Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)  (Read 52579 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Fall 2020)
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
I think if any one of DT leaves or is unable to play - then that is the end of the band.

I can't see them committing to a brand new member this late in the game.

Eh, never say never.

I'm too in the "we're just passing time and speculating, nothing's gonna change in DT for the foreseable future" camp, but one thing is to never wanting to change when things are going good, and another is to face this "this is it, either this lineup or nothing" mentality when change comes upon you.

Would JP really give up DT, being still relatively young, passionate and creative if tomorrow Jordan has a change of heart and leaves? what if it's Myung who wants to retire, with the writing team of Petrucci / Rudess still there, able and willing to compose? when faced with the reality of "so, is this, today, for this or that reason, the end of Dream Theater, your entire musical life so far and your lifestyle when it comes to writing and touring?", I don't claim to presume any definite and 100% sure answers from Petrucci or any of the other guys.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »
I'm thinking more of a scenario that Jordan still keep writing with DT in the studio albums and then they hire a keyboard player (one of JR's proteges like Jeroen or Diego Tejeida or Frank Lucas) for touring.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »
I'm thinking more of a scenario that Jordan still keep writing with DT in the studio albums and then they hire a keyboard player (one of JR's proteges like Jeroen or Diego Tejeida or Frank Lucas) for touring.

Interesting. I could see that as well. Maybe he'd do a few select shows if/when they toured?

Maybe DT's touring schedule won't be as demanding as the years go by. Maybe they just pick a few of the major cities and do multiple night shows? Who knows.

If they stick with their typical schedule....it's write....release.....(2) year tour......6-8 month break.....write 3-4 months......release....then tour.....so best case scenario is they write a new album this fall......release it early next year.....then go on tour.

Tour '21/22'.........write fall of 22' maybe?........release early '23...........tour '23/'24'.......and so on? With Jordan's age and the future of touring up in the air......I'd think (4) more albums is max.....(2) for sure.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2020, 11:25:03 AM »

I'd suggest Gerald Peter from Circle of Illusion, another of Jordan's protegés and an extremely talented player.  :)
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2020, 01:44:11 PM »
Interactive live chat with JP on Facebook/Youtube in 15 minutes

https://www.facebook.com/TheDreamTheaterWorld/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raaf5hh2b-E

Offline tofee35

« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2020, 02:48:38 PM »
Love it. It sounds like involving MP was very much just two buddies finding a reason to playing music together again. Although, he could have been downplaying it.
-Tof

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »
Just heard the news that MP is playing on the album. I'm really excited to hear that!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »
Tuned in just in time to catch John complimenting Noxon for all his work  :metal :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2020, 04:17:19 PM »
From what I remember/understood:
Andy Sneap mixed the JP album, very cool!
MP kind of offered himself to play at the album (JP commented it in a funny way).
5 brand new songs, 2 from the 'new ones'  from the last G3 tour he made (Happy Song and Glass Eyed Zombies) and 2 old ones from the time of his clinics and instrutional video (Gemini and another one).
JP said that the live at Budokan 2017 TV broadcast will be released in the future, but didn't give any detail. Anyway, he seemed very fond of this live production.
It's always nice to see the DT guys talk, but, for hardcore fans, people make a lot of samey or generic questions unfortunately... anyway for a one hour chat, a lot of cool information.
Noxon, great work as always, thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:27:03 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »
I think if any one of DT leaves or is unable to play - then that is the end of the band.

I can't see them committing to a brand new member this late in the game.

Eh, never say never.

I'm too in the "we're just passing time and speculating, nothing's gonna change in DT for the foreseable future" camp, but one thing is to never wanting to change when things are going good, and another is to face this "this is it, either this lineup or nothing" mentality when change comes upon you.

Would JP really give up DT, being still relatively young, passionate and creative if tomorrow Jordan has a change of heart and leaves? what if it's Myung who wants to retire, with the writing team of Petrucci / Rudess still there, able and willing to compose? when faced with the reality of "so, is this, today, for this or that reason, the end of Dream Theater, your entire musical life so far and your lifestyle when it comes to writing and touring?", I don't claim to presume any definite and 100% sure answers from Petrucci or any of the other guys.

I'm with you. I just don't see JP going "oh crap, this member decided to retire/leave... I guess that's it, we're calling it a day". I think DT will remain, with or without the current members, as long as JP is willing/able to do it, and I'd bet that's another 10+ years, at least.

5 brand new songs, 2 from the 'new ones'  from the last G3 tour he made (Happy Song and Glass Eyed Zombies) and 2 old ones from the time of his clinics and instrutional video (Gemini and another one).

Just a small correction (I watched that part twice), there's 5 brand new songs, Gemini from back in the day, 2 that were featured in G3 (Happy Song and Glassy-Eyed Zombies) and he said he wrote another song around that same time, had it fully demoed and then completely forgot about it (The Way Things Fall), which I'd bet is Zero Tolerance with a different name, since he DID debut that one along with those other two songs back in 2012 but then didn't play for G3 2018 (hence the "complwtely forgot about it" part).
I could be wrong, though :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »

One important factor I'm always conscious about; an interview like this is ALWAYS someones first interview they're watching. So no matter how many times they've answered certain questions, it may be someones first time hearing about it. I try to balance it, but I mean, it's hard when you've lived and breathed the band for 20 years to know what is something only "you" know, and what is so often answered that it is common knowledge at this point ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2020, 05:44:51 PM »
My .02:

As I've continually said on here, I think the only way MP rejoins Dream Theater is if Mike Mangini CHOOSES to leave. Mangini is obviously well liked by all the guys in the band, and I don't think they would send him packing just because Portnoy may want back in.

I think the situation with JLB, whatever that is, could be resolved. Both he and MP both know their "fault" in whatever quarrel they have, and my guess is if MM decided to leave, and the rest of the band wanted MP back, JLB and MP would suck it up, and mend fences.

I know the natural tendency is to assume MP wants or is working toward a reunion with DT. Maybe he is. I happen to think MP has wanted back in from the very start and still does. But Petrucci strikes me as a rational and very intelligent guy, and he probably set some boundaries with MP about all the questions they'll receive about MP's solo album (and eventually LTE) when they talk to the media about the projects.

I just don't believe Dream Theater would boot MM at all. They have a great chemistry. It would be MM feeling like he wanted to do something else, or if he is hounded by the specter of MP and just wants it over with. But that ghost has been flying over MM since the beginning, and he hasn't left yet, so I really doubt he'll leave now.

As a fan, I'm just thankful that MP and JP are working together again, and eventually, MP, JP, and JR will reunite for LTE. As for DT, yeah, I'd love to see MP back with DT (I like what MM has done with them, I'm just partial to getting original guys back). But I really don't think it'll happen without MM deciding to leave on his own accord.

Sam, that's more like two nickels. :D

I agree with pretty much everything you say though.

I do wonder how JP and MP will handle the promotions of the two projects. I find that aspect really interesting.

I said it was curious of JP to basically knowingly invite these questions by having MP play on his solo album, and was basically laughed out of the thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2020, 05:55:43 PM »

Just a small correction (I watched that part twice), there's 5 brand new songs, Gemini from back in the day, 2 that were featured in G3 (Happy Song and Glassy-Eyed Zombies) and he said he wrote another song around that same time, had it fully demoed and then completely forgot about it (The Way Things Fall), which I'd bet is Zero Tolerance with a different name, since he DID debut that one along with those other two songs back in 2012 but then didn't play for G3 2018 (hence the "complwtely forgot about it" part).
I could be wrong, though :biggrin:
Thanks, gzarruk, you are probably right.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2020, 05:57:56 PM »

One important factor I'm always conscious about; an interview like this is ALWAYS someones first interview they're watching. So no matter how many times they've answered certain questions, it may be someones first time hearing about it. I try to balance it, but I mean, it's hard when you've lived and breathed the band for 20 years to know what is something only "you" know, and what is so often answered that it is common knowledge at this point ;)

Yes, noxon, I totally understand that and I think you really achieved that balance!

Offline devieira73

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2020, 08:45:37 PM »
Great Q&A noxon, thanks for arranging it!
Love JP, but I call B.S. on "this solo album was planned whether the pandemic thing happened or not", he's been planning it since like 2007 :lol
Terminal Velocity only happened because of COVID19, otherwise he'd have been back BBQing for DT in the studio by now heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »
LaserCD has links for pre-orders. Vinyl version as well.

https://www.lasercd.com/vinyl/terminal-velocity-2lp-viny-preorder

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/terminal-velocity-preorder

I'll probably wait and see if the Petruccinator will have some available through his website or limited bundles or something.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »
LaserCD has links for pre-orders. Vinyl version as well.

https://www.lasercd.com/vinyl/terminal-velocity-2lp-viny-preorder

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/terminal-velocity-preorder

I'll probably wait and see if the Petruccinator will have some available through his website or limited bundles or something.

So release date is October 30th. Based on John's earlier comments, I thought the album was going to drop earlier, at least a month earlier, but it'll be worth the wait anyway.

Also, since pre-orders seem to be available now, I'm expecting a single to drop pretty soon, hopefully in the next couple days :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2020, 11:23:17 AM »
JP was in Instagram live a minute ago with Metal Hammer Spain. I could only watch a couple minutes of it, because it was about to end when I joined, but he said the album is coming on Aug. 28th. Now I wonder why that pre-order link that was shared yesterday had such a different date.

He also said DT are going to start working on new music this fall :metal :metal :metal

EDIT: Metal Hammer Spain uploaded the interview to their IGTV: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDjlmm4qGlb/

EDIT 2: I'm watching right now, and he even talks about MP and MM - he didn't want to spark any sort of drama, says MM is the drummer for DT that's how it's going to be, having MP on the solo album is great because he can now play with both :lol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:42:43 AM by gzarruk »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »
August 28th feels so soon  :o

Thank you for sharing, listening now.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2020, 11:48:40 AM »
He even got asked about the Spotify CEO comments and the whole music streaming world. Very cool.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2020, 03:05:03 PM »
Short, but very good interview!
JP is so calm and centered, it’s really nice to hear him.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
EDIT 2: I'm watching right now, and he even talks about MP and MM - he didn't want to spark any sort of drama, says MM is the drummer for DT that's how it's going to be, having MP on the solo album is great because he can now play with both :lol
Agreed and I sincerely hope things continue this way (with also LTE, of course :tup).

That said, I'm still curious if JP talked about it with Mangini, before it was announced the MP has recorded the drums for Terminal Velocity. If he kind of asked for 'Mangini's blessing" for it or if he didn't talked at all... just curious how he handled with it in the DT's inner circle. I think, because of its nature, it would be a very sensitive matter anyway.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:54:33 PM by devieira73 »

Offline devieira73

« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2020, 06:00:06 PM »
Terminal Velocity (song) on Spotify tomorrow.
From Dream Theater World Facebook.
Well, I will wait just 3 hours ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2020, 06:10:52 PM »
That was an excellent interview. That kid did a great job.

JP confirmed DT was moving their schedule up, so they'll start working on a new album in the fall.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2020, 07:04:41 PM »
It's funny how artists mis-remember things about their own music all the time. JP said in the interview they've done 3 albums with MM in the band :lol so I'm still hopeful that "The Way Things Fall" is actually "Zero Tolerance" and that he forgot they played that one in 2012.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2020, 05:14:25 AM »
Pretty good.   :tup  I think I had higher expectations.  I don't usually put a lot of stock in my first listen of pre-release singles.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline devieira73

« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2020, 05:44:07 AM »
And the album will be released - at least digitally- already on 08/28 :tup

Offline devieira73

« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2020, 05:46:28 AM »
Cool song, but Jaws of Life was a stronger opener. But Terminal Velocity has a stronger drumming!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2020, 05:49:02 AM »
On iTunes there’s the pre-order, with the songs’s lengths.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2020, 06:02:02 AM »
Cool song, but Jaws of Life was a stronger opener. But Terminal Velocity has a stronger drumming!
standard fare Portnoy. (IMHO) Mangini would have been a lot more musical and logical (again, IMHO. And tighter too) Cool if you love it though. And John is as great as he ever was IMHO.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2020, 06:09:25 AM »
So much Vai vibe in it. I don't feel the originality but cool tune nonetheless.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2020, 06:12:39 AM »
So much Vai vibe in it. I don't feel the originality but cool tune nonetheless.
What's not to love about Vai influences? He is one of my favourite guitarists (as is John), and I'm not even a guitarist.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline devieira73

« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2020, 06:37:29 AM »
standard fare Portnoy. (IMHO) Mangini would have been a lot more musical and logical (again, IMHO. And tighter too) Cool if you love it though. And John is as great as he ever was IMHO.
I agree. Typical MP's drumming, but I was comparing with Dave DiCenso drumming on Suspended Animation, that was a bit restrained to my ears. No doubt, nowadays, Mangini drumming also surprises me a lot more than MP.