Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52583 times)

Offline Nachtmerrie

Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #315 on: September 03, 2020, 01:25:01 PM »
Anyone else enjoying the new JP album more than the last 3 Dream Theater albums?

100%

I have way more fun listening to JP's album then I ever had listening to DT12 and TA and after a promising start I just don't see myself going back to Distance Over Time a lot.

JP's album sounds better, more organic and I just love MP's drumming.

Offline DT89

« Reply #316 on: September 03, 2020, 04:59:31 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: September 03, 2020, 05:13:52 PM »
Anyone else enjoying the new JP album more than the last 3 Dream Theater albums?

No but I don't like listening to 100% instrumental guitar solo music.

I'd much rather listen to ADTOE, DT, TA and D/T

Offline PetFish

« Reply #318 on: September 03, 2020, 10:36:06 PM »
Terminal Velocity - John Petrucci - Split Screen Full Band (ProgmaX Studios)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crwsDD-4yms

Man, it's such a HUGE difference being able to SEE the stuff JP plays.  You think that maybe it sounds simple or whatever but then you actually watch it happening and it's totally mind-blowing.  He's all over the neck, all kinds of shapes and positions, the stamina, and so many techniques in one song... nearly every song, really.

... and this isn't even JP playing (although it looks like he might be playing bass in this video)!  So many Youtube players out there are just out of this world.

Wow.

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #319 on: September 04, 2020, 08:54:32 AM »

100%

I have way more fun listening to JP's album then I ever had listening to DT12 and TA and after a promising start I just don't see myself going back to Distance Over Time a lot.

Agree 100% as well.  The 2 of them together playing is just
magic.

Chris

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #320 on: September 04, 2020, 09:00:45 AM »

Easily 100% yes.  I liked ADTOE, since then,
No thanks.

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #321 on: September 04, 2020, 09:06:14 AM »
Yeah, MP is on fire with this one. I guess these two were born to play together. They bring out the best in each other.

Couldn’t agree more.  Let’s hope this isn’t the last we hear them together.

Chris

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #322 on: September 04, 2020, 10:06:13 AM »

Man, it's such a HUGE difference being able to SEE the stuff JP plays.  You think that maybe it sounds simple or whatever but then you actually watch it happening and it's totally mind-blowing.  He's all over the neck, all kinds of shapes and positions, the stamina, and so many techniques in one song... nearly every song, really.

... and this isn't even JP playing (although it looks like he might be playing bass in this video)!  So many Youtube players out there are just out of this world.

Wow.
Whoa, that was awesome!  There are some amazing players out there. How the back do they learn this stuff so fast and fluently??  Ridiculously high level of playing..  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #323 on: September 04, 2020, 01:06:38 PM »
I guess the comparisons to Dream Theater were inevitable, but it's not a 1 to 1 comparison.  Feels a little like comparing chicken and salmon.  They're both meat, sure, but the similarities end there.  One isn't "better" or "worse" than the other any more than a 4-door sedan is better or worse than a 2-door coupe.  They'll both get you where you want to go.

I like them both for what they are.  I guess I probably like the Dream Theater stuff more because I'm not a big listener of instrumental music.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #324 on: September 04, 2020, 07:47:06 PM »

Wow.
Whoa, that was awesome!  There are some amazing players out there. How the back do they learn this stuff so fast and fluently??  Ridiculously high level of playing..  :tup

I’d have to imagine not having full-time jobs would play into it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #325 on: September 05, 2020, 01:57:39 AM »
Good point Dream Team,  I can relate.  If I spent as much time playing guitar as I have running a weedeater and other power equipment, I would have been a freakin rock star a long time ago, lol!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline PetFish

« Reply #326 on: September 05, 2020, 07:55:28 PM »
I’d have to imagine not having full-time jobs would play into it.

Good point Dream Team,  I can relate.  If I spent as much time playing guitar as I have running a weedeater and other power equipment, I would have been a freakin rock star a long time ago, lol!

Noice.  If it weren't for The Machine holding us back we're *all* rock stars.  That's my story as to why I'm not in Bon Jovi and I'm sticking to it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2020, 11:02:35 AM »
It sounds like you have a lot of rage against the machine.  I hear ya man!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #328 on: September 06, 2020, 12:52:16 PM »
Worked in the yard today and had time to listen to TV and DOT back 2 back. I equally enjoyed both and feel grateful that my musical maturity allows me to appreciate both DT and JP's solo work at the same time, without prejudice.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #329 on: September 06, 2020, 04:04:25 PM »

100%

Agree 100% as well.  The 2 of them together playing is just
magic.

Chris

It really is magic.  I was thrilled to hear them together again.  I'm hopeful this experience was a lot of fun for them, and sparked the desire to  possibly work on another album JP later.  Or maybe even more LTE...

Offline DT89

Offline DT89

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2020, 03:50:05 PM »
Keep'em tabs coming, astonishing work! Very impressive

Offline DT89

« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2020, 05:08:45 PM »
Thanks! My goal is to have the remaining two songs finished by early next week.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #334 on: September 10, 2020, 02:31:16 PM »
believe it or not, your tabs are interesting to follow. Even for me not being a guitarist. Keep up the great work.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DT89

« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2020, 02:16:58 PM »
believe it or not, your tabs are interesting to follow. Even for me not being a guitarist. Keep up the great work.
Thanks, that's great to hear. Just one more song to go!

John Petrucci - The Way Things Fall Guitar Tab

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #336 on: September 14, 2020, 11:58:52 AM »
Just wanted to chime in again as I can’t believe how good this album is.  I was excited for it as it’s Petrucci but, Satriani aside, I’m not a huge guitar instrumental album guy.  I liked Suspended Animation but it’s not something I love and go back to and I expected to feel similarly about this one.  It’s so much better though imo and getting close to being LTE level.  Just keeps getting better every time I hear it and JP’s playing is insane, I wasn’t sure he had this in him anymore.  Had it on in the car today and it’s just a perfect album to blast in car with the sun shining.

Hugely surprising album for me and may perhaps be moving towards being my album of the year.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #337 on: September 14, 2020, 12:23:50 PM »
Just wanted to chime in again as I can’t believe how good this album is.  I was excited for it as it’s Petrucci but, Satriani aside, I’m not a huge guitar instrumental album guy.  I liked Suspended Animation but it’s not something I love and go back to and I expected to feel similarly about this one.  It’s so much better though imo and getting close to being LTE level.  Just keeps getting better every time I hear it and JP’s playing is insane, I wasn’t sure he had this in him anymore.  Had it on in the car today and it’s just a perfect album to blast in car with the sun shining.

Hugely surprising album for me and may perhaps be moving towards being my album of the year.

I really agree with this! I bought it to support JP, and thought there would be some juicy stuff...but it is a record I keep going back to, with songs I am falling in love with. I need a voice and lyrics to enjoy music, but he broke the mold here..  :metal

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #338 on: September 14, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »
I'm here to jump on the bandwagon about this record. Each time I turn it on (and I turn it on a lot!) it sounds so fresh. I, too am not a big guitar instrumental guy but JP's sense of melody is on full display here, as I "sing" the melodies in each song as if they had lyrics. Each piece has its own identity and they're not so long that you lose focus, he keeps things interesting. As I listen I say to myself, how can anyone be better?

Offline pcs90

« Reply #339 on: September 14, 2020, 11:27:33 PM »
Finally got a chance to check this out today. Very nice, more focused than his first solo album IMO. Nice to hear JP and MP together again as well. Maybe it will lead to an LTE reunion...one can dream!

Offline DT89

« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2020, 01:24:37 PM »
Very happy to have finished transcribing the album! The release date was great timing, as I was in between tab book projects. For anyone interested in the free tabs and hasn't already contacted me, please email me at maytropolees@comcast.net or countuscany@gmail.com.

John Petrucci - Temple of Circadia Guitar Tab

Playlist of all the songs: Terminal Velocity Guitar Tabs

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2020, 01:35:51 PM »
Very happy to have finished transcribing the album! The release date was great timing, as I was in between tab book projects. For anyone interested in the free tabs and hasn't already contacted me, please email me at maytropolees@comcast.net or countuscany@gmail.com.

John Petrucci - Temple of Circadia Guitar Tab

Playlist of all the songs: Terminal Velocity Guitar Tabs

Dude - you do really fine work!!!!  :metal

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »

If I had to rank the 4 albums you're referring to here:

1. Distance Over Time
2. Terminal Velocity
3. Dream Theater

H
U
G
E

G
A
P
I
N
G

B
O
T
T
O
M
L
E
S
S

H
O
L
E

The Astonishing

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2020, 04:20:30 PM »
 :rollin

Hey Kirk, tell us how you really feel!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »
My interview with John Petrucci was published today. It's my first video interview, so cut me some slack you guys...but I'm eager to read your comments about it:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-john-petrucci/?fbclid=IwAR1nE4AqIH62Fjf2ehkMeInk7ZDumXDF4HlHc8ZInGkRrY7181B6A_eJKoM

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
My interview with John Petrucci was published today. It's my first video interview, so cut me some slack you guys...but I'm eager to read your comments about it:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-john-petrucci/?fbclid=IwAR1nE4AqIH62Fjf2ehkMeInk7ZDumXDF4HlHc8ZInGkRrY7181B6A_eJKoM

That was enjoyable, thank you for sharing. :tup
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »

Thank you!!! I only had 20 minutes with him, but tried to make the best of it...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #347 on: September 17, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »

Thank you!!! I only had 20 minutes with him, but tried to make the best of it...

Yeah, great interview.  Really interesting questions too.  Thanks! :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #348 on: September 17, 2020, 04:03:22 PM »
So JP thought Zero Tolerance wans't good enough for the album. I've heard it recently and I agree.
Congratulations, Rodrigo, very good interview in a short time!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #349 on: September 17, 2020, 04:15:30 PM »
So JP thought Zero Tolerance wans't good enough for the album. I've heard it recently and I agree.
Congratulations, Rodrigo, very good interview in a short time!

Thanks. And I have to agree with John...the material on Terminal Velocity is miles ahead of Zero Tolerance.