Poll

What are your favorites of these songs? (CHOOSE 5)

Paradigm Shift
Osmosis
Kindred Spirits
The Stretch
Freedom of Speech
Chris and Kevin's Excellent Adventure
State of Grace
Universal Mind
Three Minute Warning
Acid Rain
Biaxident
Another Dimension
When the Water Breaks
Chewbacca
Liquid Dreams
Hourglass

Voting closes: March 15, 2026, 07:39:30 PM

Author Topic: Your favorite Liquid Tension Experiment songs  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: Your favorite Liquid Tension Experiment songs
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 07:18:33 AM »
Kindred Spirits
Freedom of Speech
State of Grace
Universal Mind
Biaxident
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »
Five options are not enough.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2020, 07:35:02 PM »
Five options are not enough.
Agreed. There needs to be at least 17.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2020, 08:00:16 PM »
I know, right?

A couple of the shorter ones like The Stretch, 904 and the Excellent Adventure aren't god tier tunes for me, but most of the others are. 

Even Three Minute Warning, for what it is, is pretty awesome.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2020, 01:52:03 AM »
Getting a sneak peek of Three Minute Warning before the show on the FII tour was an awesome thing. That is still my fave of the LTE jams. Other than that I tend to prefer the group compositions.

Paradigm Shift
Kindred Spirits
Biaxident
Another Dimension
When the Water Breaks
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2020, 08:17:38 AM »
Is anyone else still annoyed by the decision to split Three Minute Warning into separate tracks? It’s not a huge deal but the individual sections aren’t all that discreet so they don’t work at all as individual tracks. I’ve never once thought, “I just want to hear Three Minute Warning Pt. 3” or whatever. And it does mess up the playback on some formats.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »
Is anyone else still annoyed by the decision to split Three Minute Warning into separate tracks? It’s not a huge deal but the individual sections aren’t all that discreet so they don’t work at all as individual tracks. I’ve never once thought, “I just want to hear Three Minute Warning Pt. 3” or whatever. And it does mess up the playback on some formats.

Split tracks like that do annoy me a lot, and since day 1 of owning LTE1, I've always had "Three Minute Warning" as one 28:36 long track.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2020, 05:48:07 PM »
I have the whole thing ripped as one song, but given that it's a long improvised jam rather than an epic, I get why it was broken up into five tracks.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2020, 07:34:51 PM »
When the water breaks
Acid rain
Biaxident
Paradigm shift
Aaaaand... Went with kindred spirits

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2020, 10:58:45 AM »
 I'm a big fan of all songs, except "Three minutes warning", I think I have only gone through the whole song once or twice.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2020, 01:13:04 PM »
I love both LTE, especially the second one..that one is better on all levels than the first one and it made me a JR believer..I was completely mind blown by this guy..great memories, and now that the original nucleus will return for the third one, hopefully will remind me why I loved the music that they wrote together!

My picks:

1.Acid Rain.
2.Freedom of Speech
3.When the Water Breaks
4.Kindred Spirits
5.Biaxident

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2020, 05:32:14 PM »
I’m sincerely shocked that WTWB is 3rd. Did not expect that. I thought it was universally the favorite.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2020, 08:38:36 PM »
The top 4 are the ones I was expecting, as I said in my post, I found them easy to pick. I’m surprised though that WTWB is not no.1. I’m also surprised how far back Universal Mind is albeit within the top 4.

Offline DTA

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2020, 07:55:20 AM »
I thought Another Dimension would be higher. Probably the most interesting/well-composed song overall on LTE2

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »
I thought Another Dimension would be higher. Probably the most interesting/well-composed song overall on LTE2
I agree. MP has said that it's the most DT-like song that LTE's done and therefore, part of the reason why it was played in full several times during World Tourbulence. I especially like how it breaks out into that accordion solo - it's like a journey going to another world or at least country.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2020, 04:17:13 PM »
It was very close to being one of my 5 and the accordion section is one of the reasons, it’s amazing how they fit that into a pretty heavy song. Makes me smile every time.

Offline HOF

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2020, 04:38:00 PM »
Agreed about Another Dimension. Had I thought about my choices longer it probably would have gotten a vote. The guitar solo always reminded me a little bit of the Scarred solo. One of my favorite JP moments. It’s a really great composition all around.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2020, 08:49:59 PM »
I was at one of the DT shows in 2002 when Another Dimension was played.  It rocked. :metal :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2020, 02:50:40 AM »
Paradigm Shift
Universal Mind
Acid Rain
Hourglass

I have no idea what the others sound like off the top of my head, but those 4 are cool.

I voted these, but honestly I haven/t listened to LTE in at least 10 years. I own the LTE2 CD, so maybe I'll play that in the car this week
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bentower

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2020, 03:00:29 AM »
Agreed about Another Dimension. Had I thought about my choices longer it probably would have gotten a vote. The guitar solo always reminded me a little bit of the Scarred solo. One of my favorite JP moments.

Likewise for me. That is an awesome section.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2020, 01:22:56 PM »
Listed in the order they are in the poll.

Kindred Spirits
Universal Mind
Acid Rain
Another Dimension
When the Water Breaks
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline LKap13

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2020, 04:52:15 PM »
Not the biggest fan of another dimension because of that bass intro

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
I agree. MP has said that it's the most DT-like song that LTE's done and therefore, part of the reason why it was played in full several times during World Tourbulence. I especially like how it breaks out into that accordion solo - it's like a journey going to another world or at least country.
either Argentina or France or both probably :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2020, 05:05:56 PM »
I love it. (I'm an unapologetically big fan of TLev, so I like most of what I know with him on it)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2020, 05:07:53 PM »
I love it. (I'm an unapologetically big fan of TLev, so I like most of what I know with him on it)

You and me both.  Levin is on my Mount Rushmore of bass players, and the LTE albums are a big reason why.  That intro is bad ass as hell.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2020, 07:53:35 PM »

The man just turned 74! I don't know how he does it.

I know Mike doesn't count Liquid Trio Experiment (because Magna Carta) but does anyone else beside me count it.

Chris and Kevin's Bogus Journey, Hawaiian Funk, Jazz Odyssey, Fire Dance....I dig a lot of this one too.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2020, 12:01:57 PM »
Kindred Spirits
Freedom of Speech
Acid Rain
Another Dimension
Hourglass
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline JLa

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2020, 02:44:57 PM »
When the Water Breaks
---------------------------------
Acid Rain
Biaxident
Kindred Spirits
Freedom of Speech

WTWB was got me into the whole prog scene in the first place. I must have heard it a thousand times by now, it's just breathtakingly amazing.  :heart

The songs on 2-5, they're all good too. I'm not really ranking them, they're equal.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »

The man just turned 74! I don't know how he does it.

I know Mike doesn't count Liquid Trio Experiment (because Magna Carta) but does anyone else beside me count it.

Chris and Kevin's Bogus Journey, Hawaiian Funk, Jazz Odyssey, Fire Dance....I dig a lot of this one too.

To be honest, my interest lessens when Petrucci is not involved so I don’t really listen to the songs with no guitar.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »

I honestly don't think MP has a problem with L3E itself, just MC. L3E was all him, Tony and Jordan, so while he may want to avoid MC like the plague, I don't think he views L3E any less than he does the LTE albums, aside from the packaging which he had nothing to do. Even the title was MP's idea from way back when. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it, in part because it's missing JP and the improvs just don't resonate with me very much. Same is true of The Stretch and 914 which were both basically L3E as well, since neither has JP.

The one thing I'll be curious to see is if a third LTE album happens like it seems to be the case, will we see Chris and Kevin Face the Music?  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »
Great news that LTE3 might be finally happening. I've listened to LTE2 more than some Dream Theater albums.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2020, 10:53:37 AM »
Paradigm Shift, Kindred Spirits, Acid Rain, State of Grace, When the Water Breaks

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »

I honestly don't think MP has a problem with L3E itself, just MC. L3E was all him, Tony and Jordan, so while he may want to avoid MC like the plague, I don't think he views L3E any less than he does the LTE albums, aside from the packaging which he had nothing to do. Even the title was MP's idea from way back when. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it, in part because it's missing JP and the improvs just don't resonate with me very much. Same is true of The Stretch and 914 which were both basically L3E as well, since neither has JP.

The one thing I'll be curious to see is if a third LTE album happens like it seems to be the case, will we see Chris and Kevin Face the Music?  :biggrin:

Ha Ha..

You're right the vitriol is really for Magna Carta. When I met Tony Levin and Billy Sheehan, they didn't really have nice things to say about Magna Carta either.

I'm definitely a huge fan of the improv aspect of it which is why I enjoy it so much.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »
You're right the vitriol is really for Magna Carta. When I met Tony Levin and Billy Sheehan, they didn't really have nice things to say about Magna Carta either.
Really? What did they say?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2020, 05:25:27 PM »
Really? What did they say?

They didn't really go into detail, but they made it pretty clear that they did not like Magna Carta. They didn't outright refuse to sign the CD (In Tony's Case it was "Prime Cuts" can't remember which Billy Sheehan CD I had.) One of them, may have been Billy, that said he doesn't see any money from them and Tony made a face and said he really didn't like that album.

Of course "Prime Cuts" was a Magna Carta compilation series that gathered tracks from different projects the artist was involved with on the label.  I have the impression that these releases were made without the artist's consent or compensation which, as you said, what Mike was alluding to with Liquid Trio.