. All we have is speculation. But, from what we have seen. MP being that way to JLB likely didn't help that friendship get any better. And who's to know they were actually buddy friends before and not just business friends that would still get along enough to laugh and joke with each other.

3. LTE 3 (2021)
4. DT15 (2021)

He doesn't decide the band decides.  :biggrin:

I am guessing. He writes and then places it on the shelf. And when it's time to write, he brings one out he quite liked and presents it to the rest of the guys.

And being a musician not really in other bands, his solo album is the only chance he gets to use those ideas. Even at that, some were older songs already played live.

That would be a great interview question though ..

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #443 on: January 14, 2021, 01:06:01 PM »
 I will ask him if/when i have a shot at interview him again. My guess is that with a lot of these session musicians, they use whatever they write for the album they're working on at the moment. Petrucci's case might be different though, and he might want to save something he wrote, because in his head it might have the potential to sound killer once Jordan, Muyng and Mangini add their parts.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #444 on: January 14, 2021, 01:47:56 PM »
I will ask him if/when i have a shot at interview him again. My guess is that with a lot of these session musicians, they use whatever they write for the album they're working on at the moment. Petrucci's case might be different though, and he might want to save something he wrote, because in his head it might have the potential to sound killer once Jordan, Muyng and Mangini add their parts.

I meant to type about this too and just forgot.  :lol

It's why I like how they wrote Distance Over Time. They all brought in some of their ideas, and together, the band jammed the ideas. Some developed right away, and some were put on the back end right on up until the end, one of JM's riff according to an interview (I have to look it up to find which one, I am thinking either the one that premiered Fatal Tragedy from Distant Memories, or the one JP and JLB did with Chris Jericho, or it could be this one that I am listening to now...https://youtu.be/ilIFuCe7TuY) And the results turned into something pretty darn good, and one of the best with At Wit's End. And letting them give MM the time to shine with his song, Room 137, and it is different for Dream Theater, I like the rhythm of the vocals, and how that beat is driven.

And I hope the new album was written in a similar way.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: January 15, 2021, 06:09:36 AM »
Next year what ?

I find it highly unlikely that DT15 will not be out until 2022... Given that they're working on it right now and have been for a while...

I haven't heard that LTE 3 has been pushed to 2022

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #446 on: January 15, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »
And who's to know they were actually buddy friends before and not just business friends that would still get along enough to laugh and joke with each other.
I can't cite a source because I don't remember where I heard/read it, but I remember that the two of them were super tight friends, especially in the early 90s. And not too long ago, I read a post MP made on his forum back in 2005 about the two of them going to see QR together then. You don't do that if you're not friends.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: January 15, 2021, 10:33:25 AM »
Next year what ?

I haven't heard that LTE 3 has been pushed to 2022

I meant this year! I was wondering what i'd said wrong...  ;D   To be fair - I did put (2021) for both...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2021, 11:06:18 AM »
And who's to know they were actually buddy friends before and not just business friends that would still get along enough to laugh and joke with each other.
I can't cite a source because I don't remember where I heard/read it, but I remember that the two of them were super tight friends, especially in the early 90s. And not too long ago, I read a post MP made on his forum back in 2005 about the two of them going to see QR together then. You don't do that if you're not friends.

My understanding is that things started to get bad between them around the SC era, and only got worse from there (don't know where I read that, tho).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #449 on: January 19, 2021, 06:44:23 PM »
So we gonna take bets on how long it takes JP to release a 3rd solo album?  :lol
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: January 20, 2021, 03:09:20 AM »
Probably after DT have split.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #451 on: January 21, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »

We don't need to pull bandaids, or rip scabs, but suffice that not everyone agrees 100% with that opinion.

Give me one example when he has publicly said anything derogatory about Mike Portnoy.  Mike has had numerous public digs at JLB both when he was in the band and since he left.  JLB has said nothing wrong here.  He was asked about Petrucci working with Portnoy on his solo record and basically said that it’s none of his business who Petrucci chooses to work with on a solo record, which is the correct answer.

What do people want him to say?  They clearly don’t like each other so he’s not going to lie and say “it’s so amazing to see those guys back together again” but he’s also not going to say “I wish he’d picked someone else”.  He gave the diplomatic answer that it’s nothing to do with him who Petrucci picks to play drums on his own album.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #452 on: January 21, 2021, 04:50:13 PM »
Regarding the "Nación Progresiva" post about JLB:

That's a Latin American medium for progressive rock and such things. I've worked with them before, and I recommend all of you to take everything they say/write/translate with a grain of salt. I personally know the man that wrote that piece and he's basically a Mike Portnoy ass kisser. I'm sorry for my poor wording, but there's really not a better way to describe him lol. He's also pretty known for being fairly critical of JLB, and such is the reason that his wording might not seem very JLB-like at all. I haven't seen/read the original interview but I'll make sure to check it out to give you folks a more faithful translation. Remember Blabbermouth? Those guys are the Blabbermouth of the Latin American progressive community.

Also, his Spanish grammar is terrible. It's very, very poorly written.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: January 21, 2021, 09:47:04 PM »

Give me one example when he has publicly said anything derogatory about Mike Portnoy.  Mike has had numerous public digs at JLB both when he was in the band and since he left.  JLB has said nothing wrong here.  He was asked about Petrucci working with Portnoy on his solo record and basically said that it’s none of his business who Petrucci chooses to work with on a solo record, which is the correct answer.

What do people want him to say?  They clearly don’t like each other so he’s not going to lie and say “it’s so amazing to see those guys back together again” but he’s also not going to say “I wish he’d picked someone else”.  He gave the diplomatic answer that it’s nothing to do with him who Petrucci picks to play drums on his own album.

I'm not referring to the recent quote; we all know the historical quotes, we all know the sites.  They're all cited here in one place or another. 

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #454 on: January 23, 2021, 03:41:47 PM »
LaBrie gave the right answer. It's JP's project and he chooses whomever he wants to play on it. End of story.