Author Topic: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- now exploring every roulette submission ever  (Read 138664 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 5 results!!
« Reply #2275 on: July 06, 2020, 07:22:00 AM »
Already got 10 submissions in, cool! Another round full of variety and everything from super obscure stuff to bigger names. Just what I like to see  :metal (edit: we really need a golfclap emoji for this roulette... like )
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2276 on: July 06, 2020, 08:39:04 AM »
Sent... hope it's not rejected. :crossfingers:
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2277 on: July 06, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »
Sent, time to continue my downward spiral
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2278 on: July 06, 2020, 09:03:37 AM »
In, with the round winner!  :)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2279 on: July 06, 2020, 09:04:43 AM »
Are we still getting crankpressions?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2280 on: July 06, 2020, 09:05:46 AM »
Are we still getting crankpressions?

My gut response is that Tim gave up Crankpressions when he became a participant, but.... maybe...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2281 on: July 06, 2020, 09:41:04 AM »
Crank in the 4th Wall Crankpressions.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2282 on: July 06, 2020, 10:12:40 AM »
I picked my round 8 submission on the premise that Tim will hate it, I hope he's still checking them out :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: July 06, 2020, 10:30:58 AM »
I picked my round 8 submission on the premise that Tim will hate it, I hope he's still checking them out :lol

I mean, since we all can't figure out Katt's tastes Tim's first songs he sent were last so It Tim hates it, Katt will love it. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2284 on: July 06, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »

I mean, since we all can't figure out Katt's tastes Tim's first songs he sent were last so It Tim hates it, Katt will love it. :lol

Rich seems to have zoned in.  Then again, so had Dave... and he dropped like a stone.  One bad round is all it takes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2285 on: July 06, 2020, 11:32:06 AM »
I've had 2 bad rounds.  LOL

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2286 on: July 06, 2020, 11:49:28 AM »
I've had 2 bad rounds.  LOL

I'VE HAD THREE!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2287 on: July 06, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »
Podaar: Derek Trucks [8.2]
1. Midnight in Harlem
2. Shrimp and Grits (interlude)
3. Rastaman Chant (live)

This was surprisingly fun. Midnight in Harlem is a great track, it takes a simple memorable beat and leans into it for the whole song, and the melodies and lyrics are really nice. Shrimp and Grits is a fun sweet interlude that fits in perfectly. The live track is really nice. Love the flute! Now I think this one goes on for a long time... sometimes I wonder why it's so long. But, it's fun to listen to them jam, it just feels like a few different jams stitched together. But I'm sold, I think they're solid and there's some fascinating musical dialogue happening in that live number especially between the flute and guitar about halfway. Cool stuff!

I wanted to get back to this. While I was able to read it this weekend, I didn't have a chance to respond until today. I'm glad you found it fun! I was hoping for a much higher score because, for me, this is the best of the best.

What I found interesting about your write-up; not a word spared for Susan Tudeschi's marvelous voice and her effortless soulful phrasing. Even more surprising is no mention of Derek's unique slide guitar virtuosity! I can't think of anyone I've ever known who had even a tiny bit of appreciation for guitar skills that wasn't completely blown away by the tone, phrasing and tastefulness of Derek's playing. It's like blending Dwayne Allman, David Gilmour, and Ravi Shankar into one person and having him interpret Parliament tunes.  :lol

You mentioned the length of Rastaman Chant...yeah, I get it. It was risky sending a live song because The Derek Truck Band is largely a jam band. A lot of those longer live moments are improvisation pieces where Derek will nod to the sax, keyboard, horns, or in this case, flute and have them take the lead for awhile.

If you get the chance, or the inclination, I highly recommend checking out the rest of their album Roadsongs. You might really get a kick out of the flute/guitar interplay in Afro Blue!
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2288 on: July 06, 2020, 01:57:36 PM »
Sent for round 6!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2289 on: July 06, 2020, 02:11:05 PM »
I managed to listen to 13 submissions today so far. Wow! Lots of variety. I don't think I'll have as much trouble scoring this round as the last, fortunately, but even I'm not quite sure what that means yet...  :corn

I'm taking the rest of the day off from roulette listening to start a long-dreaded project: organizing my digital music library. I basically shove everything and anything I like into a 'favorites' playlist. Well, that playlist alone is about to break 4500 songs, and hitting shuffle runs me through every genre and style on the planet, it seems. So now I'm going through the songs one by one, putting them into a multitude of playlists for genres and styles and moods and situations I find myself in... tedious, but fun.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2290 on: July 06, 2020, 02:16:05 PM »
Podaar: Derek Trucks [8.2]
1. Midnight in Harlem
2. Shrimp and Grits (interlude)
3. Rastaman Chant (live)

This was surprisingly fun. Midnight in Harlem is a great track, it takes a simple memorable beat and leans into it for the whole song, and the melodies and lyrics are really nice. Shrimp and Grits is a fun sweet interlude that fits in perfectly. The live track is really nice. Love the flute! Now I think this one goes on for a long time... sometimes I wonder why it's so long. But, it's fun to listen to them jam, it just feels like a few different jams stitched together. But I'm sold, I think they're solid and there's some fascinating musical dialogue happening in that live number especially between the flute and guitar about halfway. Cool stuff!

I wanted to get back to this. While I was able to read it this weekend, I didn't have a chance to respond until today. I'm glad you found it fun! I was hoping for a much higher score because, for me, this is the best of the best.

What I found interesting about your write-up; not a word spared for Susan Tudeschi's marvelous voice and her effortless soulful phrasing. Even more surprising is no mention of Derek's unique slide guitar virtuosity! I can't think of anyone I've ever known who had even a tiny bit of appreciation for guitar skills that wasn't completely blown away by the tone, phrasing and tastefulness of Derek's playing. It's like blending Dwayne Allman, David Gilmour, and Ravi Shankar into one person and having him interpret Parliament tunes.  :lol

You mentioned the length of Rastaman Chant...yeah, I get it. It was risky sending a live song because The Derek Truck Band is largely a jam band. A lot of those longer live moments are improvisation pieces where Derek will nod to the sax, keyboard, horns, or in this case, flute and have them take the lead for awhile.

If you get the chance, or the inclination, I highly recommend checking out the rest of their album Roadsongs. You might really get a kick out of the flute/guitar interplay in Afro Blue!

I did enjoy the singing quite a bit, although I didn't necessarily find her voice noteworthy. Very pleasant and complementary to the music, however, which can heighten the rest of the band just like any other good singer. The slide guitar mention is interesting; you are right that it's impressive, but at the same time, it did not once stand out to me as anything special. Then again, I'm a pianist, and my knowledge of guitar playing and 'how the sausage is made' with respect to how people even play that instrument is somewhat limited, so I have no idea if any slide stuff is actually difficult to do.

I was initially going to score it higher; over time though it got pushed down by repeat listens and the competition. I will say there were several types of 'jamming' in this round: the jazz submissions, Indi's Al Di Meola & Friends, and yours. I think yours might be one I'll regret ranking that low in the future as I slowly dig through all these artists, because I hear loads of potential based on what you sent me, and Midnight in Harlem is a real delight.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 5 results (send for round 6!)
« Reply #2291 on: July 06, 2020, 03:05:46 PM »
Sent a trick-shot.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2292 on: July 06, 2020, 04:26:49 PM »
So did I.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: July 06, 2020, 04:51:24 PM »
Wow, some VERY cool submissions this round.

One of them is from TAC. Fucking TAC beat you guys to an artist I expected one of you to send by now. I don't know whether to laugh or cry  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2294 on: July 06, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »
BTW I think I said I would post Cyril's submissions if someone wants to send them later. There was gonna be more Jason Isbell for round 6, some Sufjan Stevens stuff for round 7, and Porter Robinson for round 8.

EDIT: Okay nevermind Jason Isbell is banned 'cause Hath sent them earlier and nobody else reserved them. Sufjan Stevens is still open as long as it isn't from Carrie & Lowell or Illinoise. Porter Robinson I've never heard of. If those names ring some bells and you're curious about 'em, there ya go.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2295 on: July 06, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »

One of them is from TAC. Fucking TAC beat you guys to an artist I expected one of you to send by now. I don't know whether to laugh or cry  :lol

All you bitches should cry. ;D ;D ;D

Turning last round's standings upside down!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2296 on: July 06, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »
Knew I shouldn't have said that, now you're gonna get cocky.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2297 on: July 06, 2020, 05:35:04 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2298 on: July 06, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »
Yeah but it sounded so white. Lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2299 on: July 06, 2020, 08:21:29 PM »

Kip Winger has already been sent though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2300 on: July 07, 2020, 02:46:01 AM »
I think I definitely sent a cool submission!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2301 on: July 07, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »
 :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2302 on: July 07, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »
Just need 2 subs. Already ran through most of these yesterday though so a bit late for "first" impressions but I might have something up later for what I currently think of them, if I get the last ones in ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2303 on: July 07, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »
The Walrus winks only on weekdays.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2304 on: July 07, 2020, 03:08:17 PM »
I sended some hourz ago

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2305 on: July 07, 2020, 03:16:45 PM »
T

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2306 on: July 07, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »
A
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2307 on: July 07, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
Changing up the hangman a bit by showing you the sender and artist

Train of Naught: Massive Attack
1. _________ ___ ____
2. _________ ____
3. _____ ___

HOF: Nickel Creek
1. ___ __________'_ ____
2. ___ __ ___ _____
3. ____ ____
4. _____ ___ ____ _____
5. ______

Evermind: Delerium
1. ______ _____ (__. _______ _______)
2. _______ (__. _____ _________)
3. ________ (_______) (__. ______ ____)

TAC: Tangerine Dream
1. _______ ____
2. ___ _______ ______ __ ___ _____
3. ___________

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Heilung
1. ________
2. ______

Indiscipline: Rondò Veneziano
1. _______ _________
2. __ ___________
3. ______ _______
4. _________ _________
5. _____ _________

kingshmegland: The Fixx
1. ______ ___ ______
2. ___ _____
3. ___ __ _________
4. ___ _____ _____ __ _______
5. ___ ____ __ ______

Bolsters: Purity Ring
1. _____ _____
2. _________
3. __________
4. ____ _________
5. ___ ______

Puppies_On_Acid: Björk
1. ____ __ __
2. ____
3. _____ ______
4. ______

wolfking: John Farnham
1. _____ ___ ___
2. ___ __ ______
3. _______ __ ____ _____

jingle.boy: Nikki Yanofsky
1. _________ ___
2. ______ ______
3. ______ ___
4. ____ ___ _ _____
5. _ _______

Podaar: Depeche Mode
1. _ ____ ____ _'_ ____ __
2. __ ______
3. __ ______ ________
4. ____

Buddyhunter1: Celldweller
1. __ _____ __ __________ ___ __ ___
2. __________
3. ___ _____ ___
4. ________ (__ _________)

Stadler: Harry Styles
1. ______
2. __________ _____
3. ____ _____ ___ ____
4. ____ __ ___ _____
5. ______

ariich: Blue Food
1. _________
2. ______ __ ___ _____
3. _____ ____

Elite: John Coltrane
1. _ ____ _______, __. _ - _______________
2. _______ (____ __ ________ ________)
3. _____ _____

Big Hath: Jaco Pastorius
1. _______ ______ - ________
2. ________ __ _____
3. _______ ______ - ____ ____
4. __ __ _____ - _____ ______ ____

Sacul: TR/ST
1. ____
2. _____
3. ____ _____ _____
4. ________

romdrums: John Coltrane
1. _________
2. ___ _____ ___ _ ________ ____
3. _____
4. _ ____ _______, __. _ - _______________

I see two of you have already guessed letters. Do not yell at me, I will update them after I get home  :lol

Offline romdrums

Re: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- Round 6 hangman
« Reply #2308 on: July 07, 2020, 03:50:53 PM »
One of the Blue Food tracks is Joker Face, which is an absolute banger. :metal :hat
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2309 on: July 07, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »

Indiscipline: Rondò Veneziano
1. _______ _________
2. __ ___________
3. ______ _______
4. _________ _________
5. ____ò _________

1. Da Plane Da Plane
2. How's The Weather Up There
3. Where's the Hookers
4. Give Her The Gun (UFO Cover)
5. Where's ma ho? (Where's The Hookers reprise)