Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52357 times)

Offline Volante99

Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2020, 07:40:28 PM »
Reunion?

I think the main dissenting voice (I know - irony) would be JLB and therefore I don't think it happens.

Of course this is just nonsense talk and pure speculation to a certain degree, but just for the fun of it: could it be possible to see an scenario where MP rejoins DT and James leaves because of it? (not saying I want this to happen or anything similar, but it's interesting to think about this).

If, for whatever reason, JP and JR (or even JM) felt so strongly about wanting to have Mike back and James wouldn't take that at all, what are the cances of him leaving, and maybe even forming another band with Mangini? Things would go crazy here, that's for sure :biggrin:

And this would be more suited for the Controversial Opinions thread, but I still think another lineup change would be really interesting (though not necessarily another drummer change).

If that happened, I would probably stop listening to any new DT albums.  In my view, Labrie is essential to their sound.

I’m in the same boat. Like him or hate him, JLB is almost impossible to replace. I wouldn’t STOP listening to DT but at that point they may as well just change the name.

The ONLY person who I think might have done DT songs justice would be Sebastian Bach. His voice is getting shot much like LaBrie’s now but I think he actually could have pulled it off (25 years ago).

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2020, 06:32:03 AM »
In a situation where MM decided to leave and the band wanted MP to rejoin, I don't think they would get MP back if that meant they would have to replace a singer. Not because he's irreplaceable (which he is), but because it wouldn't be practical to go through that. I mean, food for thought, but there were things about MP that were irreplaceable, because no one bothered or wanted to replace them - his fan communication, his archival work, the setlists, the showmanship. If for some reason they would have to go through replacing JLB tomorrow, there would be things we'd lose forever, and we'd just have to deal with that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2020, 03:41:43 PM »
In a situation where MM decided to leave and the band wanted MP to rejoin, I don't think they would get MP back if that meant they would have to replace a singer. Not because he's irreplaceable (which he is), but because it wouldn't be practical to go through that. I mean, food for thought, but there were things about MP that were irreplaceable, because no one bothered or wanted to replace them - his fan communication, his archival work, the setlists, the showmanship. If for some reason they would have to go through replacing JLB tomorrow, there would be things we'd lose forever, and we'd just have to deal with that.

I would say the only irreplaceable DT member is JP, but it's interesting that if we compare MP with JLB we find that James has already been in the band longer and is in more albums than Mike:

- MP: 25 years in DT (1985-2010) and 10 studio albums.
- JLB: 29 years in DT (1991-present) and 13 studio albums.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2020, 09:26:28 PM »
At this point, I don’t any of them are replaceable. Mangini leaving and Portnoy coming back is the only thing that seems reasonable...and that’s a stretch. It’s just too late in the game for swapping people out. They’re not Yes, who has a different lineup every other year.

As for James. I don’t see how anyone can think he would be replaceable now. Portnoy is the reason I became a fan of this band. But, John Petrucci and James LaBrie are the reason I’ve been a fan for 21 years!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2020, 05:39:43 AM »
Worst case scenario for me is Portnoy coming back and Labrie getting replaced.

That would be too much like Portnoy getting his way after all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2020, 05:43:28 AM »
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:28:50 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2020, 08:10:09 AM »
Just wondering this as having MP on JP's album comes as a surprise. Since Suspended Animation came out in 2005 is there any chance that MP did the drum tracks before he left DT? JP has been working on his 2nd album for years and maybe the basic tracks were done and he just got around to finishing it now? It just seems odd to me that MP hasn't (unless I missed it) mentioned playing with JP "recently" as he is pretty much an open book and I haven't read anything from JP either detailing how it came to be that MP played on his new album.

I think it's great that they are playing together I was just wondering out loud.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2020, 08:49:23 AM »
This is all my opinion: JP and MP have always been the core sound of DT, what made them stand apart from other bands. I've felt vocals and keys were easily replaceable in the band. To me, LTE I and II are instrumental DT and are quasi-canon. Yes, JLB was the right guy at the time, and I enjoy his work all the way until the post-Portnoy era, but I think they could have gotten away with a replacement after FII. Honestly I totally agreed with MP that they needed a break after BC&SL, regardless if it was for his own reasons or if he truly felt like the band was burning out, as much as I loved and still love BC&SL, I also sensed the band was beginning to run out of fresh ideas musically.

I enjoy SC and BC&SL, but there's an overall 'sound' or 'essence' that went missing since Octavarium, and has only popped up in select, brief moments since.
Since MP left, the last 4 DT albums have more or less felt like JLB's solo albums with Mangini, but with JP and JR taking on the much of the writing.

While some may feel MP became stale and didn't keep improving his style and chops like JP, JM, and JR do, I think by keeping a consistent style, he kept the rest of the band grounded; whereas with Mangini, everything is very robotic, sometimes too technical with awkward flow and unnecessary-sounding time signature changes/added beats, and I've listened to plenty of prog rock. When he's just keeping a solid beat, it sounds uptight and not as relaxed like MP's style, and it doesn't help that I find a lot of the construction of newer DT songs to be of questionable quality, really just 'look at how many ridiculous things I can do in 30 seconds'... like, "OK, but is it something I'm going to want to listen to over and over for the rest of my life?"and I just don't care for the physical sound of Mangini's drum set, in studio and live, even on JLB's albums... Point is, I'm more excited about Terminal Velocity and LT3 than I was for the last few DT albums.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
Just wondering this as having MP on JP's album comes as a surprise. Since Suspended Animation came out in 2005 is there any chance that MP did the drum tracks before he left DT? JP has been working on his 2nd album for years and maybe the basic tracks were done and he just got around to finishing it now? It just seems odd to me that MP hasn't (unless I missed it) mentioned playing with JP "recently" as he is pretty much an open book and I haven't read anything from JP either detailing how it came to be that MP played on his new album.

I think it's great that they are playing together I was just wondering out loud.
You're not the only one wondering about that! My theory is that he played on it recently and that he's waiting for JP to come out with his own announcement/explanation of the lineup before he says something. But this is very possible. In fact, it's possible that JP reached out to him over keeping his drum tracks in, and that they started talking and that this is what lead to their recent friendlier-than-any-time-since-2010 relationship.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2020, 01:51:54 PM »

While some may feel MP became stale and didn't keep improving his style and chops like JP, JM, and JR do, I think by keeping a consistent style, he kept the rest of the band grounded; whereas with Mangini, everything is very robotic, sometimes too technical with awkward flow and unnecessary-sounding time signature changes/added beats, and I've listened to plenty of prog rock. When he's just keeping a solid beat, it sounds uptight and not as relaxed like MP's style, and it doesn't help that I find a lot of the construction of newer DT songs to be of questionable quality, really just 'look at how many ridiculous things I can do in 30 seconds'... like, "OK, but is it something I'm going to want to listen to over and over for the rest of my life?"and I just don't care for the physical sound of Mangini's drum set, in studio and live, even on JLB's albums... Point is, I'm more excited about Terminal Velocity and LT3 than I was for the last few DT albums.

I think I agree with this.  Some of the instrumental sections in Pale Blue Dot are like that for me, and the tickle section of Lost Not Forgotten is definitely like that for me.  I'd probably listen to Lost Not Forgotten a lot more often if that section had been left out of the song; it just takes me right out of the song nearly every time, and I find myself wanting to skip to something else before that section ends nearly every time I try to listen to it.  Not solely blaming Mangini for any of that, mind you, but I think his style makes the band more likely now to want to do sections that technically blow your hair back.  Not that that trait wasn't always part of their style, but Mangini's style, which I agree is a bit stiff and not as loose as Portnoy's, gives those sections more of a technical feel, like they're drifting off into Dance of Eternity land too often, which makes it harder for someone like me to connect to.  Take the instrumental section of Metropolis.  Even with the triggered snare on I&W, the section still manages to be a technical wonderland AND emotional at the same time, IMO, and I can't help but feel that if that had been a new song recorded by the band in the last 10 years, that section wouldn't be nearly as good (the loss of Moore would be critical as well in that regard).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »

You're not the only one wondering about that! My theory is that he played on it recently and that he's waiting for JP to come out with his own announcement/explanation of the lineup before he says something. But this is very possible. In fact, it's possible that JP reached out to him over keeping his drum tracks in, and that they started talking and that this is what lead to their recent friendlier-than-any-time-since-2010 relationship.

I don't think so. As I posted in the other JP thread, Marco Minnemann said he was originally asked by JP to tour and, eventually, record the new album back in 2012, which he turned down. So, no, I really doubt these things were already recorded pre-MP leaving DT. I just think JP asked Mike to record the album this year because: 1. they're good friends that go way back. 2. he was the original drummer for the JP solo band anyway. 3. It would definitely get a lot of fans excited (and it did).

Since MP left, the last 4 DT albums have more or less felt like JLB's solo albums with Mangini, but with JP and JR taking on the much of the writing.

This doesn't make any sense, and what does this even mean? Even Jordan said back in 2011 that he and JP have been the main writers of the band since he joined for SFAM, so the only big real difference between that era and the current one is that there's no MP influence on the writing or production. Actually, I'd say the last 4 albums sound way more like "DT" than everything from TOT to BC&SL.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
I’ve probably said this before but, for me personally, JP is the only irreplaceable member of Dream Theater. He’s the reason I came to them in the first place and is the main composer and lyricist in the band.  If he goes, it’s a different band.

Bass players and drummers are not soloists and are pretty replaceable without making a huge difference to the sound of the band.  There’s only two drummers off the top of my head that are very distinctive and have a big impact on the bands sound purely through drumming. They would be Neil Peart and Scott Rockenfield. I’m sure there are others but I don’t focus on the drums as much as some and these two give their respective band a unique sound.

It’s difficult to replace singers as they are really the most identifiable member of the band visually and sonically and James in particular has a hugely recognisable voice which in turn gives DT their own recognisable unique sound. When you hear JLB, you know instantly who it is.  Replacing him therefore would mean a big change in how the band sound.  He is not irreplaceable however and the reason I say that is his troublesome live performances. 

I have always been a staunch defender of JLB, my post history will tell you that.  For the first time however on this last tour, he completely ruined a show for me with, for a professional singer, an incredibly poor performance.  After going to every tour from FII onwards, I would now think twice before spending serious money to see them again and it’s purely due to JLB. By serious money, I mean concert tickets plus train tickets and staying in a hotel overnight, which I had to do for DOT/SFAM and it was basically a huge waste of money as I didn’t enjoy the concert at all. 

As fans, spending good money on tickets (DT aren’t cheap these days) we should not have to go to a show crossing our fingers that the singer has an ok night.  It’s the same with all recent tours with fans tracking them around the globe asking how James is sounding.  He has always been good at my shows but not this last one.  There’s no other band I go to see where I have that concern.  I’m not saying other singers hit every note, even Bruce Dickinson occasionally cracks going for high notes, but they always give at least a solid performance and most of the time are excellent.  I never go to a Maiden concert worried I won’t enjoy it if Bruce has an off night, I know I’ll get a great show.

If longtime fans like me (and I’m not alone) begin to stay away from your shows because the singer is unreliable, then maybe it is time to replace him especially as he is not important from a songwriting standpoint.  It’s not like losing Geoff Tate from Queensrÿche and your main songwriter has gone.

As for who I’d replace him with, I don’t know.  I think Brittney Slayes from Unleash The Archers is a phenomenal vocalist and could be really interesting to hear a female vocal in DT.  She is also very unique sounding but I’ve never heard her sing DT so I don’t know how well her voice would fit.  It would be difficult to replace him, they found it hard enough to find a singer in the first place but, unless he can find a way to put in a decent performance every night, I think they will continue to see some fans staying away.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2020, 06:02:50 PM »
Regarding JLB's vocals, I agree that they have gone downhill a lot live on the last few tours (based on the footage I have seen), but that is fixable if he would recognize his limitations and stop trying to do too much.   When I saw them on The Astonishing tour, he did a very good job for most of the show, but there were a handful of times where he tried to get all up there in the stratosphere (when it wasn't even like that on the album) and it didn't sound good.  I saw a few recent clips of him doing the Ayreon live show in 2015 and he sounded quite good in almost all of the clips I saw, and that is an album where it seems like most of his vocal parts were nothing crazy; very manageable and not difficult to sing live, and it occurs to me that he should still be able to pull that off live in Dream Theater concerts, if he would adjust and not try to do too much.  Just my two cents. 

And I say this as a big JLB fan - his voice was one of the two things that immediately grabbed me when I first heard the band, and he is still good enough in the studio where I'd hate to see him go.  The last few DT tours are just rough to watch any footage because of his vocals, though.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2020, 03:11:34 AM »
As I posted in the other JP thread, Marco Minnemann said he was originally asked by JP to tour and, eventually, record the new album back in 2012, which he turned down.
Ah, I had zero idea about that, thanks for correcting me.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2020, 05:48:16 AM »
Regarding JLB's vocals, I agree that they have gone downhill a lot live on the last few tours (based on the footage I have seen), but that is fixable if he would recognize his limitations and stop trying to do too much.   When I saw them on The Astonishing tour, he did a very good job for most of the show, but there were a handful of times where he tried to get all up there in the stratosphere (when it wasn't even like that on the album) and it didn't sound good.  I saw a few recent clips of him doing the Ayreon live show in 2015 and he sounded quite good in almost all of the clips I saw, and that is an album where it seems like most of his vocal parts were nothing crazy; very manageable and not difficult to sing live, and it occurs to me that he should still be able to pull that off live in Dream Theater concerts, if he would adjust and not try to do too much.  Just my two cents. 

And I say this as a big JLB fan - his voice was one of the two things that immediately grabbed me when I first heard the band, and he is still good enough in the studio where I'd hate to see him go.  The last few DT tours are just rough to watch any footage because of his vocals, though.

I agree with this, I’d ideally want JLB to stay but there comes a time with most singers where they have to accept they can’t sing how they used to and they adjust accordingly.  If James could do that and put in consistently good performances, I don’t think anyone would have a problem.  I’d rather that than they replace him as he is the voice of DT and one of the big reasons I love the band.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2020, 06:44:24 AM »
Labrie usually sounds tremendous in studio, however on Distance over Time was the first time on an actual studio album where *sometimes* the vocals were not up to scratch. There's still lots of excellent vocals there, but there's also some questionable stuff and digital effects/touch ups.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2020, 07:10:36 AM »
I am a rabid JLB fan, and as far as I'm concerned he's the majority share-holder of DT's sound.

I am aware father time is undefeated and, even though I've been so lucky to never have experienced a bad James' performance, I know the odds of that happening have increased in the last years.

Said that, for the way I'm wired, I'm totally fine to pay good concert money and have an artist who brought me joy for my whole adult life struggle with the material, while I will never give a cent to a band that dumps a brother after 30 years.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2020, 07:16:22 AM »
With each album the same singer sings for a band, his or her influence on the band's most recognizable aspect - the voice - grows esponentially, and a replacement becomes harder and harder.

James is on every album minus the debut, and has already more tenure and albums than MP. Love him, tolerate him or dislike him, he's the voice of DT.

Are there singers that can technically sing his songs? yes. Are there singers who could sing the kind of prog metal Petrucci and Rudess compose? yes. But after so many years with James, which is literally "their entire carrer except the debut", no one else would feel right in his shoes. A DT without James would be an entirely different entity, and a new singer would just be a random new guy that ferries the band up until the retirement.

If James go, I go. I would give a fair chance to an hypothetical new album, but if it's not the most minblowing and amazing thing we've heard since Octavarium (and I'm being generous, I need another SFAM to be kept into a James-less DT), I would quickly lose interest in the band.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2020, 07:33:19 AM »
With each album the same singer sings for a band, his or her influence on the band's most recognizable aspect - the voice - grows esponentially, and a replacement becomes harder and harder.

James is on every album minus the debut, and has already more tenure and albums than MP. Love him, tolerate him or dislike him, he's the voice of DT.

Are there singers that can technically sing his songs? yes. Are there singers who could sing the kind of prog metal Petrucci and Rudess compose? yes. But after so many years with James, which is literally "their entire carrer except the debut", no one else would feel right in his shoes. A DT without James would be an entirely different entity, and a new singer would just be a random new guy that ferries the band up until the retirement.

If James go, I go. I would give a fair chance to an hypothetical new album, but if it's not the most minblowing and amazing thing we've heard since Octavarium (and I'm being generous, I need another SFAM to be kept into a James-less DT), I would quickly lose interest in the band.

I agree with all of this.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »
JOHN PETRUCCI - TERMINAL VELOCITY

John Petrucci - Guitar
Dave LaRue - Bass
Mike Portnoy - Drums

TERMINAL VELOCITY
THE ODDFATHER
HAPPY SONG
GEMINI
OUT OF THE BLUE
GLASSY-EYED ZOMBIES
THE WAY THINGS FALL
SNAKE IN MY BOOT
TEMPLE OF CIRCADIA

Really happy to see Gemini in there. Even though I expected it, I'm glad it's confirmed. Also, not surprised to see Portnoy as the drummer. Hope this means we'll see JP and MP together on stage again.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2020, 03:21:21 PM »
Really happy to see Gemini in there. Even though I expected it, I'm glad it's confirmed. Also, not surprised to see Portnoy as the drummer. Hope this means we'll see JP and MP together on stage again.

I have little doubt that JP understands that the act of having MP record the drums and most likely go on tour with him on the select dates that he would tour......greatly increases sales on both fronts. He's no dummy....he knows people have been salavating at the mouth to see him and MP play together again. Pretty smart move on his part
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2020, 12:34:42 AM »
Honestly I'm pretty torn about JLB.
He is a perfect match for the band and if the singing wasn't good or fitting, the albums, even masterpieces like SFAM, couldn't have pleased that many people.
Now, I just wonder where is the limit between aging and adapting voice vs better change singer.
Is an album without the impressive voice range like an album without guitar solos ?
How important is the live aspect ? Saw them in february and even if I have been scared during the first two songs, the show went ok, voice wise. But I read many people complaining during I&W anniversary tour i.e.

Back to JP's album, I really wonder what we are getting...Both musicians evolved and tried things so they brought back stuff probably miles away from black clouds and silver linings :D
Hope it's groovy and emotionfull, at least somewhere between JP's first album and LTE :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2020, 06:09:34 AM »
On the JLB topic, both Indi's post and Mirror's are precisely in line with my thinking.  I got a great show on the DoT/SFAM tour (one of the last NA dates), but I&W/B was adequate at best.  It didn't hinder my enjoyment of that show, just was a bit bummed he A) couldn't hit the notes he once could, and B) tried to knowing he shouldn't.

a new singer would just be a random new guy that ferries the band up until the retirement.

Felt I had to re-quote this specifically.  I mean, how many more studio albums does DT have left in them?  2?  3?  I don't see them going on like the Rolling Stones, touring into their 80s.  Bringing in a new vocalist for the final chapter of their career would be a classless move, imo - unless it was James who decided to leave/retire.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2020, 06:12:07 AM »
Well Rudess is already almost 65. He probably has the easiest job in the band as far as stamina goes though.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2020, 06:34:15 AM »
Well Rudess is already almost 65. He probably has the easiest job in the band as far as stamina goes though.

And he looks very content and passionate as ever. People look at his age and half expect from him a retirement announcement anytime soon, but as you said he has not a demanding job, and looks very happy and passionate as music as ever, I can't see him considering stepping down from DT anytime soon.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2020, 07:13:57 AM »
Also it's 2020 - being 65 isn't what it used to be twenty five / thirty years ago.

He's probably as healthy and fit as a 50 year old.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2020, 10:34:45 AM »
a new singer would just be a random new guy that ferries the band up until the retirement.

Felt I had to re-quote this specifically.  I mean, how many more studio albums does DT have left in them?  2?  3?  I don't see them going on like the Rolling Stones, touring into their 80s.  Bringing in a new vocalist for the final chapter of their career would be a classless move, imo - unless it was James who decided to leave/retire.

I'd say they have, at least, another 10 years or more as a band. JP, who is the main man there, is just turning 53 this week, so I can imagine him still wanting to do this for a while. Whether all the current members last that much or not, I wouldn't be so sure, but JP (and JM maybe)? Definitely.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2020, 06:14:07 PM »
So I've always been a big believer that MP will never come back to DT unless MM leaves on his own accord or whatever. But interestingly, I think he might be trying to sneak his way back in - he recently said he's been hanging out with JM, and today he posted about I&W on instagram, tagging JP, DT, and JLB. It seems he could be trying to reach out to JLB and rekindle a relationship there. Now, obviously he could just be trying to reach out to an old friend and that's it. But, it's not too far fetched to think he might also be hoping something further happens. Obviously that doesn't mean the guys will kick out MM and take MP back, but it's possible that's a goal for him.

Not trying to feed in to the conspiracy theories or anything, but I thought it was an interesting development.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2020, 07:13:57 PM »
So I've always been a big believer that MP will never come back to DT unless MM leaves on his own accord or whatever. But interestingly, I think he might be trying to sneak his way back in - he recently said he's been hanging out with JM, and today he posted about I&W on instagram, tagging JP, DT, and JLB. It seems he could be trying to reach out to JLB and rekindle a relationship there. Now, obviously he could just be trying to reach out to an old friend and that's it. But, it's not too far fetched to think he might also be hoping something further happens. Obviously that doesn't mean the guys will kick out MM and take MP back, but it's possible that's a goal for him.

Not trying to feed in to the conspiracy theories or anything, but I thought it was an interesting development.

I wouldn't say he's actively trying to rejoin either, but I feel like he definitely wants it to happen (whether he realizes it or not). If things are getting better between him and the rest of the guys, I would happily welcome more interaction/crossover between them, but I would love to see him honor MM the way he's honored MP time and time again.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2020, 09:38:47 PM »

I wouldn't say he's actively trying to rejoin either, but I feel like he definitely wants it to happen (whether he realizes it or not). If things are getting better between him and the rest of the guys, I would happily welcome more interaction/crossover between them, but I would love to see him honor MM the way he's honored MP time and time again.

Him getting back with DT wouldn't just screw over MM, but it would screw over Derek....AGAIN  :lol

Poor Derek.  :'(

Offline Volante99

« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2020, 11:48:44 PM »
I would imagine just logistically bringing MP back on to DT would be a minefield. Is MP an owner of the DT “brand”? Is he relegated to “hired gun” status? In any event, it seems like lots of lawyers and conference calls would be involved and there would bound to be a breakdown somewhere.   

Also, while JP will always be the most “important” member of DT and most crucial to their overall sound, JLB is a big factor in what shapes DT’s sound. Unless JLB walks away 100% willingly, you might as well retire DT, honor the band’s legacy and start a new project.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2020, 07:18:54 AM »
My .02:

As I've continually said on here, I think the only way MP rejoins Dream Theater is if Mike Mangini CHOOSES to leave. Mangini is obviously well liked by all the guys in the band, and I don't think they would send him packing just because Portnoy may want back in.

I think the situation with JLB, whatever that is, could be resolved. Both he and MP both know their "fault" in whatever quarrel they have, and my guess is if MM decided to leave, and the rest of the band wanted MP back, JLB and MP would suck it up, and mend fences.

I know the natural tendency is to assume MP wants or is working toward a reunion with DT. Maybe he is. I happen to think MP has wanted back in from the very start and still does. But Petrucci strikes me as a rational and very intelligent guy, and he probably set some boundaries with MP about all the questions they'll receive about MP's solo album (and eventually LTE) when they talk to the media about the projects.

I just don't believe Dream Theater would boot MM at all. They have a great chemistry. It would be MM feeling like he wanted to do something else, or if he is hounded by the specter of MP and just wants it over with. But that ghost has been flying over MM since the beginning, and he hasn't left yet, so I really doubt he'll leave now.

As a fan, I'm just thankful that MP and JP are working together again, and eventually, MP, JP, and JR will reunite for LTE. As for DT, yeah, I'd love to see MP back with DT (I like what MM has done with them, I'm just partial to getting original guys back). But I really don't think it'll happen without MM deciding to leave on his own accord.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2020, 07:29:50 AM »
I think the situation with JLB, whatever that is, could be resolved. Both he and MP both know their "fault" in whatever quarrel they have, and my guess is if MM decided to leave, and the rest of the band wanted MP back, JLB and MP would suck it up, and mend fences.

In a sense they both have to know they'd have to do it. MP would shoot himself in the foot if he would ask them to consider a singer change upon his returning (or refusing to return unless James goes), and James could always put the foot down and threaten to walk away, but to do what? he's seen the attendance his solo carrer brings, and he's too much of a big name to join permanently another band. He could live off of solo albums and guest apperances for the rest of his carrer, but if even Bruce Dickinson alone couldn't pull the Maiden crowds when he was out of the band, definitively James won't tour nowhere near the places DT reach as a solo artist.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2020, 08:29:07 AM »
I know this is all speculation and just talk to pass the time between now and the release of the album, but I just have to say that I think the chances of a lineup change in DT before the band decides to call it a career is basically none.  The only way I think it could happen is if one member decides to retire before the rest or there is an unfortunate accident or major health issue.  Other than that, it isn't going to happen.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2020, 08:31:59 AM »
I think if any one of DT leaves or is unable to play - then that is the end of the band.

I can't see them committing to a brand new member this late in the game.