Poll

Is there a correlation to intelligence and listening to certain kind of music?

Yes
7 (21.9%)
No
18 (56.3%)
Unsure
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Is there a correlation to intelligence and listening to certain kind of music?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline WildRanger

Yes or no? What would you say?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, what have we here!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I clicked no, but it really depends since your question is too vague.

How are you defining intelligence? Without that, it can’t be measured.

How strong of a correlation are you talking about? Any? Significant? There’s likely some, but no idea how significant it is. Again, depends on definitions of intelligence.

Are you talking inclusive or exclusive tastes? Meaning, is liking Beethoven correlated for someone who also loves Lil Wayne too? Or do you have to not like Lil Wayne?

What age? Likely people in their 20s and 70s listen to different types of music based solely on how/when they grew up. Are we looking at equivalencies for different generations?

I’ll wait for your answers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I clicked yes, but it really depends since your question is too vague.

How strong of a correlation are you talking about? Any? Significant? There’s likely some, but no idea how significant it is. Again, depends on definitions of intelligence.

Are you talking inclusive or exclusive tastes? Meaning, is liking Beethoven correlated for someone who also loves Lil Wayne too? Or do you have to not like Lil Wayne?

What age? Likely people in their 20s and 70s listen to different types of music based solely on how/when they grew up. Are we looking at equivalencies for different generations?

I’ll wait for your answers.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

Offline 425

It's like you saw my post sort of defending you in the other thread and decided to make me look dumb. :lol

The question of whether there is a correlation would be a scientific question. We would have to take a representative sample of the population, ask them what type of music they listen to, and conduct an intelligence test. (Part of the challenge with such an experiment would be that the validity of intelligence tests like IQ is hotly debated.) We cannot answer a question like this in a poll.

And if there was a correlation, what would it prove? It would not prove that certain kinds of music make people smarter, or that intelligence causes people to enjoy certain kinds of music.

And then, even if, hypothetically, there was some sort of causal relationship at work here... would that cause you to change what you listen to? Because I've seen the kind of music you post favorably about, and I have to say, if in some way there really was a certain kind of music that was associate with intelligence, I really doubt that it would be "rock music from the 70s and 80s." It would probably be, like, Beethoven. So if a scientific study came out proving that 80s rock is for dumb-dumbs and smart people listen to Beethoven, would you give away all your 80s rock and replace it with a bunch of Beethoven recordings? If not, then why does this matter to you?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Don't know, man. I'm leaning on nope because taste and intelligence (which one, btw? Are we sure there is only one kind of intelligence?) seem unrelated to me.

The question is a bit vague; maybe if you unpack it a bit I can get what you mean

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline WildRanger

Well, what have we here!

Another discussion.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline WildRanger

Most common definition for intelligent person: a person who has a high IQ

Online Adami

So an FSIQ of 110 or above? That’s high average. What about 120 or above? That’s superior. 130 and above is very superior. What’s your cutoff score?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Congrats on 30,5k! :partyinpartyinyeah:
Squ

Offline WildRanger

Don't know, man. I'm leaning on nope because taste and intelligence (which one, btw? Are we sure there is only one kind of intelligence?) seem unrelated to me.

The question is a bit vague; maybe if you unpack it a bit I can get what you mean

OK. In your opinion, do people who have a high IQ tend to listen music like Beethoven, John Coltrane and Yes insted of Duran Duran, George Michael, Journey, KISS, Britney Spears, etc.

Offline WildRanger

troll

Can you contribute to this thread or NOT?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
troll

Can you contribute to this thread or NOT?

The irony is strong with the troll

Serious question, are you on the spectrum? You probably won't answer so whatever
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

So an FSIQ of 110 or above? That’s high average. What about 120 or above? That’s superior. 130 and above is very superior. What’s your cutoff score?

I’d actually be happy to help research your question, but my questions need to be answered first.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

The question doesn’t ask for ‘taste’, merely for ‘listening to’.
Squ

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->

The question doesn’t ask for ‘taste’, merely for ‘listening to’.

:lol  I was assuming freewill

OK. In your opinion, do people who have a high IQ tend to listen music like Beethoven, John Coltrane and Yes insted of Duran Duran, George Michael, Journey, KISS, Britney Spears, etc.

In my opinion, no. Heck, I've been listening to Beethoven my whole life and I'm a bona fide dumbfock.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

No because I'm not that intelligent and I love complex musical pieces.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Not this shit again... How many more threads do we need where this exact same topic is discussed?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Until the troll is slain it will continue terrorizing the townspeople

Where is our Gaston to this Beast?

Offline 425

I mean, we act surprised, but he really told us in his username that his threads were going to range wildly across the forum.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->

Katt, if WR is a troll (and I don't believe he is, but that's irrelevant), don't you think the one above is the exact response he's aiming to elicit?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Katt, if WR is troll (and I don't believe he is, but that's irrelevant), don't you think the one above is the exact response he's aiming to elicit?

Get that high intellect stuff out of here.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I don't believe WildRanger is a troll, but that's irrelevant

Neither do I, to be honest.
Squ

Offline NoseofNicko

Yeah he’s not a troll. He’s just..... special.

Offline 425

I also don't think he's a troll. There are a lot of people online who hold basically his exact beliefs. There are a fair few even in the archives of this forum. They just don't tend to stick around this community for long, because the culture here is so much not that.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I feel there was a time when these threads were a lot less frequent and the topic itself actually made some sense and there was at least grounds for discussion. Coming tomorrow: "Are apples a better fruit than DT is a prog band?"

Online MirrorMask

I don't ccnsider him a troll either. He just has a very peculiar and perplexing way to see message boards and music opinions.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Given how he cherry picks which questions to respond to, the nature of his incessant polling with nebulous questions, ignorance of well thought out replies, and insistence that there is some objective, intellectual superiority to enjoying music, I can only surmise he is either greatly on the spectrum, which is fine and would explain a lot of this, or he is a fantastic troll. I struggle to accept that someone so adamant in the belief of intellectual superiority and its relationship to the commercial success of artists would be so shallow in his responses and analysis of other comments, never mind his lack of participation in the countless pointless threads he creates, and his flagrant display of his complete lack of knowledge on the history of things he boasts about, like how classical music wasn't made for dancing or entertainment.

He will not respond to this just like he wouldn't respond when I asked him 3 times what he thought of my musical taste when I told him I listen to both classical and pop music or any number of other simple questions he's been asked.

Whether he looks for this response or not doesn't really matter to me, because I think at this point it's a fruitless endeavor to try to squeeze more BS out of him.

Troll.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I find some of the OP's threads to be quite bizarre as well, but he is obviously not a troll, and this attempt to bully him away from the forum is kind of sad. If you don't like his threads, or anyone else's, DON'T POST IN THEM.  Problem solved, people. Good grief.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Happy Memorial Day to you as well, Kev! :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
this attempt to bully him away from the forum is kind of sad

For the record, and just to clarify, this is absolutely not my intention. Though, as I mentioned in the previous thread of his, it does get rather frustrating when he dumps a question or statement and when I ask questions in return - to spark a discussion basically, I'm here to talk about this kind of stuff, let's focking do it then! - all my substantive question just get ignored. That's not really how to discuss stuff with people and that frustrates me at least a little. I try to engage, by replying, by asking questions in return, because somewhere in the ridiculous questions WildRanger posts, there's a lot of room for fantastic debate.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I get that that can be frustrating, but no one is required any question asked of them, even in threads they start.  That said, I get why some avoid his threads now for that very reason.