"Trevor Rabin Appreciation Thread"

Started by Architeuthis, May 21, 2020, 12:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

devieira73



King Postwhore

Both songs are fantastic. Can't wait for this album.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Kinger on September 08, 2023, 08:04:16 PM
Both songs are fantastic. Can't wait for this album.
Same, really enjoyed both singles.

devieira73

Great interview, covering A LOT of his career:
https://domino.elfworld.org/trevor-rabin-from-hit-songs-to-hit-films/?fbclid=IwAR0Si7MC8ey50WhA3css43Qad8B4pVKWsIHmv_fxtCjfvFmxweAEFkn18Rw

By the way, Chris recorded 98% of the bass on Talk :tup
Still there's no convicing answer to why he, Anderson and Wakeman didn't make a studio album.

romdrums

Quote from: devieira73 on October 03, 2023, 08:01:30 AM
Great interview, covering A LOT of his career:
https://domino.elfworld.org/trevor-rabin-from-hit-songs-to-hit-films/?fbclid=IwAR0Si7MC8ey50WhA3css43Qad8B4pVKWsIHmv_fxtCjfvFmxweAEFkn18Rw

By the way, Chris recorded 98% of the bass on Talk :tup
Still there's no convicing answer to why he, Anderson and Wakeman didn't make a studio album.

Nice dig at Steve Howe in there as well in reference to Rick's speech at Yes' Rock n Roll HOF induction.  First, he was surprised that Steve Howe complained about that speech in his autobiography, and then replied, "I guess you must have a sense of humor to find it funny, right?"

King Postwhore

From what I heard, Trevor wanted to write and record together in the same room and The other two wanted to just record their parts in their own studio and swap files.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

devieira73

Liking a lot the new album, among the best this year for sure! It's really diverse with some calmer moments, but mostly very intense instrumentally.

MinistroRaven



devieira73


Stadler

Quote from: devieira73 on October 11, 2023, 01:10:49 PM
Quote from: MinistroRaven on October 10, 2023, 07:20:38 AM
Stadler review of the album:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/trevor-rabin-rio-album-review-by-bill-feltovic/

Agreed on almost everything, but I think it's a 8.5 or 9.0/10 album. :tup

I wouldn't disagree with that (I'll share this among friends: I didn't actually rate the record). I know I actually run out and buy about a third of the albums I listen to/review, and this is one of them.  I really dig this record a lot, though I am a big fan of Rabin generally. 

MinistroRaven

Correct, the Rating on the review was added b the editorial team as Stadler submitted the review without it and since the record was already out they didn't want to wait for his reply.

Stadler

Quote from: MinistroRaven on October 12, 2023, 08:28:26 AM
Correct, the Rating on the review was added b the editorial team as Stadler submitted the review without it and since the record was already out they didn't want to wait for his reply.

My bad!!!  It's not far off.  I probably would have said 8.5. 

Architeuthis

 Nice review Stads!  I just ordered Rio and your review makes me even more excited now. I'm wondering if the blu-ray version has visuals along with the 5.1 and stereo 24 bit mix?  I guess I'll find out..

Architeuthis

Just listened to Rio two times and wow, this is a great release! Trevor's guitar playing has only gotten better and he really cuts loose on this album.  His vocals are just as good as ever with good song writing. Very fresh sounding and inspired..
He's been hinting about a follow up tour with this music.  :coolio

Orbert

I just listened to "Push".  (Tried to watch it, too, but it was a bit too frenetic for me.)  Pretty cool song, very proggy, a lot of different ideas somehow coming together.  I also read Stadler's review and agree with nearly all of it, at least as it pertains to "Push".  The keyboard work was surprising.  I knew he could play, but I guess I was expecting "support" keys for the most part, not piano right up front duking it out with the guitars.  That atonal riff at the end as the song fades out was pretty cool.

KevShmev

The new album is really good!  Oklahoma is almost too good for words, and I love Goodbye to pieces.  I will get a lot of mileage out of this one.  I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy his natural singing voice; it's great to hear it again.  These Tears is particularly great as well.

My only beef is the overreliance on that damn vocoder vocal effect, but Trevor loves those layered harmonies, and I get that he is taking advantage of the modern technology.  Things like the beginning of Tumbleweed just sound like a computer is singing and the humanity is largely removed. 

King Postwhore

When you make an album all buy yourself you'll get that vocoder vocal effect.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Orbert

That's always been an issue with Rabin's production.  It actually sounds "too perfect" a lot of the time.  Too clean and shiny, too exact.

Stadler

Quote from: KevShmev on October 26, 2023, 07:36:10 PM
The new album is really good!  Oklahoma is almost too good for words, and I love Goodbye to pieces.  I will get a lot of mileage out of this one.  I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy his natural singing voice; it's great to hear it again.  These Tears is particularly great as well.

My only beef is the overreliance on that damn vocoder vocal effect, but Trevor loves those layered harmonies, and I get that he is taking advantage of the modern technology.  Things like the beginning of Tumbleweed just sound like a computer is singing and the humanity is largely removed.

I agree; I tried to say that in the review. He's such a good singer, too!

KevShmev

It's been great seeing him doing the rounds with interviews (although the interviewers who want to spend a big chunk talking about a solo make me face palm every time).  His memory for things from many years ago is amazing.  He remember specific details about how Yes recorded this song or that song from the 80s.  And I never knew that he had originally written Love Will Find a Way for Stevie Nicks, but it stayed with Yes after Alan White heard the demo and insisted that they keep it.

King Postwhore

Man, I need to watch a few interviews, then.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.