Author Topic: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (feat. LaRue & Portnoy) Digital 8/28, CD 10/30  (Read 14877 times)

Offline Art

Re: John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (feat. LaRue & Portnoy) - Fall 2020
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2020, 02:29:10 PM »
Awesome news, i'm happy to see JP and MP working together again!  :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2020, 04:58:08 PM »
LaRue was on Suspended Animation, and MP + LaRue was his band for G3, so, other than the MP reconciliation, I'm not so sure what's surprising about this.

That's how I see it. Even, when he played with the recent G3, MP probably wasn't free to do it, so he got Mangini.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Realm

« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2020, 06:05:08 PM »
Really looking forward to this album. My first time actually seeing JP and MP live was a a JP solo gig as part of G3 with Satriani and Vai. Dave LaRue was on the bass then too.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2020, 06:40:26 AM »
I don't think this has anything to do with the idea of MP returning to DT.  And I don't think MM is slighted because JP decided to work with MP.  This is a collaboration with music written by JP, nothing more.  It doesn't signal anything, it doesn't imply anything.  I really don't know what the big deal is.  MP is a fine drummer and he's the one JP chose to compliment his music on this release.  And that's all.

Exactly.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2020, 09:02:47 AM »
LaRue was on Suspended Animation, and MP + LaRue was his band for G3, so, other than the MP reconciliation, I'm not so sure what's surprising about this.
That's how I see it. Even, when he played with the recent G3, MP probably wasn't free to do it, so he got Mangini.
I don't think so. It seems when it comes to live, JP likes to play with the current DT drummer. So up until 2010, MP was his man. After 2010, MM became the drummer for JP's solo band.

In the studio, it's a bit different. There, JP wants to distance himself more from DT, which is why on SA, he had Dave DiCenso play the drums instead of MP. I would imagine the same is true with TV, even if MP used to be in DT (he's not now).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2020, 09:52:44 AM »
I don't think so. It seems when it comes to live, JP likes to play with the current DT drummer. So up until 2010, MP was his man. After 2010, MM became the drummer for JP's solo band.

In the studio, it's a bit different. There, JP wants to distance himself more from DT, which is why on SA, he had Dave DiCenso play the drums instead of MP. I would imagine the same is true with TV, even if MP used to be in DT (he's not now).

That makes sense. Especially since any dates that JP plays as a solo act are blacked out for DT, so odds are whoever DT’s drummer is at the time would also be free.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2020, 05:36:26 PM »

That makes sense. Especially since any dates that JP plays as a solo act are blacked out for DT, so odds are whoever DT’s drummer is at the time would also be free.

Wasn't Marco Minnemann originally invited by JP for G3 in 2012? *went looking for it* Here it is:

Since I'm getting asked that a lot: No, I'm not going to be on John Petrucci's G3 tour this year. He wanted me to play the tour and also record on his new CD. But I'm fully booked with Aristocrats and Steven Wilson and had to refuse. But thanks so much for asking. I'll for sure be doing more stuff with Jordan or John in the future.
(https://www.facebook.com/marco.minnemann.77/posts/since-im-getting-asked-that-a-lot-no-im-not-going-to-be-on-john-petruccis-g3-tou/10151036698523773/)

So Mangini wasn't really the first option for the solo band anyway. What I find weird now is that he did tour with John and Dave for G3 in 2012 and again in 2018 so he was JP's solo band drummer for a while, but still John went for MP to do the album (nothing wrong with that and I'm actually really excited about this).

Now it bothers me even more that SA doesn't have MP on drums as he's on every other JP solo release (TV and G3 Live in Tokyo) :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2020, 03:27:28 AM »
Setting aside the fact that it's great to see JP and MP collaborate in a project together again, that is an awesome power trio in all respects!

Really interested to hear this!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2020, 08:31:53 AM »
Now it bothers me even more that SA doesn't have MP on drums as he's on every other JP solo release (TV and G3 Live in Tokyo) :lol

Anybody here knows what footage is this? I never saw it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2020, 08:38:33 AM »
I assumed that was referring to the new album
Photobucket sucks.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »
I assumed that was referring to the new album
:facepalm: :tup

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2020, 08:53:23 AM »
LaRue w/ MP in Flying Colors.
LaRue w/ JP on his solo records.
LaRue w/ many others on many projects throughout the years.

LaRue = awesomeness. He's an incredible bassist. Seems to be a great guy too.

This lineup makes for a great power trio! However, I'm sure JP wrote all the music, while MP & LaRue were brought in to play. Nevertheless, looking forward to the release.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2020, 08:21:13 AM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/john-petrucci-says-working-again-with-mike-portnoy-was-a-lot-of-fun

John Petrucci has spoken about how he and his former Dream Theater bandmate Mike Portnoy reunited for the guitarist’s new solo album Terminal Velocity.

News of the partnership came to light last week, when guitarist Petrucci revealed on social media that Portnoy is playing drums on the album, while Flying Colors’ Dave LaRue is on bass duties.

Speaking to the Official Dream Theater Fan Club, Petrucci said: “Mike is playing drums which is really awesome. Obviously, Dave LaRue played on my first solo album Suspended Animation, who I also toured with many times with G3 – as in the past Mike Portnoy. We toured together with G3 as well. But, yeah, having Mike play drums on this is cool. It was a great experience.”

As for how the pair came back together for the project, Petrucci explains: “We’d been talking and he had planted the seed in my ear. I was telling him about my plans, and he said, 'Well, if you need somebody, I'm available.' I'm, like, 'I'm going to take you up on that.’

“I had written all the songs and we programmed the drums – I played bass, and our engineer Jimmy T played bass, so we had these final completed songs. Mike came in, learned everything and added his touches and taste and did a tremendous, spectacular job.

“It was a lot of fun to reunite musically and do that together. It took about six days to do. The drums sound awesome.

“Dave recorded his stuff remotely, redid all the bass. And it's mixed by Judas Priest’s Andy Sneap. It's my first time working with Andy, and he did a tremendous job mixing it.”

Terminal Velocity is expected to be released later this year on a date still to be confirmed.

The nine-track record will include Happy Song, which Petrucci debuted on a South American G3 tour in 2012 under the working title Cloud Ten, while Glassy-Eyed Zombies – which also made its debut eight years ago – will also feature.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline HOF

« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »
Here’s an article from Billboard with a pic of John and Mike in the studio. Have to confess I’m getting a little nostalgic seeing them together like this.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/9416802/dream-theater-guitarist-john-petruccis-new-solo-project-features-ex-bandmate-mike-portnoy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2020, 02:32:04 PM »
Is there an official release date for this?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »
I'm assuming this was recorded in that new DT Studio that JP mentioned a few months back?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2020, 03:20:35 PM »
Andy Sneap.  Interesting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2020, 03:23:26 PM »
That photo made me smile.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »

It's gonna kick ass.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2020, 03:28:53 PM »

It's gonna kick ass.

Andy Sneap = heavy shit
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2020, 03:46:21 PM »
Yeah, I highly respect Sneap as an engineer. No worries about how this will sound knowing he is handling both the mixing and mastering.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »
I'm assuming this was recorded in that new DT Studio that JP mentioned a few months back?

I guess so. It'd be very ironic if MP ends up being the first drummer to record at the DT studio :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »

I guess so. It'd be very ironic if MP ends up being the first drummer to record at the DT studio :lol
I HAD THE EXACT SAME THOUGHT. X :rollin
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2020, 07:31:37 AM »
Tasty :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2020, 07:39:25 AM »
FINALLY!!!! It took 10 years, but i can finally look forward to an album MP is on!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »
Loved it. MP's predictable fills don't even bother me in this song. Sounds exactly like a JP solo song, nothing vastly different from Suspended Animation.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2020, 09:03:21 AM »
Nice song and the sound quality of it is phenomenal! I hope they use this team (recorded by James “Jimmy T” Meslin and mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap) for the next DT album. Me and Baby Yoda approved it :tup

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2020, 09:21:12 AM »
I really liked the song overall, but god that video is cringe-worthy  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2020, 09:24:04 AM »
I really liked the song overall, but god that video is cringe-worthy  :lol

These type of videos always come off as a little hokey. But it’s at least cool to see John playing it.