Author Topic: The Walrus's Lead-Free Roulette -- now exploring every roulette submission ever  (Read 138684 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
In this roulette, metal and progressive music are forbidden. There’s enough of that sent in every roulette here. If it can be labeled as ‘prog’ music or with ‘metal’ (of any subgenre), do not send it. The purpose of this roulette is for me to continue broadening my musical horizons by listening to genres I either don’t listen to enough of or genres I wish to learn more about.

“So Katt, what are you looking for?” Literally anything else. Country western, jazz, ska, classical, EDM, disco, film scores, tunes from your favorite video game composer, rap, pop, new age, tribal music from central Africa, Chinese folk music using eastern tonality systems, Gregorian chants, anything but prog and metal. Let’s get weird with it. I don’t expect everyone to go that crazy, but I’m trying to indicate how badly I want you to not send metal and prog, if that isn’t already clear. :)

“But Katt! What about rock music?” So… I don’t want to be a tight-ass about rock, but I want to discourage sending it. If you must send something rock-oriented, at least make it adventurous, for my sake and the sake of your score. Blues and rock go hand in hand, but I’d prefer it lean heavily into the blues elements. Folk rock, I don’t really know what it is but I know it when I hear it… I’m not really looking for that, but again, if you must, make it adventurous. If it’s funky, it better be funky. Post-rock, of course, is welcome because, well, I love post-rock, I’ve heard a lot of it, but there’s a lot of different kinds of post-rock. What I will put a hard ban on is anything that can be called ‘classic rock’ or ‘hard rock.’ I’m really not looking for rock music in this roulette but I probably won’t turn it down either as long as it isn’t basic bitch rock n’ roll, if you’re desperate.

Rules
- 8 rounds, no EP or concept album rounds
- Send me 10-20 minutes of music by an artist. I’ll allow you to go over 20 by however many seconds you need to, but 21 is the hard cut-off
- This musical establishment has a 2-song minimum
- Spotify is the easiest way for me to listen to music these days, but I’ll accept YouTube or MP3s etc.
- Scoring will be from 1.0 to 10.0. I will be very fair but honest and give every submission its time in the spotlight. No twists, no gimmicks, just plain honest scoring. It’s easy for me. I’m not busting out calculators for scoring these.
- impressions/comparisons every round throughout the week
- NO ELIMINATIONS
- NO ONE GENRE HAS AN INHERENT ADVANTAGE OVER ANOTHER!! See the quote at the start of the thread. It's very possible I may love and hate two artists in the exact same genre or style. Trying to predict what I might like has been comically disastrous for my friends. I have a proven track record of this.

If someone sends an artist you want to send in later rounds, inform me BEFORE the results are posted, and I'll let you use them, I will write down who reserves what. But you have to use different songs. If an artist is sent twice in the same round - like Kip Winger - they can't be reserved.

Pictured: Katt, left, and Tim “Head Judge of Peanut Gallery” TAC, circa May 2020

1. Evermind
2. HOF
3. kingshmegland
4. Shadow Ninja 2.0
5. ariich
6. Puppies_On_Acid
7. Indiscipline
8. Elite
9. Sacul
10. Podaar
11. Stadler
12. Bolsters
13. Big Hath
14. Buddyhunter1
15. wolfking
16. Train of Naught
17. romdrums
18. jingle.boy
19. TAC

I will take as many players as will sign up! Sign-ups will run through the weekend.

”Dude, what do you even like? Can I have some hints?” My pleasure! While there are a bunch of various songs and artists I’m familiar with in these genres, I’ll only list the artists I’m super familiar with and won’t accept anything from in the roulette. Consider this a banlist of sorts. For anything else, by all means, ask away. But the point of this is to send unfamiliar music, so hopefully this won’t be much of an issue.

Rap – Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Tech N9ne – but I’m clueless on most of the legends in this genre

Pop – Adele, N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, Katy Perry, Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, and any and all popular hits of the 1990s which were my bread and butter growing up before I actually got into music as a ‘real’ hobby (all of which I still love today, looking at you, K-Ci & JoJo)

Country/Western – not much, really. But what I’ve heard and loved so far are Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams, Jr., Kenny Rogers, and Kris Kristofferson (all banned). I don’t like Chevy ad country, I like the old stuff, but I don’t know a damn thing about Johnny Cash

Jazz/Swing/Big Band – I know a bunch of famous pieces by a lot of the old legends, one or two to each name, but I’ve never heard a full record so this is a wide ocean for me to fish in. My favorite style of jazz is smooth jazz, specifically the groups Incognito and The Rippingtons. Weather Channel type music, ya dig?

Jazz… fusion? – I don’t even know what that really means, but I LOVE Casiopea and T-Square, so like… yeah

Game music - Koji Kondo, Yasunori Mitsuda, Motoi Sakuraba, Nobuo Uematsu are my favorite game composers, special shoutout to Junichi Masuda for his work on the early Pokemon games

Synthwave - WOLFCLUB, Magic Dance, Magic Sword, Michael Oakley, Gunship

Favorite film composers - Howard Shore, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, Randy Newman

Other assorted music I love - DJ Tiësto, Enya, Yanni, David Arkenstone, Yoko Kanno & The Seatbelts, Norah Jones, Celtic music, any and all Japanese folk music utilizing the shamisen/koto/shakuhachi/taiko etc., tribal drum music, Gregorian chants, Philip Glass, musical numbers from animated Disney films, Frank Sinatra

- Soundtracks by various artists are available to send, but your selections must be from the same soundtrack.
- Musicals are perfectly acceptable, but the following are all banned: Grease, A Chorus Line, Wicked, Jersey Boys, Little Shop of Horrors, Bye Bye Birdie, Les Miserables, any and all Disney films
- Click here for a few words on video game soundtracks

Indiscipline asked an excellent question regarding classical music:

Is classical music a genre you're interested in being sent or is it too foppish a choice?

Classical music is very much welcome and encouraged; while I know a lot of classical music, there are pieces even by the most famous composers throughout the centuries that I am unfamiliar with, but also pieces by more obscure composers that I know. I would strongly discourage sending from the most popular composers and especially ones that I'm highly familiar with like Chopin and Beethoven, for example - especially the piano works. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like especially concerning classical music and what I like as that encompasses a gargantuan amount of music and styles.

And please, if you have a question, ASK! There will be a lot of shooting in the dark here, so I want to give you guidance where I can. I look forward to your eclectic mixtapes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:17:57 PM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Lead-Free Roulette (sign up today!)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
I'm in! I'll send tomorrow though, it's 1 AM here.

Not looking to win here or anything, I'll just send non-rock/metal stuff for shits and giggles.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »
Yeah, if anything, winning should be the last thing on people's minds for this roulette. The scores are just a formality. This is all about fun and exploration  :tup
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »
I’ll play for this one. Love the no-metal or prog format. Should be interesting.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 03:58:38 PM »
It's on like Donkey Kong.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »
(sign me up) SIGN ME UP INSIDE

i put together an easy round 1 playlist and the four songs i picked total up to 21 minutes 1 second DAMMIT  :lol
well okay it's not that hard to replace the weakest one with a shorter one

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 04:02:21 PM »
I have some weird shit locked and loaded and will sign up.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 04:03:10 PM »
I already told you I'm in! :P

Also I like how the structure and details of this roulette are identical to mine (except the theme of course, and the fact that I added an EP round) :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »
Oh hey, Yanni is banned, there goes one of the artists I planned to send :) Well anyway I've got plenty of stuff for this one I think
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 04:08:21 PM »
I'm definitely in and I definitely have more than enough material to send 10-20 minutes every round. Hell, do 30-40 minutes every round. And make it 25 rounds, I got you  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 04:15:20 PM »
Oh, boy. Just perusing the banned list. I have no idea where to start. There is so much that I could send you.... Lots of classic hip hop, trance, synthwave, synthpop, jazz.... Oh boy.

tl;dr - let's extend this to about 30 rounds.  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 04:23:19 PM »
okay i already made 8 playlists so i need to 1. whittle down the list 2. get one of them banned so i don't have to choose which one to axe

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 04:26:29 PM »
Damn! I've been eliminated in Prelim rounds before, but I've never actually been eliminated in the OP. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 04:32:00 PM »
In and sent.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 04:35:21 PM »
You ok with live songs Mike?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »
As Head Judge Of The Peanut Gallery, I'll also be posting First Impressions. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 04:38:53 PM »
You ok with live songs Mike?

Screw it, I'll take a good live performance.

Everyone is in and will be on the list soon. Stadler is in, too.

Tim, I am greatly looking forward to a lot of "WTF is this shit?" commentary. $1 in the jar for every WTF posted.

Also please forgive me, that should read 8 rounds. Fixed.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 04:40:21 PM »
I already told you I'm in! :P

Also I like how the structure and details of this roulette are identical to mine (except the theme of course, and the fact that I added an EP round) :lol

You can only blame yourself for having such exquisite roulette rules :neverusethis:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 04:40:48 PM »
I have a feeling Tim will hate most - maybe all - of what I send. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 04:40:51 PM »
You need at least two Riches in this one, so let me in, please :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 04:42:18 PM »
I am genuinely surprised at the enthusiasm from so many people already. Awesome!!

Happy to have a wealth of Riches in this roulette again. I'll update the roster later after I finish my domestic errands.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »

Well, it's talented, if a bit uninspiring.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 04:45:40 PM »

I have a feeling I'm going to hate most- maybe all- of what everyone sends. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
Yeaaaah, let's go. Avant-garde bullshit and silly jazz. I'm so in, damn! Read the rules and now I'm going to sleep. Bye!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 04:46:50 PM »

Well, it's talented, if a bit uninspiring.
:lol Touche.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 04:50:40 PM »
Fuck yeah finally my kind of roulette :2metal: In!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 04:52:13 PM »
Basically all the stuff I would send you for this I've already sent in your last two roulettes, so I'll be sitting this one out. Good luck to everyone though!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 04:53:04 PM »
Hell yes. I know Big Hath is interested as well, so there's a place reserved for him too. Dis gun b gud.

Edit: aw, Buddy, I was specifically thinking of you with the game music!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 04:53:18 PM »
Basically all the stuff I would send you for this I've already sent in your last two roulettes, so I'll be sitting this one out. Good luck to everyone though!

Just look up random videos of world music and send those :neverusethis:
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
Extra challenge: only send artists with the name 'Michael'.
Squ

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 04:55:22 PM »

And only by players named Rich

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »

Just look up random videos of world music and send those :neverusethis:

Ah yes, the Lucien strategy.

...wonder what that guy's up to these days.

aw, Buddy, I was specifically thinking of you with the game music!

I mean, I suppose I could participate if I sent nothing but game music the entire roulette. :lol I'd need a list of OSTs you're familiar with though, outside of the composers you've mentioned.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2020, 05:10:01 PM »
Sending an entire genre for the whole roulette is a valid strategy especially considering how video game OSTs can literally encompass all styles of music. Some of my favorite music ever made is game music. I could throw up a list soon.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2020, 05:12:06 PM »

And only by players named Rich
I would but my best option would be Michel Camilo and I sent him in one of Katt's previous roulettes.

EDIT: Also sent - going all out for round 1!

I be am boner inducing.