Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (feat. LaRue & Portnoy) Digital 8/28, CD 10/30  (Read 14850 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (feat. LaRue & Portnoy) - Fall 2020
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2020, 08:59:53 PM »
Song is not that interesting, everything on Suspended Animation had more edge than this. I'm still getting the album though and pretty excited about the rest of it.
I think having Portnoy on this album is a very smart move on JP's part, from many aspect. I believe a ton of people are more interested to hear MP play with JP again than anything else, including me and I've been waiting for this album for years AND I like Mike Mangini just fine.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2020, 09:01:48 PM »

I think having Portnoy on this album is a very smart move on JP's part, from many aspect. I believe a ton of people are more interested to hear MP play with JP again than anything else,

I can get on board with this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2020, 10:46:54 PM »
Song is not that interesting, everything on Suspended Animation had more edge than this. I'm still getting the album though and pretty excited about the rest of it.

That's me as well. I like the track, but it still hasn't really clicked with me yet, despite multiple listens. Sounds like a bunch of cool parts that don't mesh that well with each other. Still, I heard previews for the rest of the tracks on the Itunes store and they all sound really good :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2020, 12:05:08 AM »

I think having Portnoy on this album is a very smart move on JP's part, from many aspect. I believe a ton of people are more interested to hear MP play with JP again than anything else,

I can get on board with this.

I listened to the song once already and MP is still using his bag of tricks. Can pretty much guarantee there'll be a fill where he hertas from the octobans all the way down to the floor tom.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2020, 02:17:28 AM »
Sounds pretty cool, nice hearing JP and MP making music again.  :tup

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2020, 04:54:59 AM »
Previews sound great. Snake in My Boot snippet starts of sounding like full on Edward Van Halen but, by the end, has morphed into something completely different. Looking forward to this a lot, my only caveat is the length of the songs.  These are long songs for guitar instrumentals and I did find that an issue with Suspended Animation that many of the songs just went on too long and outstayed their welcome a bit.

As for Mike’s “bag of tricks”, I’m pretty sure JP knows his style and that’s why he hired him, great to hear them playing together.  I’d love to know if any other drummer gets this level of scrutiny, do you guys listen to Beatles albums and listen to see if Ringo keeps doing new things on every record?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2020, 06:52:51 AM »
Well, the Ringo in Come Together is different from the Ringo in Can't Buy Me Love, so yeah.  :rollin

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2020, 01:20:33 PM »
As much as I hate to say it, that first song was very underwhelming. Hoping the rest is more interesting.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2020, 01:46:00 PM »
As for Mike’s “bag of tricks”, I’m pretty sure JP knows his style and that’s why he hired him, great to hear them playing together.  I’d love to know if any other drummer gets this level of scrutiny, do you guys listen to Beatles albums and listen to see if Ringo keeps doing new things on every record?

Do you know Mike Mangini?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2020, 02:22:38 PM »
Ok, I’ll rephrase that, any other drummer who isn’t a member or former member of Dream Theater!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »
Sort of sounds like MP was directed on how to play on this album. The 'usual bag of tricks' might have been a bit restricted.

http://bravewords.com/news/dream-theater-guitarist-john-petrucci-talks-working-with-mike-portnoy-on-new-solo-album-i-m-really-happy-that-he-did-it

Petrucci: "What was really cool about playing with him - and when I say playing 'with him,' it's a bit of a stretch because I had written and recorded all the music and did drum programming. Mike learned the album and played it to my tracks, so we didn't really play it 'together,' but what I like is that he made it sound like we played together. His playing is very lively and energetic and off the cuff and spirited. So even though he had to learn pre-existing songs and listen to the drum programming that me and my producer, Jimmy T. (Meslin) had done, he was still able to interpret it in his own way and I think it brought the songs to life.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2020, 02:40:58 PM »
Same approach as with ADTOE.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2020, 02:56:42 AM »
Same approach as with ADTOE.
I don't know why, but I love this post.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2020, 07:30:36 AM »

I love this post.   Good call. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2020, 07:39:29 AM »

Your first mistake here is thinking MP and Ringo are comparable beyond playing the same instrument
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2020, 08:32:53 AM »
To be fair, Ringo was EXTREMELY innovative.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2020, 12:57:36 PM »

Your first mistake here is thinking MP and Ringo are comparable beyond playing the same instrument

I’m not sure that I suggested any comparison beyond them both playing the same instrument.  I don’t know The Beatles music intimately despite actually being from Liverpool, just asking the question whether people scrutinise drummers in their other favourite bands to this degree where they have to constantly come up with new fill and tricks 30+ years into their career.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2020, 08:23:51 PM »
As much as I hate to say it, that first song was very underwhelming. Hoping the rest is more interesting.

I’ve changed my opinion 180 degrees after having a good listen with headphones, I like it a lot and really dig MP’s drumming.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »
Just read on YouTube comments:

Music: John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy
Lyrics: John Myung
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2020, 09:11:05 AM »

:rollin

Honestly, loved hearing them play together again but the song itself was a little ...Blah...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2020, 12:38:16 PM »
"I understand where people are coming from with that. One of the concerns I had, a little bit - not musically at all - but about Mike, is I didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

"Mike Mangini has been in Dream Theater for 10 years now. How many albums did we do together already? Three? Plus two live albums. A lot of music and touring.

"So he's the drummer in Dream Theater, and I didn't want there to be any weirdness or misconception that, 'Oh, this means that Mike's gonna come back.' It's just not the case.

"I think that for me, in a selfish way, I get the best of both worlds 'cause I get to play with two of the greatest drummers in the world, in Dream Theater and with my solo stuff. And it's great for me as a guitar player - it's wonderful.

"I think it's really important for everybody's sake, for fans to understand this. I think it's important, out of respect for both drummers - for Mike Mangini and Mike Portnoy - that there's no misconstrued thing: 'Oh, this means something else.'

"This is him [Portnoy] playing on my solo album, which is a really happy moment for me.

"For me, I knew that that would kind of be part of the story - I accept that. So the best I can do is try to be as clear as I can. I don't want people to get the wrong idea.

"I don't wanna create any drama or weirdness because it's all positive. I made a solo album - finally, after 15 years - and I got my friend to play drums on it, who I haven't played with in 10 years. So that's the vibe."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_petrucci_addresses_speculation_that_mike_portnoy_is_rejoining_dream_theater_stresses_what_fans_need_to_understand.html

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2020, 01:49:26 PM »
So MP back in DT confirmed for a double album

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2020, 04:04:51 PM »
Yeah, it's gonna be SDOIT Part 2.   :lol :rollin :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2020, 12:00:14 AM »

:lol :lol :lol

Amazing. I've heard the song once or twice now, and while I liked it, I want to hear the whole thing before I feel like I can make any judgements on this song or the member's playing. It's still very exciting that JP is FINALLY releasing a new solo album this year, though I wonder if any of those ideas might have been earmarked for a future DT album, or if he has kept his solo-album ideas separate from DT-song ideas?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Plenty of food analogies in that one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Plenty of food analogies in that one.
and allusions to punk (yes, punk, of all things), which I found absurdly hilarious. Almost Pythonian in some ways. (both that allusion and the review entirely)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
From all the review, I think we can pick this as the most useful part of it:
"Particularly on “Temple of Ciradia,” easily the albums heaviest number, as the Portnoy/LaRue dynamic truly takes hold. As it does again in “Gemini”, capturing a grittier, heavy rock vibe with the main riff that fizzes past. After several brief interludes that echo early Velvet Revolver, waves of Flamenco guitar wash over you and its all-glorious good fun. Though, lest we forget its more somber moments found in the ballad “Out of the Blue” which hauntingly captures the spirit of Gary Moore. And yet, ‘Terminal Velocity’ continuously detours back to genial solos boasting a broad, pop-punk smile. Most notably in “Happy Song,” sounding as if Big Country instrumentally reimagined the Sum-41 hit “Still Waiting”."
It seems in line from what I've heard from those 1,5 minute samples from itunes. But I think Out of the Blue was more jazzy than bluesy. But, as a first review, it was kind of a missed oportunity...
Just an observation, here in DTF, we get used to kind of review the reviews, right? ;D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
JP interview with Ola Englund

I love how excited Ola is talking with JP.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Peter Mc

Only on song 2 and there is an undeniable chemistry between JP and MP.  It’s the best I’ve heard MP sound in a long time, insanely good playing from them both.

Offline NoseofNicko

Happy Song sounds like a pop punk song in parts lol.

Offline pfillion

Temple Of Circadia  :hefdaddy  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

Sum 41 meets Satriani... :lol

It's on Spotify for me amazingly, as it's only 10 pm here.  :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Not just in parts, it's entirely a pop punk tune just with some shredding over the top. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.