Author Topic: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- now exploring every roulette submission ever  (Read 138682 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 6 RESULTS
« Reply #2450 on: July 13, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »
Heading into the penultimate round... Fock me, you all just don't stop sending great music. I know I sound like a broken record but for real, whether you're in the lead or in the back, you're all winners to me due to each one of you sending some certified Good Shit™ since the start of this roulette. :)

But after tallying up the scores, I am quite surprised at who's coming out on top. You all have two rounds to change your standings!

Train of Naught: Massive Attack 7.9
1. Splitting the Atom
2. Dissolved Girl
3. Atlas Air

Getting some big Imogen Heap and Second Person vibes out of Dissolved Girl... Splitting the Atom doesn't connect with me much. Atlas Air is definitely my favorite, I just really like that theme and the beat. But man are the vocals sleepy on all of these. The vibe is nice, but the hooks are really low key and unobstrusive.  It's good for listening to at work, actually, but I get restless listening to it otherwise. There's stuff here I like a lot, and I'm curious about hearing a full album to see how these work in that context, but having heard a couple songs before, I'm starting to wonder if I can be sold on Massive Attack. Not giving up hope, though. To end on a more positive note, I really like how somehow Atlas Air doesn't feel nearly as long as it actually is. :)

Evermind: Delerium 7.9
1. Fallen Icons (ft. Jenifer McLaren)
2. Silence (ft. Sarah McLachlan)
3. Euphoria (Firefly) (ft. Jacqui Hunt)

Okay so full disclosure I actually just listened to a Delerium album at the start of June because a friend elsewhere linked it to me as a suggestion - Chimera. None of the songs here were on that album, but they do sound very similar. In fact, the songs here all sound like each other. I'm not sure that's a bad thing but in some ways they do blend together. The singers are good (Sarah McLachlan returns) but they aren't stealing the spotlight. Actually, Silence might be my favorite here because of how it mixes choral vocals with the electronics and that 90s drum beat. Has a very interesting vibe about it. Lyrically I'm not getting much out of these but I feel like that might have to do with how detached and cold the singers sound. Like they sound good, but not like they're attached to the music, they sound distant and disconnected. But maybe that's just me. Overall, I like this, there's a lot here that I also liked about several of your previous submissions: namely the smooth electronics, 90s beats, and an interesting combination of sounds not normally heard elsewhere. I just want those melodies to be stronger and more interesting.

Podaar: Depeche Mode 8.1
1. A Pain That I'm Used To
2. In Chains
3. My Little Universe
4. Scum

I really wanted to like this more than I did, bud! I guess Depeche Mode may just not be for me. It's not that I disliked this, but I didn't find anything that blew me away. Based on what little other Depeche Mode I've heard, I think I like this more than that. A Pain That I'm Used To - I like the hook a lot. My Little Universe has a cool beat and synth line. I don't think I'm digging the singer or his style, though. I'm definitely not saying they're bad because I know Depeche Mode is hugely popular and a big influence on so many artists, but I don't think it's for me. I'm glad you showed me some more of their stuff though, because I needed to hear it.

TAC: Tangerine Dream 8.2
1. Central Park
2. The Warring Forces of the Twins
3. Stratosfear

I keep replaying these. They're not bad. They're kind of interesting! But I find myself zoning out at some point during each of these tracks. The Warring Forces of the Twins is the highlight here for me. A nice bobbable beat, a delicious harpsichord theme, it's got it all. Central Park has some curious electronic stuff going on but it lacks the memorability of TWFOTT. Stratosfear is more curious than it is entertaining; I find it interesting and fun to listen to all the synth sounds, and the main theme is noticeable but not all that compelling. The whole piece sounds like background music. Perhaps that's what Tangerine Dream is best at? Given the massive scale of their discography I don't think this even scratches the surface of what they have to offer so I'm sure it must've been a nightmare picking out some submission material. That factors into the score a little bit; I want to rank this both lower and higher for a bunch of reasons, but it is what it is. I found this more curious than entertaining although it is good music!

Buddyhunter1: Celldweller 8.2
1. It Makes No Difference Who We Are
2. Birthright
3. The Lucky One
4. Breakout (ft. Scandroid)

The Lucky One is the standout here. It's really corny, but it's really fun, and has a fun energy to it. Birthright is up there, too - really good energetic song. Breakout starts out almost identically to Edguy's "Superheroes" which I find greatly amusing. I like the beat to that one. Hook's pretty catchy and I like the synths. This is some curious music. I liked it from the start, but it never quite blew me away (although TLO and Birthright do scratch an itch I didn't know I had). Very interesting style, there's definitely something here.

ariich: Blue Food 8.3
1. Boogiemen
2. Engine of the World
3. Joker Face

Gonna get right to the heart of this one, I don't think I'm totally sold on this group. THAT SAID, I think it's fun, quality jazz. There's something about it though, I'm not feeling a connection with it. The bass is punchy and the drums are fun to listen to, but I'm not connecting with the singer or the melodies, and I find myself wanting more 'soul' out of the music, if you know what I mean? I dig the band name (reminds me of a Carlin bit) but this didn't grow on me as much as I had hoped it would. Top notch playing, no doubt, but it's missing something critical for my tastes.

kingshmegland: The Fixx 8.4
1. Deeper and Deeper
2. Red Skies
3. Are We Ourselves?
4. One Thing Leads To Another
5. How Much Is Enough

Okay I've been really struggling with this one all round. It's taken me 6 rounds but I think I understand what new wave is now. I think it's more a subgenre of pop/rock (pop rock even, maybe) than its own distinct thing, because while this is fun and has a nice light sound, it's very much in the realm of rock, down to the rock beats and even some riffs. It's almost like 80s Rush at times. So I'm starting to get the impression that new wave, while fun, is a bit too safe of a genre for me to explore further. At the same time, I thought this was a lot better than some of your other submissions - the melodies are strong and the hooks are even stronger, those are the songs' biggest strengths. I really like Deeper and Deeper, that's probably my favorite, but Are We Ourselves? and One Thing Leads To Another is good, too. All five have really good hooks though. So I'm still kind of torn. On one hand from a roulette perspective this is a solid batch of songs deserving of the score, but in the bigger picture, it's not going to be a high priority for exploration post-roulette - but it has piqued my interest for sure.

wolfking: John Farnham 8.5
1. Break the Ice
2. Age of Reason
3. Thunder in Your Heart

This definitely rocks but I think it qualifies more as pop because the guitar is rudimentary and the synths have more going on. Farnham has a really good voice. Each of these has a great hook. I like Thunder in Your Heart the most. Age of Reason reels it in a bit but it kind of has a Rush, Tears for Fears, Toto type of vibe all blended together. His singing on that song reminds me of someone specific but I just can't pinpoint who it is. Anyway, I like these a lot. Big 80s pop energy, maybe not doing anything I haven't heard before, but it's nice to finally hear something other than You're The Voice. And look at you, beating out jazz and avant-garde electroprog and other non-rock genres, with rock. You got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em... you've either been drawing some lucky hands from your musical deck, or are just really good at navigating my tastes in pop rock. Genuinely surprised at the quality from your picks considering it's so rock-ish :)

HOF: Nickel Creek 8.5
1. The Lighthouse's Tale
2. Out of the Woods
3. This Side
4. First and Last Waltz
5. Helena

This Side and Helena are my favorites. I really like the melodies there and the general vibes... The Lighthouse's Tale also has a nice rhythm and the lyrics are good. Out of the Woods and First and Last Waltz are far from bad, but after multiple listens they don't stand out quite as much as the rest. At first I was afraid this was going to be hard to appreciate because of how gentle it is, but I kept coming back to it, cranking the volume and focusing on it, listening in different situations to see what worked. I really like this. Nice acoustic folky music. Many years ago I dated a girl who was big on this group and I enjoyed them whenever she'd play them in the car on a long drive but never looked into them. This was nice to hear. So I'm not chomping at the bit for more right now, but I'm definitely going to explore them at some point after the roulette, I think they'll fill a perfectly sized hole in my library for sure.

Stadler: Harry Styles 8.6
1. Golden
2. Watermelon Sugar
3. Ever Since New York
4. Sign of the Times
5. Cherry

Okay, Golden isn't bad, and Watermelon Sugar has a fun vibe and a nice hook. But Ever Since New York is a HOME RUN. That simple little guitar lick, the drum beat that sounds exactly like Toto's song I Will Remember, that great hook and the vocal layers. Ticks all the boxes in my opinion. Sign of the Times is great for similar reasons. Cherry takes a while to get going but I appreciate this almost pop-country vibe it takes on when the drums start up. I think I see why you like Harry Styles so much. You've convinced me he has a great voice, at least, and the songs here imply there's some really good stuff to be found on his records.

Puppies_On_Acid: Björk 8.7
1. Army of Me
2. Joga
3. Pagan Poetry
4. Unison

Björk is so weird. This definitely grew on me, and honestly, it's still growing on me. I didn't find any of these immediately memorable, there's a lot of artistry on display here, but I can't lie, it's been taking me a while to look past her accent and quirky style of singing to appreciate the music. Lyrically I'm not all that interested in it, but her delivery of the vibe is convincing in its own weird way. I think Pagan Poetry is my favorite here. I'm really not sure what to think of that last minute, her accent is both charming and grating, the repetition of 'she loves him' kind of gets old after a while, but there's something about it... Joga is another really good one. Unison isn't bad, but it doesn't stand out the way the others do. Army of Me is kind of in the middle. At first I didn't like her voice but I think I do now. Those unique voices are either charming or a turn-off, so it's nice that I warmed up to her. She seems very creative and unique, not sure I've heard anything quite like Björk, so I'll definitely be giving her music more attention in the future.

Elite: John Coltrane 8.8
1. A Love Supreme, Pt. I - Acknowledgement
2. Alabama
3. Giant Steps

Man, that's what I call jazz. You can hear the individual instruments so easily in these Coltrane songs and everybody's doing something really interesting. The drummer especially is a treat to listen to by itself, and I love what the piano and bass are doing in the back. I don't listen to too much jazz with singing but it's nice what happens in the last couple minutes of A Love Supreme. Alabama does something I really enjoy about old school jazz: it's not always about cramming a million notes into a a few bars. Alabama allows sooo much room for Coltrane to breathe, the rhythm section is almost doing some avant-garde stuff especially for the time. There's a whole minute toward the end as it goes to the finish where it almost breaks down, that's the best part imo. Giant Steps is really fun although it's kind of emblematic of that 'million notes a second' type of jazz playing that people stereotype the genre as. I would say I think there's a lack of a strong memorable melody in these tracks. I've played them a bunch and there are moments that stand out but it's hard for me to remember what the actual motif is, if any. As fun as they are to listen to it disappoints me when I can't remember the meat of a piece when it's over.

romdrums: John Coltrane 8.8
1. Countdown
2. The Night Has a Thousand Eyes
3. Naima
4. A Love Supreme, Pt. I - Acknowledgement

Okay so A Love Supreme is a delectable bit of jazz tastiness, you can clearly hear each instrument and they're all playing their own interesting parts. It's one of the highlights here. Countdown shares a similar craziness with Giant Steps in Elite's Coltrane submissions, I like it, although it's a bit chaotic, just like Giant Steps. The Night Has a Thousand Eyes has some gorgeous piano chords and a great solo. Naima is very pretty and once again shares similarities with Elite's Coltrane submissions in that it's super restrained and has minimal rhythm and percussive elements. And I really like that side of jazz. Naima does a fantastic job giving the piano and bass plenty of room to breathe, and even the drums have some interesting stuff going on with all the delicate cymbal work, I'm impressed at the playing at such quiet volumes. That's a real winner, and my favorite of this bunch. Both these Coltrane submissions are excellent, I think you both have convinced me that Coltrane is a must-have in my library now, although again, I am left wanting for more memorable melodies. Perhaps I need to shift my jazz expectations or continue my listening, since I'm still clearly a noob.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Heilung 8.9
1. Svanrand
2. Traust

Okay so I know a bunch of people who are gaga for this group and this is my first time lisening to them. This is actually really cool. No idea what the words are about, I'm just gonna assume it's some pagan folky foresty worship type stuff, but it's really cool how they utilize the voice as both a melodic and percussive instrument and the rhythms are just as important as the melody. It gives the music this mystical, tense feeling. And it never feels like it's meandering or losing sight of where it's going even though the second song is very long. I liked this at first but was nervous the novelty might wear off. Now of course I haven't sat through an entire album of this, but damn this is some really cool stuff, it defied my expectations. The logo and art made me fear it was another umpteenth folk band with a hurdy gurdy and flutes and the whole nine yards. Instead it reminded me a lot of that Tenhi band Puppies has sent me. Cool!

Big Hath: Jaco Pastorius 9.0
1. Weather Report - Birdland
2. Portrait of Tracy
3. Weather Report - Teen Town
4. Al Di Meola - Suite Golden Dawn

I'm kind of embarrassed I've never listened to Jaco Pastorius until now. At least knowingly. I love that you sent Birdland. When I was a kid I heard the Manhattan Transfer version - I remember it being one of the first songs I heard that made me think differently about music, I remember listening mainly to video game music at the time, and I heard Birdland and fell in love with the richness of it all. It was a real treat to hear the original, and Jaco's work on it is spectacular. The reason for his fame is apparent, I don't feel like I can say anything that hasn't already been said about his playing. He's a delight to listen to - and of course the rest of the band is. I'm not so crazy about Portrait of Tracy. I get that it's a bass standard now and it's one of his signature pieces but I'm just not crazy about it from an entertainment perspective. As a work of art, it's very good and the way he plays it is fascinating to me, but I find the Weather Report songs far more pleasing to listen to. Suite Golden Dawn is a beautiful trip, everyone's phenomenal to listen to but as this is a Jaco submission my ears were drawn towards his playing. Very enjoyable, not quite as good as the others in my opinion, but still of a high caliber. Overall this is some really rich music and I think I'd love listening to more of Jaco's playing so hit me with some suggestions, I'm stoked to learn who else he played with.

Sacul: TR/ST 9.1
1. Sulk
2. Shoom
3. This Ready Flesh
4. Bulbform

The one iffy thing about these songs has been the singer's voice. I've never been quite sure if I liked it or not. I think I do, though. The more I thought about it, the better it seems to work with these lush beats and melodies. It's like chill dance music, I don't know why but I get this goth vibe from it? Might be one of the coolest things you've sent so far honestly, there's not any one element that stands out as awesome but everything works together so well and I love the vibes. Sulk and This Ready Flesh might be my favorites, but they're all consistently quality and not too same-y sounding.

Bolsters: Purity Ring 9.2
1. begin again
2. heartsigh
3. repetition
4. pink lightning
5. sea castle

Stunning. Does this count as synthwave? I love it. It took me days to figure out who the singer reminds me of. It definitely sounds like Halsey's voice, but where Halsey's inflections border on annoying, Purity Ring's singer doesn't strike that nerve. Love the super vibrant synths and laid back beats. Big mood, all around. Looove everything about this, it's just so vibrant and warm and lovely.

Indiscipline: Rondò Veneziano 9.3
1. Odissea veneziana
2. La Serenissima
3. Magica Melodia
4. Cappriccio veneziano
5. Rondò veneziano

Oh man, what a brilliant decision to add some simple beats to classical music. This is fantastic. Everything from the tone of the instruments to the articulation is great, but it feels emphasized by the steady beats which make already melodic music even catchier. I really, really love this, it appeals to my sense of catchy pop music and lush strings and classical structure. Fock me this is fantastic. Everybody should listen to this just to see what it's about. I have nothing bad to say about this in any capacity.

jingle.boy: Nikki Yanofsky 9.4
1. Something New
2. Little Secret
3. Kaboom Pow
4. Take The "A" Train
5. I Believe

There's no doubt in my mind that this is the round winner. There's some great variety in the tracks here, there's some great arrangements and playing from the band, but it's the singing, man... That voice is gold and makes me feel ways. Love at first listen. She can control her voice effortlessly and man does she sound like she's having fun. Focking hell, I may have a crush on her... okay, just Googled her, crush confirmed. (Last minute edit: two round winners in a row? You lucky focking devil. How'd you pull that off?)

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 6 RESULTS
« Reply #2451 on: July 13, 2020, 03:56:32 PM »

(I tried to check this myself for accuracy but please let me know if my math is not correct)
1. Elite:   9.0 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 8.1 / 9.2 / 8.8 = [52.8]
2. Indi:   9.1 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 7.9 / 8.9 / 9.3 = [52.2]
3. Big Hath:    8.8 / 9.1 / 8.2 / 8.4 / 8.4 / 9.0 = [51.9]
4. romdrums:    8.4 / 8.4 / 9.0 / 8.7 / 8.5 / 8.8 = [51.8]
5. Bolsters:    9.2 / 9.3 / 8.4 / 8.0 / 7.6 / 9.2 = [51.7]
5. wolfking:    8.7 / 8.9 / 8.1 / 8.4 / 9.1 / 8.5 = [51.7]
7. Pup:    9.2 / 8.6 / 7.9 / 8.3 / 8.7 / 8.7 = [51.4]
7. jingle:    8.0 / 8.0 / 7.6 / 9.1 / 9.3 / 9.4 = [51.4]
(a noteworthy improvement - from 14th to 7th in one round, with two round winners in a row)
9. Train:    8.1 / 9.4 / 7.9 / 9.2 / 8.8 / 7.9 = [51.3]
10. Sacul:    7.8 / 8.5 / 9.1 / 8.1 / 8.6 / 9.1 = [51.2]
10. Stadler:    8.2 / 8.8 / 8.6 / 9.1 / 7.9 / 8.6 = [51.2]
12. ariich:    8.9 / 8.8 / 8.1 / 8.6 / 8.1 / 8.3 = [50.8]
13. Buddy:    8.5 / 9.2 / 8.7 / 8.0 / 7.8 / 8.2 = [50.4]
14. Evermind:   8.6 / 8.7 / 8.0 / 8.0 / 9.0 / 7.9 = [50.2]
14. HOF:    7.9 / 8.2 / 8.8 / 8.5 / 8.3 / 8.5 = [50.2]
16. Shadow:    8.2 / 9.4 / 7.4 / 8.2 / 8.0 / 8.9 = [50.1]
17. Podaar:   8.3 / 8.4 / 7.7 / 8.8 / 8.2 / 8.1 = [49.5]
17. king:    7.9 / 8.6 / 7.6 / 8.0 / 9.0 / 8.4 = [49.5]
19. TAC:   32.1 / --- / --- / --- / 7.7 / 8.2 = [48.0]

Banned from future rounds:
Return to Forever
Caravan Palace
Mos Def
múm
The Midnight
Kip Winger/Winger
Hiroyuki Sawano
Sublime
Amethystium
Steve Earle
Sarah McLachlan
Hall & Oates
Frank Zappa
Federation of the Disco Pimp
Nicolas Jaar
Tower of Power
Jean-Luc Ponty

CHVRCHES
Jason Isbell
Janelle Monáe
Revo
Submotion Orchestra
Icehouse
Ulver
The Weeknd
Stevie Wonder
Enigma
Elvis Presley
Squarepusher
Vince Gill
Joe Jackson
Justice
Sweet Billy Pilgrim
Damian Wilson

Mree
Kamasi Washington
Toby Fox
Kevin Gilbert/Giraffe
Pentangle
The Cat Empire
Keith Emerson
Jimmy Barnes
Tenhi
Jeff Beck
Vulfpeck
Saltillo
Easily Embarrassed
Bohren & der Club of Gore
Paul Buchanan/The Blue Nile
Bullmark/Arion Salazar
The Feeling
Duran Duran

Clarence Clarity
Tori Amos
George Michael/Wham
Bob James & Keiko Matsui
Gogo Penguin
Regina Spektor
Crowded House/Split Enz/Neil Finn
Eric Johnson
Imogen Heap
Cloud Cult
Algiers
Akira Yamaoka
HAIM
Harmonix Music Systems
Gareth Coker/Ori and the Blind Forest
CPR
Janis Ian

Cher/Christina Aguilera
Joe Henderson
Tears for Fears
Mr. Mister
Joan Baez
Al Di Meola
clipping.
Boards of Canada
The Black Queen
Art Blakey
Go West
Peter Gabriel
Derek Trucks
Everything Everything
Second Person
California Guitar Trio
Infected Mushroom
Michael Schenker
Cœur de pirate

Massive Attack
Delerium
Depeche Mode
Tangerine Dream
Celldweller
Blue Food
John Farnham
The Fixx
Nickel Creek
Harry Styles
Björk
John Coltrane
Heilung
Jaco Pastorius
TR/ST
Purity Ring
Rondò Veneziano
Nikki Yanofsky
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 6 RESULTS (send for round 7)
« Reply #2452 on: July 13, 2020, 04:00:09 PM »
Man look how big those posts are. I'm taking a f'ing music break til tomorrow.  :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2453 on: July 13, 2020, 04:08:00 PM »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2454 on: July 13, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
Hell yeah, that's a very cool album to dance to in an abandoned hangar :metal

Online HOF

« Reply #2455 on: July 13, 2020, 04:12:57 PM »
Racking up the 8.5s. I’ll take it for Nickel Creek, who are not a band I am necessarily passionate about but whose music I have some very fond memories attached to. Very much a part of my college experience. Saw them live back before they broke up (I think they may have reformed since), and they were fantastic. Helena was a real highlight for sure. They are a very talented group of musicians. I don’t love everything they’ve done, but each of their first three albums have some great moments for sure.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2456 on: July 13, 2020, 04:16:06 PM »
Sinking fast...  :biggrin:
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2457 on: July 13, 2020, 04:16:51 PM »
Racking up the 8.5s. I’ll take it for Nickel Creek, who are not a band I am necessarily passionate about but whose music I have some very fond memories attached to. Very much a part of my college experience. Saw them live back before they broke up (I think they may have reformed since), and they were fantastic. Helena was a real highlight for sure. They are a very talented group of musicians. I don’t love everything they’ve done, but each of their first three albums have some great moments for sure.

Hah, the girl I referenced in my write-up, we dated in college, that was when she would play them a lot. Must be a college age thing :) Shoot me a couple album suggestions (I fear you may already have in a PM, but I'll double check).

Podaar, no worries, your Bob James & Keiko Matsui submission alone makes up for Depeche Mode  :heart

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2458 on: July 13, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »
Well I wouldn't call The Fixx new wave you are right about the rock influences.   I loved that this band was very eclectic but popular for the time. Deeper and Deeper is my favorite tune as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: July 13, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
Well I wouldn't call The Fixx new wave you are right about the rock influences.   I loved that this band was very eclectic but popular for the time. Deeper and Deeper is my favorite tune as well.

I'm so confused on what does and does not qualify as new wave! The more I hear, the more surprised I am I haven't heard more of this stuff in my lifetime. My parents were all about the 80s.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: July 13, 2020, 04:20:35 PM »
I've been on an 80's kick for you.  I'm still working it. Why not!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2461 on: July 13, 2020, 04:21:53 PM »

I'm so confused on what does and does not qualify as new wave! The more I hear, the more surprised I am I haven't heard more of this stuff in my lifetime. My parents were all about the 80s.

Power Windows is New Wave.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: July 13, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »
Tim is Silly Wave.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: July 13, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
I thought you were joking at first but I can see how it actually is new wave.  :lol Maybe new wave is my calling, after I hit peak synthwave. Or jazzwave. Or whatever the f$^& these kids come up with next. Or I'll just be putting Nikki Yanofsky pinups on my wall. My word.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2464 on: July 13, 2020, 04:26:30 PM »
Oh that Nikki song "I Believe" gave me strong Donna Summers vibes re: The Power of One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bFtivIniwE

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: July 13, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »
Podaar, no worries, your Bob James & Keiko Matsui submission alone makes up for Depeche Mode  :heart

Yet still couldn't get me into the 9 range.

I just finished sampling the winning songs for this round, and yeah...I don't have anything even close to that in my musical vocabulary.  :lol
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2466 on: July 13, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »
I'm not even gonna try.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: July 13, 2020, 04:29:46 PM »
Hey - take pride that that's the only submission thus far I've actually looked up to try and purchase  :hat

I'm not even gonna try.

TAC sent Boyz II Men for round 7!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: July 13, 2020, 04:30:16 PM »
For me, new wave is more the ABC, Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins area.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: July 13, 2020, 04:31:11 PM »
Speaking of round 7, you did get my submission. Right?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2470 on: July 13, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »
Hey - take pride that that's the only submission thus far I've actually looked up to try and purchase  :hat

I'm not even gonna try.

TAC sent Boyz II Men for round 7!

Yeah, been on a big Bel Biv Devoe and New Edition kick too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: July 13, 2020, 04:34:01 PM »

Yes sir! Quite an interesting pick if I do say so myself... we'll see what the others think  :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: July 13, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »

BTW, here's a link to the MP3 download of the entire album.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K0PYBU?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0049-win70-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2473 on: July 13, 2020, 04:35:06 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2474 on: July 13, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
I just YouTubed a song from this Nikki whatshername..........why am I playing this roulette again?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: July 13, 2020, 04:37:57 PM »

Yes sir! Quite an interesting pick if I do say so myself... we'll see what the others think  :biggrin:

Well, you've got to admit, my submissions have been firmly avoiding rock & metal. No cheating here.  :biggrin:

I just YouTubed a song from this Nikki whatshername..........why am I playing this roulette again?  :lol

Yeah...  :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #2476 on: July 13, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »

Hah, the girl I referenced in my write-up, we dated in college, that was when she would play them a lot. Must be a college age thing :) Shoot me a couple album suggestions (I fear you may already have in a PM, but I'll double check).

I’d say the self-titled debut or Why Should the Fire Die are the two strongest. The debut is mostly pretty gentle new-grass but has some really nice instrumental tracks. It’s probably my favorite. Why Should the Fire Die has a bit more of an edge to it and is a little less blue-grassish.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2477 on: July 13, 2020, 04:44:28 PM »
"Really corny but really fun" pretty much sums up Celldweller as a whole. :lol Glad I picked The Lucky One, that one was closest to the chopping block.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2478 on: July 13, 2020, 05:01:50 PM »
Bjork was a risky submission. If you have a month to mull it over it could have won the round....

Anyway, I suppose I should find something to send for round 7
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2479 on: July 13, 2020, 05:11:18 PM »

Shall I call you a Whaaa-mbulance?  Jesus dude, you're still ahead of me.  This is the Bizarro Roulette.  Nikki scores a 9.4; Duran Duran a 7.6.

Just wait until you see my next submission!  Still deciding between one of two selections, but either one will blow your mind.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2480 on: July 13, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
I'm sure it'll blow alright.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: July 13, 2020, 05:31:52 PM »

Shall I call you a Whaaa-mbulance?  Jesus dude, you're still ahead of me.  This is the Bizarro Roulette.  Nikki scores a 9.4; Duran Duran a 7.6.

Just wait until you see my next submission!  Still deciding between one of two selections, but either one will blow your mind.

I wasn't meaning to come across as salty because I really don't give a fuck.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2482 on: July 13, 2020, 06:15:13 PM »

I YouTubed a live performance of Something New and I need a cigarette now. I am in love

I’d say the self-titled debut or Why Should the Fire Die are the two strongest. The debut is mostly pretty gentle new-grass but has some really nice instrumental tracks. It’s probably my favorite. Why Should the Fire Die has a bit more of an edge to it and is a little less blue-grassish.

Awesome! Made note of those  :biggrin:

"Really corny but really fun" pretty much sums up Celldweller as a whole. :lol Glad I picked The Lucky One, that one was closest to the chopping block.

Yeah man that's a banger. Something about it is really infectious.

Bjork was a risky submission. If you have a month to mull it over it could have won the round....

Anyway, I suppose I should find something to send for round 7

Puppies' Round 7 pick made me belly laugh. Brilliant.

Just hope your good luck hasn't run out  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: July 13, 2020, 06:18:07 PM »

I YouTubed a live performance of Something New and I need a cigarette now. I am in love

I needed some hard liquor.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2484 on: July 13, 2020, 06:19:37 PM »

I needed some hard liquor.  :lol

Man her looks are intoxicating enough for me   :lol