Poll

Is there a correlation to intelligence and listening to certain kind of music?

Yes
7 (21.9%)
No
18 (56.3%)
Unsure
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Is there a correlation to intelligence and listening to certain kind of music?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline emtee

I can't contribute in any positive way.

I do wonder, however, if Einstein would have liked King Missile.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
True, but I also assume that if you're genuinely interested in starting a discussion that you would actively engage in it as well. Why start the discussion if you're not interested in contributing at all?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
True, but I also assume that if you're genuinely interested in starting a discussion that you would actively engage in it as well. Why start the discussion if you're not interested in contributing at all?

Maybe simply to see what others think, and then if a discussion breaks out among other forum members, sometimes just reading their discussion can be entertaining and worthwhile.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
No
I'm not sure why there has been a single post in this thread past this point. I already gave a clear and succinct yet undisputed argument.

Also lol @ the IQ argument, IQ tests were invented as a form of eugenics. They don't mean crap.

Offline WildRanger

Because the opinions of repliers matter more than mine.

Offline WildRanger

Given how he cherry picks which questions to respond to, the nature of his incessant polling with nebulous questions, ignorance of well thought out replies, and insistence that there is some objective, intellectual superiority to enjoying music, I can only surmise he is either greatly on the spectrum, which is fine and would explain a lot of this, or he is a fantastic troll. I struggle to accept that someone so adamant in the belief of intellectual superiority and its relationship to the commercial success of artists would be so shallow in his responses and analysis of other comments, never mind his lack of participation in the countless pointless threads he creates, and his flagrant display of his complete lack of knowledge on the history of things he boasts about, like how classical music wasn't made for dancing or entertainment.

He will not respond to this just like he wouldn't respond when I asked him 3 times what he thought of my musical taste when I told him I listen to both classical and pop music or any number of other simple questions he's been asked.

Whether he looks for this response or not doesn't really matter to me, because I think at this point it's a fruitless endeavor to try to squeeze more BS out of him.

Troll.

I really doubt that you know the true meaning of the term "troll".

Offline 425

Thanks for adding the "unsure" option. I think it's the only way to go without having any scientific research on it. Although I'm very much on the side of "how would we even measure it, and why would it matter?"

WildRanger, do you think you could explain why you are so interested in this particular question?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline WildRanger

Thanks for adding the "unsure" option. I think it's the only way to go without having any scientific research on it. Although I'm very much on the side of "how would we even measure it, and why would it matter?"

WildRanger, do you think you could explain why you are so interested in this particular question?

I just think it's an interesting discussion.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Could you reply to my questions? If not, then I’m done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Why start the discussion if you're not interested in contributing at all?
Because the opinions of repliers matter more than mine.

Thanks! That's a valid answer I suppose, though you're obviously allowed to have an opinion yourself and you're allowed to share your ideas as well! I can definitely understand that it's interesting to view other people's opinions on certain topics.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline jammindude

My opinions on this subject usually get raked over the coals because it's extremely nuanced and yet somehow controversial at the same time.   It's starts to delve into "is good music objective or subjective" territory, and I always have to wear a flame suit for that conversation.   :lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Let's do it! :flame:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i will literally delete your existence in real life if you try to start that again

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
On a scale from 'trucker who listens to country music and married his cousin' to 'progressive rock connoisseur who works at wall street and drinks fine wine' where do you fall?

Online MirrorMask

On a scale from 'trucker who listens to country music and married his cousin' to 'progressive rock connoisseur who works at wall street and drinks fine wine' where do you fall?

:rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online pg1067

In the absence of a statistically valid survey that correlates intelligence quotient (or however else one my quantify intelligence) and styles of music, this is an absurd inquiry.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Lupton

Don't know about intelligence. But regarding taste...in my youth I used to think I had superior musical taste. Now I realize I was an arrogant, deluded fool for thinking that way.

Everybody should listen to whatever music which fulfills the need for which they are listening to music.   ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
The beast with a million backs threads
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Don't know about intelligence. But regarding taste...in my youth I used to think I had superior musical taste. Now I realize I was an arrogant, deluded fool for thinking that way.

Everybody should listen to whatever music which fulfills the need for which they are listening to music.   ;)

Weren't we all like that? :lol

I touted U2 to my friends, they wanted nothing to do with them.  Then War comes out and they were all talking about it. I slowly pulled away from U2 to be different.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Lupton

Weren't we all like that? :lol

I touted U2 to my friends, they wanted nothing to do with them.  Then War comes out and they were all talking about it. I slowly pulled away from U2 to be different.  :lol

Dang. Wasn't that like their 1st album?  :D

Funny you should mention that, because it seems it always works that way with 'indie' music. It's only cool when you're the only person listening. Then they're "your" band. I remember when Modest Mouse became popular. All the people that used to sing their praises suddenly turned on them!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
this is why i listen exclusively to obscure metal bands that nobody else could possible like
east of the wall are my band and it'll forever stay that way 'cause everyone else hates them  :loser:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Same thing happened with Living Colour.  I tried playing them Vivid.  Nobody cared.  Then a few months later a few of the guys told me, "Did you see that "Cult Of Personality" video?  It rocks!

I was like, "You assholes!  I was trying to play that album for you guys a few months ago!"  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
this is why i listen exclusively to obscure metal bands that nobody else could possible like
east of the wall are my band and it'll forever stay that way 'cause everyone else hates them  :loser:

:lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Thank you to those being reasonable and level-headed in their posts in this thread, there's really no need to be nasty about it.

However, I do agree with the sentiment that this is a weird topic for a forum discussion. The question is a scientific one in nature, so the opinion of random people on a forum isn't relevant.

There has actually been various bits of research into the correlation between music tastes/habits and either measures of intelligence or personality types. Google seems like a more sensible source for such a question, surely: https://www.google.com/search?q=intelligence+and+music+taste

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I always use DTF instead of Google. :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
we know.

Online Lupton

Yeah Google takes all the fun out of interacting with real people. It's more fun to get it wrong in real time so people can set me straight.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just want to say I don't think anything I've said has been explicitly "nasty" per se and I may very well be wrong that he is not a troll. Clearly I am the one man flying that flag but I've said my piece and won't derail again. You can find me in the local tavern sharpening my pitchfork and being an all around grumpy SOB. :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I always use DTF instead of that Google thing. :P

This sounds more like you.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Anyone who thinks they're smarter for listening to a certain type of music is a pretentious ass.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Anyone who thinks they're smarter for listening to a certain type of music is a pretentious ass.

That's exactly what someone dumber than me would say!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

That's exactly what someone dumber than me would say!

Online Architeuthis

I used to think more intelligent brains could digest complex music a lot easier but now I know I'm wrong.  I'm just an average person when it comes to intellect, but I love complex adventurous music. I think it might come down to the personality type. Some people aren't as musically inclined as others, especially when it comes to learning an instrument. That doesn't mean they are less intelligent, they just don't have the passion, love, or sense of adventure for music itself.  There are physicists out there that can do complex mathematical equations in their head, but they can't carry a tune in a bag.
I have a friend just like that who is a physicist, artist, mechanic, and an extremely smart business man among many other things yet he prefers simple music. I've let him borrow some of my prog music cd's and he couldn't stand the bands I love like DT, and I know he is far more intelligent than me. It just comes down to a matter of taste, I think... Everybody's brain perceives things differently and that's why there are so many different kinds of music.
If you like country and rap, then your just stupid...JK.  :biggrin:   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:02:28 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP