Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52725 times)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2020, 09:36:25 AM »
To hear them, you have to click on the left of each song on itunes.
Those snippets are really great, I'm listening to them a lot, and they last 1:30 minute each, which allow us to really have a good idea of each song. If we add that to the single, we'll have 18 minutes already known off the album, from aproximately 54 minute total running time - 1/3 of it!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »
Normally you hover over the track number and little play button shows.  Doesn't work for me unfortunately.

Online devieira73

« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2020, 10:18:36 AM »
I went there now and it isn’t working. Unfortunately I think they removed them.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2020, 10:30:48 AM »
Yeah, they definitly removed the snippets. They worked yesterday, not anymore.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2020, 10:40:19 AM »
After several listens I really dig the song. I'm not a guitarist or musician so I can't speak to the language of what JP is doing.....but it feels like he's just 'showing off' a bit  :lol The way he escalates each idea then transitions to the next section is cool.

And...I will say that I think this is some of the best drumming that MP has produced in years. I don't know if it's the familiarity with JP....maybe the excitement behind the whole thing....but his drums sound amazing and what he's giving us is perfect for the material. I can't wait to hear him on the rest of the album.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #216 on: August 10, 2020, 01:47:52 PM »
JP addressing speculation about MP.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_petrucci_addresses_speculation_that_mike_portnoy_is_rejoining_dream_theater_stresses_what_fans_need_to_understand.html
I really really love that JP can't really count :lol (you'll know it when you see it)

It's good that he's aware that everyone is gonna address their reunion and project all sorts of expectations upon it. It seems like he's ready and unbothered, and good on him for being so.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #217 on: August 10, 2020, 02:21:09 PM »
JP addressing speculation about MP.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_petrucci_addresses_speculation_that_mike_portnoy_is_rejoining_dream_theater_stresses_what_fans_need_to_understand.html
I really really love that JP can't really count :lol (you'll know it when you see it)

"Three" albums made with Mangini  :lol

He really couldn't have said it better. He's really, REALLY learnt how to be a public figure and I can't remember any occourence of reading stuff from him and thinking "Geez, John, think twice before talking or hire a social media manager". He's just learnt really well how to present himself to a vast number of people.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Mladen

« Reply #218 on: August 11, 2020, 02:13:22 AM »
That's one smart guy right there. You can take notes from him, basically.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #219 on: August 11, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »
Isn't the '3 albums' thing just referring to albums they have composed with him - DT12, TA, D/T. ADTOE was entirely composed/arranged without Mangini and he laid his drums tracks to a pre programmed drum machine tracks from what I understand (?)
So that's probably what he means, even though he obviously played on 4.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #220 on: August 11, 2020, 08:32:34 AM »
A friend of mine thinks the mix is pretty bad on the new single.  ???  I'm not sure what he's hearing, not hearing or expects to hear.  Not sure what he's using to listen, but it sounds pretty good to me on my noise cancelling Bose headphones.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #221 on: August 11, 2020, 09:56:56 AM »
Isn't the '3 albums' thing just referring to albums they have composed with him - DT12, TA, D/T. ADTOE was entirely composed/arranged without Mangini and he laid his drums tracks to a pre programmed drum machine tracks from what I understand (?)
Doubtful, because TA was also completely written and arranged without any input from MM - just JP and JR did that one. Probably just a mistake JP made, thinking off the top of his head.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #222 on: August 11, 2020, 10:31:29 AM »
Doubtful, because TA was also completely written and arranged without any input from MM - just JP and JR did that one. Probably just a mistake JP made, thinking off the top of his head.
Agreed... silent man, you are definitely giving JP too much credit here  ;) clearly just a silly mistake.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:36:50 AM by JiM-Xtreme »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »
I'm not a big instrumental music fan, but Petrucci is one gifted mo-fo  :metal

I've always liked Portnoy's drumming so I'm looking forward to this.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2020, 01:52:23 PM »

But, did Petrucci program the drum parts as much as he did ADTOE or did he just program basic drum parts to give Mangini an idea of how the feel of the songs are to be?

I'm certain he worked with Mangini more so on the drums than ADTOE, as they had more time. Hence why he sees it's only 3 albums he's worked with him on.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »

But, did Petrucci program the drum parts as much as he did ADTOE or did he just program basic drum parts to give Mangini an idea of how the feel of the songs are to be?

I'm certain he worked with Mangini more so on the drums than ADTOE, as they had more time. Hence why he sees it's only 3 albums he's worked with him on.

Pretty sure he just remembered 3 when he said it, no big deal about that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2020, 08:27:53 AM »

Petrucci did program the drum parts as a guide for ADTOE but to what extent MM put his own stamp on the songs is unknown to me.

However, JP did the same for Terminal Velocity and handed the recording for MP to learn and add his own flair to the songs. In fact, from what I have read JP, LaRue and MP did not play together on the album, they just recorded their own parts to the parts that JP programmed and I think this includes the bass parts.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2020, 08:42:57 AM »

Petrucci did program the drum parts as a guide for ADTOE but to what extent MM put his own stamp on the songs is unknown to me.

However, JP did the same for Terminal Velocity and handed the recording for MP to learn and add his own flair to the songs. In fact, from what I have read JP, LaRue and MP did not play together on the album, they just recorded their own parts to the parts that JP programmed and I think this includes the bass parts.
which, to be fair, is complicated or impossible or possibly prohibited in these current times I guess. (all three of them being in one room and recording together I mean)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »

which, to be fair, is complicated or impossible or possibly prohibited in these current times I guess. (all three of them being in one room and recording together I mean)
Well, if JP and MP could be in the same room together, I don't see why DL couldn't also. But given that the final guitar tracks had been laid down already using the guide bass (done by JP and Jimmy T) and programmed drums, there was no need for JP to play with MP and/or DL.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2020, 01:21:38 PM »
ah they actually were in the same room? Ok then, I rest my case. (was hard for me to make out in the videoclip. Ah well.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2020, 01:25:36 PM »

Well, if JP and MP could be in the same room together, I don't see why DL couldn't also. But given that the final guitar tracks had been laid down already using the guide bass (done by JP and Jimmy T) and programmed drums, there was no need for JP to play with MP and/or DL.
I guess your referring to some sort of a bubble like the NBA? Agreed it could be done and I have suggested that DT could do the same thing like they did for DOT and sequester themselves for a month while the write.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2020, 04:55:31 PM »
ah they actually were in the same room? Ok then, I rest my case. (was hard for me to make out in the videoclip. Ah well.)
Haven't you seen this photo of them?

What's funny is (and not intentional), the pose/position of both guys very similar to one of their earliest photos together at Berklee, with MP behind the drum kit and JP just to the right of him - in the same room together, altho JM was also in the Berklee photo, but cropped out for comparison.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »

Maybe the pic was photoshopped but according to JP, they didn't play together. I dunno, maybe they jammed.

Online Trav86

« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »
The video shows them sitting together with JP playing an acoustic.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online devieira73

« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2020, 08:04:36 PM »

Maybe the pic was photoshopped but according to JP, they didn't play together. I dunno, maybe they jammed.
MP recorded the drums in JP studio (wich I believe is the new DT studio). They didn’t played/recorded together, so I believe this picture was taken while MP was recording his drum parts there.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
Another interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt4ZRU_A7_k&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Dood interview. Liked the way he approached the MP talk again. Also, he mentioned TBOT solo as one of his DT favorites.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:14:06 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online devieira73

« Reply #236 on: August 18, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
I hope DT also takes the same approach to release the digital version of the album before the physical one, although JP hinted it won't be the case. But maybe he can change his mind about it after this experiment with his solo album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #237 on: August 18, 2020, 01:53:44 PM »
I hope DT also takes the same approach to release the digital version of the album before the physical one, although JP hinted it won't be the case. But maybe he can change his mind about it after this experiment with his solo album.

The thing is that he's pretty much self-releasing this through his own "label", so he can try these things as he wishes. With DT, they're signed to a real label (Inside Out/Sony), with a more conventional style of releasing things. I doubt it happens for DT15.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline emtee

« Reply #238 on: August 18, 2020, 02:14:08 PM »
Repeat spins have me enjoying the song more. JP  and MP  are really locked in tight together.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #239 on: August 18, 2020, 11:16:26 PM »
A friend of mine thinks the mix is pretty bad on the new single.  ???  I'm not sure what he's hearing, not hearing or expects to hear.  Not sure what he's using to listen, but it sounds pretty good to me on my noise cancelling Bose headphones.   :tup
Sounds like your friend thinks he's a music snob, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. The mix sounds fantastic.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline darkshade

« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2020, 05:22:04 PM »
I like the new tune. It's got a late 90s/early 00s DT/LTE vibe to it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #242 on: August 27, 2020, 08:15:32 AM »
Got it! :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2020, 08:46:40 AM »
Sounds like your friend thinks he's a music snob, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. The mix sounds fantastic.

Yeah, he's extremely opinionated.  Sometimes to a fault.  However, he did recognize that it's a JP guitar instrumental album and that the drums and bass aren't as strong in the mix as he would like.  To each his own I guess, but I think it's pretty well balanced.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Trav86

« Reply #244 on: August 27, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »
I would imagine the drums and bass aren’t as strong in the mix because...it’s a GUITAR instrumental album lol.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?