Author Topic: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- now exploring every roulette submission ever  (Read 138662 times)

Offline HOF

Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- And the winner is........
« Reply #3045 on: August 02, 2020, 03:53:57 PM »
You were definitely one of the most consistent players, for sure! And that just proves how nonsensical my tastes can seem. I SHOULD like Ben Folds! But I don't seem to. I do appreciate taking risks and sending a variety though. I feel like sometimes the scoring systems interfere with that, to some extent.

I like some of Ben Folds’ stuff (Rockin’ the Suberbs is a great album, and the first Ben Folds Five has its moments), but I also get the sense that I should like him more than I do.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3046 on: August 03, 2020, 07:34:59 AM »
It's still really fun looking back at each round's playlist and seeing so much variety. I have a hard time listening to one genre for a very long time these days, I like to hear all kinds of different sounds (obviously) so this was super fun to jump between jazz and ska and country and musicals and folk music and classical etc. just such an awesome wide range of sounds and styles. Unlike past roulettes I wasn't able to listen to this music on my nice monitors, but this weekend I hooked them back up to my new PC and I'll get to hear a lot of this stuff again in a really fun way.

I think I'm going to make a thread where I'll occasionally do big updates with my thoughts on albums I checked out from roulette submissions. Should be fun.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3047 on: August 03, 2020, 07:48:30 AM »
I think I'm going to make a thread where I'll occasionally do big updates with my thoughts on albums I checked out from roulette submissions. Should be fun.

This is exactly what I'm doing today in a few hours. :) I'll definitely follow that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3048 on: August 03, 2020, 08:00:46 AM »

This is exactly what I'm doing today in a few hours. :) I'll definitely follow that.

I'll follow yours, too. Woo!

I have a system set up now. I get to see-saw between drowning in an endless sea of 2020 releases and all this! At least I've got enough options for music discovery to last me through the next ten years  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3049 on: August 03, 2020, 08:13:05 AM »
Podaar, I would still love to hear those things. I love Native American flute stuff (though not in my symphonic metal, Nightwish :getoffmylawn: ) and the Hawaiian stuff sounds interesting, too.

Here's the signature song from the Elvis of Hawaiian protest music, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole (or just Iz, as he's popularly known on the Islands). Just to give you a taste.

As for Native Flute, you can't do better than Carlos Nakai. Sun's House is a great sample of the genre.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3050 on: August 03, 2020, 08:15:14 AM »
Nice job Indi, nice job Mike, and nice job to TAC for his role, whatever the fook that was!   :)

This was a fun one.  I like sending off-kilter stuff and seeing if it sticks.

(By the way, Mike, you may have heard a LOT of that Moby stuff; he licenses a lot of his music for use elsewhere, in commercials, documentaries, etc.  I think at one point EVERY song off of his album "Play" was licensed for some additional use.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3051 on: August 03, 2020, 08:21:13 AM »
Nice job Indi, nice job Mike, and nice job to TAC for his role, whatever the fook that was!   :)

This was a fun one.  I like sending off-kilter stuff and seeing if it sticks.

(By the way, Mike, you may have heard a LOT of that Moby stuff; he licenses a lot of his music for use elsewhere, in commercials, documentaries, etc.  I think at one point EVERY song off of his album "Play" was licensed for some additional use.)

Wow. That's the first one I'll check out then. You might be right!

Podaar, I would still love to hear those things. I love Native American flute stuff (though not in my symphonic metal, Nightwish :getoffmylawn: ) and the Hawaiian stuff sounds interesting, too.

Here's the signature song from the Elvis of Hawaiian protest music, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole (or just Iz, as he's popularly known on the Islands). Just to give you a taste.

As for Native Flute, you can't do better than Carlos Nakai. Sun's House is a great sample of the genre.

AWESOME. I just wrapped up an album so I'll check those out right now.

EDIT: Would've loved to receive some Iz during the roulette. Beautiful song. Think I'll just listen to the whole record right now. I know his rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow and it's beautiful but I always wanted to hear more.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:27:09 AM by The Walrus »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3052 on: August 03, 2020, 09:13:25 AM »
This Iz record is really lovely chill stuff.  :hat

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3053 on: August 03, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm an Iz fan for sure.

If you like reggae, there's Hawaiian flavor of it colloquially known as Jawiian. I can't think of any artists off the top of my head (it's been years since I tried to get into it) but it's chock full of protest against haole rule.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: August 03, 2020, 09:56:12 AM »
I'm going to have to look up what haole even means.

Listening to the Carlos Nakai record now and wow this is just beautiful. You should've sent this during the roulette. Probably would've done very well. That's EXACTLY what I was calling for in this roulette. :hefdaddy

EDIT: Might have figured out part of my love for the sound of Native American flutes. They remind me of owls. During summers all my life I'd hear owls in the evening. Not sure what kind of owl it is, but it was a distinctive "Hooooo, hoooo, hoooo..." that would repeat and slowly descend in pitch with each hoo, almost like it was moving away, about one hoo per second. Anyway I love the sound of owls and flutes and yeah. Love this music  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:27:37 AM by The Walrus »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3055 on: August 03, 2020, 10:38:20 AM »
Shame to end up bang in mid-table, but also really glad I never scored below 8.1 - basically every single submission fell in the 8.1-8.9 range so I was very average all throughout, but consistent at least. :lol

Ok, albums to start with for each artist:

Caravan Palace: Definitely start with their self-titled debut, and if you like it and want to check more then just work your way chronologically. The next two are really great, and then their latest is less exciting but pleasant enough.

Submotion Orchestra: Their debut, Finest Hour, is wonderful and a great starting point. The 1968 EP is also amazing. So I would definitely start with both (the EP is short) as they both offer something a little different. If you like them then again just work forward chronologically.

The Cat Empire: So Many Nights is the best album to start with, definitely, it has an energy and infectiousness to it that I think you'll enjoy a lot and it's a little more experimental than their other albums. Their self-titled is more indie but also really great fun, so check that next if you want to explore more.

Regina Spektor: Hard to choose between the two albums I sent you songs from. Your favourites were from Begin to Hope, but personally I find Far to be the stronger and more consistent album. Take your pick between them, or ideally check out both.

Everything Everything: Their latest, Fever Dream, is definitely their strongest overall IMO, so start there.

Blue Food: They only have one full-length, Engines, so start with that. They also did an EP which is great fun too, maybe even more up your street.

Alkinoos Ioannidis: All the songs I sent were from Oi Peripeteies Enos Proskyniti (The Adventures of a Pilgrim) so that's the obvious starting point. If you want to explore more, it kinda depends what you're most interested in I guess. I really like his latest album, Mikri Valitsa (Small Suitcase), which is more stripped back acoustic Cypriot folk really - I don't think there was even a drummer on that album. His other three really good albums (from newest to oldest) are Neroponti (Downpour), Anemodeiktis (Weathervane) and O Dromos, O Chronos Kai O Ponos (The Road, the Time and the Pain) which have some great songs but are all a little mixed/incoherent as albums.

Bizali: Thanks Anna is really the album to check out - and like I said the Spotify version doesn't have the bonus track, but at least I've sent it to you so you have it. The other album they have on Spotify I like a lot but it's very different, it's not really funky and is much more indie/experimental - a precursor to Mesadorm who they ended up forming (with an added Cellist) after they stopped as Bizali.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3056 on: August 03, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
Listening to the Carlos Nakai record now and wow this is just beautiful. You should've sent this during the roulette. Probably would've done very well. That's EXACTLY what I was calling for in this roulette. :hefdaddy

Doh,  :facepalm:

I didn't trust my instincts and figured you'd just think it boring. I love it...music to get a gentle massage by while the smell of incense is in the air.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3057 on: August 03, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »

Doh,  :facepalm:

I didn't trust my instincts and figured you'd just think it boring. I love it...music to get a gentle massage by while the smell of incense is in the air.  :)

It also helps that it has those Ghost of Tsushima vibes, despite being a fair ways away from that part of the world  :lol

Thanks for the suggestions Rich! I'll be following them when I get to your picks.  :corn

Offline HOF

« Reply #3058 on: August 03, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »
I think I’ve given you album recommendations for all of my entries already, but a quick recap:

1. Kip Winger: You should check out Songs from the Ocean Floor which I didn’t send anything from trying to avoid rock and prog, but it probably would have been fine given what else ended up getting through. But definitely check out the classical album he released, Conversations with Nijinsky.

2. Sweet Billy Pilgrim: if you liked Kalypso you’ll probably like Twice Born Men, which is about the same style and pace as that song throughout. But my favorite from them is probably Motorcade Amnesiacs, and I think I’d recommend starting there.

3. Paul Buchanan/The Blue Nile: check out A Walk Across the Rooftops first, and also Peace at Last.

4. Crowded House: either the self-titled debut or Temple of Low Men

5. Peter Gabriel: from what I sent you, definitely Passion.

6. Nickel Creek: self-titled is where I’d start.

7. The Clientele: Music for the Age of Miracles and Strange Geometry.

8. Mike Keneally: from your impressions, you might like Nonkertompf, but I still think you should give Beer for Dolphins - Dancing a full spin or twelve to see if it clicks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3059 on: August 03, 2020, 01:13:29 PM »
Yay, thank you HOF!  :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3060 on: August 03, 2020, 02:59:21 PM »
Send you a pm with my album recommendations. I'll prob send you a short playlist of leftovers later tho, since you won't host another of these for quite a while.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3061 on: August 06, 2020, 12:36:04 PM »
First post-roulettes update. Still not sure if I want to make a thread for this but I'm already having a blast. Not picking in any order, just going from artist to artist.

CHVRCHES
---
The Bones of What You Believe
Every Open Eye
Love Is Dead

My favorite from this last roulette and one of my favorite roulette submissions in general. Can't get enough of this group, I love Lauren Mayberry's voice, the lyrics, and the synth sounds, it's huge, super catchy, it's just perfect. Every Open Eye is a bit too long and not quite as strong as the other two records imo but it has Leave A Trace and Clearest Blue which are two of my very favorites. Overall this group just knocks it out of the park, huge fan of them now. Put all 3 on the purchase list

Gunship
---
Gunship
Dark All Day

The debut is all right, but I've heard better synthwave, and it wasn't nearly as captivating as I expected it to be based on Dark All Day. Now DAD, that is a tremendous album, banger after banger. The title track is still the best thing about it but that's a really high bar tbh. This group rules, hope their next one is like Dark All Day. Put DAD on the purchase list and maybe the debut if I warm up to it some more

VOLA
---
Inmazes
Applause of a Distant Crowd

Every once in a while the djenty-ness of the metal sounds like Voyager which is a good thing imo. The first album is great, but Applause is super impressive. The whole thing has this great, cool, watery texture, it's very peaceful and calm but sounds huge and engaging at the same time. They have such a unique sound and they make excellent use of his voice. They are fantastic at making odd meters sound less jarring than they should be. Ruby Pool is my favorite song by these guys. Will definitely buy both and I would love for them to play PPUSA in the future

Offline HOF

« Reply #3062 on: August 06, 2020, 12:51:07 PM »
4. Crowded House: either the self-titled debut or Temple of Low Men

Random fact I just learned that you can stick in your pocket for when you need a six degrees of separation link: Joe Satriani provided some background vocals on Temple of Low Men (according to Allmusic.com at least).

Edit: so the way I found that out is I was checking out the credits for session guitarist (and now YouTuber) Tim Pierce, who played some extra guitar on the first two Crowded House records. This video is pretty cool as he breaks down some of the guitar parts and plays some of an early rehearsal tape of them working on Don’t Dream It’s Over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7x638PhVM&t=500s

One more edit then I’ll stop. This live performance by Neil Finn is tremendous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I90oxWF2lms
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:18:54 PM by HOF »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- post-roulette listening part 1
« Reply #3063 on: August 08, 2020, 06:53:24 PM »
Oh I forgot to post in here. I'm glad you're enjoying CHVRCHES so much! Technically half the credit goes to Bolsters, and even more technically all the credit goes to Bolsters, since he's the one who sent The Mother We Share in my roulette and introduced me to the group.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- now exploring every roulette submission ever
« Reply #3064 on: August 10, 2020, 02:17:04 PM »
HOF, I appreciate the info! I'll be referring to your posts when I check out Crowded House  :metal Shadow, you and Bolsters both share credit for CHVRCHES. But I'll give the slight edge to Bolsters for introducing you in the first place  :lol

Back with one more!

Caravan Palace - albums Caravan Palace, Panic, <|º_º|>, and Chronologic. I think I like the first and most recent albums the most. The first one has Dragons and Suzy, which are still my favorite songs, but the newest, Chronologic, has this smoother, kind of poppy sound compared to the others. I like it a lot. Going to continue listening to these guys throughout the day and night. Lots of groovy stuff here. Actually, About You (feat. Charles X) on Chronologic is quickly becoming a favorite. Fun band with a unique sound! EDIT: Yup, latest album is quickly becoming my favorite!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:37:19 PM by The Walrus »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I can't remember who is responsible for introducing me to CHVRCHES. I know I discovered them here on DTF but they weren't sent to me during a roulette, I must have just stumbled onto the name in another thread and checked them out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've decided to post sporadic updates after I finish rounds so this will be a long term project. I'm doing a deep dive on (almost) every band, pretty much everything this roulette that caught my interest, which was almost everything sent haha. So after I get through round 1 I'll post a big ol writeup thing. Tower of Power alone is keeping me busy as I'm checking out a bunch of records from them.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The name ‘Tower of Power’ always brings back memories to the Ascension map in Halo 2 multiplayer.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey