Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52368 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2020, 06:55:49 AM »
Cool song, but Jaws of Life was a stronger opener. But Terminal Velocity has a stronger drumming!
standard fare Portnoy. (IMHO) Mangini would have been a lot more musical and logical (again, IMHO. And tighter too) Cool if you love it though. And John is as great as he ever was IMHO.
I agree. Typical MP's drumming, but I was comparing with Dave DiCenso drumming on Suspended Animation, that was a bit restrained to my ears. No doubt, nowadays, Mangini drumming also surprises me a lot more than MP.
ah right ok. Yes, I agree on Dave DC as well.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline emtee

« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2020, 07:39:53 AM »
2 spins. Unfortunately no musical feels or nostalgia feels. Maybe the next song.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2020, 08:37:51 AM »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2020, 10:49:21 AM »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2020, 11:23:21 AM »
Autographed CD and vinyl for those in the US

https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/vendors?q=John%20Petrucci
Fritzinger, this one is for you.

Either it's sold out or I can't see it, since I'm not in the US  :'(
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2020, 11:25:56 AM »

The latter, I think. No, I meant more generally speaking, you'd love it on vinyl I'm sure.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2020, 11:26:24 AM »

Sold out. I'm in the US and can't see it.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »
2 spins. Unfortunately no musical feels or nostalgia feels. Maybe the next song.
Shame to hear that - it's quite the opposite for me. I really like it!

The only thing that bothers me a bit is the amount of multiple guitar parts he plays on it, which will be impossible to replicate live, unless he has a second guitarist, which I doubt will happen.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2020, 12:54:00 PM »
Kinda surprised at how uninteresting I found the song to be. Will have no problem waiting until October for my physical copy.

As it is, I actually am more excited for Derek's solo album  :o

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2020, 01:04:25 PM »
well, MP played what JP asked him to played, that's what he said on an interview.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2020, 01:55:49 PM »
well, MP played what JP asked him to played, that's what he said on an interview.

Well, on the Instagram Live posted yesterday, he basically told MP to do his (MP's) thing, unless there was a technical part that JP wanted to keep, and MP learned it. So it's a little of both.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Trav86

« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2020, 07:05:34 PM »
iTunes has previews for each song. Sounds killer!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2020, 08:32:00 PM »

Sold out. I'm in the US and can't see it.

I see nothing. Might mean that John is going to sign them for his website also.

At least we have options.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #188 on: August 07, 2020, 08:59:29 PM »
iTunes has previews for each song. Sounds killer!

:metal :metal :metal

I was hoping Zero Tolerance ended up being in the album with a different name, but I just checked and it isn't :'(
I wonder why he didn't use it, as it was already performed live along with Happy Song and Glassy-Eyed Zombies.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2020, 07:33:56 AM »
New sing is killer and the samples sound great too. Portnoy sounds great playing with Petrucci again. Really looking forward to this.
Sounds to me to have more of a hard Rock edge than SA. Which is no bad thing IMO.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2020, 09:50:28 AM »
Very impressed with the samples and also with MP performance!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2020, 10:41:33 AM »
The 2 of them together is just magic.  So amazing to see these guys together again.  MP’s playing together with JP just sounds like DT.  The feel and the groove are what has been lacking in DT’s music.  Really hoping this is the start of a future reunion. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2020, 11:06:30 AM »
The 2 of them together is just magic.  So amazing to see these guys together again.  MP’s playing together with JP just sounds like DT.  The feel and the groove are what has been lacking in DT’s music.  Really hoping this is the start of a future reunion.
As far as I know, John recently denied this in an interview. (Which I'm relieved about personally)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »
As far as I know, John recently denied this in an interview. (Which I'm relieved about personally)

Yeah he was pretty clear about that and even said when he asked Portnoy he knew it would spark those rumors but there is nothing to read into.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2020, 01:09:39 PM »

Yeah he was pretty clear about that and even said when he asked Portnoy he knew it would spark those rumors but there is nothing to read into.

Exactly. It's a Man who's finally doing a solo album, and getting his friend, who happens to be an ex band mate, to play drums.

Didn't JP only write Suspended Animation because he needed songs to play on G3, that mainly showcase his guitar and feature mainly guitar?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Volante99

« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2020, 03:04:59 PM »
The song itself is a little clinical and Petrucci sounds like he’s putting on a bit of an exhibition of his techniques. Cool on one level but I can’t imagine a non-guitarist getting a ton of enjoyment out of it.

I WILL say this though- Petrucci sounds more energetic here than he has in a long time and the reason for that is Mr. Portnoy. They have a chemistry that’s undeniable. MP just “gets” JP and he knows what to do in situation. MP brings tension, drama, and he knows how to drive all the transitions.

I’ll also say (and this is just as much  a compliment to JP, Andy Sneap and Jimmy T) the drums sound amazing, sonically. It sounds like real drums, being hit with real sticks by an actual human being.

Really, it sounds good overall. A/Bing the mix with DoT on Spotify on my headphones and it’s alarming how much better Terminal Velocity sounds.

Online Trav86

« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »
I’m hoping this is a gateway for Andy Sneap to work on the next DT album!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »

Amen, brother!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »
This song is all over the place in a way that justifies its title. In fact, my first couple listens almost felt like I was hearing a slightly different song each time, but that could have been because I was wearing a single earbud while working.

Now that I've had a chance to digest it on better equipment, I can better appreciate how JP deftly matches the rhythm changes with an appropriate scale change using just about every technique he's developed over the years. Definitely a suitable single, and while I haven't listened to the samples of the rest of the album, I'm looking forward to the digital release at the end of the month (and my vinyl copy in October!).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2020, 08:21:54 PM »
This song is all over the place in a way that justifies its title. In fact, my first couple listens almost felt like I was hearing a slightly different song each time, but that could have been because I was wearing a single earbud while working.

Now that I've had a chance to digest it on better equipment, I can better appreciate how JP deftly matches the rhythm changes with an appropriate scale change using just about every technique he's developed over the years. Definitely a suitable single, and while I haven't listened to the samples of the rest of the album, I'm looking forward to the digital release at the end of the month (and my vinyl copy in October!).

Me too, gonna be an excellent birthday week for me. I got this and Redemptions live dvd coming out around then.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2020, 09:41:58 PM »
I miss his rock discipline improv, phrasing, note choice days...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:53:38 PM by gabeh1018 »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2020, 02:51:49 AM »

Amen, brother!
Good God, that would be amazing!  :metal

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »
Nothing to stop by, for me. At the same time, I didn't like his first solo album. I find him good when composing for DT, don't like when he's composing for himself. But hey, what do I know?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline DT89

« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2020, 10:11:23 AM »
I transcribed the whole song: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity Guitar Tab

Please email me at maytropolees@comcast.net or countuscany@gmail to get the Guitar Pro 7 & PDF files. Or send me a pm here.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
I transcribed the whole song: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity Guitar Tab

Please email me at maytropolees@comcast.net or countuscany@gmail to get the Guitar Pro 7 & PDF files. Or send me a pm here.

Wow, you're fast! Kuddos to you.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline PMA

« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »
I generally like anything Petrucci does and it's so very cool to see him play it.  The sheer precision is always mind boggling.  The song does sound very derivative though but I like it well enough that I pre-ordered the full release.  My only concern from the YouTube video is that LaRue is hard to hear.  Maybe that's the dreaded YouTube compression but it was very guitar centric, followed by the drums and then the bass even behind that in the mix.  I tried it on different sound systems too but the bass seemed buried to me.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2020, 05:04:59 AM »
My only concern from the YouTube video is that LaRue is hard to hear.  Maybe that's the dreaded YouTube compression but it was very guitar centric, followed by the drums and then the bass even behind that in the mix.  I tried it on different sound systems too but the bass seemed buried to me.

I think that's just how JP likes his mixes to sound, as it's the same situation on Suspended Animation. A shame as there is some really cool stuff going on in the bass department.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2020, 07:39:07 AM »
My only concern from the YouTube video is that LaRue is hard to hear.  Maybe that's the dreaded YouTube compression but it was very guitar centric, followed by the drums and then the bass even behind that in the mix.  I tried it on different sound systems too but the bass seemed buried to me.

I think that's just how JP likes his mixes to sound, as it's the same situation on Suspended Animation. A shame as there is some really cool stuff going on in the bass department.

He could relisten to Steve Morse's solo albums with LaRue on them. The bass mix and prod are fantastic.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2020, 08:13:46 AM »

I suggest you listen to the snippets of the songs on iTunes. There is ton of base in the mix in the more rock oriented songs on Terminal Velocity.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2020, 09:34:48 AM »
How do you hear the snippets? There's no option for that on mine.  Not under the store or Apple Music, the songs are just greyed out.