Author Topic: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- now exploring every roulette submission ever  (Read 140229 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Sorry Ruslan, they'll be up later... probably when you're asleep  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
That's alright, that's something to look forward to when I'll start my day at work!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Peekaboo!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Because TAC joined halfway through, I'm inserting him at the bottom (you don't just show up halfway and expect anything else, mofo). He will tie with king - for now. The writeups are done and I'm finalizing scores, so, results will be posted soon.

1. Bolsters:    9.2 / 9.3 / 8.4 / 8.0 [34.9]
2. Elite:   9.0 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 8.1 [34.8]
3. Stadler:    8.2 / 8.8 / 8.6 / 9.1 [34.7]
4. Train:    8.1 / 9.4 / 7.9 / 9.2 [34.6]
5. Big Hath:    8.8 / 9.1 / 8.2 / 8.4 [34.5]
5. romdrums:    8.4 / 8.4 / 9.0 / 8.7 [34.5]
7. ariich:    8.9 / 8.8 / 8.1 / 8.6 [34.4]
7. Buddy:    8.5 / 9.2 / 8.7 / 8.0 [34.4]
9. wolfking:    8.7 / 8.9 / 8.1 / 8.4 [34.1]
10. Pup:    9.2 / 8.6 / 7.9 / 8.3 [34.0]
10. Indi:   9.1 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 7.9 [34.0]
12. Sacul:    7.8 / 8.5 / 9.1 / 8.1 [33.5]
13. HOF:    7.9 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 8.5 [33.4]
14. Evermind:   8.6 / 8.7 / 8.0 / 8.0 [33.3]
15. Shadow:    8.2 / 9.4 / 7.4 / 8.2 [33.2]
15. Podaar:   8.3 / 8.4 / 7.7 / 8.8 [33.2]
17. jingle:    8.0 / 8.0 / 7.6 / 9.1 [32.7]
18. king:    7.9 / 8.6 / 7.6 / 8.0 [32.1]
18. TAC: shit / blows / sucks / crap [32.1]
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Because TAC joined halfway through, I'm inserting him at the bottom (you don't just show up halfway and expect anything else, mofo). He will tie with king - for now. The writeups are done and I'm finalizing scores, so, results will be posted soon.

18. TAC: shit / blows / sucks / crap [32.1]

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

That doesn't even make sense. I demand proper scoring!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
So do I dammit! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

Seems like a generous spotting for TAC!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 5 results!!
« Reply #2213 on: July 05, 2020, 02:07:59 PM »
In the end if TAC actually ends up beating anyone you can just take comfort in that generous spotting and know that you worked from the ground up :lol Okay, this round was super hard to score, there was so much good stuff, and lots of long songs! 6 hours 12 minutes this round, a new record.

Bolsters: Cœur de pirate (Child of Light OST) [7.6]
1. Pilgrims On a Long Journey
2. Aurora's Theme
3. Jupiter's Lightning
4. Leave Your Castle
5. Down to a Dusty Plain
6. Hymn of Light

It's very funny that this was submitted, because literally the day before people started sending for this round, I started playing Child of Light on my Switch (I bought it months ago, but never got around to it). I have to say, I don't think the music is the strongest suit. It's very pretty, it fits the atmosphere of the game quite well, but on its own, I find it kind of sleepy and uncompelling. I'm afraid I don't have much else to say about this, other than the game itself is fun so far! :)

TAC: Michael Schenker [7.7]
1. At the End of the Day
2. The Creator
3. Bijou Pleasurette
4. I Am Grateful
5. Hand in Hand

So the playing here is good and it all sounds quite lovely but the thing is I've heard countless acoustic instrumentals from many guitarists. There's nothing here that really makes it stand out from anybody else. Very nice music, don't get me wrong! But it doesn't stand out at all.

Buddyhunter1: Infected Mushroom [7.8]
1. Becoming Insane
2. Artillery
3. Saeed

I knew this was gonna be a weird one from the first listen. I've heard a lot about Infected Mushroom over the years but this is the first time I've listened... I think? It's weird. It's actually really corny, and I'm not sure it's the good kind of corny, or if I can describe what I'm talking about: there are vocal parts in Artillery and Becoming Insane that are super corny, and even that middle eastern-style riff for Artillery is cheesy. But it's all somewhat catchy and fun. So I struggle with how to feel about these; I like them, but they're so corny, too. Saeed is probably my favorite but the vocal parts are so weird. When I look back on this in the future, maybe I'll regret ranking this so low, and maybe the songs just need more time to connect with me - but as of right now that's where I'm at with them.

Stadler: California Guitar Trio [7.9]
1. Train to Lamy Suite (Part 1-3)
2. Train to Lamy - Part 4
3. Train to Lamy - Part 5
4. Train to Lamy - Part 3 (reprise)
5. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
6. Led Foot

This was fun. I won't lie, maybe it's not a group I'm jonesing to return to, but it was really fun listening to the guitar - literally, the sound of the guitar playing here is riveting. The harmonized runs in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, for example, or the bright strums of the chords - beautiful stuff. Lots of reverb and audible sliding on the guitar in Train to Lamy Part 3 (reprise) which gives such an angelic quality to the sound. The entire Train to Lamy batch is an interesting submission all on its own; I can't understand why they're split up the way they are, across so many tracks and with the first 3 in one, but it's really nice instrumental guitar from start to finish. Led Foot's distorted guitar is a bit odd and the Train to Lamy Suite Part 1-3 features a keyboardist that sounds frighteningly similar to Derek Sherinian. So they stick out a bit. But, this was interesting. I wouldn't mind looking into this group...

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Second Person [8.0]
1. Water
2. Metal
3. Play Fair
4. Spilt Milk
5. Shadow of a Doubt

This is more a victim of the competition than me not liking it. There's a lot of good stuff here! However, to me it sounds a lot like Imogen Heap, and there's kind of this sedated quality to much of the songs here, like Water and Spilt Milk. Metal sounds like a total 90s bop. Play Fair is my favorite here. Super catchy, love the melodies and rhythm of the singing in that song. I liked this a bunch, but not gonna lie, always kind of hoped for a bit more 'oomph' and energy.

ariich: Everything Everything [8.1]
1. Night of the Long Knives
2. Desire
3. NASA Is On Your Side
4. To The Blade

I feel weird and kind of bad about having this as low as it is; I really liked these songs! Strong round, though, and it's gotta rank somewhere. The guy's voice is very odd, and it took a while to warm up to it; Night of the Long Knives is a weird but catchy song, but his voice is rather 'extra' and sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't. That's kind of the sticking point for most of this; Desire is fun, but NASA... and To The Blade are songs that I find myself seesawing on - I either like them, or don't like them. They have a very distinct, unique sound, and I like them overall. I feel like I'd need a whole album to make a good judgement call on this kind of group though. The eclectic nature of this band has me interested.

Podaar: Derek Trucks [8.2]
1. Midnight in Harlem
2. Shrimp and Grits (interlude)
3. Rastaman Chant (live)

This was surprisingly fun. Midnight in Harlem is a great track, it takes a simple memorable beat and leans into it for the whole song, and the melodies and lyrics are really nice. Shrimp and Grits is a fun sweet interlude that fits in perfectly. The live track is really nice. Love the flute! Now I think this one goes on for a long time... sometimes I wonder why it's so long. But, it's fun to listen to them jam, it just feels like a few different jams stitched together. But I'm sold, I think they're solid and there's some fascinating musical dialogue happening in that live number especially between the flute and guitar about halfway. Cool stuff!

HOF: Peter Gabriel [8.3]
1. At Night
2. The Feeling Begins
3. Zaar
4. A Different Drum
5. The Nest That Sailed the Sky

Ballsy submission to send multiple soundtrack pieces. So, this is kind of hit and miss. I don't find much to chew on with At Night or The Nest That Sailed The Sky. There's nice ambience there, but I think the meat here is in the other three songs. The Feeling Begins has a nice middle eastern, desert vibe - but Zaar and A Different Drum are superb. Zaar's constant, repetitive string/pipes motif is really catchy and has an interesting flavor to it. I can hear some sitar in there, I think? It makes me think of a busy Arab town or market. A Different Drum has a *lovely* vocal line. It's very powerful, and even though I have no idea what is beind said, I can feel the emotion in there. So even if it's only a couple of tracks that connected with me, they're strong connections. Not at all what I expected out of Peter Gabriel. Very nice.

Big Hath: Go West [8.4]
1. Faithful
2. What You Won't Do For Love
3. The King of Wishful Thinking

For some reason this was the hardest submission to rank. I like these songs a lot! Never heard of Go West before and I definitely don't recognize this singer by his voice, but Faithful is a really nice uplifting jam. WYWDFL is nice, but I think I like The King of Wishful Thinking and Faithful more for their bright, upbeat vibes. There's a mighty horn/synth presence throughout these songs that I really like: it screams 80s, but it's that kind of poppy, Toto-ish 80s playing that speaks to me. Another artist I might regret ranking this low in the future.

romdrums: Art Blakey [8.5]
1. Moanin'
2. Caravan

This is fantastic. While Joe Henderson gave me a 'blue' color impression, these two tracks make me think orange and yellow. There's a warmth to this music that, while stylistically pretty similar to Joe Henderson, makes it stand apart. And the songs seem to be more free and open to riffing. Indeed sometimes they seem to meander aimlessly, but the showmanship is top notch and riveting all the same. I can't say the tunes themselves are wholly memorable with all the twists and turns and soloing they make, but the motifs, at least, are solid anchors for the solos to dance around. High quality jazz here, would love to explore more Art Blakey.

Sacul: The Black Queen [8.6]
1. Ice to Never
2. Thrown into the Dark
3. Porcelain Veins
4. Strange Quark
5. Taman Shud

Excellent kind of poppy kind of not music, not sure what you'd call this. Gorgeous melodies and nice singing with some very head-boppable beats and rhythms, I dig it a lot. Porcelain Veins and Thrown into the Dark might be my favorites here but they all have a nice groovy vibe to them, especially Taman Shud. I looked back in my Spotify library and one of these albums has actually been saved for quite some time - I guess I did make a point to listen to them a while back but forgot about it. Time to fix that!

Puppies_On_Acid: Boards of Canada [8.7]
1. Roygbiv
2. Amo Bishop Roden
3. Alpha and Omega
4. 84 Pontiac Dream

Okay this is actually really good and was one of the growers this round. Roygbiv at times sounds like a Tycho wannabe (that sine synth patch sounds EXACTLY like a track from Tycho's Awake album, like right around 1:05) but it's very very good so it gets the pass. Amo Bishop Roden is the star here because of that kind of low-key electro shuffle beat it has going on. Fucking cool. Alpha & Omega and 84 Pontiac Dream are cool vibes, too, but Roygbiv and ABR are on a different level. I could probably dig a whole album of stuff like this.

Train of Naught: clipping. [8.8]
1. Intro
2. Nothing is Safe
3. Story 2
4. Work Work
5. The Show
6. Story 7

This is so cool. I think the highlights here are Nothing is Safe and Work Work. Nothing is Safe has such an awesome vibe with that simple but giant synth line and the rapping over it. Work Work is a mood and has a great beat and lyrical theme. And the lyrics in general are pretty awesome all around. Never heard of Clipping but it sounds like more ambitious hip hop than a lot that I've heard in my life so this is really unique and fresh to my ears. Would love to check out a full album and hear more of this, very cool music.

Indiscipline: Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, & Paco de Lucía (Friday Night In San Francisco) [8.9]
1. Mediterranean Sundance / Rio Rancho
2. Fantasia Suite

So, my one complaint here is that sometimes the tracks seem to just go on... and on... and on. But again, like Art Blakey, the playing is just extraordinary. I love hearing the audience cheer along as Al Di Meola shreds his guitar to pieces. Similarly, again, the tracks themselves aren't particularly memorable for the music, but for the spectacle. That spiciness in Mediterranean Sundance is delicious. Fantasia Suite is great, too - but MS is my favorite.

Evermind: Joan Baez [9.0]
1. Love is Just a Four-Letter Word
2. Sweet Sir Galahad
3. Diamonds and Rust
4. Honest Lullaby

Okay, some of this is really somber, but overall: solid melodies, good hooks, nice lyrics, beautiful voice/singing. I keep thinking of both Stevie Nicks and Pentangle listening to these songs. On one hand they're simple guitar+voice songs, but there's some real emotion in there. I think Sweet Sir Galahad is a lovely little tune, probably the catchiest, but Diamonds and Rust has so much heart, and the vocal melody reminds me of Nightwish's Meadows of Heaven, which I love. This grew on me a lot.

kingshmegland: Mr. Mister [9.0]
1. Stand and Deliver
2. Don't Slow Down
3. Broken Wings
4. Kyrie

This rocks but it's also SUPER poppy and each song has a massive, fiercely infectious hook. The singer's got the pipes to sell them, too. Kyrie is kind of corny but it's so fun and catchy it gets a pass. The drums have that real hot 80s production to them but I think it adds to the charm on songs like Don't Slow Down. This one grew on me; it was immediately catchy, but I didn't realize how much I liked them for a few days. Looking forward to more of them in the future.

wolfking: Tears for Fears [9.1]
1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World
2. The Working Hour
3. Broken
4. Head Over Heels/Broken

Wonderful poppy stuff here. Everybody Wants To Rule The World is a real jam, awesome hook and beat to this. The Working Hour is awesome but the best parts are the ones where the sax gets the spotlight. Broken is nice and catchy, but Head Over Heels/Broken is even catchier and nicer, probably my second favorite of them all. I was kind of surprised by how good this is, it's pop rock with pretty much everything I like. Seriously, I should've kept that CD as a kid. I will definitely be checking out this band's discography.

Elite: Joe Henderson [9.2]
1. Blue Bossa
2. Song For My Father
3. U.M.M.G. (Upper Manhattan Medical Group)

Simply fantastic blues. The ticket to this I think is the piano and the minimalist rhythmic patterns. The walking bass is the perfect accompaniment and the main themes are memorable to me with lots of great playing between those sections. I don't have synthesthesia but I can only describe the mood here as... well, "blue." Song For My Father and Blue Bossa are two of my favorite songs this round. Damn, this is good.

jingle.boy: Cher & Christina Aguilera (Burlesque) [9.3]
1. Welcome to Burlesque
2. Tough Lover
3. Express
4. You Haven't Seen the Last of Me
5. Show Me How You Burlesque
6. The Beautiful People

This started off as one of the less interesting batches of the roulette, but each day it got more interesting to me. The star here is Christina Aguilera... Honestly, the last time I remember paying attention to her was when Genie In A Bottle was a hit. I had no idea she could sing like this. And while this is corny - excessively corny, oh my god - there is no denying the sheer talent behind that voice. Her voice is so powerful and versatile and full of soul - I LOVE it. Cher on the other hand is merely good - she's a great singer, clearly, and I don't dislike her, but I think her parts are the weaker moments here, whereas Christina not only has the better music but much more room to go nuts. Fantastic, really great submission, other than how much they say burlesque.

(I tried to check this myself for accuracy but please let me know if my math is not correct)
1. Elite:   9.0 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 8.1 / 9.2 [44.0]
2. Train:    8.1 / 9.4 / 7.9 / 9.2 / 8.8 [43.4]
3. wolfking:    8.7 / 8.9 / 8.1 / 8.4 / 9.1 [43.2]
4. romdrums:    8.4 / 8.4 / 9.0 / 8.7 / 8.5 [43.0]
5. Indi:   9.1 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 7.9 / 8.9 [42.9]
5. Big Hath:    8.8 / 9.1 / 8.2 / 8.4 / 8.4 [42.9]
7. Pup:    9.2 / 8.6 / 7.9 / 8.3 / 8.7 [42.7]
8. Stadler:    8.2 / 8.8 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 7.9 [42.6]
9. Bolsters:    9.2 / 9.3 / 8.4 / 8.0 / 7.6 [42.5]
9. ariich:    8.9 / 8.8 / 8.1 / 8.6 / 8.1 [42.5]
11. Evermind:   8.6 / 8.7 / 8.0 / 8.0 / 9.0 [42.3]
12. Buddy:    8.5 / 9.2 / 8.7 / 8.0 / 7.8 [42.2]
13. Sacul:    7.8 / 8.5 / 9.1 / 8.1 / 8.6 [42.1]
14. jingle:    8.0 / 8.0 / 7.6 / 9.1 / 9.3 [42.0]
15. HOF:    7.9 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 8.5 / 8.3 [41.7]
16. Podaar:   8.3 / 8.4 / 7.7 / 8.8 / 8.2 [41.4]
17. Shadow:    8.2 / 9.4 / 7.4 / 8.2 / 8.0 [41.2]
18. king:    7.9 / 8.6 / 7.6 / 8.0 / 9.0 [41.1]
9. TAC:   32.1 / --- / --- / --- / 7.7 [39.8]

Banned from future rounds:
Return to Forever
Caravan Palace
Mos Def
múm
The Midnight
Kip Winger/Winger
Hiroyuki Sawano
Sublime
Amethystium
Steve Earle
Sarah McLachlan
Hall & Oates
Frank Zappa
Federation of the Disco Pimp
Nicolas Jaar
Tower of Power
Jean-Luc Ponty

CHVRCHES
Jason Isbell
Janelle Monáe
Revo
Submotion Orchestra
Icehouse
Ulver
The Weeknd
Stevie Wonder
Enigma
Elvis Presley
Squarepusher
Vince Gill
Joe Jackson
Justice
Sweet Billy Pilgrim
Damian Wilson

Mree
Kamasi Washington
Toby Fox
Kevin Gilbert/Giraffe
Pentangle
The Cat Empire
Keith Emerson
Jimmy Barnes
Tenhi
Jeff Beck
Vulfpeck
Saltillo
Easily Embarrassed
Bohren & der Club of Gore
Paul Buchanan/The Blue Nile
Bullmark/Arion Salazar
The Feeling
Duran Duran

Clarence Clarity
Tori Amos
George Michael/Wham
Bob James & Keiko Matsui
Gogo Penguin
Regina Spektor
Crowded House/Split Enz/Neil Finn
Eric Johnson
Imogen Heap
Cloud Cult
Algiers
Akira Yamaoka
HAIM
Harmonix Music Systems
Gareth Coker/Ori and the Blind Forest
CPR
Janis Ian

Cher/Christina Aguilera
Joe Henderson
Tears for Fears
Mr. Mister
Joan Baez
Al Di Meola
clipping.
Boards of Canada
The Black Queen
Art Blakey
Go West
Peter Gabriel
Derek Trucks
Everything Everything
Second Person
California Guitar Trio
Infected Mushroom
Michael Schenker
Cœur de pirate

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2214 on: July 05, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »
Hell yeah!  I'm only down because TFF was one band I planned on sending. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: July 05, 2020, 02:18:15 PM »
You could've reserved them!! You just had to say so  :lol :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2216 on: July 05, 2020, 02:21:04 PM »
I'm sure Tycho was influenced by Boards of Canada, so there is that. So in essence you could say Tycho sounds like BoC.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2217 on: July 05, 2020, 02:22:39 PM »
Sweet!! Yeah, Clipping. are a super refreshing act in modern-day rap, Work Work and Story 2 are on the album CLPPNG, while all the other tracks are on their 2019 album There Existed An Addiction To Blood, I highly recommend starting with that one. The last track is weird and arguably filler (20 minutes of literally the sound of a piano burning) but there's many tracks on the same level as those that I sent, even if I also rank Nothing Is Safe above the others.

I want to check whether my round 6 and 7 submissions are allowed with regards to the 'no rock/metal' since these both have a brief moment of that so I'm gonna send you a PM :tup

EDIT: Also nice to see The Black Queen, considered them for a bit too! The debut is absolutely killer. Greg Puciato is also looking to release his debut solo album this year, but it seems more in The Dillinger Escape Plan style than The Black Queen
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 02:28:43 PM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2218 on: July 05, 2020, 02:27:13 PM »
Seems a fair enough review, I knew his voice would be a little risky. But you lied to me. :'(

5. ariich ^

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2219 on: July 05, 2020, 02:27:44 PM »
Wonderful! Now let's ruin everything with an extremely risky submission ...

Offline HOF

« Reply #2220 on: July 05, 2020, 02:28:32 PM »
That Tears for Fears entry is really strong. I love The Working Hour a ton, and Everybody Wants to Rule the World and Head Over Heels are two of the greatest pop songs ever IMO. Songs from the Big Chair is a really outstanding record. That said, Tears for Fears’ masterpiece (IMO) is the follow up album, Sowing the Seeds of Love. Roland Orzebal is one of the great but under appreciated songwriters of his era, and a fantastic singer too. Not trying to diminish Curt Smith’s contributions of course, but even the stuff Roland did without him in the band is really strong.

As for my Peter Gabriel entry, I’m glad you at least liked the middle three. At Night was definitely intended more as a mood setter (and I love the reference to Wallflower that appears there and other places on the Birdy soundtrack). The Nest That Sailed The Sky is something that always knocks me over. It’s so beautiful, but I guess it didn’t land for you (my wife says it makes her sad for whatever reason). A Different Drum is such an interesting song rhythmically (I don’t think there are any actual words, just vocalization). Depending on which set of drums I focus on, I can hear the whole thing with two totally different rhythms. It’s a really cool track. That whole soundtrack is worth checking out if you liked those three.

I suppose I could have sent you some proper PG stuff and been within the rules of the roulette (especially if Tears for Fears got through, they have a similar vibe), but this is definitely not rock, metal, or prog, so that was the idea.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2221 on: July 05, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »
Damn, what's funny about those scores is that the one person I beat was Bolsters, and I had him as the round's winner.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2222 on: July 05, 2020, 02:37:29 PM »
Seems a fair enough review, I knew his voice would be a little risky. But you lied to me. :'(

5. ariich ^

Now that I think of it, he had me with an up arrow too, but I was down from 8.5 last round!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: July 05, 2020, 02:58:51 PM »
Yes, Tears for Fears are amazing.

On another note, I can't believe I'm playing in a roulette where Cher and Christina Aguilera win the round.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2224 on: July 05, 2020, 03:09:27 PM »
It's a joke. He's going to post the real results later on.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2225 on: July 05, 2020, 03:14:29 PM »
It's a joke. He's going to post the real results later on.

Says the guy that gave Enya two 10/10s in his roulette.   :P
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: July 05, 2020, 03:16:43 PM »

On another note, I can't believe I'm playing in a roulette where Cher and Christina Aguilera win the round.  :lol

Sent by Chad. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: July 05, 2020, 03:24:38 PM »

Sent by Chad. :lol

Not sure if it says more about Michael or Chad.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: July 05, 2020, 03:29:14 PM »
Rich, perhaps not a lie, but I do advise people take comparisons with a grain of salt, as most of the thought goes into the ranking and scoring at the end. That's on me, though. Sorry for misleading  :heart

As I told Chad, the Cher/Christina Aguilera submission would either be super amazing or super awful. Turns out, he played to one of my weaknesses: female pop superstars with great voices, and taking advantage of my blissful ignorance re: Christina Aguilera.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: July 05, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
FWIW, I knew Burlesque Soundtrack it was a high risk/high reward submission.  I absolutely knew somehow it was either gonna be first, or worst.  Also, my = ended up being ^, which I was swinging for the fences for.

Everyone not a robust and girthy mass of existence (both literally and figuratively  :D ;)) can suck it.

Mike... your assessment of the Cher tracks is pretty accurate.  She wasn't given the best material, and is more of a cameo.  This album (and movie) is all for Aguilera to shine.  I hope you watched the video at least once as I suggested.

Now, I got nowhere to go but down.  :lol

@ Walrus... just listen to the other tracks in that playlist - that's the Round 6 submission.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2230 on: July 05, 2020, 03:33:41 PM »
Swinging all right. The two of you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: July 05, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »
Swinging all right. The two of you.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over my 9.3.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2232 on: July 05, 2020, 03:39:10 PM »
They should call this the Golf Roulette. Highest score means the worst.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2233 on: July 05, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »
There’s a good chance all my scores are downhill from here. No idea how this next round is going to go for me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: July 05, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »
I hope you watched the video at least once as I suggested.

I did, but not until several listens in. It's definitely hot. But I couldn't get over how her appearance did NOT match that voice on the track. It's startling.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2235 on: July 05, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »
Second Person is one of my favorite bands that no one remembers and that I can never get anyone else to care about, so this is about what I expected. :lol

Also, sent for round 6.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2236 on: July 05, 2020, 04:19:09 PM »
Second Person is one of my favorite bands that no one remembers and that I can never get anyone else to care about, so this is about what I expected. :lol

Ninja, if it helps, I actually thought it was really cool. I thought the vocals and the overall melodies were really nice. The electronics detracted from it though. But it was quality for sure.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2237 on: July 05, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »
Sent the most improbable thing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2238 on: July 05, 2020, 05:25:27 PM »
^ my ass.  :rollin
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2239 on: July 05, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »
Hurray!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey