Author Topic: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- now exploring every roulette submission ever  (Read 140056 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 3 Timpressions/Walrus thoughts
« Reply #1435 on: June 19, 2020, 08:55:13 AM »
Walrusons coming soon eh?

Not for this walrus. I had a rusectomy a while back
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 3 comparisons
« Reply #1436 on: June 19, 2020, 10:52:29 AM »
1. Evermind v
2. HOF ^
3. kingshmegland v
4. Shadow Ninja 2.0 v
5. ariich v
6. Puppies_On_Acid v
7. Indiscipline ^
8. Elite ^
9. Sacul ^
10. Podaar v
11. Stadler v
12. Bolsters v
13. Big Hath v
14. Buddyhunter1 v
15. wolfking v
16. Train of Naught v
17. romdrums ^
18. jingle.boy v

Writeups are, pretty much, done... but I need to sit on them overnight and finalize scores. Results either tonight or tomorrow... maybe tonight but I just can't promise that
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:19:00 PM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1437 on: June 19, 2020, 10:54:08 AM »
Your comparisons still as confusing as ever :lol 18th or 19th place yes!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1438 on: June 19, 2020, 10:55:35 AM »
See how I smile like a pig in the sty, see how I snide

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1439 on: June 19, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »
if ya need me i'll be in the nursing home

i guess i'm gonna bomb this whole roulette, oh well  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: June 19, 2020, 11:08:28 AM »
The comparisons with last round might be misleading because last round was incredibly strong and this one, well, frankly, is not as strong :lol

"Bombing" also might be way too harsh of a word considering you've gotten 8s so far :) the competition and the submissions have mostly been strong AF, so very little so far I've disliked. So far... And even those at the bottom have sent me stuff I like, so this is why I hate scoring!  :rollin
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:14:14 AM by The Walrus »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1441 on: June 19, 2020, 11:23:28 AM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1442 on: June 19, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
"Bombing" also might be way too harsh of a word considering you've gotten 8s so far
when the lowest score in the entire roulette in rounds 1 & 2 is 7.8 then 8.1 and 8.2 are bombing pretty bad  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #1443 on: June 19, 2020, 11:35:53 AM »
Just keep working my way up!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: June 19, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »
"Bombing" also might be way too harsh of a word considering you've gotten 8s so far
when the lowest score in the entire roulette in rounds 1 & 2 is 7.8 then 8.1 and 8.2 are bombing pretty bad  :lol

From that perspective, yeah. But I still like what you've sent so in my eyes you're a winner~

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1445 on: June 19, 2020, 12:54:43 PM »

Winger > Damian Wilson > Duran Duran.

Hot take #744.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1446 on: June 19, 2020, 01:17:20 PM »
Some 80's bands good,
Some 80's bands bad,
Some singer songwriters good,
Some singer songwriters bad,
He drinks a whiskey drink,
He drinks a vodka drink,
He drinks a lager drink,
He drinks a cider drink...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #1447 on: June 19, 2020, 01:26:12 PM »

Winger > Damian Wilson > Duran Duran.

Hot take #744.

I agree with this take!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1448 on: June 19, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
Chad, you sent me Kip fucking Winger in round 1, then Damian fucking Wilson in round 2. You have no one to blame but yourself. Pick better artists, or pick better songs  :lol

Seriously, some of ya'll are playing like major leagues with your adventurous, ambitious picks and others are playing fucking tee-ball with radio rock. C'mon Gomer Pyles, I believe in you!!!

(I am shit talking because I like you guys, I'm not trying to be insulting for real :) )

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1449 on: June 19, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »
considering round 4 is the one i expect to do the worst i'm excited for my next v

but rounds 5 - 8 are all my better stuff tbh. i somehow filled up the entire first half of my roulette with the stuff i'm less excited about, then the second half with all the "omg hell yes" artists. oops

i also know i pretty much already have round 6 on lock for a good score, so  :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: June 19, 2020, 01:43:20 PM »
Yeah no shit
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Well, not really...
« Reply #1451 on: June 19, 2020, 01:43:55 PM »
Unless you give Bohren a 10 or higher, I will exclusively send rock music for the rest of the roulette.

You have been warned.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Well, not really...
« Reply #1452 on: June 19, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »
Unless you give Bohren a 10 or higher, I will exclusively send rock music for the rest of the roulette.

You have been warned.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1453 on: June 19, 2020, 01:52:45 PM »
Damn I love Bohren but I think there are other tracks Katt would have dug more - I think I sent Painless Steel in a previous roulette and scored quite well?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1454 on: June 19, 2020, 01:52:55 PM »
 :rollin

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 3 results bloodbath
« Reply #1455 on: June 19, 2020, 02:54:12 PM »
You're all in luck.

So, just being honest here: the scoring is gonna get tougher from here on out. I can't imagine anything getting less than a 7.0, both out of fairness and how much I enjoy music, but this round tells me there could easily be a 2.x point gap between scores in future rounds. This round was almost an even split between stuff I probably won't revisit and stuff I'm curious about exploring more. There are 5 rounds to change your score, so no need to worry, in fact I myself don't think you should pay attention to the scores, but that's just me. I still enjoy listening to what everyone has to offer each round. I really hate having to say that each week but I empathize with the people in the bottom half, so don't feel bad, please. :)

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Bohren & der Club of Gore [7.4]
1. Im Rauch
2. Fahr Zur Hölle
3. Darkstalker

Ah, man... I love mellow stuff but there was hardly anything going on here. Even in super chill stuff I like some kind of music going on that I can latch onto, a little rhythmic motif, or a light melody, something. None of that is really present here. It just kind of limps to the finish line in each track and says nothing. I mean, it's not BAD, but I just failed to find anything to connect with here. I'm not sure what kind of context I could listen to this in to enjoy it.

jingle.boy: Duran Duran [7.6]
1. The Reflex (Dance Mix)
2. Rio
3. The Wild Boys

I first heard "Rio" in South Park. Watch this from 2:00 to the end.

I went into this expecting to like it, but man, I was let down big time. I just can't get into this, man. I'm not gonna tear it apart - Rio has a great hook and the sax is always a good thing - but whoever this singer is just can't sing imo. I hesitate to call this bad, but I just don't like this. This is a bit 'too' 80s, in a bad way.

kingshmegland: The Feeling [7.6]
1. Love It When You Call
2. Never Be Lonely
3. Strange
4. Sewn

This is nauseatingly similar to The Beatles and I do not like The Beatles. There are a couple nice vocal melodies throughout this, but Love It When You Call and Sewn are almost blatant Beatles worship. Never Be Lonely has kind of a nice vibe and vocal melody, it's my favorite of the bunch. I gotta be honest - this does nothing for me and sounds a little generic.

Podaar: Bullmark (Interstate '76) [7.7]
1. Interstate '76 Theme
2. Vigilante Shuffle
3. Desert Sky Groove
4. The T'aint
5. Spineless Funk
6. Tulip Waltz
7. Never Get Outta the Car (Extended Slap Mix)
8. Reggae Fusion

This was curious. But I can't say it's calling me back to replay it at all. It definitely sounds like music I've heard in some other 90s racing/simulation games, where it's there to have some groove and funk for menu navigation or simple levels, but doesn't have the bite and depth or complexity of real funk or jazz. Maybe I'm being too hard on it, I don't know, but the hooks/melodies aren't strong enough to make me think, "Holy shit!" like a lot of my favorite game music. It is nice to hear some groovy stuff written for a video game, but at the same time I'm not sure it's a soundtrack that I find impressive. It's certainly not bad music, but as a devourer of rich, melodic game music, perhaps I have an unreasonably high standard. This was the most curious entry of the round, and I spent a lot of time thinking about it. The audio poetry was interesting to read as well. Sounds like a curious game, and perhaps I would enjoy the music more in context while actually playing it, if I were to ever pick it up somehow.

Train of Naught: Vulfpeck [7.9]
1. Welcome to Vulf Records
2. Back Pocket
3. Fugue State
4. 1612
5. Animal Spirits
6. Dean Town

Fugue State sounds like Animal Crossing music. I like that. Overall it's pretty happy funk music, and it's charming, but bizarrely it also kind of rubs me a weird way - funk that's happy-go-lucky like this sounds like... I don't know. Makes me think of TV commercials for some reason. The singing sounds kind of sterile to me. I didn't dig this very much, unfortunately, but I admire that it's something different, it's a bit refreshing in that sense.

Puppies_On_Acid: Tenhi [7.9]
1. Revontulet
2. Varpuspävä
3. Katve
4. Pojan Kiiski

What is this, the low key round? These songs never really build to a climax, or have strong hooks. They're nice folksy, woodsy tunes with some lovely pipes and guitars every now and then, though. Always forget what the BoInG-y instrument is, but Tenhi remains the only artist I can think of to use it regularly. The lack of memorable hooks or melodies in this is a big knock against it, but at the same time, I enjoy listening to these and they set a nice mood. They do a really good job of sounding like they're playing in the woods at night. I just wish I remembered more of the music even after multiple listens.

Evermind: Easily Embarrassed [8.0]
1. Time Holes
2. Little Match Sister
3. Little Trees And Mysteries

I would describe this the same way I described The Comet Is Coming: alien cocaine dance party music. That is exactly what this sounds like. Music that would play at an alien party with a whole bunch of lines on the tables. Pretty cool stuff, honestly. Little Trees & Mysteries is my favorite because of that kickass Spanish guitar over the electronic beat. The other two rock, too, and have a much groovier rhythm, but LT&M has that easy, head-boppable beat that I dig so much. I'm not sure it's blowing my mind, but it's cool background music, just not sure how often I'd go back to this when the similar stuff from last round was more compelling imo.

ariich: The Cat Empire [8.1]
1. Fishies
2. Song for the Day
3. The Rhythm
4. The Lost Song
5. Til the Ocean Takes Us All

Okay, so I don't find much of the singing impressive, although I do really like it in some songs (like the end of Til the Ocean Takes Us All, that's some good stuff). But musically, this is really fun! The horns are really the highlight of all the songs and give them most of their character, imo. The reggae vibe of The Lost Song is super cool, the singer's voice is a bit odd but over time I grew to appreciate its unique qualities. I really dig Fishies, The Rhythm, and The Lost Song here. Nothing bad, nothing super impressive, but it's fun and different.

wolfking: Jimmy Barnes [8.1]
1. Driving Wheels
2. Too Much Ain't Enough Love
3. Waiting For The Heartache
4. Let's Make It Last All Night

There's a big Sammy Hagar energy to this guy and these songs. If you had sent me Driving Wheels as an MP3 and labeled it Sammy Hagar, I would've 100% believed it was sung by a young Sammy. That song rocks, I like it a lot. But overall, especially the other three, I've bought this album a thousand times, heard it a million times. I did save Driving Wheels to my favorites playlist; his singing elevates that to the level of something I could listen to regularly, I could easily slot that into a playlist of Jorn and Sammy Hagar and similar rock stars.

Big Hath: Kevin Gilbert/Giraffe [8.2]
1. Giraffe - Because of You
2. Kevin Gilbert - Goodness Gracious
3. Kevin Gilbert - Certifiable #1 Smash
4. Giraffe - Progress

For the most part I can't say the singing does anything for me. I'm known to be picky with singing, though. It's not bad singing. It's just kind of bland in my opinion. The hooks aren't bad either, but they don't grip me. Certifiable #1 Smash is the highlight of this group... what a weird song. Has the energy of a metal song, the groove of a funk song at times, and then it goes totally into new territory when he's talking to the audience, like an impromptu section of a live concert where the band vamps and the frontman rambles for a while. Totally threw me for a loop at first, but I came to really enjoy this one because of how unique it is, I don't think there's anything else like it in my library, which is awesome. Progress is another highlight. So overall while the singing doesn't do much for me, there's some bizarre, creative stuff here that I both dislike and like. It kind of see-saws, but I think it was worth it since Certifiable #1 Smash and Progress are really good.

Bolsters: Mree [8.4]
1. To See the Light
2. Into the Well
3. Monsters
4. On Echo

I liked this a lot. It didn't leave much of an impression on me at first but I quickly warmed up to this. It reminds me of several indie bands + a lot of Múm, but with a little more urgency and rhythmic activity than Múm. I like all of these songs, but I think Into the Well and On Echo are my favorites. Mree clearly focuses on a delicate, pretty atmosphere and they do a good job at it. I'm not sure what kind of genre this counts as, some kind of art pop maybe, but whatever it is, it's very nice. The singer has a gorgeous voice and I really like the string arrangements especially in On Echo.

Stadler: Jeff Beck [8.6]
1. She's a Woman
2. Head for Backstage Pass
3. Blue Wind
4. Freeway Jam

I didn't expect entirely instrumental selections. This is some nice bluesy jam stuff. The rhythm section in a couple of these is striking, Head for Backstage Pass and Blue Wind especially. The audible, punchy bass is fun to listen to. Blue Wind is a real standout piece: fun drum fills and rolls, cool active bass, and awesome guitar and synth tones. I had a hard time telling some of the synth soloing from the guitar at first. Right at 4:25 in Blue Wind, by the way, is a short melodic idea that I feel like I've heard a hundred times elsewhere but I can't figure out where I would've heard it. Freeway Jam is another tasty jam but the guitar is finally the standout star, the melodic choices and way the guitar sings (and takes time off to let the rhythm section breathe) is very nice. Blue Wind is definitely my favorite of the bunch, but all of these are good jams and fun to listen to. Nice stuff.

Buddyhunter 1: Toby Fox (Undertale) [8.7]
1. MEGALOVANIA
2. Another Medium
3. Death By Glamour
4. Undertale
5. Hopes And Dreams
6. His Theme
7. Last Goodbye

This is a mixed bag, ranging from good to really good. MEGALOVANIA is nice, but sounds like a generic "go get 'em" metal-y video game piece. Another Medium has nice grooves, and Undertale is a really delicate, delightful piece although it's rather long for something that repeats the same idea sooo much. Death By Glamour has an infectious energy and a killer saxophone hook, and Hopes and Dreams has similar energy and a REALLY strong melodic hook. The synths shine in that one. His Theme is better than the game's eponymous song, because it's short and sweet, and I like the arrangement of the bells and strings more. The marching drums and brass swells lend a lot to the stoic atmosphere of this piece. I really love the synth sound in Last Goodbye and the mood of that piece; the quick fall when the melody rises reminds me a little of Legend of Zelda. So overall, I really dig the faster moments in this music and a lot of the melodic choices are right up my alley. Not blowing me away, but it's good stuff with some high moments. Cool!

HOF: Paul Buchanan/The Blue Nile [8.8]
1. Paul Buchanan - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
2. The Blue Nile - Regret
3. The Blue Nile - Family Life
4. The Blue Nile - Tinseltown in the Rain

First, the Paul Buchanan song. Lovely cover of a classic, with that airy Paul Buchanan flavor. I really enjoy that one. It's moody but still has enough melody to latch onto it and remember it. The Blue Nile pieces - honestly, for some reason I thought The Blue Nile only had one album, Hats. I love that record. I was surprised to hear these three songs. Regret and Family Life remind me of the softest moments on Hats, and they're GOOD. That's the kind of low key, soft music I like a lot, and Paul Buchanan just seems to have a way with that style of music. He makes it work very well. Something about his singing, his voice works well with it. Tinseltown in the Rain is nice, and a good contrast to all the other somber stuff. Reeks of the 80s, in a good way. Reminds me of Hats a lot. Looks like I have some more Blue Nile exploring to do, thanks, dude!

Indiscipline: Pentangle [8.8]
1. A Maid That's Deep In Love
2. Cruel Sister
3. Hunting Song

I think I like A Maid That's Deep In Love much more than the last time I heard it - maybe that's because I'm hearing it with other Pentangle songs, so it has some context. Maybe I just like it more. Maybe both. I wasn't sure about this stuff at first. It was pleasant but didn't really stick with me. On repeats though, I came to really enjoy the vocal melodies and how they use repetition to drill the musical themes into my head... Moreso on Maid... and Cruel Sister. Hunting Song is really nice. These are all songs I could easily imagine playing in a tavern. They all make me think of taverns in World of Warcraft, actually :) This has a big charm to it and I went from not thinking much of it to it being one of my favorites this round. There's plenty of mood, melody, and rhythmic activity which I like. No one element is sacrificed to favor another and the music benefits from that.

romdrums: Keith Emerson [9.0]
1. Piano Concerto, No. 1: Allegro giocoso
2. Piano Concerto, No. 1: Andante molto cantabile
3. Piano Concerto, No. 1: Toccata con fuoco

I didn't expect this at all from Keith Emerson, but in hindsight maybe I should have expected exactly this. This is magnificent and top notch classical music. The orchestra sounds rich and full. The swells of an orchestra are one of my favorite things in music and when the brass section roars, it gives me goosebumps. There is a musical motif repeated in the last couple of minutes that I believe is in the exact same key and follows a very similar melodic pattern to that of the main theme of the Lord of the Rings movies, which makes me very happy and I love hearing it, it's a fantastic way to cap off the 18 minute journey. I can hear Keith Emerson's style whenever he's playing, and the orchestra is exquisite. This was a big grower. Fantastic music.

Sacul: Saltillo [9.1]
1. Giving In
2. A Hair on the Head of John the Baptist
3. Denim
4. They All Do It The Same

Now that's what I call Sacul music! I REALLY liked this. Perfect blend of chill beats, nice melodies, and relaxed yet measured emotion. I get some Portishead/Morcheeba vibes from a lot of this, based on what I've heard by those acts. But the star of the show here is A Hair on the Head of John the Baptist. LOVE the beat and what the keys are doing, the hook is catchy, and the sampling just works really well with the rest of the music. They All Do It The Same is another really good piece that actually reminds me of Chroma Key in some ways. Man, this is some good stuff, I enjoyed the hell out of this.

Elite: Kamasi Washington [9.1]
1. Re Run
2. Clair de Lune

Man this is just delightful, what else can I say? Re Run is a really nice jazz piece, but the star here is clearly - obviously - Clair de Lune. The idea to take a timeless piano piece and turn it into a jazz ballad is a bold one, but the execution is genius. It's constantly engaging and asking for my attention without showboating or trying too hard to emote, it knows exactly what it's doing and there are some really cool things in here like the jagged sound of the violin halfway through. The main motif is arranged beautifully, and Kamasi - who I assume is playing the lead sax - is a wonderful player. I wonder why I've never heard of him before. This is mighty impressive, and I loved this more with each listen. I would suggest everybody at least check out Clair de Lune to hear why I enjoyed this so much.

1. Bolsters: 9.2 / 9.3 / 8.4 [26.9]
2. Elite: 9.0 / 8.6 / 9.1 [26.7]
3. Buddy: 8.5 / 9.2 / 8.7 [26.4]
4. Big Hath: 8.8 / 9.1 / 8.2 [26.1]
4. Indi: 9.1 / 8.2 / 8.8 [26.1]
6. ariich: 8.9 / 8.8 / 8.1 [25.8]
6. romdrums: 8.4 / 8.4 / 9.0 [25.8]
8. wolfking: 8.7 / 8.9 / 8.1 [25.7]
8. Pup: 9.2 / 8.6 / 7.9 [25.7]
9. Stadler: 8.2 / 8.8 / 8.6 [25.6]
10. Train: 8.1 / 9.4 / 7.9 [25.4]
10. Sacul: 7.8 / 8.5 / 9.1 [25.4]
12. Evermind: 8.6 / 8.7 / 8.0 [25.3]
13. Shadow: 8.2 / 9.4 / 7.4 [25.0]
14. HOF: 7.9 / 8.2 / 8.8 [24.9]
15. Podaar: 8.3 / 8.4 / 7.7 [24.4]
16. king: 7.9 / 8.6 / 7.6 [24.1]
17. jingle: 8.0 / 8.0 / 7.6 [23.6]

Banned from future rounds:
Return to Forever
Caravan Palace
Mos Def
múm
The Midnight
Kip Winger/Winger
Hiroyuki Sawano
Sublime
Amethystium
Steve Earle
Sarah McLachlan
Hall & Oates
Frank Zappa
Federation of the Disco Pimp
Nicolas Jaar
Tower of Power
Jean-Luc Ponty

CHVRCHES
Jason Isbell
Janelle Monáe
Revo
Submotion Orchestra
Icehouse
Ulver
The Weeknd
Stevie Wonder
Enigma
Elvis Presley
Squarepusher
Vince Gill
Joe Jackson
Justice
Sweet Billy Pilgrim
Damian Wilson

Mree
Kamasi Washington
Toby Fox
Kevin Gilbert/Giraffe
Pentangle
The Cat Empire
Keith Emerson
Jimmy Barnes
Tenhi
Jeff Beck
Vulfpeck
Saltillo
Easily Embarrassed
Bohren & der Club of Gore
Paul Buchanan/The Blue Nile
Bullmark/Arion Salazar
The Feeling
Duran Duran
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:19:41 PM by The Walrus »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Nice. Well at least now you can say you hate Undertale but enjoy the Undertale soundtrack. :lol

Not quite sure what to send next tbh but I have a few options, you'll get something tonight
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah okay, you'll have my stuff in two days
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, I expected a bit more.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 3 results bloodbath
« Reply #1460 on: June 19, 2020, 03:07:17 PM »
Rio has a great hook and the sax is always a good thing - but whoever this singer is just can't sing imo.

Not to mention the lyrics are laughably bad.

Sounds like a curious game, and perhaps I would enjoy the music more in context while actually playing it, if I were to ever pick it up somehow.

This is completely fair. At least it didn't score worse that Duran F'ing Duran. I'll take it.

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Simon LeBon "just can't sing"

Said one person ever.

Edit: Gregg... you pain me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Your ears are broken.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

Said one person ever.

Until I've read your's and Stadler's views on Duran Duran, I've literally never known anyone who thought LeBon could sing worth a shit...including Mrs. P who is the biggest '80's pop fan in the world.

Offline HOF

HOF: Paul Buchanan/The Blue Nile [8.8]
1. Paul Buchanan - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
2. The Blue Nile - Regret
3. The Blue Nile - Family Life
4. The Blue Nile - Tinseltown in the Rain

First, the Paul Buchanan song. Lovely cover of a classic, with that airy Paul Buchanan flavor. I really enjoy that one. It's moody but still has enough melody to latch onto it and remember it. The Blue Nile pieces - honestly, for some reason I thought The Blue Nile only had one album, Hats. I love that record. I was surprised to hear these three songs. Regret and Family Life remind me of the softest moments on Hats, and they're GOOD. That's the kind of low key, soft music I like a lot, and Paul Buchanan just seems to have a way with that style of music. He makes it work very well. Something about his singing, his voice works well with it. Tinseltown in the Rain is nice, and a good contrast to all the other somber stuff. Reeks of the 80s, in a good way. Reminds me of Hats a lot. Looks like I have some more Blue Nile exploring to do, thanks, dude!

As much as I love Hats (It’s a top 10 album of all time for me probably), there are days when both A Walk Across the Rooftops and Peace at Last rival it for me. Those three albums are each magnificent in their own way. The debut has more of a Talking Heads/Peter Gabriel vibe (Gabriel was himself influenced by it and a huge fan) while Peace at Last is more of an acoustic guitar album that really suits Buchanan’s voice well IMO. Definitely check those out. Their fourth and last album High is solid but not quite up to the standard of the first three. There are also a ton of great TBN songs that were left off albums as B-sides (like Regret was) or never even officially released. There’s a lot of good stuff to explore!

Buchanan has sung on a bunch of random stuff outside The Blue Nile as well and I keep digging up gems like The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. His voice is so pure and honest, and he has a way with words as well. Such a great artist and band and I love being able to introduce people to them.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent

But yeah, I figured Bohren were a risky submission. They're a pretty interesting group in that there's never really anything going on in their music, kind of like The Tree of Life, except instead of being terrible they're great. So not similar at all I guess, I just turned this post into me complaining about movies I don't like, for some incomprehensible reason.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Said one person ever.

Dude, a like a lot of their tunes, but whoever told Le Bon he could singer is kidding themselves.  I never understood it.  The guy just can't sing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
:onfire:

:lol I believe in you, Cereal!

Nice. Well at least now you can say you hate Undertale but enjoy the Undertale soundtrack. :lol

Not quite sure what to send next tbh but I have a few options, you'll get something tonight

Yeah, as much as I did NOT enjoy my time with the game itself, you convinced me that the music is good. Very nice stuff.

Yeah okay, you'll have my stuff in two days

Backstreet Boys?!  :corn

Damn, I expected a bit more.

Don't say it. Don't say it... that'swhatshesaid :neverusethis:

Sounds like a curious game, and perhaps I would enjoy the music more in context while actually playing it, if I were to ever pick it up somehow.

This is completely fair. At least it didn't score worse that Duran F'ing Duran. I'll take it.

Yay!  :lol

Said one person ever.

You are the first person I've seen sing the praises of the Duran Duran singer by name :lol Now that the formal writeup is out of the way, I really do think the guy is a bad singer. I always try to differentiate between 'personally dislike' and 'actually not good' but I think this guy just is not good at it. Sorry brudda! Damian Wilson is an example of a dude who can sing even if I dislike his voice.

Your ears are broken.

Brother, I thought the same thing about the singer.

snippity

As much as I love Hats (It’s a top 10 album of all time for me probably), there are days when both A Walk Across the Rooftops and Peace at Last rival it for me. Those three albums are each magnificent in their own way. The debut has more of a Talking Heads/Peter Gabriel vibe (Gabriel was himself influenced by it and a huge fan) while Peace at Last is more of an acoustic guitar album that really suits Buchanan’s voice well IMO. Definitely check those out. Their fourth and last album High is solid but not quite up to the standard of the first three. There are also a ton of great TBN songs that were left off albums as B-sides (like Regret was) or never even officially released. There’s a lot of good stuff to explore!

Buchanan has sung on a bunch of random stuff outside The Blue Nile as well and I keep digging up gems like The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. His voice is so pure and honest, and he has a way with words as well. Such a great artist and band and I love being able to introduce people to them.

Awesome, I'll go save those on Spotify right now. Really excited to check them out!

sad pics :(

But yeah, I figured Bohren were a risky submission. They're a pretty interesting group in that there's never really anything going on in their music, kind of like The Tree of Life, except instead of being terrible they're great. So not similar at all I guess, I just turned this post into me complaining about movies I don't like, for some incomprehensible reason.

:lol Sacul did send me one or two of their songs in a past roulette, and while they were a bit more active, I think I still had a similar impression. Can't win 'em all!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I'm sure that if it weren't for the popularity of MTV in the '80's LeBon wouldn't have been in any music group, let alone as a singer. It was all about his look...that's what was moistening panties (perhaps of several genders).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just Google imaged Simon LeBon. Holy shit that's what was considered hot in the 80s? I'm so fucking glad I was born in 91  :rollin WTF is with that hair?!