Author Topic: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- now exploring every roulette submission ever  (Read 140041 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Final Round results in the oven
« Reply #3010 on: July 31, 2020, 08:24:18 AM »
 :corn

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3011 on: July 31, 2020, 08:58:26 AM »
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- The bun in the oven.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3012 on: July 31, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- The bun in the oven.

Not MY oven!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3013 on: July 31, 2020, 09:43:46 AM »
I don't know; I love some of those songs from Sat. Night Fever, and I'm a Gary Numan fan.   Whatever.

And before anyone questions my musical taste, I found this.  I may get it tattooed on my chest:  "“No, Kiss I like because they don’t care what people think of them. They take a chance and it’s worked." - Ritchie Blackmore, 1978

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3014 on: July 31, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »
I don't know; I love some of those songs from Sat. Night Fever, and I'm a Gary Numan fan.   Whatever.

And before anyone questions my musical taste, I found this.  I may get it tattooed on my chest:  "“No, Kiss I like because they don’t care what people think of them. They take a chance and it’s worked." - Ritchie Blackmore, 1978

Get the eyes they had on stage with the spotlights on the fans.  They used that still on the Bent Out Of Shape tour as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3015 on: July 31, 2020, 08:36:30 PM »
WHEN

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3019 on: August 01, 2020, 05:22:00 AM »
It's more like results are in the smoker.  Slow and low baby.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3020 on: August 01, 2020, 05:27:53 AM »
‘When’ is a song by Opeth, from their 1998 album ‘My Arms, Your Hearse’. It is track 3 on that album and it’s 9 minutes and 15 seconds long.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3021 on: August 01, 2020, 11:52:47 AM »
‘When’ is a song by Opeth, from their 1998 album ‘My Arms, Your Hearse’. It is track 3 on that album and it’s 9 minutes and 15 seconds long.
nuggettzzz
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- And the winner is........
« Reply #3022 on: August 01, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »
So.... I liked almost everything this round. And what I liked, I liked a lot. Took a whole damn lot of thought trying to figure out how to rank and score these. Thanks for playing everybody. You've done a damn good job at opening up whole new worlds of music for me. I would love if you could suggest me some albums by each of the artists you sent because I am going to start immediately digging in to this stuff. There's very, very little in this roulette that I don't want to explore further. Everybody sent fantastic stuff at one point or another. Kudos!

Elite: Ben Folds Five [7.9]
1. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
2. Philosophy
3. Song for the Dumped
4. The Last Polka
5. Steven's Last Night In Town

I've only heard one other Ben Folds Five song until now, but I didn't like it, so I was hoping to warm up to these. While I like some of the piano playing, there is a vibe to the songs that isn't very compelling to me and I'm having a hard time describing what about it rubs me the wrong way. I don't like his voice at all, to be honest, and while the music is well played it's not what I'd call exciting to me. I wanted to like this but I'm afraid it just doesn't do anything for me :( The arrangements and the songwriting are interesting, and it has this certain 90s indie... almost dorky? quality to the music that is unlike anything else sent in the roulette, in my opinion. I could see why some people might dig Ben Folds, but so far I don't think he's for me.

Final thoughts: Elite, you've sent so much awesome stuff in this roulette that even if you ended with a whimper, you were some fierce competition throughout the whole thing. Hats off to you. Can't wait to go back to Sublime, Kamasi Washington, and more.

TAC: Gary Numan [8.0]
1. Tracks
2. Metal
3. Oceans
4. Complex
5. Cars

I have such conflicting opinions on this. First of all, I like what he's doing with the synths. Super creepy vibe to all the pads and synths in this but at the same time they sound poppy. Tracks does a great job showing both sides of that. But oh man, this guy's singing voice gets on every one of my nerves. I really don't like it which is a shame because I like a lot of the music underneath. Metal, for example. Shitty riff, shitty vocals... but that haunting synth pad lurking in the back always pulls me back in, even though I can't stand some of the other parts of the song. Oceans is super cool, Complex is okay... and Cars. I do not like that song. I just hate his singing and it ruins it. So there are some super cool things about this! But I hate his singing. Yet this is one of those super rare situations where the music is just interesting enough where I might be able to get over his voice in time, and maybe start to like it. I do like unique voices that are often polarizing and off-putting to others, and who knows, I could sincerely change my mind over time. But for now...

Final thoughts: TAC, I loved your impressions in this roulette, and am grateful you jumped in halfway through. Also very thankful that you can take a joke and can return the ball-busting. Can always count on you to be a great sport and have a lot of fun. Maybe I didn't really love the music, but I just like having you in my roulettes anyway.

Train of Naught: Ibrahim Maalouf [8.3]
1. Intro
2. Maeva in Wonderland
3. Beirut

This was really interesting to hear. The intro is nice for a short piece. Maeva in Wonderland is simply fantastic. I love the sound of the horns and how it builds on the theme. Great memorable melody. Beirut is a really slow burn. About halfway through I'm ready for it to be over with, but then the last minute or so it finally kicks into high gear with that climactic guitar solo. So I'd say it's a little hit and miss, but for sure the horn playing is top notch, I love his sound and the rich melodies he creates.

Final thoughts: Train, you've sent some of my most favorite stuff this roulette. I cannot wait to listen to more Clarence Clarity, clipping., Federation of the Disco Pimp etc. Thank you for playing, you've got some really bizarre music, you know.

HOF: Mike Keneally [8.4]
1. Dee 'N' A
2. Oh Angel
3. Pretty Enough For Girls
4. Drumsticks
5. Hang Tough
6. I Was Not Ready For You

Okay, this is a mixed bag, and I'll tell you what the main reason is: it's the singing. Not a big fan of it. But other than that, the music is wonderful. There's a real pleasant vibe to all this music. But the other reason is that the songs from Nonkertompf are the ones I am most impressed by. Is the rest of the album like this, where the pieces are short instrumental works, almost like interludes? Because I loved them. They all have a rich, gorgeous sound. So although it's a mixed bag, I really do love the instrumental stuff and think I'll give the Nonkertompf record a listen.

Final thoughts: I got a good idea of the kind of music you like HOF, at least outside of rock and prog. You sent some really beautiful, emotional music that I connected with a lot and several of them like the Paul Buchanan are quite enjoyable for easy listening at home. Thank you for playing and expanding my library that much further.

Buddyhunter1: Anamanaguchi [8.4]
1. Lorem Ipsum (Arctic Anthem)
2. Endless Fantasy
3. Tear
4. We Die

Love how melodic and dance-y this is, especially Endless Fantasy. Tear is interesting because it's short and feels like it never quite reaches the peak it's building to... until the end. Love that enormous but soft synth pad. Tear is a very pretty song.  I think We die takes a while to get going to, but when it does, it's good. I'm definitely interested in hearing more Anamanaguchi. Based on this it seems like it's catchy and upbeat and synthy enough for my tastes.

Final thoughts: I'm glad you joined this roulette, Buddy. I've had the Bravely Default songs you sent me set as my phone alarm and ringtone music for weeks now, and I never get tired of hearing them. Lots of very interesting electronic music from your end and although I can't say I'm interested in playing Undertale again it was nice to get an appreciation for the music.

Evermind: Didier Marouani & Space [8.5]
1. Symphony
2. Prison
3. Deliverance
4. The Very Last Song

There's something strangely charming about this music. I like the sound of the synths a lot and how big the drums sound. Prison is catchy as heck. I love the sound of the choir in Deliverance. It lends a quality to the music I have a hard time describing, it's weird hearing it over a dance beat but it works so well. The Very Last Song took days to grow on me before I was sure I liked it, that one's a real slow burn in my opinion. I wasn't sure what to think at first, but this is very curious and I'd like to check out the whole record/concert actually.

Final thoughts: While I may not have been floored by your submissions, I could always count on getting some smooth electronic stuff from you, Ruslan. Lots of interesting stuff was sent. I'm excited to listen to more Amethystium in particular, and the Didier Marouani & Space songs have me really curious, too. I'm going to revisit all your submissions eventually but those are probably my top picks right now.

ariich: Bizali [8.5]
1. Intro
2. Lucille
3. Round 3
4. Everybody Here
5. Uh-huh
6. Nothing to Lose

I really, really like her voice. But the star of all this is the bonus track, Nothing to Lose! Love the energy to this piece and it reminds me a lot of that eclectic band Caravan Palace you submitted at the start. I gotta have more like that! Not to say the others are bad, though. Everybody Here and Uh-huh are my other favorites. This group seems to have some really good bass playing which gives the songs a tasty groove. I'm going to check out the Thanks Anna album, unless they have more stuff like Nothing to Lose elsewhere, in which case I'd love some suggestions.

Final thoughts: It's been a joy listening to your picks, Rich. You came out the gate swinging with Caravan Palace (eager to listen to them again) and kept trying new things. There's some great jazz in there waiting to be heard.

Puppies_On_Acid: Scott Walker [8.5]
1. It's Raining Today
2. Copenhagen
3. The Seventh Seal
4. The Electrician
5. The Old Man's Back Again (Dedicated To The Neo-Stalinist Regime)

This was a trip. He has a lovely voice. It's Raining Today is very pretty with lots of emotion, and Copenhagen even moreso, which sounds like this old school crooner type of music. I really dig that. The Seventh Seal is really cool! It sounds like this old school western storytelling type of music. But The Electrician reminded me of Farmer in the City, and I don't like it. I mean, I think it does a great job at creating this unsettling atmosphere, I just don't like it. The effects on his voice and the way he sings skeeves me out. I can't pinpoint exactly what it reminds me of. Certain Pink Floyd material that I've avoided for a long time, I think. The Old Man's Back Again isn't bad, but it doesn't stand out like the other songs do. Just a nice inoffensive piece (good bass though!). I'm really interested in hearing more of this cinematic side of his music based on It's Raining Today and Copenhagen, and The Seventh Seal to some extent.

Final thoughts: I think Mos Def was the highlight of your submissions, but you always sent something different and interesting, which was the whole point of this roulette. You took that premise and ran with it. Great job, buddy!

jingle.boy: Saturday Night Fever [8.7]
1. Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
2. Bee Gees - Night Fever
3. Tavares - More Than A Woman
4. Walter Murphy - A Fifth of Beethoven
5. The Trammps - Disco Inferno

Now this is how you cheat. I already know Stayin' Alive and Disco Inferno, but I've never sat down and really paid attention to them. So let's talk about the Bee Gees. Stayin' Alive kicks ass, but I've never heard Night Fever and now I see where Daft Punk got some of their sound from. Barry Gibb's singing is super cheesy but I mean, hey, it just works. Ultra catchy beats and singing, disco strings, I love it, you nailed the right kind of cheesy pop for my taste. I like the flute in More Than A Woman. I absolutely love the prominence of strings and lush orchestrations in 70s pop music like this. A Fifth of Beethoven - very clever of you to slip in some classical with a modern(?) twist. But it ain't no Disco Inferno. I've heard that song a lot without knowing who did it and I dig it. That hook is legendary imo. Maybe I should watch Saturday Night Fever.

Final thoughts: So happy you changed your mind and decided to play in this. It was a rocky start, but you sent some home runs after you found your footing. There's some really great unexpected picks in your submissions and I'm eager to get back to Nikki Yanofsky and Christina Aguilera.

Bolsters: All Hail The Silence [8.8]
1. Looking Glass
2. The Alarm
3. Broken Satellite

I recommended this group to a friend this week and he immediately bought the CD, so hooray. I'll be listening to this one soon, too. It's great synthwave type stuff. I really like all three of these, but The Alarm is my favorite. I just love the steady beat, the whole vibe, that hook is straight up magical, man. Fits like a glove into my synthwave library. Great songs!

Final thoughts: You know you're the synthwave guy in my eyes now, right? It was game over after CHVRCHES. You and Shadow both sent my absolute #1 favorite discovery of this roulette, so thank you thank you thank you.

romdrums: Chick Corea (Akoustic Band) [8.9]
1. Humpty Dumpty (live)
2. Autumn Leaves (live)

I am so sold on Chick Corea that I recently watched an hour long video of him constructing a song from scratch and working it out with some musicians. Just fascinating to watch that guy work and play. I mean, all the guys on these two songs are great to listen to, they're monster players, but Chick is the star and I am blown away by his playing. Literally my only complaint is that like a lot of jazz stuff, it's hard to follow what the actual motif of a given song actually is. For the most part I can pick out licks that might reprise later on in the performance, but there's so much soloing that it makes a lot of the performances all blur together for me. And maybe that's on me, but it's not a dig at the music as if it's not interesting, it's just hard to think back to, "Humpty Dumpty, that piece that goes like... uh..." y'know? Fantastic pieces to listen to though. Master players.

Final thoughts: Man, it was a delight having you in this roulette, romdrums. You sent some particularly bold stuff and sometimes that paid off big time. Chick Corea, Keith Emerson, etc. - lots of really meaty, substantial music. Thank you!

wolfking: Allan Holdsworth [8.9]
1. City Nights
2. Atavachron
3. Tokyo Dream
4. Ruhkukah

The synths sound great for this although they have that cheap 80s sound. Smart playing all around (common theme this round). Atavachron might be my favorite on this because of all the keyboard and piano playing. I think I remember reading something about Holdsworth's style of playing and how he was influenced by saxophone players? I can hear that at times in this music, unless I'm just making things up. I think that's really cool because it changes how he phrases the music. Sometimes I get lost in the meandering but that could just be my noob ears tripping up from time to time. I would love to check out an album or two from Holdsworth to get started, perhaps Hard Hat Area and Atavachron? This is right in the pocket with Chick Corea and Trio in Tokyo in my opinion.

Final thoughts: Eric Johnson, Allan Holdsworth, an Aussie pop girl, and a whole bunch of 80s pop rock. My man, you chose things I like. Thanks for playing again :)

Indiscipline: Trio In Tokyo (Michel Petrucciani, Steve Gadd, & Anthony Jackson) [9.0]
1. September Second (live)
2. Cantabile (live)
3. Little Peace in C for U (live)

Similar to the Chick Corea in this round (and others, like Return to Forever for example) it's a bit hard to tell what the motif or theme of a piece is. Fascinating music to listen to, just hard to pick out what the definitive melody of a work is. I kind of like having that anchor for a piece. Or maybe I'm just too small-brained to recognize the jazzy structure of it since I'm still getting my feet wet listening to the genre. No matter what it is, it's still highly enjoyable to listen to. This Michel Petrucciani fellow is a great pianist. I like the repetitive he does in Cantabile that goes on for seemingly forever. Charming easy lick. Great mood to all this stuff, I'd love to check out more by any of these three guys. Lots of masterful playing in this round, this is among the best.

Final thoughts: My man, I knew from the moment you signed up you were gonna send some interesting stuff and I'm so glad you didn't disappoint. Rondo Veneziano, all the Al Di Meola, Trio in Tokyo, and Chess - simply sublime, I'm very grateful for these contributions.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3023 on: August 01, 2020, 12:09:56 PM »

Sacul: Perturbator [9.0]
1. Miami Disco
2. Sexualizer (feat. Flash Arnold)
3. Humans Are Such Easy Prey
4. Vantablack

This final round is weird. Elite sent king music, Stadler sent Sacul music, Sacul sent Bolsters music. This is great! I've heard a lot of my synthwave friends mention Perturbator like they're one of the synthwave pioneers. I don't know anything about synthwave lore but I do know this is kickass and right up the alley I'm wandering these days. Sexualizer has it all going on. That is a kickass song with huge energy. Humans Are Such Easy Prey is good, too, and I dig the massive synth pads a lot. Vantablack has a cool club kind of energy. I really want to check out more Perturbator so maybe I'll start with the Sexualizer EP since that's my favorite here. I suppose my one criticism is that I'm not into the vocals, what little there are, but it's not a big deal.

Final thoughts: I'm happy you had plenty of Sacul music to send, even if sometimes it didn't connect with me. Saltillo, Perturbator, and more however stick out in my mind as some of your best. You have very deep pockets full of glitchy, ambient, lo-fi beats and shit like that and I dig it :2metal:

Big Hath: Chick Corea Elektric Band [9.1]
1. Beneath The Mask
2. One Of Us Is Over 40
3. Quartet No. 1

This is brilliant. Of the two Chick Corea submissions this round, both are wonderful, but this is my favorite. All the synth stuff and just the vibe of these songs reminds me of The Rippingtons, a smooth jazz group I love. This is excellent! It's just so fun to listen to those first two songs and all the keyboard work in them. And I have to give props to the bass playing in Quartet No. 1. Lots of great bass playing this round and this is no exception. I love what he's playing even when Chick is doing a piano solo. At times it reminds me a bit of Herbie Hancock's Dolphin Dance, one of my favorite pieces. The brightness of the piano appeals to me. Wonderful stuff dude!

Final thoughts: I'm glad this time nothing bad happened and you were able to get a full roulette in because I knew you had some great music to send, but wow, you really impressed me with a lot of your submissions, dude. I've been thinking about Jason Isbell's music all roulette and am excited to get to him first, among all the other great stuff you picked.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Run The Jewels [9.1]
1. Legend Has It
2. Call Ticketron
3. Lie, Cheat, Steal
4. All Due Respect
5. Nobody Speak

I listened to RTJ's new album when it came out recently and I really liked it, so you chose some good picks from RTJ 2 and 3. I really dig this. I know nothing about RTJ, but the beats are hard, the lyrics are great, and I dig the flows. I feel like I should've been listening to them for years. Hard to pick a favorite, there's stuff I love in all the songs. I'd say Lie, Cheat, Steal and Nobody Speak are the top favorites, maybe Legend Has It, too. But they're all great, thanks for sending them, dude.

Final thoughts: You see-sawed the extremes in this roulette, my guy, but the good picks were GOOD. You yourself actually sent my #1 favorite submission in the roulette with your choice of CHVRCHES songs, so for that alone, I'm very thankful. You the man, dawg. It was nice getting a variety of certifiably weird shit sometimes, like the Homestuck music.

Stadler: Moby [9.2]
1. Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?
2. Bodyrock
3. Natural Blues
4. Porcelain

I'm genuinely shocked at how much this sounds like Sacul music and how he's never once tried to send Moby. This is REALLY good, dude. Heard about Moby my whole life and thought he was a techno artist or something. Bodyrock sounds like a song I may have heard somewhere in my life, but I can't be sure. It's a nice pumped up tune, but I prefer Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? and ESPECIALLY Natural Blues. Both of those are fantastic, Natural Blues' vocal hook is addictive and I can't get it out of my head. Porcelain is beautiful - partially from the lush beat, but it's that watery piano that puts it over the top. Absolutely wonderful songs, I need more.

Final thoughts: From Elvis to Moby and more, you picked lots of stuff I dug in a big way, Stads. Always had something curious up your sleeve, sometimes safe, sometimes not so safe, but it usually worked in your favor. Gave me a lot of new stuff to chew on. Tori Amos is a priority for me now.

kingshmegland: Béla Fleck and the Flecktones [9.3]
1. The West County
2. The Sinister Minister
3. Sex In A Pan
4. UFO TOFU
5. Life Without Elvis

Man, where to even start with this. This is outstanding! Everything about this is great. This is a showcase of extraordinary musicianship and just really fun music. Love the catchy themes and melodies over some incredible bass playing (Victor Wooten?). I love the harmonica, whoever's playing that is amazing. It's hard for me to pick a favorite. UFO Tofu is going to be the record I check out first, for sure. These songs are produced really well too, they're pleasant to listen to because of how clear everything is.

Final thoughts: I'm really happy you weren't ever salty about your scores, buddy, or at least didn't show it. I wish you had sent stuff like your last submission for the whole roulette, because that was easily the COOLEST thing you've ever sent me in a roulette. Love having you play in my roulettes!

Podaar: Joe Bonamassa [9.4]
1. Mountain Climbing
2. Drive
3. No Good Place For The Lonely

I don't know if I've ever listened to Bonamassa until now, but this was amazing. Without knowing a thing about him or how old he is, so much of his voice and the way he sings reminds me of Jorn, one of my most favorite singers. These songs have infectious groove. Love the vibe on Mountain Climbing. Drive is my favorite. It has such a neat summer night kind of vibe with one of the best hooks of this whole round. No Good Place For The Lonely is a great blues-y rocker. I love the slides in the riff and how punchy the rhythms are. This kicks major ass, thanks for introducing me to his music.

Final thoughts: My guy, you took the idea of this roulette and ran with it. Just between Isao Tomita, Bob James & Keiko Matsui, and Joe Bonamassa, you stood out big time. Very happy to have you in one of my roulettes!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3024 on: August 01, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »

(I tried to check this myself for accuracy but please let me know if my math is not correct)
1. Indi:   9.1 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 7.9 / 8.9 / 9.3 / 9.3 / 9.0 = [70.5]
2. Big Hath:    8.8 / 9.1 / 8.2 / 8.4 / 8.4 / 9.0 / 9.3 / 9.1 = [70.3]
3. romdrums:    8.4 / 8.4 / 9.0 / 8.7 / 8.5 / 8.8 / 9.1 / 8.9 = [69.8]
4. Bolsters:    9.2 / 9.3 / 8.4 / 8.0 / 7.6 / 9.2 / 9.2 / 8.8 = [69.7]
5. wolfking:    8.7 / 8.9 / 8.1 / 8.4 / 9.1 / 8.5 / 9.0 / 8.9 = [69.6]
6. Elite:   9.0 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 8.1 / 9.2 / 8.8 / 8.7 / 7.9 = [69.4]
7. Stadler:    8.2 / 8.8 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 7.9 / 8.6 / 8.7 / 9.2 = [69.1]
8. Pup:    9.2 / 8.6 / 7.9 / 8.3 / 8.7 / 8.7 / 8.5 / 8.5 = [68.4]
9. jingle:    8.0 / 8.0 / 7.6 / 9.1 / 9.3 / 9.4 / 8.2 / 8.7 = [68.3]
10. ariich:    8.9 / 8.8 / 8.1 / 8.6 / 8.1 / 8.3 / 8.8 / 8.5 = [68.1]
11. Sacul:    7.8 / 8.5 / 9.1 / 8.1 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 7.8 / 9.0 = [68.0]
11. Podaar:   8.3 / 8.4 / 7.7 / 8.8 / 8.2 / 8.1 / 9.1 / 9.4 = [68.0]
13. HOF:    7.9 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 8.5 / 8.3 / 8.5 / 8.9 / 8.4 = [67.5]
14. Train:    8.1 / 9.4 / 7.9 / 9.2 / 8.8 / 7.9 / 7.7 / 8.3 = [67.3]
14. Shadow:    8.2 / 9.4 / 7.4 / 8.2 / 8.0 / 8.9 / 8.1 / 9.1 = [67.3]
16. Buddy:    8.5 / 9.2 / 8.7 / 8.0 / 7.8 / 8.2 / 8.4 / 8.4 = [67.2]
17. Evermind:   8.6 / 8.7 / 8.0 / 8.0 / 9.0 / 7.9 / 7.9 / 8.5 = [66.6]
18. king:    7.9 / 8.6 / 7.6 / 8.0 / 9.0 / 8.4 / 7.7 / 9.3 = [66.5]
19. TAC:   32.1 / --- / --- / --- / 7.7 / 8.2 / 5.0 / 8.0 = [61.0]

CONGRATULATIONS INDISCIPLINE!!

Artists sent during the Lead-Free Roulette:
Return to Forever
Caravan Palace
Mos Def
múm
The Midnight
Kip Winger/Winger
Hiroyuki Sawano
Sublime
Amethystium
Steve Earle
Sarah McLachlan
Hall & Oates
Frank Zappa
Federation of the Disco Pimp
Nicolas Jaar
Tower of Power
Jean-Luc Ponty

CHVRCHES
Jason Isbell
Janelle Monáe
Revo
Submotion Orchestra
Icehouse
Ulver
The Weeknd
Stevie Wonder
Enigma
Elvis Presley
Squarepusher
Vince Gill
Joe Jackson
Justice
Sweet Billy Pilgrim
Damian Wilson

Mree
Kamasi Washington
Toby Fox
Kevin Gilbert/Giraffe
Pentangle
The Cat Empire
Keith Emerson
Jimmy Barnes
Tenhi
Jeff Beck
Vulfpeck
Saltillo
Easily Embarrassed
Bohren & der Club of Gore
Paul Buchanan/The Blue Nile
Bullmark/Arion Salazar
The Feeling
Duran Duran

Clarence Clarity
Tori Amos
George Michael/Wham
Bob James & Keiko Matsui
Gogo Penguin
Regina Spektor
Crowded House/Split Enz/Neil Finn
Eric Johnson
Imogen Heap
Cloud Cult
Algiers
Akira Yamaoka
HAIM
Harmonix Music Systems
Gareth Coker/Ori and the Blind Forest
CPR
Janis Ian

Cher/Christina Aguilera
Joe Henderson
Tears for Fears
Mr. Mister
Joan Baez
Al Di Meola
clipping.
Boards of Canada
The Black Queen
Art Blakey
Go West
Peter Gabriel
Derek Trucks
Everything Everything
Second Person
California Guitar Trio
Infected Mushroom
Michael Schenker
Cœur de pirate

Massive Attack
Delerium
Depeche Mode
Tangerine Dream
Celldweller
Blue Food
John Farnham
The Fixx
Nickel Creek
Harry Styles
Björk
John Coltrane
Heilung
Jaco Pastorius
TR/ST
Purity Ring
Rondò Veneziano
Nikki Yanofsky

Snarky Puppy
Drab City
The Clientele
Julien Baker
Pendulum
Kate Bush
Homestuck
LeBrock
Chess (musical)
Owl Eyes
Miranda Lambert
Dave Weckl
Alkinoos Ioannidis
Alberto Ginastera
Hamilton (musical)
Isao Tomita
Squeeze
Crazy Joe and the Variable Speed Band

Ben Folds Five
Ibrahim Maalouf
Gary Numan
Mike Keneally
Anamanaguchi
Didier Marouani & Space
Bizali
Scott Walker
Saturday Night Fever
Chick Corea Akoustic Band
Chick Corea Elektric Band
Allan Holdsworth
Trio In Tokyo
All Hail The Silence
Perturbator
Run The Jewels
Moby
Béla Fleck and the Flecktones
Joe Bonamassa

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3025 on: August 01, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »
Okay, I am exhausted. I am not running another roulette until I have listened to the majority of everything I want to explore from all my past roulettes. It's been fun, but I need a very long break to just appreciate all the music in front of me. Thanks so much everybody  :biggrin:

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3026 on: August 01, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »
Congratulations Indi, whenever you get around to seeing this! :biggrin:

Glad you like the 'guchi - definitely listen to their two most recent albums. They be good.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
also congratulation to indiscipline
« Reply #3027 on: August 01, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »

Hey man thanks for having me and I'm glad you liked some of my shit.

Online HOF

« Reply #3028 on: August 01, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »
Congrats to Indiscipline!

Thanks for organizing this, Walrus. It was a blast!

As far as Mike Keneally, he has about a billion albums and it ranges from heavy Zappa type stuff to jazzy and acoustic stuff, and then there’s stuff like Nonkertompf. That album is pretty much like what you heard in my entries, though I maybe sent some of the less weird tracks. It’s all very stream of consciousness, but it does sound great. I get not liking his voice. It was hang up for me for a while too. That Beer for Dolphins album is a personal favorite though, so it’s worth giving it a chance to see if you can get past the voice IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3029 on: August 01, 2020, 12:39:01 PM »
After three last place entries to start off, finishing top 10 is a win in my books. 

Duran Duran rated as one of the worst scores in the whole roulette is criminal though.   ;)

Now, go dig in to these 1000 or so songs/artists you've gotten from all of your roulettes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online HOF

« Reply #3030 on: August 01, 2020, 12:44:33 PM »
After three last place entries to start off, finishing top 10 is a win in my books. 

Duran Duran rated as one of the worst scores in the whole roulette is criminal though.   ;)

Now, go dig in to these 1000 or so songs/artists you've gotten from all of your roulettes.

Kip Winger scored way too low as well IMO. ;-)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: August 01, 2020, 12:55:29 PM »
Congrats Indi! 

Mike, not salty at all.  I'm glad you loved Bela Fleck and The Flecktones.   UFO TOFU is my favorite album from them.  Say them headline and open for Dave Matthews.  Geat live band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3032 on: August 01, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
So bottom score wins amirite!

Coming in last in a Lead Free Roulette. That’s all win in my book! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3033 on: August 01, 2020, 02:15:54 PM »
Well, that’s disappointing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: August 01, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »
Top 5.   :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline romdrums

Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Final Round hangman
« Reply #3035 on: August 01, 2020, 03:08:51 PM »
I think I might know who's winning this thing.

I might have results up this weekend. Tonight I'll be dicking around with my new computer since my monitor arrived today. Yayayayay

Congrats, Indi!

What makes you so sure it's Indi? Maybe it's not Elite OR Indi! :corn :corn

As soon as I saw Indi sent something with Steve Gadd on drums, I knew he won.   ;D

I’ll take top three though! Happy to be on the podium!  And congrats again to Indi!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3036 on: August 01, 2020, 04:36:47 PM »
Hell yeah, Perturbator kicks ass indeed :metal. Don't worry about vocals, most of his music is instrumental.

Congrats Indi!

Mr Walrus, thanks for having me! I'm a little bummed I couldn't claim my crown a third time, but at least I could get you into some cool Sacul music again, and that's enough for me. I'll send you a list of records per each submission soon.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3037 on: August 01, 2020, 04:42:59 PM »
Fock me on a park bench and call me Aqualung!

I'm so glad I sent you stuff you've found interesting, Mike, and I do thank you for daring to organise such a fun, engaging, and different kind of roulette - realistically speaking, the only kind of roulette I have some chance to truly contend in or win.

Kudos to all the contenders for the scope and general taste of the submissions; discovering (or re-descovering) your tunes every week has been as fun as checking hangmans/impressions/results and partaking in the overall craziness and TAC-flavoured great comedy.

Thanks for the kind congrats; rest assured this success isn't going to change me. I'm still that humble guy from Bethlehem.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3038 on: August 01, 2020, 08:13:55 PM »
Thanks for having me and congrats to Indi! :metal

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: August 01, 2020, 10:31:24 PM »
Bottom 3 :metal

Congrats Alex!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3040 on: August 02, 2020, 06:43:45 AM »
Wow, my short and less than dazzling roulette career goes out on very high note!

I'm so glad you liked JB (and really surprised since you yawned at Derek Trucks). To my mind he's the most creative blues-man out there. Like John Petrucci, he gets criticism from genre fans for being too precise of a player--which somehow magically means he doesn't have "feel". But as you noticed, the slide in the riff of NGPftL is the kind of creativity the blues needs to stay fresh. And I'm with you on his voice, but he had to grow into it. His earliest albums aren't quite so effortless, vocally, so if you go listen to them you'll see some contrast. He's skilled at a myriad of traditional sub-genres of blues, and has always been brave enough to throw in a rock sensibility... or swing, or country, or big band, or funk...etc. I'm a fan.

Thanks for having me along for the ride. I appreciate your shout out about me running with the theme. I enjoyed it...but, you wouldn't believe some of the playlist I was putting together that I abandoned: Native American Flute Music, Hawiian Sovereignty Protest Music (yes, this is music I own.)  :lol

And congrats, Alessandro! I knew you had it in ya.  And I'm sure your relieved now that you got it out.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3041 on: August 02, 2020, 11:32:27 AM »
so close!

When do you want me to PM you the rest of the stuff I didn't get to?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: August 02, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
So many people to respond to, I'll just thank you all once again for playing, this was an absolute blast every week to listen to so many types of music. Elite, you sound bummed, I'm so sorry  :lol Podaar, I would still love to hear those things. I love Native American flute stuff (though not in my symphonic metal, Nightwish :getoffmylawn: ) and the Hawaiian stuff sounds interesting, too. Hath, go ahead and PM me the stuff whenever you want!

I'm probably going to update this thread with my thoughts as I go through each artist again. Or maybe I'll make a new thread to catalog all my roulette discovery re-discoveries? Not sure. There's a lot to go through but I know how to approach it, so...

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3043 on: August 02, 2020, 02:02:27 PM »
Well, I am a bit bummed probably. I was in second place since round 3 and in the lead for the last three rounds. Finishing 6th after the final round then sucks, to be honest, especially since I really thought you would enjoy fun piano driven music.

I personally think the selection of Ben Folds tracks you got is awesome, especially The Last Polka, which is a savage track. Amazing. I could have gone with something else entirely (like more jazz), but I wanted to send you lots of varied stuff.

I’m glad you enjoyed most of what I sent though and thanks for running this! Enjoy exploring new music :)
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3044 on: August 02, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »
You were definitely one of the most consistent players, for sure! And that just proves how nonsensical my tastes can seem. I SHOULD like Ben Folds! But I don't seem to. I do appreciate taking risks and sending a variety though. I feel like sometimes the scoring systems interfere with that, to some extent.