Author Topic: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: Mister Gold)  (Read 29023 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: 425)
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2020, 04:18:01 PM »
Stranger is so underrated IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2020, 07:57:37 AM »
24. The Man Who Would Be King
from The Final Frontier

23. To Tame a Land
from Piece of Mind

22. If Eternity Should Fail
from The Book of Souls

21. Stranger in a Strange Land
from Somewhere in Time

Now we're cooking with gas!  What a great batch of songs.   I was in a pretty big Maiden mood a couple weeks ago, and I was playing En Vivo! a fair amount, and TFF tracks really stood out, so the next logical step was to go through that album, and it REALLY struck home.  I couldn't (and still can't) get enough.   So TMWWBK is a welcome entry (and I would put it higher).  At some point I crossed the line to where I think I like the reunion era more than the original era, and the realization came with The Book Of Souls.  IESF is one of my three favorite songs (Speed of Light and The Red And The Black are the other two) so THAT'S welcome.   I've already said I'm a bug fan of SiT, so there.   The only sort of "interesting" track is "To Tame A Land".    I loved the IDEA, I didn't love the execution; I felt like it was practice round, or a warm up of sorts.   I don't think we'd have Powerslave or Alexander The Great without this track, so for that I'm grateful.

Offline DTA

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2020, 08:28:47 AM »
24. The Man Who Would Be King
from The Final Frontier

23. To Tame a Land
from Piece of Mind

22. If Eternity Should Fail
from The Book of Souls

21. Stranger in a Strange Land
from Somewhere in Time

The only sort of "interesting" track is "To Tame A Land".    I loved the IDEA, I didn't love the execution; I felt like it was practice round, or a warm up of sorts.   I don't think we'd have Powerslave or Alexander The Great without this track, so for that I'm grateful.

Agreed. I've been playing bass along to this song a lot and the more I play along to it, the less I like it. Even though 7 minutes isn't really long by prog standards, I feel like there's too few different sections to justify its running time. I like the vague exotic tone of the song, but wish it had a bit more to it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »
To tame a land and The Man who would be king are probably top 10 material for me. Stranger is gorgeous, too, a true Adrian's masterpiece. And yeah, Eternity... A brilliant album and concert opener.

Offline 425

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2020, 06:28:21 PM »
I was in a pretty big Maiden mood a couple weeks ago, and I was playing En Vivo! a fair amount, and TFF tracks really stood out, so the next logical step was to go through that album, and it REALLY struck home.  I couldn't (and still can't) get enough.   So TMWWBK is a welcome entry (and I would put it higher).

To tame a land and The Man who would be king are probably top 10 material for me. Stranger is gorgeous, too, a true Adrian's masterpiece. And yeah, Eternity... A brilliant album and concert opener.

Wow, I think you're the only people I've ever seen say they'd put The Man Who Would Be King *higher* than me. Nice! :tup

I don't think I'm giving too much away when I say that there's more to come from The Final Frontier...

We are crossing over into the top 20, so I'm going to do just two songs per post, but I'm also going to begin counting down my studio album ranking with two per day. Here are a couple gems, one a bit older, one a bit newer, followed by my two least favorite Maiden albums:

20. Lord of Light
from A Matter of Life and Death

It’s right around here that we cross over from the “very good” section of the list into the “superlative” section. I think Lord of Light is an outstanding instance of reunion Maiden songwriting. Beautiful intro, excellent melodies, wonderful anthemic chorus. And the lyrical concept is quite interesting; after decades of sort of jokey Satanic playing, we get a more interesting, quasi-Miltonic look at the figure of Lucifer through the eyes, no doubt, of Bruce Dickinson. Speaking again about wonderful marriages between music and lyrics…

We are not worthy in your black and blazing eyes
We gather demons in the mirror every day

Free your soul and let it fly
Mine was caught, I couldn’t try
Time returns again to punish all of us

We are cast out by our bloody father’s hand

19. Caught Somewhere in Time
from Somewhere in Time

I did a lot of personal talk in my writeup for The Clansman, and there’ll be a little of that here, as well. Where The Clansman was the first Maiden song that really connected with me, in large part due to its lyrical message, Caught Somewhere in Time was the first song, period, that connected with me even while I was almost completely indifferent to the lyrics. It was a whole moment discovery for me that I can focus almost entirely on the riffs and melodies of a song with lyrics and still have a phenomenal time.

This song is an attention-grabber right off the bat with that awesome, huge synthy intro—which I suspect is part of what didn’t translate so well to the stage—and main riff. And despite not really working so well live, Caught Somewhere in Time is exceedingly high-energy in the studio. The rhythm section is impressively fast on this one—this is one of those songs where you just have no clue how Nicko did this with just one bass pedal. And also Adrian Smith is here with one of his many excellent solos on this album.

Album 16. Fear of the Dark (1992)

In my opinion, this is the weakest Maiden studio album by a pretty sizable margin. The reason, I’d guess, is a combination of three factors: (1) the songwriting slump they were still in with Adrian gone and Janick not yet really hitting his stride; (2) a sort of ambivalence about the stylistic left-turn they took with No Prayer for the Dying—parts of the album seem intent on staying that new course, while others seem to be trying for the more traditional Maiden sound; and (3) this being the first CD release and thus longer than the previous albums.

Fear of the Dark has some good songs, and would at least have been solid as an 8-track album (although still among my least favorites), but it contains my four least favorite Iron Maiden studio album songs (Weekend Warrior, The Apparition, Chains of Misery and Childhood’s End), and a number of other entries that are decent but not up to the standard set on their previous releases. It also doesn’t help that there are stronger live versions of the album’s two best songs. The end result is an album that I almost never listen through start-to-finish, and the only Maiden album that I would not consider a good experience listened to that way.

Album 15. Killers (1981)

Yeah, I’m bracing for the negative response this placement is likely to receive. I am just not crazy about the Di’Anno era. It’s not really about Paul so much as it’s about the simpler, more punk-influenced type of songwriting. That’s just not really what I come to Maiden for. This isn’t a bad album by any stretch. It’s pretty consistent and there are a number of songs I like—aside from the obvious Wrathchild and Killers, I have fun with Purgatory and Drifter. But the album lacks a standout track like Phantom of the Opera or Remember Tomorrow from the debut, and the songwriting is just not in a territory that I like best. As a result of this and the fact that Fear of the Dark, while weaker as an album, has some stronger songs, Killers has the negative distinction of being the only album with no songs in my top 60.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mladen

« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2020, 12:52:24 AM »
Once again, a great bunch. I often single out Lord of light as quite possibly the best vocal performance by Bruce Dickinson ever. It's unbelievable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2020, 05:49:47 AM »
Once again, a great bunch. I often single out Lord of light as quite possibly the best vocal performance by Bruce Dickinson ever. It's unbelievable.

Lord Of Light is one of my top Reunion Era songs. That song slays!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2020, 01:09:59 PM »
Yeah, I’m bracing for the negative response this placement is likely to receive.

Consider it delivered.  :)

Killers is top three Maiden album, and on any given day might be number one (though that's usually Powerslave, and now TFF has crept into the mix). 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2020, 06:01:09 AM »
I think Killers is a good album, but not a lot of songs stand out. None would probably make my top 50 either. When I think about is, the best song on it is the instrumental, Genghis Khan.

I agree on the placement of Fear of the dark, too. It's also at the very bottom of my list and features my least favorite songs Maiden ever did.

Offline DTA

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2020, 07:51:02 AM »
I'm not too shocked to see FotD at the bottom, and I agree that The Apparition is probably the worst Maiden song aside from The Angel & The Gambler. I've always had a soft spot for Weekend Warrior and Chains of Misery though, thoroughly ridiculous songs but enjoyable. Childhood's End steals yet another Marillion song title and actually reminds me vaguely of Script/Fugazi era Marillion.

Killers is really enjoyable as a whole, but I agree that there's no song that truly stands out (except perhaps Murders In The Rue Morgue and Prodigal Son and even they're overshadowed by so many songs that came after). I'd still rank it way higher than X Factor and Virtual XI though.

Caught Somewhere In Time is the most kickass opening track they have and everyone in the band sucks for choosing not to play it live after the tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2020, 08:08:44 AM »
Caught Somewhere In Time is the most kickass opening track they have and everyone in the band sucks for choosing not to play it live after the tour.

It's a Top 5 DT track for me, and I'm so glad I got to see it live.

But on the boots for that tour, for some reason, it just never sounds right.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2020, 08:49:51 AM »
I'm on the Killer Is Fantastic bandwagon as well. The energy is unparalleled and tunes like Prodigal Son, Purgatory, Gengis Kahn, etc. are unforgettable.

Fear of the Dark would have been an incredible LP with 10/15 minutes of cd era fat left on the floor. Nonetheless there are at least 5/6 really great tracks on it, plus Afraid to Shoot Strangers, which could very well be their most mesmerising song to my ears.

Thinking about it (and off topic), I feel the same about the Black Album: IM(D)O both Iron Maiden and Metallica (my absolute favourite bands during my teen metal phase) lost something in the CD era.

Offline 425

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2020, 10:19:32 PM »

It's a Top 5 DT track for me, and I'm so glad I got to see it live.

But on the boots for that tour, for some reason, it just never sounds right.

Yeah, from the bootlegs I've heard, it just doesn't seem to work. I think the band felt the same way, which is why they abandoned it after that tour. It would be really awesome if they could figure out how to make it work, but I don't imagine that will ever happen.

Nice to see some Lord of Light love, and not to get hit with too many stones for my Killers placement.

Two more songs and two more albums:

18. Where Eagles Dare
from Piece of Mind

With all respect to The Number of the Beast, which is an excellent album, I think Piece of Mind is the album where the band fully finds the identity it will have for the rest of the decade and resume to a great extent in the 2000s. And it all begins with the album opener, Where Eagles Dare, which I think is their best opener-qua-opener (though not their best track #1). Nicko McBrain announces his presence with authority, not just on the opening drum solo, but on the rhythm he maintains throughout this track, which always feels to me like a steady, confident, consistent forward march. And we hear one of the band’s finest uses of two-guitar harmonies on the instrumental section. Bruce, of course, is in fine form as well, navigating with apparently minimal effort the overflowing lines Steve asked him to sing. One of the finest 80s Maiden songs; I can’t say enough positive things about it.

17. The Longest Day

If the rest of The Longest Day was as strong as the first two minutes, it would be in the top 5 and potentially #1.

The intro of this song is one of the most emotionally powerful things Iron Maiden has ever done. It’s another one of those excellent marriages between music and lyrics, and its telling of the arrival at Normandy is heart-pumping. One of my favorite sections of any song ever.

The rest of the song doesn’t quite deliver on the promise. The second verse section does, at least musically, and there’s nothing particularly bad about the prechorus, chorus or instrumental section—I quite like Adrian’s solo and the subsequent moment when the chorus theme comes in as a guitar melody. But the rest of the song is just not on the very, very high level set by the first couple of minutes. Those two minutes alone, though, are enough to get it pretty high, especially when the rest isn’t exactly bad, either.

Album 14. Iron Maiden

I consider this the stronger album of the Di'Anno era entirely on the strength of two tracks I have already discussed: Phantom of the Opera and Remember Tomorrow. I think both songs are legitimately excellent and stand head-and-shoulders above the rest of the songs from this period, foreshadowing the greatness that the band would achieve later. Outside of these two giants, the rest of the album is probably slightly below the level of Killers, but that still means that there are some solid entries. A couple of these songs, Running Free and Sanctuary, are fairly plain on the album but take on significant life on stage. Others amount to solid rockers that I wouldn't seek out for their own sake, but enjoy well enough in the context of the album (though I find the lyrics on Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot to be of dubious taste). Strange World is a... strange song... that doesn't sound anything like anything else they've done (because Paul Day wrote it), but I think kind of works. This is definitely a album that is elevated by its two best songs, but the rest is strong enough to make the whole thing a good experience.

Album 13. No Prayer for the Dying

No Prayer for the Dying can certainly be more easily blamed for its faults than Iron Maiden. The debut is, well, a debut. It's a band just starting out, and its best tracks show the promise of a very bright future. No Prayer feels like a huge step backward after a very impressive run ending on one of the band's best albums, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. And its best tracks feel like faint echoes of the greatness heard on that run.

First, the negative. There are indeed a number of dubious choices on this album. For one, there are some songs that are just not that good, like the inane The Assassin and whatever you want to call that thing that occupies track 9 (and holds the distinction of being Maiden’s only #1 single ever). A lot of the lyrics on this album are pretty rough, and frequently in rather poor taste (without the excuse of having been written by a young man in his early twenties). And in general the quality of the songwriting just is lower than on most of their other albums.

That said, I think there are a lot of solid songs on this album, including some that (understandably) receive little praise. I’ve already discussed Run Silent Run Deep, but I could also mention Mother Russia, No Prayer for the Dying and Fates Warning. These three would probably get outshone on the better Maiden albums, but here they stand out better as little gems. Even some of the songs that are of questionable taste are fun in their own way: Public Enema Number One is legitimately good in my opinion, and I actually like Hooks in You.

Overall, the decisive factor between this and the debut is that I simply have a better time listening to this album as a full experience. Sure, two of the three best tracks between the two albums are on Iron Maiden, but I think the general quality is higher on No Prayer. Though the songwriting is somewhat degenerated from where it was on Seventh Son, there's still something a little bit more robust about a middle-tier No Prayer song like Tailgunner compared to a middle-tier Iron Maiden song like Prowler. Though it's a close call, I would more often than not rather listen to No Prayer for the Dying.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2020, 05:11:48 AM »
Where Eagles Dare is just an underrated classic.  That 3 minute long instrumental section, just lovely.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2020, 05:33:55 AM »
I warmly agree on pretty much everything you've written about Where Eagles Dare.

The debut is my #2 IM album.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2020, 07:59:59 AM »
I'm not too shocked to see FotD at the bottom, and I agree that The Apparition is probably the worst Maiden song aside from The Angel & The Gambler. I've always had a soft spot for Weekend Warrior and Chains of Misery though, thoroughly ridiculous songs but enjoyable. Childhood's End steals yet another Marillion song title and actually reminds me vaguely of Script/Fugazi era Marillion.

Well, that would be Kiss.  :) :) (I'm kidding; the Marillion came first. But I think there are more stylistic/thematic connections to the Kiss tune.)

Killers is really enjoyable as a whole, but I agree that there's no song that truly stands out (except perhaps Murders In The Rue Morgue and Prodigal Son and even they're overshadowed by so many songs that came after). I'd still rank it way higher than X Factor and Virtual XI though.

Another Life.  Top 15 Maiden song, easily. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
Both great songs, especially The Longest day. Bruce is unbelievable on it.

I really like the Iron Maiden debut, but I'm afraid it wouldn't end up too high on my list neither.

Offline DTA

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »

Well, that would be Kiss.  :) :) (I'm kidding; the Marillion came first. But I think there are more stylistic/thematic connections to the Kiss tune.)

Ooooh right...I tend to forget Carnival Of Souls exists (for obvious reasons), but that came out after both the Maiden and Marillion songs.

As for Another Life...  :|

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2020, 09:18:21 AM »

Ooooh right...I tend to forget Carnival Of Souls exists (for obvious reasons), but that came out after both the Maiden and Marillion songs.

As for Another Life...  :|

Yeah, I was just being silly (with C'sE that is).  I just LOVE Murray on Another Life; I could listen to that all day long.   

Offline 425

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2020, 10:04:46 PM »
Where Eagles Dare is just an underrated classic.  That 3 minute long instrumental section, just lovely.

Yes, I adore it! Amazing that it's this good and *not* my favorite on Piece of Mind...

As for Another Life... it's one of the better songs on Killers, but I can't say much more for it than that.

Two more songs, two more albums:

16. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns

Where The Longest Day has a clear divide between a very strong intro and a significantly less strong second half, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns does not reach the same heights, but has a remarkable consistency from start to finish. On this song, the music really powerfully conveys the unsettling sense of foreboding that goes along with the subject matter. I find it really interesting how the vocal melodies don’t always fall where one would expect in relation to the meter—it gives the piece an interesting off-kilter vibe. It’s not quite my favorite Maiden epic, but I do find it to be one of the most complete, well-structured ones.

15. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
from Powerslave

The original long Maiden epic still belongs among their top songs. What I find interesting about this one is that it maintains a lot of the elements from the 80s Maiden style on the shorter songs, most notably the steady gallop, but weaves together a number of such sections plus a completely new sort of middle section, to form one long epic. The section from the end of the quiet middle through the solos stands as one of the top handful of highlights of the 80s era. This song certainly features one of my favorite Dave Murray solos.

There was probably a time when I would have had this song in the top five or so. Over time, I think I have taken a stronger liking to some of the other songs you’ll be seeing soon on this list, and Rime has slipped down to the mid-teens. But I’d still say it holds up, and I still enjoy it greatly each and every time.

Album 12. Virtual XI

To me, there is a significant jump between the previous four albums and this one. Where the writeups for those albums required me to articulate why I feel they are below par, from here on up I mainly have positive things to say about each release (there will be a couple where I bring up the negative side simply to explain why I place them lower than most fans).

Virtual XI, in my opinion, simply does not deserve the bad reputation it has. It’s an album of eight good songs, some of them excellent. It lays, I think, groundwork that is simply essential for the eventual development of the reunion era sound. It is hampered only by the poor production and Blaze’s polarizing voice. Some might say, "and the repetitive songwriting," but repetition plagues Brave New World as well, and that one is quite well-loved, so it’s at most a matter of preference. Plus, four songs from Brave New World were written during the Virtual XI sessions, so it’s the same sort of songwriting.

I personally think Blaze does much better on this album than people give him credit for. Yes, there are a few parts that don't really work for him (Lightning Strikes Twice chorus), and his voice surely was better suited for The X Factor. But I think he does well as a distinctive sort of hard-rock singer on songs like The Angel and the Gambler and When Two Worlds Collide, which give him room to thunder out some powerful melodies.

I’ve talked about Futureal and The Clansman, which I agree are two of the standouts from this album. But there are a lot of excellent songs that don’t tend to get much attention. When Two Worlds Collide, The Educated Fool and Como Estais Amigos did not quite make my top 60, but they are all very good songs.

And as for that much-reviled Angel and Gambler…? Well, I’ll just say that I'm personally quite fond of them.

Album 11. Powerslave

Okay. Yes, I’m putting this one here.

To be clear: I think the four songs that bookend this album are excellent, truly classic Iron Maiden tracks.

I do not think that of the four songs in the middle. Those four songs are not bad. They’re fine. They’re good. But they’re all among the weaker tracks from 1982-1988 period. I’d place all four of them behind every track on Seventh Son, every track on Somewhere in Time, everything but Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel on Piece of Mind, and everything but Gangland on The Number of the Beast. For me, consistent quality is pretty important when rating an album. If I’m going to listen to an album, I do not want that album to have a long section where the quality dips. And Powerslave just does have a long section where the quality significantly dips.

It probably doesn’t help that all four of the great songs on here are not only on Live After Death and Flight 666, but are better on both of those live albums than they are in the studio. As a result, Powerslave is one of my least-listened Maiden studio albums.

Incidentally, my favorite of the “other four” is Back in the Village. Perhaps not the most popular choice?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2020, 04:35:40 AM »
Great write-ups! Love BTASS, one of best post-1988 songs.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2020, 04:54:50 AM »
I never quite got the love for BTASS.  It's cool but never blew me away.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2020, 05:53:18 AM »
Powerslave is about 11 spots too low though. As for Virtual XI I also don't think it's the worst Maiden album and I quite enjoy Blaze.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2020, 06:06:44 AM »

I think that was my first favorite song on AMOLAD. But it has definitely been surpassed by FTGGOG, Lord Of Light, and on most days even The Legacy.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2020, 06:41:46 AM »
Before Images and Words came out, Rime was my #1 (Orion being #2) Grandpa Song, i.e. the tune I used to show my grandpop heavy metal could be as cool, complex and rich as classical music.

Powerslave is #4 IM album for me. Leaving the fantastic "bookends" aside (great description, 425!), I have a soft spot for Losfer Words, and an even softer spot for Flash of the Blade. It's the first heavy metal song I heard, and I distinctly remember it possessing my body, making me run around the house in exhilaration like a crazy kid. Furthermore, its chorus is a very overlooked case of compositional genius: you have the melody creating incredible tension by starting the first two phrases from the IV note of the underlying chords, delivering a big payoff when it hits the big C's tonic and the post-orgasmic chill with the G F# E descent. Plus the half neoclassical half arena rock instrumental break, Steve unchained, Bruce singing it like a king ...

Ok, I'm rambling. I bloody love that song  ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2020, 07:59:13 AM »
Brighter in my opinion features the heaviest Maiden riff ever. You know which one it is.  :metal

As for VXI, it's certainly a good album, but it's near the bottom of my list, unfortunately. That just shows how amazing the rest of the discography is. The comparison to Brave new world is spot on, I've always felt like that as well. But Powerslave is great. I think Flash of the blade and Back in the village are just as fantastic as Aces high and Two minutes to midnight.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2020, 08:57:20 AM »
"Back In The Village" is perhaps the single song in the catalogue that I am most out of step on with the fanbase.  I LOVE that song, I think it's a top 10 or 15 song, depending on the day, and one of the highlights of that album (as I've already said, a top IM album for me).   And yet, I'm not sure I can name one person here that likes it. 

That opening guitar figure....  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »
I think Powerslave gets unfair criticism in regards to the 'filler' tracks considering you can make the exact same case for Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Somewhere in Time AND Seventh Son. I like all of them but they all have songs that are clearly weaker than the rest IMO.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2020, 09:22:27 AM »
"Back In The Village" is perhaps the single song in the catalogue that I am most out of step on with the fanbase.  I LOVE that song, I think it's a top 10 or 15 song, depending on the day, and one of the highlights of that album (as I've already said, a top IM album for me).   And yet, I'm not sure I can name one person here that likes it. 

You can now. But not three times near my glowing grave in the town's model.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »

When Powerslave first came out, that was my first favorite song on it.

Offline DTA

« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »
Surprised to see no love for The Duellists...I agree that the 4 bookend songs are the best, but this songs kicks some serious ass and stands up with a lot of their material.

Offline 425

« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2020, 09:26:59 PM »

I think that was my first favorite song on AMOLAD. But it has definitely been surpassed by FTGGOG, Lord Of Light, and on most days even The Legacy.

I don't wholly disagree with this...

I think Powerslave gets unfair criticism in regards to the 'filler' tracks considering you can make the exact same case for Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Somewhere in Time AND Seventh Son. I like all of them but they all have songs that are clearly weaker than the rest IMO.

I think you could say it of all of them to an extent, but I think the number and weakness of the weak tracks is greater on Powerslave than on any of the others.

I know that some of the middle four tracks on Powerslave have their fans in various quarters. I think that's great. But, for me, none of them is a particular standout.

Two more songs, two more albums, as we approach the top 10.

14. When the Wild Wind Blows
from The Final Frontier

This one is another song that I learned about very early on my Maiden journey (which started about a year after this album came out), and another one that was instrumental to my falling in love with the band. From the very start I found the story quite compelling—sad, with an thought-provoking, disturbing twist at the end. Musically, it doesn’t feel like the most varied song, but I think the verses evolve pretty nicely across the eleven minutes to transition through different phases of the story. The instrumental section is quite good, and the “They’ve been preparing for some weeks now” that pops up out of that heavy riff that ends it makes for a pretty powerful moment. I’m glad this song made it to the stage, even though it potentially came at the expense of some other entries from the album. I think it carried over quite well.

13. Dance of Death
from Dance of Death

Dance of Death is one of only a handful of songs on this whole list where the lyrics do absolutely nothing for me. I don’t object to them, but I’m not particularly interested in the sort of hokey story that plays out here. Lyrics can be a factor in my enjoyment of songs, particularly on the margins, so the fact that it rises this high on my list is a testament to the very high quality of songwriting going on here.

During the reunion era, Maiden have done a significant number of songs that start with a calm, often acoustic intro, and build into a heavier, more energetic body. On none of them is the transition smoother than on this one. The heavier parts have a fun, sort of folky vibe that makes them feel tightly connected to the acoustic intro. That acoustic part is one of their best such sections, with some really interesting guitar work. And the entire song is packed full of excellent melodies. Dance of Death manages to cover so many bases. It’s progressive and deliberate, but memorable and inviting to sing-alongs (and dance-alongs?). A really fun and really good song.

Album 10. The Number of the Beast

From here through #5, everything is quite close. It was a surprising reminder of this band’s consistency how difficult I found it to rank this section of the album list—definitely a process of splitting hairs.

So why does this acclaimed classic land at the bottom of this very close group? It’s mainly just that I think this album, while a big step forward from the first two, hasn’t quite achieved the level of refinement of their later works. There are certainly songs here that are at that level (just as there were even on the debut), but the album as a whole is not quite there yet—as I’ve mentioned before, I think Piece of Mind is actually where everything seems to have fully come together.

That said, this album deserves its very positive reputation. There are a lot of strong songs on here, even outside of the famous classics. I’ve already written about The Prisoner, but I could also mention 22 Acacia Avenue and even Invaders, which I think is better than most give it credit for being. Only Gangland is a miss here, and definitely should have been left as a b-side in favor of Total Eclipse, which is surprisingly good. (Worth saying that I first listened to this album on the remastered version that inserted Total Eclipse as the 8th track, between Gangland and Hallowed Be Thy Name, so it’s always been part of the album to me.) But Gangland alone is not enough to bring this album down very much. It’s an Iron Maiden album that is definitely deserving of the name.

Album 9. The Book of Souls

I’ve mentioned before that I got heavily into Iron Maiden in around 2011-2012, so The Book of Souls is the only album that was released after I first learned of the band, and came out after my period of most intense fandom. This is potentially the main reason for its placement toward the lower end of this tightly packed group.

Another reason, though, is the length of this, the band’s only double album. I don’t object to long albums or double albums as such, but I think the longer an album is, the more important it becomes that the material stay at a consistently high level of quality. A dip in quality around the 35-minute mark of a 50-minute album affects me less than a dip in quality around the 70-minute mark of a 90-minute album. I wouldn’t go so far as to say The Book of Souls has any bad tracks, but I think there’s not quite enough very high quality material for me to say, “Yes, this absolutely *had* to be a double album.” I’m not necessarily saying this should have been cut down to one disc, because I’m happy with almost all of the material and enjoy the album pretty much all the way through. (Gun to my head, I’d cut Death or Glory and When the River Runs Deep, then shorten Shadow of the Valley a bit.) But when I’m splitting hairs, “feels a bit long without be noticeably stronger” is reason enough to rank it a bit lower.

On the positive side, this album definitely proves that the band still had it in 2015. While it’s the lowest reunion album on my list, it’s the lowest by just a hair, and is more consistent in my opinion than two of the others. I’ve spoken at some length about several of the songs on here, one of which I think has strong potential to grow even more in my esteem over time (The Book of Souls) and one of which is a triumph just for being a mostly-successful foray into a totally new type of songwriting (Empire of the Clouds). A very strong 16th entry.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Realm

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2020, 07:09:01 PM »
Wow! As a huge Iron Maiden fan (my fav band) I have been loving this thread. However these album rankings are bordering on sacrilege to huge Iron Maiden fans! I can see you are a 'newer' Maiden fan which is cool, however if someone gave you a cassette tape of Number of The Beast in high school and asked you to take a listen, I reckon you would feel differently about that album and where it ranks. Imo - the greatest album of all time. Anyway, still looking forward to the rest of the rankings.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2020, 07:14:03 PM »
Wow! As a huge Iron Maiden fan (my fav band) I have been loving this thread. However these album rankings are bordering on sacrilege to huge Iron Maiden fans! I can see you are a 'newer' Maiden fan which is cool, however if someone gave you a cassette tape of Number of The Beast in high school and asked you to take a listen, I reckon you would feel differently about that album and where it ranks. Imo - the greatest album of all time. Anyway, still looking forward to the rest of the rankings.

Realm, you registered a year ago and are just now finally getting around to your first post? :lol

I'm an old school fan who bought The Number Of The Beast in 1982 a couple of weeks before I started high school. It is my favorite Maiden album, and my number 2 studio album only behind Images & Words.

Don't be a stranger, man!

My name is temporarily changed but if you click on TAC 's list in the OP, that's me.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2020, 07:25:51 PM »
Thanks Mr. Crabs.

I'm not really a rankings person overall but Images & Words would be in my top 5. Don't want to derail the thread though...

I've actually been around here for a very long time, I just don't post! This ranking of The Number of The Beast brought me out of my slumber.