Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52688 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #385 on: November 01, 2020, 06:28:34 PM »
I ordered a physical copy because it was going to come signed by JP, and then forgot all about that until I got my shipping notification on Friday :lol Album should be here sometime next week, but I've had the digital version since August.
Photobucket sucks.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: November 03, 2020, 03:10:07 PM »
I got my signed vinyl yesterday and I haven't listened to it yet but I loved the packaging and the colored records. I'll probably give them a spin tomorrow.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #387 on: November 03, 2020, 03:38:48 PM »
Out today in physical format.
Anyone picking it up?

Arrived yesterday, been listening to it digitally for months but nice to be able to spin it without headphones on my stereo.  Slightly disappointed in packaging and the lack of an inlay in particular but unfortunately it’s par for the course with a lot of cd’s now. Just put it out in as cheap a way as possible in a cardboard case.  Still really enjoying the actual music though.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #388 on: November 03, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »
I pre-ordered on Amazon and had the option to download the mp3's which I did. I should be getting the CD in the mail soon provided we still have a postal service.

OK - got the CD yesterday.

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #389 on: November 06, 2020, 12:33:50 AM »
Love the new album!
A highlight for me is the Latin part in Gemini.

A little off topic, but what guitar solos would you say JP struggles with the most live?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: November 06, 2020, 05:39:44 AM »
Overall? I'm not sure but I saw a guitar clinic with him way back in the day during the summer 2003 tour and he said depending on the tempo of Glass Prison he'd struggle with the opening solo. I also saw in a interview a while back that the Blind Faith solo will give him trouble live.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #391 on: November 06, 2020, 06:34:48 PM »
Overall? I'm not sure but I saw a guitar clinic with him way back in the day during the summer 2003 tour and he said depending on the tempo of Glass Prison he'd struggle with the opening solo. I also saw in a interview a while back that the Blind Faith solo will give him trouble live.

Haha, I just saw this after my reply about tempo and clicks in the other thread.

And sometimes MP would be speeding it up, making it a bit difficult for JPs playing to be tight.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: November 07, 2020, 07:16:42 AM »
Yea the discussion at the clinic was whether he swept the Glass Prison solo or alternate picked it, he said it was alt picked on the album and he'll alt pick it live unless the tempo is faster than normal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: November 09, 2020, 06:08:20 PM »
I haven't heard this album yet.  Might order a cd copy.  I could read through the thread, but after it's been out a while, how does it stack up against SA?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #394 on: November 09, 2020, 06:35:58 PM »
I personally think that it is much better than SA, and that's saying a lot.  It shows how much JP has evolved oh his approach to the guitar.  His tones are also amazing on TV.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: November 09, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »
I personally think that it is much better than SA, and that's saying a lot.  It shows how much JP has evolved oh his approach to the guitar.  His tones are also amazing on TV.

Thanks mate.  That is saying a lot as SA was excellent.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #396 on: November 12, 2020, 01:01:49 PM »
I’d agree with that, much better imo. It’s some of Petrucci’s best playing in a long time, didn’t think he still had this in him.  Plus him and Portnoy just works, it’s the best I’ve heard Portnoy sound in a long time too.  Way exceeded my expectations.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: November 12, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »
I’d agree with that, much better imo. It’s some of Petrucci’s best playing in a long time, didn’t think he still had this in him.  Plus him and Portnoy just works, it’s the best I’ve heard Portnoy sound in a long time too.  Way exceeded my expectations.

Where I first tried to order it from was out of stock.  Will go through and order a physical copy next week I think.  Thanks lads.  This is no surprise as DOT was a big step up in his playing for a number of years IMO.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #398 on: November 13, 2020, 09:54:26 AM »
Not a huge fan of metal instrumental music (unless it leads into a great track with vocals) so I wasn't too psyched to listen to this.

It's really good though. Don't have much more to say than that.

Except...

Temple of Circadia is AWESOME. It honestly sounds like a mix of riffs from SC, ADTOE, and DoT...my three favorite DT records. I feel the second half of the album is stronger than the first which is rare for any album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #399 on: November 14, 2020, 08:34:03 AM »
Not a huge fan of metal instrumental music (unless it leads into a great track with vocals) so I wasn't too psyched to listen to this.

Agreed. I am generally not a fan of instrumental albums in the guitar hero style (for lack of a better term), but this one is quite good.  Happy Song can't help but put you in a good mood, and I love the EVH feel in his playing in Snake in My Boot.  Portnoy's drumming is great on this as well.   Out of the Blue, to me, is the only misstep as it felt like it could have been this really cool bluesy tune, but it's almost like JP couldn't help himself and just had to shred and prog it up a little, and the song suffered as a result. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #400 on: November 14, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »
I'm glad he gradually started shredding out of the blues in that song. It's like being stuck in the blues mode bubble, but slowly shredding your way out to better happier days. The clouds have parted and the sun breaks forth.  🎶🌞😎
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline darkshade

« Reply #401 on: November 14, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »
I don't listen to guitar albums by guys like Vai or Satriani at all, but I love both of JP's albums. Having Portnoy on Terminal Velocity gives it more of an LTE vibe at times. I think I like this new album more than most of modern DT is because none of it sounds forced to me. It's got that fun aspect that's been missing in a lot of DT albums since probably Train of Thought.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #402 on: November 14, 2020, 11:30:19 AM »

Agreed. I am generally not a fan of instrumental albums in the guitar hero style (for lack of a better term), but this one is quite good.  Happy Song can't help but put you in a good mood, and I love the EVH feel in his playing in Snake in My Boot.  Portnoy's drumming is great on this as well.   Out of the Blue, to me, is the only misstep as it felt like it could have been this really cool bluesy tune, but it's almost like JP couldn't help himself and just had to shred and prog it up a little, and the song suffered as a result.

Out of the Blue a misstep? Simply because it didn't stick to the blues formula and JP progging it up a bit??? I for one like what he did and thought it rather unique and I think it added to the song. Calling it a misstep is well - a misstep.  ;D

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #403 on: November 15, 2020, 04:09:15 AM »
I don't listen to guitar albums by guys like Vai or Satriani at all, but I love both of JP's albums. Having Portnoy on Terminal Velocity gives it more of an LTE vibe at times. I think I like this new album more than most of modern DT is because none of it sounds forced to me. It's got that fun aspect that's been missing in a lot of DT albums since probably Train of Thought.

Well i think you kind of have a point here.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #404 on: November 15, 2020, 10:03:25 AM »

Well i think you kind of have a point here.

LOL - it only took 15 years for JP to make this solo album - of course it would seem unforced!!  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #405 on: November 15, 2020, 10:03:57 AM »
I pre ordered Terminal Velocity over a month ago from my local record store. It was supposed to be here Yesterday (Saturday 14th)..  The record store owner called me and said it got delayed because of Veterans day. Now I have to wait another week for the CD since he's only open on Saturdays.
Is it really getting this hard to order these things nowadays?   It used to take a week at the most, now it seems to take a month or more. Even when I order stuff on-line..  ???

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #406 on: November 15, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »

Out of the Blue a misstep? Simply because it didn't stick to the blues formula and JP progging it up a bit??? I for one like what he did and thought it rather unique and I think it added to the song. Calling it a misstep is well - a misstep.  ;D

To each their own.  :coolio

The Oddfather and Gemini both pretty bad ass.  I meant to mention that in my initial post on the album yesterday.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: December 16, 2020, 07:12:54 PM »
Had a listen to the first couple of songs, solid.  Happy Song was a pleasant surprise.  That main melody is a blatant mix of Octavarium and Duran Durans Ordinary World haha.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #408 on: December 17, 2020, 01:37:16 AM »
  Happy Song was a pleasant surprise.  That main melody is a blatant mix of Octavarium and Duran Durans Ordinary World haha.
Wow, good catch on the Octavarium melody!  I would have never caught on to that since it's  played in such a different context.  I wonder if JP even knows that, or perhaps he's just being influenced by himself and doesn't realize it..  :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2020, 01:39:34 AM »
Wait, there's Octavarium melody in Happy song?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2020, 05:48:51 AM »

At 58 seconds that melody reminds me of it.  Talking about the main keyboard theme at around 3:50.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2020, 08:41:42 AM »
  Happy Song was a pleasant surprise.  That main melody is a blatant mix of Octavarium and Duran Durans Ordinary World haha.
Wow, good catch on the Octavarium melody!  I would have never caught on to that since it's  played in such a different context.  I wonder if JP even knows that, or perhaps he's just being influenced by himself and doesn't realize it..  :lol

He did say in the interview I did with him that he was demoing something for this album and ended up playing the EXACT notes of one DT song, so this could be it. I didn't follow up his statement with "which song" because I only had 20 minutes and a lot of other questions, but I'm still curious about it!!!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #412 on: December 17, 2020, 09:00:47 AM »

At 58 seconds that melody reminds me of it.  Talking about the main keyboard theme at around 3:50.

To be clear - you mean the 58 seconds into the Happy Song and 3:50 in OV8 - correct?

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #413 on: December 17, 2020, 09:24:55 AM »
Did you say 5 and 8......? NUGGETZ

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #414 on: December 17, 2020, 10:07:10 AM »
Just spun this for the first time in a few months.  A lot more enjoyable than I remember it being.  Might be a Top 10 AOTY.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #415 on: December 17, 2020, 10:11:39 AM »

Wow, I never noticed that before :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #416 on: December 17, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
OK - I can see why the comparison is made although my ears hear slightly different notes. To me it's the old Stairway to Heaven vs. Spirit conversation.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #417 on: December 17, 2020, 10:39:57 AM »

Jordan plays that on a Steele  guitar..  ;)
You'll also hear this same melody sprinkled throughout "The Answer Lies Within".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: December 17, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »

To be clear - you mean the 58 seconds into the Happy Song and 3:50 in OV8 - correct?

Yes.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #419 on: December 17, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »

Yes.

And Happy Song is the 3rd song on TV!!!!!!! WHAAAAAT?!?!?!?