Author Topic: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: Mister Gold)  (Read 28846 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: 425)
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2020, 12:17:35 AM »
Starblind is kind of average musically, except for the ending of the instrumental section. However, the lyrics make up for it big time.

Isle of Avalon, on the other hand, is a masterpiece.  :metal

Offline DTA

« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2020, 06:36:36 AM »
I'm loving your The Final Frontier-heavy list. It's a really strong album and I would rate it higher than a lot of the "classic" stuff as well.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2020, 07:38:56 AM »
Absolutely loving the passion in the song write ups and in preparation I gave TFF a few spins today. No doubt it is a great album so I actually have no issue with the ranking and large number of songs represented.

Have no idea what the top 2 songs could be though..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2020, 08:13:41 AM »
Frankly, I'm digging all the love for TFF.  It's one of the reunion albums that has really stuck with me.  I loved it when it first came out (especially after the brutal AMOLAD) and I bought En Vivo! a couple weeks ago and was struck by how good some of those songs really are.   It's a favorite, for sure. 

Offline 425

« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »
I love the Final Frontier love in the replies, so let's keep it going! I'll just put #2 in this post because I think #1 deserves its own feature.

2. The Talisman
from The Final Frontier

Well, now you have a good idea what I’d answer if asked for my favorite three-song run! These songs all hold a very special place for me. I think all three are absolutely wonderful—musically, lyrically, and in the marriage between music and lyrics. Ordering these three amongst one another was almost impossible. I’ve listened to them together so many times in my life, including twice while trying to decide the sequence, and while I’m placing The Talisman first of the three, it still feels strange to me even to say that it’s my favorite, because they are that close.

It would be hard for me to name a better marriage between music and lyrics in rock music, period, than The Talisman. The story Steve Harris wrote for this song is straightforward but emotional, and it is told with tremendous emotional power. The music on this track is wonderful, from the gorgeous acoustic section to the galloping riffs to Janick’s excellent solo. Then put them together, with vocal melodies written tailored to fit exactly not just the sound of the words, but their meaning. There are so many times where the way a line comes out musically perfectly punctuates what the words say. A couple of examples:

The acoustic melody that complements the dactylic meter (a rather unusual meter for English verse; props to Steve for writing so well in it) of some of the lines in the first section, especially:
Fleeing a nation, our problems we leave behind
Ships by the tenfold sail out on the tide

The turn from “The spirits of the sunken crews, their phantoms follow us” to “Spirit sails they drive us on through the all-consuming waves / Cold mortality no weapon ‘gainst these ever-raging seas”

Such a well-composed and emotional song for me, and an ecstatic cap to an astounding three-song run. Absolutely one of my very favorites.

Do we know #1?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2020, 08:41:54 PM »
The Talisman is phenomenal. It is my favorite Reunion Era track. It literally lifts you up and carries you away. What a pace.

#1 is Coming Home.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2020, 09:39:25 PM »
Yes The Talisman is a great track for sure.

I’m with TAC, surely Coming Home for #1.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »
Man, you really like The Final frontier album, right?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2020, 10:43:43 AM »
I am surprised.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline 425

« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2020, 09:17:40 PM »
I do very much like The Final Frontier.

So, Coming Home for number 1, is it?

Coming home, far away?

Home, far away?

Home, far away
From the war?
A chance to live again?

Home, far away
But the war
No chance to live again.

1. Paschendale
from Dance of Death

Many of Iron Maiden’s best songs are those highlighting the nature of war, in particular its horrors. In 2003, Adrian Smith and Steve Harris revisited this well-covered ground, but achieved a new level of excellence that they never previously achieved and have not matched since.

Paschendale, the song, presents the drama and horror of Paschendale, the battle, in the most musical and poetic terms imaginable. By giving us the perspective of a single soldier in a single charge of this battle, the lyrics nonetheless show us the full context that brought this horror to be, both historically (“German war propaganda machine / Such before had never been seen”) and philosophically:

Cruelty has a human heart
Every man does play his part
Terror of the men we kill
The human heart is hungry still

Part of the genius of this song is the way each section leads into each other section, even when they are very disparate thoughts. We go from this philosophic idea in the mind of our unnamed soldier immediately to the existential circumstances that face him. With no break, this thought leads directly to:

I stand my ground for the very last time
Gun is ready as I stand in line
Nervous wait for the whistle to blow
Rush of blood and over we go

The music here is, of course, also breathtaking. There are so many superb riffs and melodies here, each and every one of them complementing the others beautifully and also linking up superbly with the lyrics. The starts and stops that punctuate the song at certain points mark transitions between ideas, but also match the stop-and-start nature of trench warfare. The most intense section musically, is, of course, the section where our soldier is finally ordered to charge the enemy. The music is majestic, between the massive guitar riffs and the strings, but also run through with a sense of profound horror and tragedy. The instrumental section is superb, with excellent solos from both Dave Murray and Adrian Smith. But the best part of the song, and my favorite part of the entire Iron Maiden discography, is most definitely:

Blood is falling like the rain
Its crimson cloak unveils again
The sound of guns can’t hide their shame
And so we die in Paschendale

… right into my choice for Janick’s very best solo, a truly superb and emotional piece. This section of music and lyrics never fails to get tears from me. The song remains at a nearly unimaginable level of intensity until the very end, which is a sad lament and reminder of the senselessness of this war.

Paschendale pushes the limits of what rock music can do, and is, in my book, very clearly the top choice out of an excellent and storied discography. Many years and many, many listens later, this song still feels so capacious that I can get completely lost in it—which is truly remarkable. Truly a special piece, and highly deserving of my #1 spot.

Completed List:
60. The Number of the Beast
59. The Prisoner
58. The Unbeliever
57. Phantom of the Opera
56. Fortunes of War
55. Run Silent Run Deep
54. The Alchemist
53. The Trooper
52. The Great Unknown
51. 2 Minutes to Midnight
50. The Man of Sorrows
49. Flight of Icarus
48. Fear of the Dark
47. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
46. Remember Tomorrow
45. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
44. Sea of Madness
43. Montségur
42. Dream of Mirrors
41. The Nomad
40. These Colours Don't Run
39. Futureal
38. Mother of Mercy
37. Out of the Silent Planet
36. Only the Good Die Young
35. Aces High
34. The Wicker Man
33. The Clansman
32. Moonchild
31. The Book of Souls
30. Powerslave
29. Ghost of the Navigator
28. Face in the Sand
27. The Clairvoyant
26. Empire of the Clouds
25. Infinite Dreams
24. The Man Who Would Be King
23. To Tame a Land
22. If Eternity Should Fail
21. Stranger in a Strange Land
20. Lord of Light
19. Caught Somewhere in Time
18. Where Eagles Dare
17. The Longest Day
16. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
15. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
14. When the Wild Wind Blows
13. Dance of Death
12. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
11. Alexander the Great
10. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
9. Revelations
8. The Legacy
7. Hallowed Be Thy Name
6. For the Greater Good of God
5. Sign of the Cross
4. Starblind
3. Isle of Avalon
2. The Talisman
1. Paschendale

Albums:
16. Fear of the Dark
15. Killers
14. Iron Maiden
13. No Prayer for the Dying
12. Virtual XI
11. Powerslave
10. The Number of the Beast
9. The Book of Souls
8. Brave New World
7. The X Factor
6. Dance of Death
5. Somewhere in Time
4. Piece of Mind
3. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
2. A Matter of Life and Death
1. The Final Frontier
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 11:36:17 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2020, 11:23:18 PM »
Great song indeed.  Love Adrians tapping Wasted Years riff for the intro.

Janicks solo is so epic because of the key change from G# to D.  Really interesting transition between keys and builds so much tension, and the D# chord before D key change is just amazingly epic.  I love that whole section as Dave's solo is in E then it shifts to C# for Adrian.  The blood is falling section is G# then as I said D for Janick.  Really amazing section.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »
Haven't chimed in here, but have been casually following. Thank you for the thoughtful posts 425, and HELL YEAH PASCHENDALE! That is either my #1 or #2 Maiden song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Realm

« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2020, 01:34:40 AM »
I can’t believe it! Not sure how this passed me by. I do love Paschendale. When DoD came out I remember hearing Paschendale and thinking this song is next level for Maiden, especially the reunion era (which was only a couple of albums old) but it really ignited something in me which convinced me that Maiden still had it in them to produce awesome music.

Yes this is definitely a top Maiden song.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2020, 02:24:54 AM »
Yep, that's one good song, right there. Kudos on the amazing list, 425! It was so much fun to follow.  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2020, 05:09:08 AM »
Amazing list, 425! Had a feeling Paschendale might take top spot. Genuinely one of the band's finest works ever, if not their best. :metal

It's definitely high on my own new list... which I really need to sit down and properly finalize sometime soon. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »
Paschendale is indeed a top Maiden song. Good pick!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
Yeah that Side 2 of TFF is something else. The songs are even sequenced perfectly. Kudos for the great write-ups.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2020, 01:04:57 PM »
This was a great list; not what mine would be, but it's certainly refreshing to see some deeper tracks and lesser (in terms of consideration) albums get some press. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2020, 06:48:07 PM »
Hey Wolfking you’re up. The previous ranking thread from 2013 became a ghost town after 2 or 3 people went, hopefully that won’t be the case this time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »
Sorry, I was all good for doing this but work started back up way earlier then expected during COVID so I haven't prepared anything.  If anyone else has a list, go ahead.  If not, I'll see what I can do over the next week.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2020, 11:02:20 PM »
Sorry, I was all good for doing this but work started back up way earlier then expected during COVID so I haven't prepared anything.  If anyone else has a list, go ahead.  If not, I'll see what I can do over the next week.

Yeah, I had a similar situation myself, plus I was expecting you'd go before me. :lol

That said, I could maybe go next if I'm given the weekend to sit down and hash out my list first. I don't plan on doing a list quite as extensive as 425's, so that'd likely make things easier on my end.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2020, 11:08:39 PM »

Yeah, I had a similar situation myself, plus I was expecting you'd go before me. :lol

That said, I could maybe go next if I'm given the weekend to sit down and hash out my list first. I don't plan on doing a list quite as extensive as 425's, so that'd likely make things easier on my end.

I can define my list over the weekend.  It won't take me long so I can start next week, I'll make time but yeah won't be anywhere near as thought out and extensive as 425's.

Offline 425

« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2020, 02:05:53 PM »
Hey, sorry, forgot to reply here after the final post! I'm glad folks enjoyed my list and writeups, and it's great to see a lot of positivity for Paschendale, which, as I think I made clear, is just next level for me.

Wolfking, I didn't mean to put you on the spot with the sequence in the OP. I just catalogued everyone who mentioned they wanted make a list, figuring that someone would be almost ready to step up by the time I finished mine! So if you're ready to start next week, that would be fine, but don't feel obligated if you're not ready, especially since it sounds like Mister Gold can potentially be ready soon as well.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2020, 02:43:30 PM »
Hey, sorry, forgot to reply here after the final post! I'm glad folks enjoyed my list and writeups, and it's great to see a lot of positivity for Paschendale, which, as I think I made clear, is just next level for me.

Wolfking, I didn't mean to put you on the spot with the sequence in the OP. I just catalogued everyone who mentioned they wanted make a list, figuring that someone would be almost ready to step up by the time I finished mine! So if you're ready to start next week, that would be fine, but don't feel obligated if you're not ready, especially since it sounds like Mister Gold can potentially be ready soon as well.

All good mate, I put my hand up as much as you did.  I had heaps of time working in the office but a lot of working alone so was on DTF a lot more so was keen to spend some time on it.  Things got up and running sooner than expected.  I'll see what I can come up with over the weekend.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: Wolf)
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2020, 04:50:36 AM »
Alright, I've got a list.  I came up with it pretty damn quick tonight, but I think it's pretty solid and I think everything is mainly where it should be.  This will be very different to 425's.  A lot of classic songs missing and a lot of odd numbers higher up on the list.  Anway, let's go;

60. 2 Minutes to Midnight

We all know the story behind the riff.  Yes, it's Janick's riff but who gives a shit hey!?  It's a cool riff and this is a rocking song and I love the tone on Adrians guitar here.  Very cool lyrics too.  This is something a bit different from Maiden too.  The pre chorus is cool and has Adrian's style written all over it.  It's a shame a lot of these lower songs are ranked lower.  They all should be ranked higher but that's the strength of Maiden.  Song written in A too, which is not all the common for Maiden considering the amount of songs they have.  Great contrast between the solos too here.

59. Shadows of the Valley

This one was always a smokey for me on The Book of Souls.  The intro is fucking laughable, but maybe it's Janick getting back at Adrian after all these years for 2 Minutes hey!?  I always really liked this one.  The verses are textbook Maiden but I like the chorus.  The vocal melody is a littel awkward but that's why I dig it I think.  The kicker for me is the middle section, the melodies are pure classic vintage Maiden and the 'into the valley of death.....,' is fucking magic.

58. The Prisoner

Another one too low and one of those songs that are kinda underrated but kinda not.  Cool ass riff once it's gets going and I like this one B but then kicks to E major in the chorus, very cool stuff.  The solo section is nice too.  I likes Adrian's arpeggios at the start of the solo, very cool.  Not much more to say, just a cool rocking tune and position really nicely in the album too.

57. Revelations

Might get some shit for this one being low but I couldn't place it any higher.  I really loved this one when I was getting into Maiden but it didn't age as well as a lot of other songs.  I really like it though and the whole atmosphere and mood is quite beautiful.  The double time sections are a great contrast with the verses and the song has a lot of colour.  You can definitely see with the mid section why it worked as a great live song.  The boys rip in the solos too.

56. The Edge of Darkness

Just for Tim this one.  But seriously, a really underrated song from TXF if you ask me.  We know the story of the lyrics so we don't need to go there, but all in all, this is classic Maiden with TXF feel going on.  The verse cracking in after the quiet intro is a little jarring but teh pure E minor guitar melody is Maiden through and through.  The song really cracks on after that.  The faster verses rip too and I like Blaze on this tune.  A shame the band never revisited this one with Bruce, it would have done well live IMO.  The solos explode and I love the 'genius' part.  Great climax, great song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2020, 05:35:44 AM »
2 Minutes and The Prisoner would be higher for me, both great songs. Revelations for me was always a bit overrated - now before you flame me, I think it's a good song but I think rating it in the 50s is actually pretty fair. It might be slightly higher for me but not in the top30s. I had to youtube Shadows of the Valley because I didn't remember it at the top of my head and wow, that intro made me roll my eyes. When you start ripping yourselves off I feel like it's not the best sign. :lol I also like me some TXF.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2020, 05:46:14 AM »
How the hell did I miss the re-boot of this thread.   :angry:  Not sure if/when I'll have a chance to read thru the last 4 1/2 pages, but I'll give a  :tup to Paschendale at the top.  It's #3 for me.  @ 425... any chance you can post your full list - maybe editted in to the post for Paschendale?

Glad I got in here just in time for my brother-from-down-under.  This will give me a good reason to try and get a better handle on TFF and BoS - I just never really thought much of those albums.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2020, 06:01:44 AM »
How the hell did I miss the re-boot of this thread.   :angry:  Not sure if/when I'll have a chance to read thru the last 4 1/2 pages, but I'll give a  :tup to Paschendale at the top.  It's #3 for me.  @ 425... any chance you can post your full list - maybe editted in to the post for Paschendale?

Glad I got in here just in time for my brother-from-down-under.  This will give me a good reason to try and get a better handle on TFF and BoS - I just never really thought much of those albums.

I won't spoil anything but for those, you probably are better off checking 425's list.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2020, 06:27:55 AM »
Nice! Definitely following.

I just looked at my list I did 7 years ago. I only did 25 apparently, and it was before Book Of Souls.

My fave of the bunch here is The Prisoner, as it would definitely make the second half of my Top 50, as would Revelations probably.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2020, 06:41:40 AM »
I haven't looked at my previous list. 

I will say, there will be many controversial and unpopular opinions here.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2020, 08:28:49 AM »
I knew I was gonna enjoy this list the moment I saw there will be discussions about the key signatures.  :tup

Solid picks in the first batch, with The Edge of darkness truly being a fantastic addition for the list.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2020, 03:22:31 PM »
I knew I was gonna enjoy this list the moment I saw there will be discussions about the key signatures.  :tup

Solid picks in the first batch, with The Edge of darkness truly being a fantastic addition for the list.

Cool mate.  I'll try to add more thoughts on the musical aspects in the descriptions too then.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2020, 05:01:00 PM »
Revelations and The Prisoner are classics for me and would be much higher, probably top 20 or close to it. 2 minutes has never been a favourite but it would be in my top 50 for sure.

Offline 425

« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2020, 11:26:10 PM »

Absolutely, I'll edit that in right now. :tup to Paschendale in the top 3!

60. 2 Minutes to Midnight
59. Shadows of the Valley
58. The Prisoner
57. Revelations
56. The Edge of Darkness

Very much looking forward to odd choices yet very different from me! Here, of course, I placed two of the songs similarly (2MTM and The Prisoner), hard to disagree on those. Shadows of the Valley and The Edge of Darkness were both ones I strongly considered, but wound up leaving out. I like the same parts you like of Shadows, but I feel like it overstays its welcome just a little bit. No complaints on Edge of Darkness, just didn't quite make it.

Revelations is a big favorite for me, but it's hard for me to quantify why I like it so much better than a lot of other songs, so I can't really object to it being in the lower part of a list.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Song Ranking Thread (Currently Ranking: wolfking)
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2020, 11:34:57 PM »
I'll aim to do an update probably every second day.