Author Topic: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- now exploring every roulette submission ever  (Read 140084 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 7 comparisons omg
« Reply #2765 on: July 21, 2020, 10:55:09 AM »
My Round 8 entry is still fairly curious, I may finish on a high note. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2766 on: July 21, 2020, 10:57:31 AM »
Boooooooooooooooooooooooo
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2767 on: July 21, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
I have figured out rankings. Writeups have begun. I could have results tomorrow!  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2768 on: July 21, 2020, 01:49:38 PM »
Kinda expected after last round's high score, but hope my tracks are an 8 at least.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2769 on: July 21, 2020, 01:57:31 PM »
Kinda expected after last round's high score, but hope my tracks are an 8 at least.

I'm almost more concerned for how Train will feel seeing the results, rather than you, since you're dunking on his choice of artist from last round  :lol :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: July 21, 2020, 03:16:50 PM »
A green arrow.  I like that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2771 on: July 21, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »
A green arrow.  I like that.

:corn!!

Results will be posted in the morning because I'm going to sleep on the final scores and writeups. I have a couple more to do, and the scores are all roughly finished, but I want to be sure on some of these before the finals.

Also this round has the widest range of scores yet.  Be scared and prepare something killer for the last round if you haven't sent already :hat

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Well after one of the highest (the highest?) scores of the roulette, a v was inevitable.  Still is it just v, or V, or VVVVV ??

I cling to the hope that "corny" doesn't necessarily equate with "bad" or "unenjoyable".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Train and Shadow both hit a 9.4 in round 2 with CHVRCHES.  :corn
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 04:50:46 AM by The Walrus »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2774 on: July 21, 2020, 05:32:37 PM »
Also this round has the widest range of scores yet. 

Yay, lowest score ever!

Be scared and prepare something killer for the last round if you haven't sent already :hat

You know it. I sent a killer!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Train and Shadow both hit a 9.4 in round 2 with CHVRCHES.  :corn
I didn’t send CHVRCHES,  but I think The Weeknd got 9.4, is that the highest score so far then?

About Massive Attack, don’t be concerned please! Massive Attack are an incredible group and have quite a big range of sound, easily one of my favourite artists. Sacul is right to re-try this one, and if he’s able to convince you of a side of them you like more then I’m only happy. To be honest, I’d be happy to send you a compilation of stuff more similar to Atlas Air if you like, since you liked that song.

I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t go with Pendulum after you liked that song I sent, they’re also a favourite of mine but for some reason I didn’t follow up on them, it seems like they’re fairing well with you. Can highly recommend In Silico, not a bad track on it. (The album that the song Different is on)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wednesday 10pm here.  FFS.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's 7:45 AM where it matters.  :biggrin: Train, you're right, oops! And yes, I'd love some MA suggestions as I plan to follow up with almost every artist in this roulette, since i have everything cataloged now.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 7 RESULTS!
« Reply #2778 on: July 22, 2020, 09:05:27 AM »
As always, I feel bad about anybody who may be disappointed with their scores, but I do plan on following up with almost everybody sent in this roulette, so you're still getting me to check out your submissions. That makes you all winners to me  :loser: HOWEVER, we can see who's got the best chances at coming in first. And it's still up in the air for a number of you. Hit me with your best shot for the final round, ya'll. I want all home runs!

TAC: Crazy Joe and the Variable Speed Band  [5.0]
1. Little Puffies
2. Ice Cream
3. You
4. Stranded In The Jungle
5. Eugene

Man, honestly dude, I don't have anything good to say about this, I'm literally still not sure if this was supposed to be a joke or not. It gets points simply because Ice Cream left me holding my head in my hands crying laughing for the entire duration and tbh that's a hell of a feat. I really don't mean to be insulting but it is truly that bad.

kingshmegland: Squeeze [7.7]
1. Hourglass
2. Another Nail In My Heart
3. Tempted
4. Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)
5. Black Coffee in Bed

I really can't rank this any higher for a few reason, chiefly among them being that it's just pretty generic rock. Stadler sent me Mussels in a previous roulette and it wasn't bad but didn't impress me, and honestly I think I like it less now than I did back then. I don't dig this much at all unfortunately, sorry man! I guess they do a good job of creating some lighter, fun rock, but it's just not engaging me. It's so corny! Okay, look, I said I don't like the singer, but he can sing. Kind of a Damian Wilson situation here, I don't like him, but he's far from bad. He certainly fits the band at least. And I do like Tempted! But it's such a plain radio rock song that I already knew.

Train of Naught: Drab City [7.7]
1. Entering Drab City
2. Working For The Men
3. Hand On My Pocket
4. Another Time
5. Devil Doll
6. Just Me & You

Honestly it sounds like Massive Attack took some pills and got all fucked up. Seriously, though, it's so - dare I say it - drab. Been trying very hard to get into this but it's not doing much for me. It all sounds very bleak and kind of puts me in a funk. The beats are chill and it's nice for being low key type of music but with the competition this round it is what it is. I'm still interested in checking out the full record which I might as well do soon because it's their only album (and it's from this year, which means it'll join my 2020 listening collection!). To be totally honest, this is a submission with one of two outcomes a year from now: I will either totally forget about this artist, or it will grow on me and I'll feel bad about ranking it this low. Who knows!

Sacul: Massive Attack [7.8]
1. Safe From Harm
2. Euro Child
3. Teardrop
4. Voodoo In My Blood

Oy vey. Okay. Relatively speaking, yes, a 7.8 is a poor score in this roulette. But - BUT! - I did like some of this. It just fared poorly against the competition. That said, I think Voodoo In My Blood has more going for it than the normal Massive Attack tracks here. I think that song has some creativity and momentum to the beat that the others lack in my opinion, there's an energy I dig to it, something about it makes it more memorable to me than the rest. And it's all pleasant enough, but after all the Massive Attack I've heard, I think I'm comfortable banning them from roulettes and exploring them on my own, when I get around to them. Something tells me they don't ever kick up the tempo or energy, which is a disappointment, but I'm getting a feel for their sound and maybe I'll like it more if I just immerse myself into a full album? Would love to know what their best is so I can start with that.

Evermind: Julien Baker [7.9]
1. Over
2. Appointments
3. Everything to Help You Sleep
4. Hurt Less

Man, this has a beautiful sound to it. Kind of feels like the clouds parting after a gentle storm. The problem is these songs all sound exactly alike to me, and they're very sleepy. They're pretty and I can feel the emotion in them, though, which counts for something, and she has a great voice. But I do hope there's a bit more variety when I check Julien Baker's music out later. From this assortment, it just seems too one note, but as always I'm not going to write them off just from an off batch.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Homestuck [8.1]
1. Pumpkin Party in Sea Hitler's Water Apocalypse
2. October
3. Moonsetter
4. 24 Even in Death (T'Morra's Belly Mix)

This is curious. There are things I like a lot about this, but also some parts that grate on me, and parts that go in one ear and out the other. Most of the last song leaves no impression with me unfortunately. October has a really nice rag feel in the middle there, but I don't like that chromatic descending motif at all. Pumpkin Party and Moonsetter have some fun synth lines and I like the tonal qualities of the electronic sounds. Those two pieces have me curious if there's, like, an album or more music. It's an eclectic batch of music. There is this mysterious fog around the music like perhaps I'm missing something by not reading the comic, but some of the music was pleasant enough. But, just like the comic, it seems very quirky, almost too much at times for me.

jingle.boy: Hamilton [8.2]
1. My Shot
2. You'll Be Back
3. Satisfied
4. Cabinet Battle #2
5. Washington On Your Side

Okay... so... I admire this a lot. It's fresh, unique, and ballsy to mix Broadway with hip hop. And it's super cool that they're using legit, actual singing while rapping. But that's also why it's so freaking corny. Rapping with such clear diction about American historical figures is just super cheesy to me. I'm not really a fan of the hooks either. It's pretty interesting to listen to and has a lot of artistic merit but it's not quite good enough to convince me to watch the musical.

Buddyhunter1: Pendulum [8.4]
1. Watercolour
2. Crush
3. The Island, Part 1 (Dawn)
4. The Island, Part 2 (Dusk)

I'd be lying if I said any of these come close to being as good as The Fountain, honestly. That said... Can't believe I slept on the rest of this album if these tracks are any indication of what I've been missing out on. This is fun and easy to bob my head to. They're active and engaging. I kind of miss that extreme drum & bass element of The Fountain, though - was hoping to hear more of that. The first two songs are close to that, but not quite as crazy. Good stuff though, there's a watery texture to the songwriting which I like, all the synths flow well and complement each other. Going to revisit this album now, so thanks for this.

Puppies_On_Acid: Kate Bush [8.5]
1. King of the Mountain
2. Cloudbusting
3. Night of the Swallow
4. Breathing

Okay so hear me out, I avoided Kate Bush for many years because Wuthering Heights is an abomination and her singing in that song is like nails on a chalkboard to me. King of the Mountain isn't bad. Has kind of a weird vibe to it but I can dig it. Cloudbusting is the diamond here, something about that simple string motif just works, man, and her singing is fantastic here, I really like it. Night of the Swallow however is almost unbearable, and Breathing doesn't hold my attention very long. So it's about half and half here but it's honestly better than I expected. I'm very curious (but also very skeptical still) about more of Kate Bush's work. She seems like a very weird, eccentric musician and there's gotta be something 'more' to her work that I'm eager to discover. Plus a couple of my friends stan her something fierce so it'll give me something to talk about.

Elite: Snarky Puppy [8.7]
1. Binky
2. Lingus

I'm probably going to get murdered for this comparison but I hear some bits of Thank You Scientist and Moon Safari in here. I think the Moon Safari comes from the brilliant keyboard playing (the piano at times in Binky gives this euphoric sonic quality to the music that I typically don't hear in jazz and makes it sound a bit more proggy imo, and the synth work on Lingus is wonderful). The Thank You Scientist comes from the steady rhythms in Binky and the simple lines the horns are playing over them. Hell, I hear moments in Lingus that remind me of Levin Minnemann Rudess's records, that prog/jazz/improv-heavy sound. And it's really good! Hard to say if it's memorable, per se, but it's very fun to listen to, so I think the score is fair. Everything I've heard from Snarky Puppy is pretty darn good, although I'm still waiting to hear 'that song' that blows me away, but don't misinterpret that as me disliking them, I consider myself a fan for sure.

Stadler: Miranda Lambert [8.7]
1. Runnin' Just in Case
2. Tin Man
3. Vice
4. I've Got Wheels

Never heard of Miranda Lambert, but this music reminds me of Monica Heldal so much. Almost like a slightly older, American version of Monica (Monica is 29 and from Norway; Miranda is 36). And wow, what a voice. And I love how low-key and relateable these songs are but they still have catchy melodies and steady, subdued rhythms. I really like Vice, as cliché as the subject matter is, it's one of those country drinking songs I really like. I think it's because restrained and a bit somber, not like that cookout party Red Solo Cup song. It's actually my favorite song here, along with Runnin' Just In Case. Finally, another comment on her voice: I love that she isn't leaning heavily into that southern drawl like so many country artists do, intentionally or not. Oh, and from the Wikipedia picture, she's a focking fox, too.

ariich: Alkinoos Ioannidis (Αλκίνοος Ιωαννίδης) [8.8]
2. All That is No Longer Here   (Ό,τι Δεν Είναι Πια Εδώ / O,ti Den Einai Pia Edo)
3. In the Same Sky   (Μέσα Στον Ίδιο Ουρανό / Mesa Ston Idio Ourano)
4. The Changing World   (Ο Κόσμος Που Αλλάζει / O Kosmos Pou Allazei)
5. Return   (Γυρισμός / Gyrismos)

Exactly the kind of adventurous submission this roulette called for. I went from not being sure I was into this to loving it. I love the sound of the Greek language, and the choice of instrumentation (especially with the percussion) makes for a really pleasant, interesting sound. The very rare time a distorted guitar appears, its presence is barely noticeable yet adds just enough spice to enhance the song. That's partially why The Changing World is my favorite song here, but it's just a really fun tune all around. I'm super interested in listening to more of this guy's music. Oh, and the guitars are delightful, they sound great in these songs.

HOF: The Clientele [8.9]
1. Last Orders
2. Monday's Rain
3. I Can't Seem To Make You Mine
4. Enigma
5. The Age of Miracles

I really, really liked this, and it grew on me big time. There's an emotional bite to this that appeals to me, especially on I Can't Seem To Make You Mine - but it doesn't try to be overly dramatic. It's catchy and keeps the beat and tune. Also the guitar lick sounds identical to a lick on one of my favorite Kings of Leon songs which is a huge plus. Last Orders is a stunning piece. Love listening to every second of that piano. Enigma is just kind of there but it's a nice little bridge. The Age of Miracles has that same catchiness I like about I Can't Seem To Make You Mine but it's more upbeat and pleasant. Super nice submission and I'd definitely like to hear more of this artist but it looks like they have a bunch of albums so I'd need some direction. Maybe the album that has the first, third, or fifth song would be a good place to start.

wolfking: Owl Eyes [9.0]
1. Closure
2. Crystalised
3. Love Runs Dry
4. Hurricane

You've definitely nailed what I like in synth pop with this one, Kade. Love her voice, love the melodies, love the sugary shimmery texture with all the synths. Warm and comforting and fun music. Each song has a fierce hook and beat and catchy melody somewhere in there but Hurricane is my favorite for sure. I have a hard time picturing you listening to this but it looks like she has a few albums that I'm REALLY curious about checking out, if by some miracle you have a recommendation. These are some super good jams, thanks dude!

Podaar: Isao Tomita (Modest Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition) [9.1]
1. Promenade I
2. The Old Castle
3. Promenade IV
4. Ballet of the Chicks in Their Shells
5. Baba Yaga (Hut On Fowl's Legs)
6. Great Gate of Kiev

SUPER cool submission, dude. I love this synth re-imagining of a famous classical piece. It reminds me of when Emerson, Lake & Powell did a synth cover of Gustav Holst's "Mars" piece from the Planets Suite, or when Jordan Rudess covered ELP's "Tarkus." Now I'm not overly familiar with Pictures At An Exhibition, but I know a couple snippets like that choral bit in the Promenade I movement, and I like your selections because there's something interesting about all of them. I really like the Ballet of the Chicks and Baba Yaga because of how perfectly the synths are used in replicating the sound of little chicks, or the weird sounds of a witch's cauldron. The Old Castle - not sure if he's using a theremin here or not, but it gives a very "lost in space" vibe and I LOVE that. I'm very impressed by how each of the 6 tracks has a noticeable, memorable element to it, even Promenade IV as short as it is has something going for it. Definitely one of the most curious submissions of the whole roulette. Thanks for this!

romdrums: Alberto Ginastera  [9.1]
1. Estancia - Ballet Suite, Op.8a (1943): 1. Los trabajadores agrícolas
2. Estancia - Ballet Suite, Op.8a (1943): 2. Danza del trigo
3. Estancia - Ballet Suite, Op.8a (1943): 3. Los peones de hacienda
4. Estancia - Ballet Suite, Op.8a (1943): 4. Danza final (Malambo)
5. Piano Concerto No. 1 (1961): 4. Toccato concertata (Presto)

I am very, very impressed by this. Each piece - okay, the third movement of the ballet suite is kind of an interlude but that's okay - has this sound that I'm all but certain influenced one of my favorite video game composers, Koji Kondo. Most of this sounds like the battle themes in the 3D Legend of Zelda games, and Zelda's my favorite series ever with some of my favorite music ever, so you can see why I'd like this. Particularly the piano concerto screams Zelda battle to me with the beefy low end piano riff and the battle-cry horns throughout. I love the energy and atmosphere this frantic kind of contemporary classical music creates and it's unlike anything else sent in this roulette. This is superb.

Bolsters: LeBrock [9.2]
1. Only the Brave
2. Runaway
3. Call Me
4. Real Thing

Dude this is awesome. This guy easily has my favorite male voice of any synthwave I've heard. He has an emo quality to his voice that's noticeable when he's louder or goes for the higher notes. Normally I might hate that but with this music it pairs so well. Actually at first I wasn't sure if I liked it on Only the Brave but I quickly fell in love with it. I think you've done a good job at picking synthwave groups that really connect with me. Those synth hits in Real Thing are everything. The chorus to Runaway is even better. This fucking rules.

Big Hath: Dave Weckl  [9.3]
1. Festival de Ritmo
2. Tomatillo
3. Mesmer-Eyes
4. Like That

WOW. You sent me Like That in a roulette last year, and I thought it was VERY good, but I'm glad to see that wasn't just a fluke. This is some of the highest quality jazz/fusion stuff I've heard all roulette: see, it's got all the chops of the jazz greats that have been sent in this roulette, but Dave Weckl's skills behind the kit make the songs themselves that much more fun to listen to. It feels like each song has a beat that more easy to catch despite all the crazy shit he's playing, and the activity in the drums helps me appreciate the wild playing from the other guys a little more because the beat is so pronounced. He is so on fire in Tomatillo that it makes me smile. Now I can only reference what I know personally, but sometimes there are moments that remind me of The Rippingstons and Russ Freeman, a couple of my favorite smooth jazz artists. It manages to be complex, chaotic, wild, and free, and that's largely attributed to Dave being able to lay down a groovy beat and still go berserk with his playing. I really dig that.

Indiscipline: Chess (musical) [9.3]
1. One Night in Bangkok
2. Endgame

Man I thought this was the corniest thing at first. Someone really wrote a musical about *chess*? Seriously? But then my viewpoint changed. One Night In Bangkok is really interesting and threw me for a loop; I was all about the orchestral beginning but then it abruptly shifts into this sort of Alan Parsons Project meets... I don't know. But I like it. The hook is super catchy and there's even a flute solo. But Endgame is where it's at, dude, holy fock... this could be the most epic song of the whole roulette. The last few minutes have such a genuine heaviness to the lyrics and music that it really sells me on the drama. And that last minute is a focking belter, dude, it gives me chills just like the beginning does, and I want to watch/listen to this musical now so that's impressive. Thanks a lot for this, dude.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2779 on: July 22, 2020, 09:06:00 AM »

(I tried to check this myself for accuracy but please let me know if my math is not correct)
1. Indi:   9.1 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 7.9 / 8.9 / 9.3 / 9.3 = [61.5]
1. Elite:   9.0 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 8.1 / 9.2 / 8.8 / 8.7 = [61.5]
3. Big Hath:    8.8 / 9.1 / 8.2 / 8.4 / 8.4 / 9.0 / 9.3 = [61.2]
4. Bolsters:    9.2 / 9.3 / 8.4 / 8.0 / 7.6 / 9.2 / 9.2 = [60.9]
4. romdrums:    8.4 / 8.4 / 9.0 / 8.7 / 8.5 / 8.8 / 9.1 = [60.9]
6. wolfking:    8.7 / 8.9 / 8.1 / 8.4 / 9.1 / 8.5 / 9.0 = [60.7]
7. Stadler:    8.2 / 8.8 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 7.9 / 8.6 / 8.7 = [59.9]
7. Pup:    9.2 / 8.6 / 7.9 / 8.3 / 8.7 / 8.7 / 8.5 = [59.9]
9. ariich:    8.9 / 8.8 / 8.1 / 8.6 / 8.1 / 8.3 / 8.8 = [59.6]
9. jingle:    8.0 / 8.0 / 7.6 / 9.1 / 9.3 / 9.4 / 8.2 = [59.6]
11. HOF:    7.9 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 8.5 / 8.3 / 8.5 / 8.9 = [59.1]
12. Train:    8.1 / 9.4 / 7.9 / 9.2 / 8.8 / 7.9 / 7.7 = [59.0]
12. Sacul:    7.8 / 8.5 / 9.1 / 8.1 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 7.8 = [59.0]
14. Buddy:    8.5 / 9.2 / 8.7 / 8.0 / 7.8 / 8.2 / 8.4 = [58.8]
15. Podaar:   8.3 / 8.4 / 7.7 / 8.8 / 8.2 / 8.1 / 9.1 = [58.6]
16. Shadow:    8.2 / 9.4 / 7.4 / 8.2 / 8.0 / 8.9 / 8.1 = [58.2]
17. Evermind:   8.6 / 8.7 / 8.0 / 8.0 / 9.0 / 7.9 / 7.9 = [58.1]
18. king:    7.9 / 8.6 / 7.6 / 8.0 / 9.0 / 8.4 / 7.7 = [57.2]
19. TAC:   32.1 / --- / --- / --- / 7.7 / 8.2 / 5.0 = [53.0]

Banned from final round:
Return to Forever
Caravan Palace
Mos Def
múm
The Midnight
Kip Winger/Winger
Hiroyuki Sawano
Sublime
Amethystium
Steve Earle
Sarah McLachlan
Hall & Oates
Frank Zappa
Federation of the Disco Pimp
Nicolas Jaar
Tower of Power
Jean-Luc Ponty

CHVRCHES
Jason Isbell
Janelle Monáe
Revo
Submotion Orchestra
Icehouse
Ulver
The Weeknd
Stevie Wonder
Enigma
Elvis Presley
Squarepusher
Vince Gill
Joe Jackson
Justice
Sweet Billy Pilgrim
Damian Wilson

Mree
Kamasi Washington
Toby Fox
Kevin Gilbert/Giraffe
Pentangle
The Cat Empire
Keith Emerson
Jimmy Barnes
Tenhi
Jeff Beck
Vulfpeck
Saltillo
Easily Embarrassed
Bohren & der Club of Gore
Paul Buchanan/The Blue Nile
Bullmark/Arion Salazar
The Feeling
Duran Duran

Clarence Clarity
Tori Amos
George Michael/Wham
Bob James & Keiko Matsui
Gogo Penguin
Regina Spektor
Crowded House/Split Enz/Neil Finn
Eric Johnson
Imogen Heap
Cloud Cult
Algiers
Akira Yamaoka
HAIM
Harmonix Music Systems
Gareth Coker/Ori and the Blind Forest
CPR
Janis Ian

Cher/Christina Aguilera
Joe Henderson
Tears for Fears
Mr. Mister
Joan Baez
Al Di Meola
clipping.
Boards of Canada
The Black Queen
Art Blakey
Go West
Peter Gabriel
Derek Trucks
Everything Everything
Second Person
California Guitar Trio
Infected Mushroom
Michael Schenker
Cœur de pirate

Massive Attack
Delerium
Depeche Mode
Tangerine Dream
Celldweller
Blue Food
John Farnham
The Fixx
Nickel Creek
Harry Styles
Björk
John Coltrane
Heilung
Jaco Pastorius
TR/ST
Purity Ring
Rondò Veneziano
Nikki Yanofsky

Snarky Puppy
Drab City
The Clientele
Julien Baker
Pendulum
Kate Bush
Homestuck
LeBrock
Chess (musical)
Owl Eyes
Miranda Lambert
Dave Weckl
Alkinoos Ioannidis
Alberto Ginastera
Hamilton (musical)
Isao Tomita
Squeeze
Crazy Joe and the Variable Speed Band
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:11:41 AM by The Walrus »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2780 on: July 22, 2020, 09:15:36 AM »
hey you said I did worse than last round you LIAR :neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2781 on: July 22, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »
Comparisons are subject to change, Buuuuddy :neverusethis:

That was a super difficult round to score :(

I'm grateful for everyone who's played in this roulette, regardless of scores, love learning about your tastes and seeing what you have to offer each round.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2782 on: July 22, 2020, 09:29:05 AM »

HOF: The Clientele [8.9]
1. Last Orders
2. Monday's Rain
3. I Can't Seem To Make You Mine
4. Enigma
5. The Age of Miracles

I really, really liked this, and it grew on me big time. There's an emotional bite to this that appeals to me, especially on I Can't Seem To Make You Mine - but it doesn't try to be overly dramatic. It's catchy and keeps the beat and tune. Also the guitar lick sounds identical to a lick on one of my favorite Kings of Leon songs which is a huge plus. Last Orders is a stunning piece. Love listening to every second of that piano. Enigma is just kind of there but it's a nice little bridge. The Age of Miracles has that same catchiness I like about I Can't Seem To Make You Mine but it's more upbeat and pleasant. Super nice submission and I'd definitely like to hear more of this artist but it looks like they have a bunch of albums so I'd need some direction. Maybe the album that has the first, third, or fifth song would be a good place to start.

Best score of the roulette for me! Awesome, because I spent way too much time putting this entry together. I’m really glad you liked Last Orders because it’s one I felt very strongly needed to be included but took up a chunk of time and limited my options.

They do have an extensive catalog and unfortunately a lot of EPs which tend to be a little experimental or otherwise depart a bit from their full albums in production and style, and some are duplicative or alternate versions of songs from full albums (Last Orders and Enigma are both from different EPs). I do really like the Lost Weekend EP that features Last Orders though. I would highly recommend their last full album, Music For The Age of Miracles, which has the last song I sent you. That was my introduction to the band and is just a really great album with a similar vibe as that song. If you like I Can’t Seem to Make You Mine, you should also enjoy the album it comes from, Strange Geometry.

Their earlier albums are very lo-fi (Monday’s Rain is an example of that) and a little less orchestral, but I like those too. I was trying to give a sense of the range of styles with this entry.

I’d say start with Strange Geometry and Music for The Age of Miracles, though any of their full length albums would be worth checking out (I wanted to send something from both God Save The Clientele and Bonfires on the Heath but time would not allow it).

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2783 on: July 22, 2020, 09:34:56 AM »
Podaar: Isao Tomita (Modest Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition) [9.1]
1. Promenade I
2. The Old Castle
3. Promenade IV
4. Ballet of the Chicks in Their Shells
5. Baba Yaga (Hut On Fowl's Legs)
6. Great Gate of Kiev

SUPER cool submission, dude. I love this synth re-imagining of a famous classical piece. It reminds me of when Emerson, Lake & Powell did a synth cover of Gustav Holst's "Mars" piece from the Planets Suite, or when Jordan Rudess covered ELP's "Tarkus." Now I'm not overly familiar with Pictures At An Exhibition, but I know a couple snippets like that choral bit in the Promenade I movement, and I like your selections because there's something interesting about all of them. I really like the Ballet of the Chicks and Baba Yaga because of how perfectly the synths are used in replicating the sound of little chicks, or the weird sounds of a witch's cauldron. The Old Castle - not sure if he's using a theremin here or not, but it gives a very "lost in space" vibe and I LOVE that. I'm very impressed by how each of the 6 tracks has a noticeable, memorable element to it, even Promenade IV as short as it is has something going for it. Definitely one of the most curious submissions of the whole roulette. Thanks for this!

I really hope you have a cat in the house and you played Ballet of the Chicks over loud speakers.  :lol

As I mentioned in my introduction, Tomita has a number of stellar albums (all difficult to get now) that I think you'd enjoy. Holst's Planets, and Snowflakes are dancing are real standouts. I hope you get a chance to hear them someday. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed this.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2784 on: July 22, 2020, 09:38:21 AM »
Hell yeah bottom 3! :rollin

Hey Katt, here's a reminder that you already have my entry for Round 8. You know, just in case. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2785 on: July 22, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
Winning!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2786 on: July 22, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »
TAC I'm not kidding, I really need to know if that was a joke or not.

Got yours, Evermind.  :lol

Gregg, unfortunately most of Isao's work is not on Spotify but I will definitely be searching for it. I checked out a couple tunes, he has an awesome rendition of the Star Wars theme on Spotify, great stuff  :biggrin:

HOF, I'll look into your suggestions, thank you!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2787 on: July 22, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
That's a fair take. Personally I think Even In Death is probably the best, but it's probably different if you haven't seen the animation it comes from.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2788 on: July 22, 2020, 09:59:16 AM »
Sent
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2789 on: July 22, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »
Crazy Joe Renda.  Man oh man.

Walrus, what'd you think of "Black Coffee In Bed"?   Squeeze is... confounding.  They - well, Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook (the singer) - were regularly compared to Lennon and McCartney, and they weren't the Beatles, by any stretch.  But they made some really catchy, interesting music, and BCIB is one of those.  It was the single, but it wasn't really structured like a single, and it's LONG (over 6:00 minutes if memory serves).  Very lyrically astute as well (the lyrics to songs like "Up The Junction" are magnificent). 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2790 on: July 22, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »

Walrus, what'd you think of "Black Coffee In Bed"?   Squeeze is... confounding.  They - well, Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook (the singer) - were regularly compared to Lennon and McCartney, and they weren't the Beatles, by any stretch.  But they made some really catchy, interesting music, and BCIB is one of those.  It was the single, but it wasn't really structured like a single, and it's LONG (over 6:00 minutes if memory serves).  Very lyrically astute as well (the lyrics to songs like "Up The Junction" are magnificent).

I do like the main organ riff but overall it didn't leave any kind of impression on me. I can't really see why they'd be compared to Lennon and McCartney at all, honestly. Yeah, it's just over 6 minutes. I think it could do with some trimming. Not much there for me to chew on tbh.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2791 on: July 22, 2020, 10:14:33 AM »
Aaaaaaah
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2792 on: July 22, 2020, 10:15:08 AM »
Aaaaaaah

I am so excited to see what happens this last round  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2793 on: July 22, 2020, 10:21:50 AM »

No, not really. I mean they're jokey songs, but honestly the playing is top notch and pretty funky in a number of spots. The songs are all well written and can ear worm you.

You mean, you didn't once think this week that you were a cool dude in a loose mood? Expect a point added for every time you did! :lol

Plus, you forget, I've heard almost everything sent in this roulette, and half of it qualifies as a joke. So  :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: July 22, 2020, 10:22:15 AM »

I do like the main organ riff but overall it didn't leave any kind of impression on me. I can't really see why they'd be compared to Lennon and McCartney at all, honestly. Yeah, it's just over 6 minutes. I think it could do with some trimming. Not much there for me to chew on tbh.

There's one really clear point in the song where it feels like the song is winding up, but they circle back and go back into the chorus again, and I can't help but think it's them taking the piss since it's so obvious.  They were/are good like that (they're a GREAT live band, by the way; Glenn sings and plays all the lead guitar.  I saw them recently - February, right before the lockdown - from the front row and there were easily three times I was like "how the fuck does he do that all at the same time???".  And you have to remember this isn't Rush or Dream Theater.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2795 on: July 22, 2020, 10:23:15 AM »

A classic!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: July 22, 2020, 10:23:25 AM »

No, not really. I mean they're jokey songs, but honestly the playing is top notch and pretty funky in a number of spots. The songs are all well written and can ear worm you.

You mean, you didn't once think this week that you were a cool dude in a loose mood? Expect a point added for every time you did! :lol

Plus, you forget, I've heard almost everything sent in this roulette, and half of it qualifies as a joke. So  :P

If nothing else, you probably get a point for "Hottest Girl In The Most Ridiculous Video" award.   :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: July 22, 2020, 10:24:26 AM »

I want to believe you're joking here, too, but I know you're not. Stuff sounds like a parody band on a children's show or something.  Damn, I really thought this was a joke. At least you get points for one of the most far out submissions :lol

There's one really clear point in the song where it feels like the song is winding up, but they circle back and go back into the chorus again, and I can't help but think it's them taking the piss since it's so obvious.  They were/are good like that (they're a GREAT live band, by the way; Glenn sings and plays all the lead guitar.  I saw them recently - February, right before the lockdown - from the front row and there were easily three times I was like "how the fuck does he do that all at the same time???".  And you have to remember this isn't Rush or Dream Theater.)

They're still going?!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2798 on: July 22, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »
Fair comment on Hamilton, and I see what you're saying ... but I still think you're full of shit.   :rollin

Final round submissions are in that playlist I've got for you.  I'll fire you a note later to explain one piece of it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: July 22, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »
You know who's really full of shit? Lin-Manuel Miranda.  :lol