Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52771 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2020, 08:59:12 AM »
I missed a little bit of oomph in the bass throughout the album, but listen closely and you can definitely hear Dave LaRue's distinguished bass lines. And you're right, this is Petrucci's solo album, first and foremost.

Offline tuto

« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »
The album is streaming now in my neck of the woods. And holy shit is Happy Song even BETTER than when I saw it performed live😍!

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2020, 11:47:54 AM »
My review was published today: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/john-petrucci-terminal-velocity/

Great review - eloquently written, and good insights into the musical landscape of the album. Best reivew of the album so far!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #248 on: August 27, 2020, 12:38:32 PM »
Thank you so much!!!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #250 on: August 27, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
Only on song 2 but there is an undeniable chemistry between JP and MP.  Insanely good playing from both and the best I’ve heard MP sound in ages.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #251 on: August 27, 2020, 09:55:28 PM »
Gemini -- just wow

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #252 on: August 27, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
OMG... :lol...When Sum 41 meets Satriani is the perfect description for Happy Song. And Happy Song is the perfect description for the way the song makes me feel.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline V_R11

« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2020, 02:46:11 AM »
Like almost always with JP, I like this album more the more I listen to it...I personally think SA had more "storytelling", though. Not that that's what a solo album HAS to be about

Temple of Circadia had such a "DT opening riff"-vibe I was half expecting James to start singing :lol
Seasons change and so can I

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2020, 03:27:39 AM »
The album sounds Great! Really enjoying Gemini and Out of the Blue.

It appears as though that JP stated that the band is getting together this fall to start writing DT15. He said so in yesterday's interview with Ola Englund.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2020, 05:27:02 AM »
Yeah the next Dream Theater album needs to sound like this.

Imagine how amazing a comeback it would have been if A Dramatic Turn of Events had this production.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2020, 07:06:04 AM »
Only have one full spin and currently on spin two but I’ll just say this is some fantastic stuff! JP is incredible and IMO outside of SOAD this is MP’s best sounding output since he left DT.....he sounds great.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2020, 07:09:58 AM »
Only have one full spin and currently on spin two but I’ll just say this is some fantastic stuff! JP is incredible and IMO outside of SOAD this is MP’s best sounding output since he left DT.....he sounds great.
the only irony about your opinion is that MP (see, I didn't use my usual mode of reference to him to not annoy some social justice warriors here :D ) never was with System Of A Down. (although he might have had some Chop Suey while he held down his job delivering Chinese food before WDADU was released)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2020, 07:55:14 AM »
the only irony about your opinion is that MP (see, I didn't use my usual mode of reference to him to not annoy some social justice warriors here :D ) never was with System Of A Down. (although he might have had some Chop Suey while he held down his job delivering Chinese food before WDADU was released)

Similitude of A Dream.....The Neal Morse Band

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #259 on: August 28, 2020, 07:57:32 AM »

Similitude of A Dream.....The Neal Morse Band
aah right hehe, see that's the problem with acronyms, you can be so used to what you think is the most obvious meaning
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2020, 08:21:35 AM »
Loving TV and surpasses Suspended Animation. Shit, I miss MP's drumming with DT. Those little cymbal nuances and octaban use is what made DT's drumming memorable before Mangini.

Offline emtee

« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2020, 08:43:15 AM »
Yeah, MP is on fire with this one. I guess these two were born to play together. They bring out the best in each other.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2020, 08:47:23 AM »
Yeah, MP is on fire with this one. I guess these two were born to play together. They bring out the best in each other.

There's a listening party that JP is hosting beginning in 15 minutes for those who don't know - https://twitter.com/JPetrucci/status/1299337879563444225?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2020, 09:32:28 AM »

He was never in System of a Down 😝

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »
I'm loving this album! I think it has more variety than SA, also within the songs. It's proggier, no doubt. Also loving the mixing/production! Ok, maybe the bass could be a bit louder... (as a traditional complaint haha), but when Dave don't follow JP lines, we hear him clearly. And MP is wonderful here. It's cool to hear something different from him, like in Out of the Blue (also different for JP), and some bits in some places, like in Snake in My Boot (by the way, I love JP's Van Halen influence in this one and MP and JP laughing - very nice touch!) and some cool syncopation in Temple of Circadia. Anyone can hear that MP and JP has a great chemistry, which brings a lot of inspiration in MP playing, no doubt.
Also Gemini is amazing, that latin part is incredible! Also amazing is the solo on The Way Things Fall, JP/MP/LaRue really are killer on it!
Great great album!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:47:43 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »
MP has had a lot of great output since he left DT, but this is truly special because he and JP have so much history together and the chemistry is incredibly tight.  So awesome to hear these guys together on the same album again.   :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2020, 10:27:13 AM »
Not usually a fan of instrumental albums but it really is a good listen.

Great to hear JP and MP playing together again. Perfect fit.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DT89

« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2020, 10:41:28 AM »
I posted this in my tab book thread as well, but I've transcribed the first two songs. More coming soon!

Terminal Velocity guitar tab

The Oddfather guitar tab

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2020, 10:46:22 AM »
Oh wow!  Glassy-Eyed Zombies!  Melting my face off!  Some of the heaviest stuff I've ever heard from JP.  The tone is just downright raunchy.  Also love the tribute to Van Halen tone riffing in Snake in My Boot with a little bit of Satriani sprinkled into the soloing.  So many other moments that caught my attention.  One spin down, many more to go.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2020, 11:25:00 AM »
I gave it a listen this morning at work.  Good stuff!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
I've listened to about half of the album so far and I like it better than SA. Great playing. Great chemistry between MP & JP. I know it's JP's album and he programmed the drum parts, but this is the best MP has sounded to me in a very long time.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: August 28, 2020, 02:56:50 PM »
I've listened to about half of the album so far and I like it better than SA. Great playing. Great chemistry between MP & JP. I know it's JP's album and he programmed the drum parts, but this is the best MP has sounded to me in a very long time.

Well he's said that he gave MP the green light to add his flare to the drum parts. Plus, there's a high likelihood that JP's "influence" on drums and the arrangements he likes came from MP anyway.....JP knows his tendencies and abilities more than anyone and I'd assume he has that in the back of his mind when programming drums.....so, it was probably a custom fit base for MP to run with.

I agree that this is the best MP has sounded since he left DT.....except for his drumming in Similitude of a Dream......that was excellent as well. All the other stuff just feels/felt forced and generic. He sounds great in this.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
I posted this in my tab book thread as well, but I've transcribed the first two songs. More coming soon!

Terminal Velocity guitar tab

The Oddfather guitar tab

That's awesome!

Offline drod1985

« Reply #273 on: August 28, 2020, 04:30:45 PM »
I’ve only gotten one listen in so far...but this lives up to the 15 year wait. Really digging the variety of tunes and the production sounds great.

Offline lanemeyer

« Reply #274 on: August 28, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »
Is it just me or is this album technical as fuck?! Seems like JP is on top of his game, at least from a chops perspective. The album rips though. I'm so glad Happy Song is in my life now.
Scientia fortitudo venit.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2020, 10:28:20 PM »
I love Snake in My Boot. I wish DT had more moments like this that just groove and get you moving. I really enjoyed it
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2020, 11:16:23 PM »
I am not a big fan of instrumentals. I usually skip the DT instrumentals (except for Scenes), but this album is just so good. It's got head banging, heart feelies, grooviness and just plain delicious JP guitar.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2020, 01:18:56 AM »
Listened to it thrice. Very good guitar playing as expected from JP, but I am not digging it as a guitar instrumental album. With the exception of the title track and a couple others, the songs felt like songs composed with vocals with the lead guitar just substituting for the voice. There is just a way of writing songs for a guitar, a way of writing riffs and melody that specifically has the guitar in mind, something that one can hear in Satch, Vai, Johnson, Al Dimeola, even the ITGD album. I can't feel it in this album.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2020, 03:36:39 AM »
I am very slowly digesting this album and loving every minute of it! What ultimately draws me to DT is their melodic tones that JP and JR write so for this solo work, it's JP melodicism that puts a smile on my face.
MP's drum work is .......... well............ very MPish which means he's fucking awesome but I honestly don't think he's doing anything special that other talented drummers couldn't pull off. And to call this a collaboration or saying that there's chemistry between JP and MP is a stretch IMO. MP is nothing more than a session player for this effort. I mean, we're talking about 25 years of muscle memory.
Also, I'm really digging Out of the Blue!

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2020, 06:06:05 AM »
I am very slowly digesting this album and loving every minute of it! What ultimately draws me to DT is their melodic tones that JP and JR write so for this solo work, it's JP melodicism that puts a smile on my face.
MP's drum work is .......... well............ very MPish which means he's fucking awesome but I honestly don't think he's doing anything special that other talented drummers couldn't pull off. And to call this a collaboration or saying that there's chemistry between JP and MP is a stretch IMO. MP is nothing more than a session player for this effort. I mean, we're talking about 25 years of muscle memory.
Also, I'm really digging Out of the Blue!
I agree - there is a lot of recency bias going around lately. Is it great to hear JP & MP playing together? Yes. Is the album fantastic? IMO, Yes! But that is about 99 percent down to JP - he wrote all the songs, even outlined the drums and bass, though giving some freedom to MP and Dave during recording. In fact, people forget that all guitar tracks were finished before MP even entered the picutre and recoreded his drum tracks, nevertheless that JP stated - in interview with Ola E. if I recall correctly -  that he even worked with MP on spesific drum parts because he wanted a segment to sound in a spesific way.