Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52559 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #280 on: August 29, 2020, 06:23:10 AM »
Is it just me or is this album technical as fuck?! Seems like JP is on top of his game, at least from a chops perspective. The album rips though. I'm so glad Happy Song is in my life now.
if he is, then that's a great sign for DT15 (I'm just saying)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline N4Player

« Reply #281 on: August 29, 2020, 06:36:41 AM »
Love The Oddfather, Gemini (that DiMeola latin section puts a huge smile on my face, glad John finally recorded this piece) and Glassy-Eyed Zombies the most. The 2:40 - 5:10 minute mark in Temple of Circadia are awesome. Chills. Feels like it belongs in a Dream Theater epic. John is on fire on this record. Wow, just wow. I love being a guitarist because it excites me to learn to play such epicness. Love all the grooves throughout the record. So much to unpack and allow to grow over time. Happy this is finally here. He was already amazing when Images and Words came, but in comparison to Suspended Animation, it is quite something to see how much he has evolved in so many areas. True passion exudes throughout. It was worth the 15 year wait.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #282 on: August 29, 2020, 07:38:26 AM »
I am very slowly digesting this album and loving every minute of it! What ultimately draws me to DT is their melodic tones that JP and JR write so for this solo work, it's JP melodicism that puts a smile on my face.
MP's drum work is .......... well............ very MPish which means he's fucking awesome but I honestly don't think he's doing anything special that other talented drummers couldn't pull off. And to call this a collaboration or saying that there's chemistry between JP and MP is a stretch IMO. MP is nothing more than a session player for this effort. I mean, we're talking about 25 years of muscle memory.
Also, I'm really digging Out of the Blue!
I agree - there is a lot of recency bias going around lately. Is it great to hear JP & MP playing together? Yes. Is the album fantastic? IMO, Yes! But that is about 99 percent down to JP - he wrote all the songs, even outlined the drums and bass, though giving some freedom to MP and Dave during recording. In fact, people forget that all guitar tracks were finished before MP even entered the picutre and recoreded his drum tracks, nevertheless that JP stated - in interview with Ola E. if I recall correctly -  that he even worked with MP on spesific drum parts because he wanted a segment to sound in a spesific way.

I think when people talk about the chemistry of MP and JP, in this case, it means the way that JP playing affected positively MP drumming. I think it's a totally fair assumption, just compare the drumming on Suspended Animation with the one on Terminal Velocity. I bet JP programed the basic drum patterns on the 2 album's demos and the drumming on TV is much more interesting (and Dave Dicenso is a tremendous drummer). Well, if you don't want to compare the results on different songs, I suggest to compare Happy Song and Glass-Eyed Zombies from the G3's 2018 tour with the versions on TV. To me, on TV they are better (and I'm also a Mangini fan and love what he does on DT albums):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WnD5Xs1fR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6-LnB9THlw

"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #283 on: August 29, 2020, 08:14:35 AM »
They just sound good playing together, that’s chemistry.  No one’s trying to give Portnoy a writing credit here.  People are enjoying their musical heroes playing together and sounding great, that’s all.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #284 on: August 29, 2020, 11:52:19 AM »
This album is so dang fun to listen to. I listened to some of the tracks with speaker mode on my phone at work yesterday while outdoor painting. I started laughing out loud in a positive way at how insane JP's guitar playing is!   Went home later and piped it in through my big stereo and listened to it twice.  His tone is absolutely amazing!  I'm betting that he used his Purple Nebula Majesty on a majority of the tracks, which speaks volumes on how good of a guitar that must be.
He just keeps getting better and better as a musician and keeps raising the bar outdoing himself. Dave Larue is great as always, and MP absolutely knocked it out of the park on this release!  :metal :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: August 29, 2020, 12:14:08 PM »
Instrumental albums are 'difficult' ones for me overall, and a heavy one at my age adds even more difficulty.  That said, I really enjoyed my first go round.  Lots of LTE  'moments' in this, really loved 'Out of the Blue' due to the tempo change, and there were moments that would fit into a DT album.  And...Portnoy added to my enjoyment. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #286 on: August 29, 2020, 02:40:15 PM »
I am very slowly digesting this album and loving every minute of it! What ultimately draws me to DT is their melodic tones that JP and JR write so for this solo work, it's JP melodicism that puts a smile on my face.
MP's drum work is .......... well............ very MPish which means he's fucking awesome but I honestly don't think he's doing anything special that other talented drummers couldn't pull off. And to call this a collaboration or saying that there's chemistry between JP and MP is a stretch IMO. MP is nothing more than a session player for this effort. I mean, we're talking about 25 years of muscle memory.
Also, I'm really digging Out of the Blue!
I agree - there is a lot of recency bias going around lately. Is it great to hear JP & MP playing together? Yes. Is the album fantastic? IMO, Yes! But that is about 99 percent down to JP - he wrote all the songs, even outlined the drums and bass, though giving some freedom to MP and Dave during recording. In fact, people forget that all guitar tracks were finished before MP even entered the picutre and recoreded his drum tracks, nevertheless that JP stated - in interview with Ola E. if I recall correctly -  that he even worked with MP on spesific drum parts because he wanted a segment to sound in a spesific way.

I think when people talk about the chemistry of MP and JP, in this case, it means the way that JP playing affected positively MP drumming. I think it's a totally fair assumption, just compare the drumming on Suspended Animation with the one on Terminal Velocity. I bet JP programed the basic drum patterns on the 2 album's demos and the drumming on TV is much more interesting (and Dave Dicenso is a tremendous drummer). Well, if you don't want to compare the results on different songs, I suggest to compare Happy Song and Glass-Eyed Zombies from the G3's 2018 tour with the versions on TV. To me, on TV they are better (and I'm also a Mangini fan and love what he does on DT albums):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WnD5Xs1fR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6-LnB9THlw

I get where you're going but just remember that the point you're making is based on a 3 piece live band recorded through cell phone audio/video vs. a polished production with rhythm guitars.

And with that said, I love what JP has done with the rhythm guitars on this album giving excellent context to the melodies on the songs!  :metal

Normally in DT songs, I am not that fond of rhythm guitars because they have a keyboardist but for this piece of work, it's perfect.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: August 29, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »
I love Snake in My Boot. I wish DT had more moments like this that just groove and get you moving. I really enjoyed it

Viper King is cool.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2020, 04:19:29 PM »
I love Snake in My Boot. I wish DT had more moments like this that just groove and get you moving. I really enjoyed it

Viper King is cool.
nice if you like either one, I guess.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #289 on: August 30, 2020, 04:46:21 AM »
Anytime I listen to The Oddfather I think it is a Lost Not Forgotten demo.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #290 on: August 30, 2020, 07:55:58 AM »
I just listen the album. Well, the title song is not that good but the rest is amazing. It's like JP did everything he wanted he couldn't do with DT.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #291 on: August 30, 2020, 08:32:45 AM »
I just listen the album. Well, the title song is not that good but the rest is amazing. It's like JP did everything he wanted he couldn't do with DT.

Well - yeah - isn't that the idea of doing a solo album?  :azn:

Offline DT89

« Reply #292 on: August 30, 2020, 11:15:20 AM »
John Petrucci - Snake in My Boot Guitar Tab

I'll probably do Happy Song or Gemini next!

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2020, 04:35:48 AM »
Why hello there!

You might remember me from such great posts as "Train of Thought: Dream Theater's Last Great Album" and. . . well, that's it.

Anyway, I've reviewed Terminal Velocity!

https://uncannymetal.com/2020/08/31/honest-review-john-petrucci-terminal-velocity/

A small snippet:
"Terminal Velocity, even unconsciously, comes together as an album celebrating both music and friendship. It may not have been intentional while writing the album, but it certainly feels that way when listening to it."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2020, 05:49:21 AM »
Nice review Troy McClure!  :lol

Seriously though, that is a good read and I agree that this album celebrates music and friendship.  I would like to add too is that JP's tone is out of this world and he does some stuff that I've never heard him do before. Insane skill and emotion in a melting pot. 
 If anyone has been saying that there's other guitarists that top Petrucci,  this album makes a statement with a "hold my beer" ..  🍺
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2020, 11:33:03 AM »

This just happened...I interviewed John for 25 minutes today!

Offline OptionalPlayer

« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »
Nice review Troy McClure!  :lol

Seriously though, that is a good read and I agree that this album celebrates music and friendship.  I would like to add too is that JP's tone is out of this world and he does some stuff that I've never heard him do before. Insane skill and emotion in a melting pot. 
 If anyone has been saying that there's other guitarists that top Petrucci,  this album makes a statement with a "hold my beer" ..  🍺
Thanks, meng! Yeah, I can say this album took me by surprise and definitely would rank Petrucci among the greats.

Offline DT89

Offline OptionalPlayer

« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2020, 05:31:43 PM »

Dude, that's great! I've msged his FB to get him to see my review (and ideally share it). Can't wait to see the video.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2020, 06:02:38 PM »

Dude, that's great! I've msged his FB to get him to see my review (and ideally share it). Can't wait to see the video.

I enjoyed your review. Try his publicist, he might be able to share your review. They haven't shared mine! Grrrr...

Offline OptionalPlayer

« Reply #300 on: September 02, 2020, 05:15:50 AM »

I enjoyed your review. Try his publicist, he might be able to share your review. They haven't shared mine! Grrrr...
I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. Feel free to PM me back.

And thanks for the kind words about the review!

To be honest, I've been looking for a contact of his publicist or record label. But because he independently released it, I've had a tough time finding something. Would you happen to have his publicist's contact?

If you're uncomfortable sharing, it's no big deal either.

I can't wait to see your review pop, either way!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #301 on: September 02, 2020, 07:04:31 AM »

I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. Feel free to PM me back.

And thanks for the kind words about the review!

To be honest, I've been looking for a contact of his publicist or record label. But because he independently released it, I've had a tough time finding something. Would you happen to have his publicist's contact?

If you're uncomfortable sharing, it's no big deal either.

I can't wait to see your review pop, either way!

I sent you a private message.

Offline OptionalPlayer

« Reply #302 on: September 02, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »

I can't respond to you because your inbox is full!  :D :D :D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »

I can't respond to you because your inbox is full!  :D :D :D
[/quote

I cleaned it up now!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #304 on: September 02, 2020, 03:23:49 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=308114247129704&extid=p3upP9xbKI18DQZW
very cool chat with JP, MP and Dave LaRue.
Around 33 minute mark, there's a funny moment/reaction where JP explains why MP didn't play on his first album, but played on this one. :lol
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:43:42 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #305 on: September 02, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »
Yeah, I caught about the last 20 mins of FB Live.  It was great!  :hefdaddy   Um, we've known since 2005 why MP didn't play on that album.  Same reason MM didn't play on this album :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline darkshade

« Reply #306 on: September 02, 2020, 04:55:58 PM »
Anyone else enjoying the new JP album more than the last 3 Dream Theater albums?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #307 on: September 02, 2020, 05:01:02 PM »
Anyone else enjoying the new JP album more than the last 3 Dream Theater albums?

No.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: September 02, 2020, 08:50:53 PM »

No.

Hell no.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #309 on: September 02, 2020, 11:35:29 PM »

I’m enjoying the drumming a lot more.  ;)

The overall production is a step up too, even if the bass is a bit low in the mix. But that makes sense as it’s guitar album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #310 on: September 03, 2020, 12:15:42 AM »
Absolutely not, no. (but if you do, go ahead)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 12:27:28 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #311 on: September 03, 2020, 07:53:48 AM »

Ummm. Heck no! Even though I like the JP album...

Offline majo

« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2020, 09:29:16 AM »
Definitely.
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: September 03, 2020, 09:59:38 AM »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #314 on: September 03, 2020, 10:04:39 AM »

I like it better than DT12 and TA.  Same goes for James solo work during that time.  However, D/T is a great album.  TV is different in a lot of ways because of the solo aspect but it's difficult to compare the two.  I like everything on both albums.  Can't say that about DT12 and TA.

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White