Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (feat. LaRue & Portnoy) Digital 8/28, CD 10/30  (Read 14905 times)

Offline Lowdz

I'm loving this album. I am an instrumental fan anyway, but this is brilliant.

Offline The Realm

Yes I am also loving this album. Awesome stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I love it
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2020, 05:25:22 AM »
Happy Song sounds like a pop punk song in parts lol.
Not just in parts, it's entirely a pop punk tune just with some shredding over the top. :lol

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I can't say I love it, but that's mainly because this style of "instrumental guitar showcase rock" doesn't generally interest me very much.

However, I do like it a fair bit, which is a positive surprise and within that particular genre it's one of the best things I've heard. JP's guitar playing is always fantastic and if anything there's a particularly nice charm and groove to so much of his playing on here which is very enjoyable. The production is also great - a very big, full sound which works really well. And finally, while in DT I'm just as happy with MM as I am with MP, for the more jam-oriented style of JP's solo stuff, I think it really benefits from how musical MP's drumming is.

So all in all, the style isn't really my cup of tea but it's a really good, enjoyable example of it anyway, and a definitely improvement over what I remember from Suspended Animation. Credit to JP!

EDIT:
Happy Song sounds like a pop punk song in parts lol.
Not just in parts, it's entirely a pop punk tune just with some shredding over the top. :lol

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Oh no, not at all. It's quite fun as a result.

Although actually it does highlight a part of why this type of guitar showcase rock isn't my cup of tea, which is that the songs almost all sound to me like instrumental versions of vocal songs. I almost always find this and JP hasn't managed to escape it. So it's enjoyable, but I always feel there's a lack of a focal point to really draw me in.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Pretty good album! The first track was a bit underwhelming, but everything after was very cool and interesting. I'll definitely have to give this one more listens.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll be giving this a first spin later today after work when I'm going for my run. Seems like good exercise music.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline LKap13

When i heard Gemini for the first time last night, I was like holy shit, this is the best music JP/DT has released in decades. And then I find that it actually is a song JP wrote in the 90's  :lol  . Okay so that makes more sense -- still an incredible track and likely worth the price of admission. Temple of Circadas also has some interesting stuff on it.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I hate the fact the physical disc is getting released two months from now. I have the CD pre-ordered. I won't buy it twice, so I am waiting.  >:(
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LKap13

I hate the fact the physical disc is getting released two months from now. I have the CD pre-ordered. I won't buy it twice, so I am waiting.  >:(

You can check it on Youtube if you wanted, it's also out on Spotify

Offline Lowdz

Pretty good album! The first track was a bit underwhelming, but everything after was very cool and interesting. I'll definitely have to give this one more listens.

i was underwhelmed by the first track when I heard it a couple of weeks ago but enjoyed it a lot more replaying the album today as I skipped it on my first play through.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Bought it on amazon plus a signed physical copy. The latter will make a nice surprise when I forget about it and it shows up in the mail.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
This is a good album but nothing hits me the same way the first four tracks on Suspended Animation do. Happy Song is probably my favorite at the moment. It's a very good record with loads of tasty JP guitar shredding, but it doesn't quite hit the highs of SA, at least not immediately - I'm listening to Tunnel Vision now and man, that is a masterpiece. Regardless, I'll be listening to this for years to come, so I'm very happy it's finally out there. I hope we get more solo JP stuff in the future, with more regularity.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
I always expect very melodic lines by John and they are there, so that's good.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Madman Shepherd

Same here. Fortunately I'm not too blown away by what I've heard so I dont mind waiting. I'm sure I'll enjoy it though

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Same here. CD pre-ordered. I will just wait until it arrives. Got plenty other things to listen to right now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
You can listen on Spotify

Offline NoseofNicko

My first listen was surprisingly (Petrucci is my favorite guitarist) pretty underwhelming. So far I think it’s decent but not great.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliōujoāupougjyufkuyrkuyt
petrucci is very technically talented and knows how to write a great melody but man there was nothing at all that surprised me on this. mostly just checked it out for the hell of it and got about what i expected  :rollin
not bad at all and it'll satisfy its audience plenty though

Offline nattmorker

I finally listened to it on spotify, it was a great first listen! Gemini, Happy Song are awesome! I will listen to it again. I think this showcases what a great songwriter JP is (not that I didn't know that before).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
You can listen on Spotify

Others maybe, but not me. I have no streaming accounts at all. If I can't get the music physically, then I buy digital as a last resort. Streaming doesn't even factor in for me. I'm weird like that.

EDIT: Well, I just noticed that the digital version showed up in my Amazon account (where my CD pre-order is). I guess the CD has Auto-rip so I could download the tracks and listen now if I want.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:13:20 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline LKap13

I finally listened to it on spotify, it was a great first listen! Gemini, Happy Song are awesome! I will listen to it again. I think this showcases what a great songwriter JP is (not that I didn't know that before).

These are both songs he wrote a whole ago. Gemini is the 90s!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
A new vinyl variant was just released through Newbury comics

https://www.newburycomics.com/products/john_petrucci-terminal_velocity_exclusive_2lp_with_autographed_postcard?fbclid=IwAR3pNGlwP5UOb5vuQHo1VpuCYb3emL9pHE2ttkxXZHq_0tuZ7F5vvnze45M&variant=32755466010729

Looks cool, but I'm waiting for the CD. Joined John's mailing list, but have not heard a word about pre-ordering.

Offline Architeuthis

I listened to the full album on YouTube.  I just used the headphone jack out of my phone to a stereo RCA adaptor to the auxiliary input in the back of my house stereo. It works great, and btw the album is brilliant!  :metal :metal :tup

I'll definitely buy the physical copy when released.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline darkshade

Cool album. A lot of elements I don't like in modern DT seem to have been dropped for more of what I find best in DT's music, and even a few surprises sprinkled in. MP sounds great, best stuff I've heard with him since Transatlantic's The Whirlwind. The tunes are fun, this really wets my appetite for LTEƎ

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
First impression is that I'm enjoying it more than the first one. It's really nice to hear JP and MP playing together again. So I think the nostalgia of that is lifting this album higher for me.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Listened to a few tracks and quite liked it.

Really enjoyed Happy Song. Does what it says on the tin!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Listening while working. Nice, uplifting vibe.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

How did you order the physical disc? All the links that I've managed to find take me to downloads or streaming nd I don't want that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Same here. CD pre-ordered. I will just wait until it arrives. Got plenty other things to listen to right now.

In a way I'm happy about that. There's too much good stuff coming out right now.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Offline Learning2Live

How did you order the physical disc? All the links that I've managed to find take me to downloads or streaming nd I don't want that.
I preordered my CD through lasercd.com (they have both CD and vinyl available) and they are still taking preorders if you want the physical disc.

Online Mladen

I am really liking this album after a week. The Oddfather, Out of the blue, Gemini and the title tracks are the highlights for me, but pretty much every song has memorable or catchy bits. I'm not too fond of the last two, but they're still fine.

Offline ErHaO

Yeah, this album is great. Not really an all-instrumental guy usually, but this one is awesome. And good to hear the Petrucci/Portnoy combo again.