Author Topic: Why is Geddy Lee so polarizing vocalist?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline WildRanger

Why is Geddy Lee so polarizing vocalist?
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:53:54 AM »
What do you think? Why?
He is one of the vocalists who belongs to "acquired taste" category. People either love or can't stand his voice.
And it seems that Geddy's vocals is the main reason why so many people don't dig Rush.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Why is Geddy Lee so polarizing vocalist?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 12:06:06 PM »
Not again :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 12:08:29 PM »
Go back to the tall mountain from whence you lumbered, troll
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »
About time we applied :bosk1:. We know this guy's game now, and he's never going to change. I'm honestly amazed he's got away with it for as long as he has.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »
I don’t think someone deserves to be banned for being immature and dumb.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 12:31:08 PM »
Without questioning the validity of this thread, is there anything in that first post that is so outlandish?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 12:36:05 PM »
Evidently.  I know this guy that thinks he's such a music buff/guru and said he's all diversified and all that happy horsecrap etc.  He said he can't stand Rush because of the voice, and sais he changes the radio station every time a Rush song comes on.
 Every time somebody sais something like that I want to to punch them in the mouth and tell them to get a freakin clue!  :biggrin: :chill
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 01:14:46 PM »
What do you think? Why?
He is one of the vocalists who belongs to "acquired taste" category. People either love or can't stand his voice.
And it seems that Geddy's vocals is the main reason why so many people don't dig Rush.

WR, the bolded part is such a focking shining ray of hope, it brings tears to my eyes. That is exactly the way to go, one step at the time.

Said that, the premise is still a bit of an assumption, I'm afraid.

I don't hate Geddy's voice, I don't love Geddy's voice. Am I not People? Soylent Green is people!

You may want to work on that as your next improvement.

Still proud though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 01:30:44 PM »
Indiscipline, please rewrite the OP in bizarro fashion.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 01:38:20 PM »
Indi is people? I thought he was omnipresent?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 01:42:46 PM »
About time we applied :bosk1:. We know this guy's game now, and he's never going to change. I'm honestly amazed he's got away with it for as long as he has.
some people even asked me if he hacked my account, seriously. I don't think he did though. (and I wouldn't reproach him for it)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 02:43:19 PM »
Maybe it's a reinscarnation
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 02:45:34 PM »
His voice his high pitched and a bit thin.

There you go.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 03:54:12 PM »
Well, in order for us to properly answer this question, we have to first ask the OP, what points can you make that think that Geddy isn't a polarizing vocalist?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »
Polarize me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »

Offline 425

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 04:32:32 PM »
On the early Rush albums, Geddy hardly does what would be conventionally recognized as singing. I mean, it is singing, but it's really squeaky and heavy on the wailing. Later on, he stops doing that quite so much, but his voice is still sort of throaty and squeaky.

Even if one doesn't mind this (I do mind it in the early stuff, not so much later), I don't see why it should be such a mystery that other people do mind? He doesn't have the sort of tone that people typically love. He's not a particularly talented singer in the easily measurable aspects like range. I have a hard time imagining any band seeking him out just for his singing, leaving aside his ability as a bass player or composer. Rush is, like, a prototypical case of a band deciding not to hire a dedicated singer and having one of the members whose voice they find suitable [edit: meant to say: "serviceable"] take on the lead vocals.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:38:30 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 04:34:03 PM »
On the early Rush albums, Geddy hardly does what would be conventionally recognized as singing. I mean, it is singing, but it's really squeaky and heavy on the wailing. Later on, he stops doing that quite so much, but his voice is still sort of throaty and squeaky.

Even if one doesn't mind this (I do mind it in the early stuff, not so much later), I don't see why it should be such a mystery that other people do mind? He doesn't have the sort of tone that people typically love. He's not a particularly talented singer in the easily measurable aspects like range. I have a hard time imagining any band seeking him out just for his singing, leaving aside his ability as a bass player or composer. Rush is, like, a prototypical case of a band deciding not to hire a dedicated singer and having one of the members whose voice they find suitable take on the lead vocals.

Well said.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 05:17:42 PM »
Rush Rules  :metal

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »
Without questioning the validity of this thread, is there anything in that first post that is so outlandish?

It's not this thread specifically, it's WildRanger that's the problem. He only ever surfaces to stir controversy, to create all these needless threads, without further contributing to the conversation. The vast majority of the bands have their own threads on the forum already. Why not just post these same questions in the respective band threads rather than clutter up the forum?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 10:33:34 AM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 05:15:06 PM »

It's not this thread specifically, it's WildRanger that's the problem. He only ever surfaces to stir controversy, to create all these needless threads, without further contributing to the conversation. The vast majority of the bands have their own threads on the forum already. Why not just post these same questions in the respective band threads rather than clutter up the forum?

Yup. Also he answered his own question. Move along, nothing to see here.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 06:10:12 PM »
Nope. Merely people shooting at the messenger. And considering who sings for this forum's namesake band you'd think polarizing singers would be ripe for discussion.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 06:14:17 PM »
Why not just post these same questions in the respective band threads rather than clutter up the forum?

Because starting a new thread almost always gets more replies that bumping the band thread.

Cluttering up the forum?  It's a discussion forum. "OH NO, WE CAN'T HAVE MORE DISCUSSION!!!"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 06:16:42 PM »
Nope. Merely people shooting at the messenger. And considering who sings for this forum's namesake band you'd think polarizing singers would be ripe for discussion.

The message is from someone that is upsetting the majority.

Me, I have a fun time harassing him back. 

Why not just post these same questions in the respective band threads rather than clutter up the forum?

Because starting a new thread almost always gets more replies that bumping the band thread.

Cluttering up the forum?  It's a discussion forum. "OH NO, WE CAN'T HAVE MORE DISCUSSION!!!"

But I can't look at a new thread! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 06:19:01 PM »
Yay, here we go again!!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 06:32:24 PM »

Upsetting the majority is a noble gesture in my book. Except ideally it should take something a bit more offensive than merely posing a surprisingly benign question about Geddy Lee.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 06:40:59 PM »

Upsetting the majority is a noble gesture in my book. Except ideally it should take something a bit more offensive than merely posing a surprisingly benign question about Geddy Lee.

I’d take a gander through his threads. I can assure you, the question of the thread isn’t upsetting anyone in and of itself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 07:17:31 PM »

He's posted so many of these obvious questions that it upsets most. He also only ask these type of questions.   I love a debate which I know you do but let's be honest.

All know why Geddy's voice isn't for all

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2020, 07:34:28 PM »
I'm not a big Rush fan in general, but I'm much more tolerant of Geddy's vocals than I was 20 years ago.

The bigger concern for me is the grammar of the thread title.

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2020, 07:41:42 PM »
I'm not a big Rush fan in general, but I'm much more tolerant of Geddy's vocals than I was 20 years ago.

Why is grammar so concern?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »
It seems to upset people these days. Trust me.  Lol.
L

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2020, 08:02:36 PM »

I just have a penchant for intelligent conversation.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 09:02:40 PM »

I just have a penchant for intelligent conversation.

And yet you still hang around with us...

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2020, 10:30:55 PM »

I’d take a gander through his threads. I can assure you, the question of the thread isn’t upsetting anyone in and of itself.
I've posted in plenty of this threads, but per your advice I just went back to look at his last 20 or so topics. Damn near all of them generate 2 or 3 pages worth of discussion, and people are generally good mannered. You participate in most of them. Every once in a while he posts a question that people don't like and then suddenly everybody comes out of the woodwork to post about what a horrible excuse for a human being he is. Gotta be honest, he's not the bad guy here. One person said he plonked him, which seems pretty silly to me, but at least he's approaching it the right way and not taking time from his life to insult some guy for posting a question to a music forum.
E.F. Benson