Author Topic: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Post-Roulette)  (Read 38546 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Cyril's Lead-Filled Roulette! (Post-Roulette)
« Reply #560 on: August 23, 2020, 01:00:31 PM »
Glad you enjoyed that. It's a good album, but arguably not really all that metal indeed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #561 on: August 23, 2020, 08:14:17 PM »

well on the whole this leans more towards metalcore (and like, cringy edgelord metalcore) more than post-hardcore but the post-hardcore tracks at least are nice? I dunno I didn't finish this especially with how unnecessarily long it is for the genre I just didn't have the patience to sit through more brocore just for the decent but unexceptional melodic stuff

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #562 on: August 23, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »
Hey you should check out that song I sent for round 2 before I got eliminated. Or actually check out the album. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #563 on: August 23, 2020, 09:20:20 PM »
stuff that was sent in the roulette gets priority over stuff that was not sent in the roulette, hence why i haven't checked out that, or the other stuff elite and stadler sent in the final round

i also need to do buddy's post-roulette EP from like a billion years ago but the king gizzard on it has made me keep putting it off

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #564 on: August 23, 2020, 11:07:35 PM »

this album comes in three parts: 1. standard and kind of unimpressive tech death 2. three instrumental tracks in the middle that are all pretty cool 3. see 1 but the last track is at least kind of solid. seems like i'm just not for tech death if it's not at least ambitious like persefone, warforged, and mithras are at their best. ohwell

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #565 on: August 24, 2020, 01:05:21 AM »

the music on this is consistently solid (albeit a bit monotonous and could use a bit more edge) but those vocals are just so dang underweight. i get the shoegaze-y vibe they're going for but man if the plot in you is pushing too far in a -core direction this is not pushing far enough imo. i did try to listen to this one last year and felt mostly the same about it iirc. there were occasional neat moments but not enough to make me want to revisit it

uh anyways i think that's all the albums i wanted to check out from the submissions in the roulette i'll look at the rest of the stuff i was sent tomorrow probably

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #566 on: August 24, 2020, 02:46:11 AM »
I feel like the Brutus album achieves what they try to achieve; the same sound throughout, brought to the listener by creative song-writing. Considering they're a trio and the singer is also the drummer, what they do is quite impressive. The album doesn't hold a lot of replay value for me either, to be honest, but I find Sugar Dragon in particular to be a very compelling and unique song.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #567 on: August 24, 2020, 04:57:23 AM »
Yeah I wondered if you might find The Plot In You a bit metalcore-y for your tastes - I think that's a great album but I understand why you'd not be so keen on it other than some of the less metalcore tracks.

As I was mostly sending you new discoveries from my own roulette, I haven't actually heard a whole album by Mutoid Man or Wretched yet so you're ahead of me on those. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #568 on: August 24, 2020, 10:28:31 AM »
i also need to do buddy's post-roulette EP from like a billion years ago but the king gizzard on it has made me keep putting it off

If you were able to sit through 35 minutes of their thrash metal album you can sit through 10 minutes of their prog rock album. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #569 on: August 24, 2020, 11:06:56 AM »
Stadlite Roundup

I'm just gonna keep updating this for brief first impressions on the songs Stadler and Elite sent because Why Not

Soundgarden - Searching With My Good Eye Closed
the intro was a bit silly and i didn't dig it but the rest of this is... pretty solid. decent core riff, vocals are not exactly my style but he puts enough emotion into them that it's fine, there's some good lead guitar work, i do think it goes on a bit long for the amount of substance it feels like it has and i'm not especially inclined to return to it & i've heard better soundgarden songs before too (this might be among the least interesting i've heard from them tbh) but it's alright

In the Woods... - Empty Streets

familiar with this band too, have Pure from them and I know I definitely listened to this one at some point... the first, more doom metal half of this is okay but it's the kind of thing from them that never did a ton for me in the first place, the back half is a lot more solid, good guitar tone and intensity here even if it doesn't especially stand out. also good moments of lead guitar from time to time which is one thing i know them for. i don't think this is gonna convince me to check them out further but i'd say i do like it more than the song you actually sent me lol

Heretoir - To Follow the Sun

and a band that was sent to me before in my album roulette that ended up losing the roulette, nice. i'm sitting here listening to this and thinking... wow, this sure is 100% texture 0% melody. 0% intensity too it's way too slow-paced to work for me as black metal. and the texture isn't even that great, save for some moments in the more ambient/percussion-less bits where it becomes more like a drone song than anything. but uhh yeah... it's not doing much for me overall & the things it does well i can get from many other bands

Hanging Garden - Borrowed Eyes

Yeah this definitely seems to align more with a post/sludge metal sound and I guess by that metric it sure is one. I uhh. Don't really have a ton to say about this because this kind of non-atmospheric post-metal I find just never does much for me even if it's not, bad, either? I sort of zoned out in the middle despite it being like 4 minutes long

October Tide - Of Wounds to Come

Another entry in the "doomy black metal" genre and it's... perfectly fine! Not as dynamic as the In the Woods song and I don't think it held my interest for its entire runtime but I didn't mind it at all either. I dunno, can't think of much else to say on this one.

Trepalium - Moonshine Limbo

Wait so you're telling me all this time you had something this fun and striking tucked away in your back pocket and just didn't send it? Why?  :lol This is the kind of unique and enjoyable stuff I wanna hear, even if maybe an entire album of it might get tedious? Possibly? Who knows but like, as just a song, this is like Diablo Swing Orchestra's evil twin and I'm totally on board with that.

Victoria - Kepler

Well this is, from what I can tell, Animals as Leaders related and yeah it kinda shows. There isn't a djent lean to this, at least in terms of actual tone, but it's got that math metal/light jazzy feel to it all the same. I do think it also falls into the same trap of "showy technicality in favor of cohesive songwriting" but it's at least somewhat interesting the whole way through? I definitely feel like an entire album of this would get on my nerves though. Where are the melodies, the hooks, the emotions? More enjoyable than a lot of the doomy/sludgy stuff here though regardless.

in a perfect world where both participants sent the best song they had to offer, I think it'd be Fire Dance vs. Moonshine Limbo which would have much more easily gone to the latter anyways. I'm probably gonna check out that Trepalium al- oh it's an EP, but they have a 2020 al- THE ALBUM IS SHORTER THAN THE EP WHAT uhh. okay. I'll figure out something to check out from them. The rest none of them are really doing enough for me to want to bother.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 06:37:27 PM by Cyril »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #570 on: August 24, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »
oh btw skipping the Lantlos song and the second Heretoir song on the playlist as I know both albums already so there's only actually like 5 songs to go but w/e

edit: and the Les Discrets song too, this is explicitly on my "songs sent in previous roulettes" list  :lol
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 06:13:05 PM by Cyril »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #571 on: August 25, 2020, 08:22:10 PM »
I feel like the Brutus album achieves what they try to achieve; the same sound throughout, brought to the listener by creative song-writing. Considering they're a trio and the singer is also the drummer, what they do is quite impressive. The album doesn't hold a lot of replay value for me either, to be honest, but I find Sugar Dragon in particular to be a very compelling and unique song.

Funny, I think I probably like this even more than you do. :lol  It's a really unique sound and I've been listening to the whole album a lot lately.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #572 on: August 26, 2020, 08:36:05 PM »
buddy's EP thing from like twenty years ago

i sort of get where you're going with the arc of this but weirdly i have mixed opinions on pretty much every song here, at least on first listen (and i don't think i'll revisit either, so)

cornflake has some nice grooves but it's a style i can really only get behind in moderation (which thankfully there kind of is), the king gizzard song is too long even though it has some cool ideas but it got really repetitive for me, the phideaux song has its moments but the neo prog-isms are kind of a turn off, dislocated felt like the base to a better song that was missing something (vocals? leads? i dunno it felt like background music for the most part) and the last song had some nice build to it but felt like it ended really anticlimactically and didn't have much to offer besides being kinda pretty. there's also very distinctly two halves here where the first two tracks are "grooves" and the rest are "feels" and i guess that's fine and the phideaux song is maybe a middle ground in between the two really but anyways. i dunno, this is all pretty fine stuff organized in a pretty satisfying way that i just don't have a ton of interest in, that's really all there is to it

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #573 on: August 26, 2020, 09:07:45 PM »
Tchornobog - Self- Titled

man i usually trust your tastes but you should know this is the kind of dissonant death metal stuff that just does nothing for me. like okay i guess there's -some- black metal here too but it's more death than not and the texture sounds like crap and the riffs and all just aren't doing anything for me. i stubbornly sat through half of it waiting for it to get good and it just never did.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #574 on: August 26, 2020, 09:50:16 PM »
Hmm, bummer.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar