Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52678 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2020, 05:59:00 PM »
haha, The Oddfather :D (thanks for a much-needed laugh JP)
(although having Porty on it is a deal-breaker for me, why not MM? Seriously. As long as he won't ever rejoin DT...And yes, I'm sure quite a few of us here welcome MP's involvement on the album. Carry on then.)

Not sure that I’m reading this correctly. Are you saying that you won’t listen to John Petrucci’s instrumental solo guitar record purely because you don’t like the drummer.  Is it that important who the other musicians are? Most people buying this are buying it to hear Petrucci play guitar surely.

That being said, for long time fans of Dream Theater, it’s cool to see Petrucci and Portnoy playing together again.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2020, 06:35:42 PM »
I'm glad to see JP and MP back working together.  I just feel awkward thinking about the conversation with MM -  "don't worry , we have no intention..............."    In MM's shoes my mind would immediately wander to all the people who have heard the same line in the past.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2020, 08:18:34 PM »
Unless Mangini chooses to leave for his own reasons, I don't see how this collaboration changes the odds of MP returning.

JP chose a non-DT drummer for his first solo album. He did the same thing here, albeit a non-current DT member.

So at the very least I don't think MM is bummed that he didn't get the gig because he wasn't expecting to.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2020, 05:15:33 AM »
(although having Porty on it is a deal-breaker for me, why not MM? Seriously. As long as he won't ever rejoin DT...And yes, I'm sure quite a few of us here welcome MP's involvement on the album. Carry on then.)

I think your views on Portnoy are clear without referring to him pejoratively. You've done it a number of times now. It's a bit unnecessary, isn't it?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2020, 09:15:55 AM »

I think your views on Portnoy are clear without referring to him pejoratively. You've done it a number of times now. It's a bit unnecessary, isn't it?
I agree. (since you bolded my version of a nickname for him: it's just a way for me to distinguish him from Mike Mangini that doesn't use their respective initials, along with it being a reference to Peeves calling Harry Potter Potty and I always misuderstood that as being Porty as a child when I first read these books. That's all. Yes I do have humour. An ounce. A slightly weird sense of humour, I'll gladly give you that.) If anyone here loves MP's (see, now you can't call me out on it anymore :D ) involvement, cool. Go ahead. I'm not adamant about stifling anyone's joy. Sorry if I did. Carry on.  There is one thing I'd like to mention though: I didn't think he would be involved. I don't know why, but I was as surprised about it as quite a few of us here.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:22:08 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
I'm so glad he picked MP for this and by no means does that diminish what MM could've brought to the table.  They are both amazing drummers, but I'm just really happy to see that JP and MP are working together again on this project.  I can't wait. :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2020, 09:29:54 AM »

Not sure that I’m reading this correctly. Are you saying that you won’t listen to John Petrucci’s instrumental solo guitar record purely because you don’t like the drummer.  Is it that important who the other musicians are? Most people buying this are buying it to hear Petrucci play guitar surely.

That being said, for long time fans of Dream Theater, it’s cool to see Petrucci and Portnoy playing together again.
not entirely. I don't like MP as a person (I met him as a child and that wasn't something I'll ever remember fondly. I will not go into any gory details. Ever since I met him, I found it hard to listen to his playing. ) and as a player (anymore,as mentioned here. He had been a hero of mine up to that point, aged ten. As was MM, for a longer period of time already though. Even then.) That being said though, I always respected JP and I'm sure he's written some good things for the album and I probably will listen to it once it lands on Youtube. It's highly unlikely that I'll actually *buy* the album though and I'm sure MM would have been a more musical choice of player. (or Simon Phillips for that matter as well). Then again, I may be wrong about the latter part of my assumption, and I'll gladly accept to be proven wrong.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2020, 09:55:27 AM »
I kind of thought that MP would be the choice. With all this talk about LTE doing something together it seemed like it would open the door for another collaboration for JP and MP.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2020, 05:01:50 PM »
Has anyone considered JP asked MM first and MM turned him down since he's busy working on his own solo album right now?
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2020, 05:04:12 PM »

not entirely. I don't like MP as a person (I met him as a child and that wasn't something I'll ever remember fondly. I will not go into any gory details. Ever since I met him, I found it hard to listen to his playing. ) and as a player (anymore,as mentioned here. He had been a hero of mine up to that point, aged ten. As was MM, for a longer period of time already though. Even then.) That being said though, I always respected JP and I'm sure he's written some good things for the album and I probably will listen to it once it lands on Youtube. It's highly unlikely that I'll actually *buy* the album though and I'm sure MM would have been a more musical choice of player. (or Simon Phillips for that matter as well). Then again, I may be wrong about the latter part of my assumption, and I'll gladly accept to be proven wrong.

Ok, that explains things a little and why you wouldn’t wish to support his projects.  I would guess he’s just a hired hand on this though so you wouldn’t really be putting money in his pocket.  I do get though that, if you met someone in real life and had a bad experience, it could affect your enjoyment of their work.  I just tend to class this as JP’s record and Portnoy is just a backing musician.

I will admit that it does excite me a little to see them playing together again just for nostalgic reasons even if it’s probably not a full on collaboration.  I can see why you may feel differently though.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2020, 05:25:57 PM »

Ok, that explains things a little and why you wouldn’t wish to support his projects.  I would guess he’s just a hired hand on this though so you wouldn’t really be putting money in his pocket.  I do get though that, if you met someone in real life and had a bad experience, it could affect your enjoyment of their work.  I just tend to class this as JP’s record and Portnoy is just a backing musician.

I will admit that it does excite me a little to see them playing together again just for nostalgic reasons even if it’s probably not a full on collaboration.  I can see why you may feel differently though.
and this is also exactly why I only listen to MM era DT ever since he came on board, not just because I like MM a lot more as a player, but also because our guys have been a lot tighter and precise as a unit (almost machined. What a relief IMHO. My first reaction after listening to ADTOE for the first time was: Finally they're sounding as good as they ever wanted.)  If anyone here still likes what MP does, fine, go ahead. I had to make that drastic choice for me personally because of my experiences with MP and it was best for everyone involved. (Porty being at peace outside of DT I guess and our guys finally going from strength to strength musically and pushing the envelope more than ever since 2011) 

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2020, 05:30:27 PM »

and this is also exactly why I only listen to MM era DT ever since he came on board, not just because I like MM a lot more as a player, but also because our guys have been a lot tighter and precise as a unit (almost machined. What a relief IMHO)  If anyone here still likes what MP does, fine, go ahead. I had to make that drastic choice for me personally and I'm relieved about it.
Let's pretend for a second MP actually did end up back in DT. Would he play MM era songs? Would he start playing live to a click? Or would DT allow their stage production to go back to being shit to appease him? Would he seize control of everything again? Would the guys go out of their way to prevent him from being able to have so much control? I think there are too many touchy subjects for them to even consider letting him back in without having to sit him down and have an "intervention" style meeting. And if they did that, I don't know how MP would react to that kind of thing but I can't imagine it would be extremely positively.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »
Unless Mangini chooses to leave for his own reasons, I don't see how this collaboration changes the odds of MP returning.

Yeah, I really don't see why this would even spark a debate.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2020, 08:11:50 PM »
Let's pretend for a second MP actually did end up back in DT. Would he play MM era songs? Would he start playing live to a click? Or would DT allow their stage production to go back to being shit to appease him? Would he seize control of everything again? Would the guys go out of their way to prevent him from being able to have so much control? I think there are too many touchy subjects for them to even consider letting him back in without having to sit him down and have an "intervention" style meeting. And if they did that, I don't know how MP would react to that kind of thing but I can't imagine it would be extremely positively.
*If* that were to ever happen, it goes without saying that there would have to be a lot of discussion over how things would be regarding all those things that you presented - and more. Keep in mind that basically JP runs the show now - I don't really believe that all 4 guys ended up equally dividing the tasks MP used to do all on his own - could be wrong, but when you consider what happened with Ytsejam Records, which JL was going to oversee, you can see why I question how much everyone else is involved). I'm sure that while JP enjoys certain aspects of overseeing all the band's operations, he'd be more than happy to cede power to a good portion of it to MP, since MP does have a good pulse on things. But there would be other things that would probably take more time to work out, such as whether to do rotating setlists. I can imagine MP being willing to play MM-era songs, but I think he'd fight tooth and nail to avoid playing to a click track live or using taped backing vocals.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2020, 09:46:11 PM »
I’m curious as to how much freedom MP had with his drumming? This was most likely written/recorded in the lockdown so I’m guessing there wasn’t a lot of in person collaboration. I’m wondering if it was like when MM joined the band where JP had already pretty much had the drum parts ‘figured’ out but was then free to add his flare and style.

Wonder if JP did the same here?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Volante99

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2020, 10:18:08 PM »
I’m curious as to how much freedom MP had with his drumming? This was most likely written/recorded in the lockdown so I’m guessing there wasn’t a lot of in person collaboration. I’m wondering if it was like when MM joined the band where JP had already pretty much had the drum parts ‘figured’ out but was then free to add his flare and style.

My money is on Petrucci having most of the beats laid out with Portnoy adding his own flair here and there with not a ton of collab, similar to ADTOE.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2020, 10:58:57 PM »

My money is on Petrucci having most of the beats laid out with Portnoy adding his own flair here and there with not a ton of collab, similar to ADTOE.

Yep, this is definitely NOT a collaboration, it's JP all the way.

I'm wondering if the "fans" will be ripping MP like they were MM on ADToE saying things like JP wrote all the drum parts and what-not or if they'll be saying how great and refreshing MP's playing is.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2020, 11:09:17 PM »
While I would love MM to be on this because he always worked well in guitar albums (Vai, Into The Great Divide, Sal Difusco), he seems to be enjoying teaching drum lessons based on his social media posts.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2020, 12:41:12 AM »

I'm wondering if the "fans" will be ripping MP like they were MM on ADToE saying things like JP wrote all the drum parts and what-not or if they'll be saying how great and refreshing MP's playing is.

Well they will be saying about the drums sound and how much better it is than MM's "robotic" one. And unfortunately (for MM ) they will probably be right.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2020, 12:58:22 AM »

Yep. With the combination of this and what he did on Suspended Animation, I really wouldn't expect too much external input on the drum parts. Just remember that on his solo debut, JP used Dave DiCenso, who's a drummer who excels at playing funk and fusion and has truly insane chops...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_81IomgGEY
..., and yet the result was barely distinguishable from a good-sounding drum machine.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2020, 03:46:41 AM »

I agree. (since you bolded my version of a nickname for him: it's just a way for me to distinguish him from Mike Mangini that doesn't use their respective initials, along with it being a reference to Peeves calling Harry Potter Potty and I always misuderstood that as being Porty as a child when I first read these books. That's all. Yes I do have humour. An ounce. A slightly weird sense of humour, I'll gladly give you that.) If anyone here loves MP's (see, now you can't call me out on it anymore :D ) involvement, cool. Go ahead. I'm not adamant about stifling anyone's joy. Sorry if I did. Carry on.  There is one thing I'd like to mention though: I didn't think he would be involved. I don't know why, but I was as surprised about it as quite a few of us here.

Well, you don't have to call him names. You could just follow standard convention and refer to him as 'Portnoy'.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2020, 04:09:58 AM »
*If* that were to ever happen, it goes without saying that there would have to be a lot of discussion over how things would be regarding all those things that you presented - and more. Keep in mind that basically JP runs the show now - I don't really believe that all 4 guys ended up equally dividing the tasks MP used to do all on his own - could be wrong, but when you consider what happened with Ytsejam Records, which JL was going to oversee, you can see why I question how much everyone else is involved). I'm sure that while JP enjoys certain aspects of overseeing all the band's operations, he'd be more than happy to cede power to a good portion of it to MP, since MP does have a good pulse on things. But there would be other things that would probably take more time to work out, such as whether to do rotating setlists. I can imagine MP being willing to play MM-era songs, but I think he'd fight tooth and nail to avoid playing to a click track live or using taped backing vocals.

Agree with pretty much all of this. There would definitely have to be a sit down between them all to see how they would want to proceed if a reunion was a possibility (and there’s nothing yet to suggest it is).  I would strongly suspect though that they’d be fairly happy for MP to take back a lot of the responsibilities that he had just by the fact that they were happy to let him do it all before.  By this I mean the non-music stuff like fan interaction, bootlegs, t-shirts, album art, arranging live albums/dvds.  I think that JP has seemed to enjoy doing some of the promotional stuff though, interviews and stuff so he may like to be more involved in that than he was before Mike left.

I don’t agree that their live show was shit before, I always loved seeing DT live, they’ve always sounded great and their shows really started to look more slick and professional from TOT onwards.  That being said, I’m not sure if they’d want to let Mike go crazy with rotating set lists and doing covers of full albums like he used to.  It was a lot of work and maybe, at their age, they’re happier just having a settled show rather than constantly having to rehearse stuff on the fly to change up the set.  We don’t really know though.

The big test would be when it came to making music. Would JP let Mike back on as a producer, would he have as much control in the writing and recording process.  That would be where there may be some issues for me. A LTE album may iron some of those issues out and allow JP, JR and MP to write together again to see if they can co-exist or whether that relationship has shifted to a point where it doesn’t work anymore.  For example will they resent it if he tries to take over the recording, will he resent it if he’s not given as much control as before.  It would be an interesting and fairly risk free trial run to see whether DT can work.  I think LTE would be a much bigger step towards a DT reunion than a JP solo album where Mike is just a JP employee.

All of this is just speculation though, things seem to be very harmonious at the moment with Mangini in the camp so this may all just be a way of them continuing a working relationship with their longtime friend whilst keeping DT as it is.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2020, 04:20:46 AM »
A LTE album may iron some of those issues out and allow JP, JR and MP to write together again to see if they can co-exist or whether that relationship has shifted to a point where it doesn’t work anymore.  For example will they resent it if he tries to take over the recording, will he resent it if he’s not given as much control as before.  It would be an interesting and fairly risk free trial run to see whether DT can work.  I think LTE would be a much bigger step towards a DT reunion than a JP solo album where Mike is just a JP employee.

Oh yeah, I agree with this.

A productive LTE 3 experience would not mean in any way that a reunion would be possible, it would just be a pre-requisite to even consider it - but a bad LTE 3 experience would be the final nail in the coffin about a potential reunion, assuming that's a coffin that even needs further nails anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2020, 04:29:41 AM »
Damnit! Ever since the auditions,  in all these threads, I still read the initials MM as Marco Minnemann.  :facepalm:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2020, 05:06:40 AM »
There would definitely have to be a sit down between them all to see how they would want to proceed if a reunion was a possibility (and there’s nothing yet to suggest it is).  I would strongly suspect though that they’d be fairly happy for MP to take back a lot of the responsibilities that he had just by the fact that they were happy to let him do it all before.
Yes, we have to take into consideration that the band was happily trucking along before MP rocked the boat. From what MP has said, a few personal relationships were kind of strained, but they could have been fixed instead of nuked. I don't think any of this would be an issue, they would be able to work everything out, because everything was working before, as you said. People often cite JLB's statements on the issue of his relationship with MP, but given the right incentive (keeping the band afloat and healthy), I don't doubt he'd happily make up with MP and go back to a semi-friendly professional relationship with him at the least.

The reason why people are speculating about this is because previously, DT have shown over and over again they would absolutely fire or not keep working with a guy they like, just so they could get the guy they really want. I think they've changed since these days, and that they wouldn't just fire MM in favor of MP. But there's the second problem, in that we don't know exactly how satisfied MM is with being in the band, all things considered. He's just hard to read, but he does let on that the extremely personal and particular criticism of him is bothering him, even in more recent interviews. I personally think he's happy, and that MP has a very small chance of rejoining the band in the next five years or so. But I understand why people are talking.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2020, 07:01:53 AM »
Reunion?

I think the main dissenting voice (I know - irony) would be JLB and therefore I don't think it happens.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2020, 07:18:27 AM »
The reason why people are speculating about this is because previously, DT have shown over and over again they would absolutely fire or not keep working with a guy they like, just so they could get the guy they really want.

Over and over again? them firing Derek over Jordan hardly qualifies as a multiple occourence  ;D

I don't group in this letting Dominici go because they didn't fire him over James, they just decided they wanted someone else - and according to MP, they knew right from the start it wouldn't last - and it took them one year to find the right person.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2020, 08:01:40 AM »
The reason why people are speculating about this is because previously, DT have shown over and over again they would absolutely fire or not keep working with a guy they like, just so they could get the guy they really want.

Over and over again? them firing Derek over Jordan hardly qualifies as a multiple occourence  ;D

I don't group in this letting Dominici go because they didn't fire him over James, they just decided they wanted someone else - and according to MP, they knew right from the start it wouldn't last - and it took them one year to find the right person.
Jens Johansson said they practically had an agreement that he would join the band before they dropped him, then there was the business with all the singers they auditioned before James, some of which came really close to joining. Of course, that doesn't count as firing someone, but their quickness in dropping contact with band members and potential band members in not the most elegant ways is what I was talking about.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2020, 08:26:08 AM »
Wow! when that Jens Johansson thing happened? back when Kevin Moore left or in 2010 after Portnoy left?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2020, 08:57:52 AM »
Wow! when that Jens Johansson thing happened? back when Kevin Moore left or in 2010 after Portnoy left?
When MP left in 2010? Not sure how this could even factor in. The keyboard slot wasn't up for grabs at that point in the band's history.  :lol

It was when KM first left the band, before JR was chosen to do the Concrete Forums gig in LA. Initially, JJ was given the impression - I think more by management than the band themselves - that the gig was his for the taking, and that there were just some formalities. But by the time he met up with them, JR had come onto the band's radar, and the meeting became an audition, where JR was ultimately chosen for the Concrete Forums gig and (potentially) beyond.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »
When MP left in 2010? Not sure how this could even factor in. The keyboard slot wasn't up for grabs at that point in the band's history.  :lol

Yeah, that was totally a brain fart on my part, I don't know what possessed me to post that  :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2020, 03:43:30 PM »
JOHN PETRUCCI - TERMINAL VELOCITY

John Petrucci - Guitar
Dave LaRue - Bass
Mike Portnoy - Drums

TERMINAL VELOCITY
THE ODDFATHER
HAPPY SONG
GEMINI
OUT OF THE BLUE
GLASSY-EYED ZOMBIES
THE WAY THINGS FALL
SNAKE IN MY BOOT
TEMPLE OF CIRCADIA

Was going to get this eventually anyway. But it might have to be a priority now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2020, 03:58:11 PM »

I don't really believe in the equal division of tasks either.  ...Mostly because John Myung wants to stay as far away from much of it as possible. That's just him though. It was never going to happen. The rest of them may have had good intentions until they realized what was actually involved in the the way Mike was able to run all of those things.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2020, 05:52:31 PM »
Reunion?

I think the main dissenting voice (I know - irony) would be JLB and therefore I don't think it happens.

Of course this is just nonsense talk and pure speculation to a certain degree, but just for the fun of it: could it be possible to see an scenario where MP rejoins DT and James leaves because of it? (not saying I want this to happen or anything similar, but it's interesting to think about this).

If, for whatever reason, JP and JR (or even JM) felt so strongly about wanting to have Mike back and James wouldn't take that at all, what are the cances of him leaving, and maybe even forming another band with Mangini? Things would go crazy here, that's for sure :biggrin:

And this would be more suited for the Controversial Opinions thread, but I still think another lineup change would be really interesting (though not necessarily another drummer change).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2020, 06:22:31 PM »
Reunion?

Of course this is just nonsense talk and pure speculation to a certain degree, but just for the fun of it: could it be possible to see an scenario where MP rejoins DT and James leaves because of it? (not saying I want this to happen or anything similar, but it's interesting to think about this).

If, for whatever reason, JP and JR (or even JM) felt so strongly about wanting to have Mike back and James wouldn't take that at all, what are the cances of him leaving, and maybe even forming another band with Mangini? Things would go crazy here, that's for sure :biggrin:

And this would be more suited for the Controversial Opinions thread, but I still think another lineup change would be really interesting (though not necessarily another drummer change).

If that happened, I would probably stop listening to any new DT albums.  In my view, Labrie is essential to their sound.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"